Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Woofer posted:

I haven’t followed much recently but I’ve started catching up and I’m probably bringing stuff up that’s been beat to death but...

GGG looked old as gently caress in his fight against Derevyanchenko. I know he had the flu or whatever but he looked really, really bad.

Canelo didn’t impress me either, but Kovalev is a much better opponent than Derevyanchenko is, right?

I guess what I’m saying is why should GGG get another shot at Canelo if he doesn’t beat Szeremeta convincingly inside of a few rounds?

I love GGG and will go to my grave saying he got robbed in the first fight with Canelo, and I think based on that alone he deserves it, but dude is 37 and definitely looked like he will get smoked by a 30 year old Canelo.

In some ways we've kind of moved past that point. Canelo is winning fights at 175 and 168 and is just generally hunting down the biggest fights he can. If Golovkin looks great against Szeremeta, then the biggest fight might be Golovkin.

Not sure why Canelo didn't impress you by absolutely merking a boogey man at light heavy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Jump King posted:

In some ways we've kind of moved past that point. Canelo is winning fights at 175 and 168 and is just generally hunting down the biggest fights he can. If Golovkin looks great against Szeremeta, then the biggest fight might be Golovkin.

Not sure why Canelo didn't impress you by absolutely merking a boogey man at light heavy tho

The fight seemed pretty even to me. Canelo was up only a round or two before the KO. Even Kovalev said he shouldn't have been in that fight but he did it for a payday.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean I'm a Kovalev hater so I agree its not the best win in the world, but Canelo loving iced him at 175lbs, it's hard to win fights against bigger dudes like that and its especially rare to loving clobber them like that.

Regardless, Canelo has as a fight against Callum Smith next. Smith is a super middleweight, not a light heavyweight, but he's even bigger than Kovalev.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

What's the lightest Shields could get to? Wouldn't that be her biggest issue, fighting a heavy enough opponent?

PFL has a 155-lb women's division for Kayla Harrison, and Shields has mostly fought at 160 (boxing middleweight) but recently won a belt at 154 (light middleweight).

Could she potentially cut to 145, aka Cyborgweight and simultaneously the heaviest division the UFC has for women and the one that has exactly one person in its current rankings list? We don't know.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Will a DAZN subscription get me the GGG and Canelo fights later this month or would I have to pay extra?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Woofer posted:

Will a DAZN subscription get me the GGG and Canelo fights later this month or would I have to pay extra?

As far as I know a sub would get you both

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1334508609632428040?s=19

The future is old men and youtuber (and maybe some old men vs youtuber) fights

Edit: From an Mma mania article the CEO of FITE TV basically attributed it to half buying it for Tyson-Jones and the other half for Jake Paul-Nate Robinson

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/12/2/22024803/tyson-jones-ppv-buys-hit-1-2-million-because-jake-paul-so-famous-boxing

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 3, 2020

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

Edit: From an Mma mania article the CEO of FITE TV basically attributed it to half buying it for Tyson-Jones and the other half for Jake Paul-Nate Robinson

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/12/2/22024803/tyson-jones-ppv-buys-hit-1-2-million-because-jake-paul-so-famous-boxing

Amazing.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

this is from the Ring City card tonight
https://twitter.com/ImShannonTho/status/1334705672001363973?s=20

(Bowser up there ended up winning, 2R TKO)

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 4, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The SituAsian posted:

"Freakshow fights" are definitely here to stay.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Freakshow fights" are definitely here to stay.

I imagine they will continue to do these events until someone gets seriously hurt and the state commissions put the kibosh on them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hmmm, the problem with Jake Paul winning more fights is that the ACs won’t approve 0-0 people trying to kill him. Not that they would.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Hmmm, the problem with Jake Paul winning more fights is that the ACs won’t approve 0-0 people trying to kill him. Not that they would.

Lol there are absolutely states that will do this when crowds come back and they can draw live gates. Texas and California immediately come to mind.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So there's a ppv on rn

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Jump King posted:

So there's a ppv on rn

and a pretty good one so far at that! flores/ramirez was excellent and lopez/santana also off to a promising start.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Going with a good stoppage there. That guy's reach/size is just insane. Was he ever touched?

Dec 6, 2017

Digital Jedi posted:

Going with a good stoppage there. That guy's reach/size is just insane. Was he ever touched?

He took one, maybe two to the body? He's hilariously wholesome and definitely a new fave off his post-fight interview alone lol

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

He took one, maybe two to the body? He's hilariously wholesome and definitely a new fave off his post-fight interview alone lol

Yeah, he seems like one to watch.

I had a good laugh when they mentioned him maybe going with one of the Charlos. C'mon guys.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

crawford shown ringside, on a championship infographic, given a callout by porter

pbc is definitely nabbing that dudes contract

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

who y'all got? idk what to expect from spence since the car accident.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I love how Jimmy Lennon Jr basically has to catch that he can't say "It's showtime!" mid-ring announcement, thus totally killing the high point of the pre-fight schtick

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

who y'all got? idk what to expect from spence since the car accident.

I haven't thought much of Garcia for a while now, so I've got Spence (curious to see how he looks following the accident though)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

spence looks sharp. whole card has been reasonably good. I wanna see that big kid fight somebody good.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Spence is sharp and handling shots well

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Garcia just isn't doing enough

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Spence looks very good. I'm not scoring but I think he's got a comfortable lead.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

the situasian just fell asleep in voice while watching this fight

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

don't exactly blame him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

bud wins imo

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Jump King posted:

bud wins imo

If it happens in the next 4 years, ya

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

loving miss the hbo broadcast team so much while watching this

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jump King posted:

loving miss the hbo broadcast team so much while watching this

yeah whoever this joe guy is loving sucks

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Danny should've shown that last 10 second fire in the last few rounds, Christ.

Edit: I look forward to stupid scores, because boxing

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 6, 2020

Dec 6, 2017

Good fight and good effort by Danny but Spence is definitely still himself and prolly difficult for anyone to fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

the situasian just fell asleep in voice while watching this fight

I've had a long day alright :mad:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Spence won that maybe 8-4 or so. Could easily have been wider though, it felt like half the rounds were clear Spence rounds and the other half were close rounds that Danny won a few of. There isn't a single super clear Garcia round there. Maybe the 10th?

Good fight from Spence. If he lost anything in the crash its not enough to be exposed against Danny. That said he didn't look unbeatable either. He definitely felt some of those shots from Danny and took a bit to get up to his usual output.

I hope Crawford gets that fight soon, because I think he beats Spence.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I scored Spence/Garcia 118-110 Spence. Other than rounds 9 and 10 when Spence seemed to be taking a breather, he mostly controlled the fight with his jab and basically just outclassed Garcia, who's more of a B+/A- level fighter, whereas Spence is a solid A level fighter.

As for Spence/Crawford, I'm not sure who's the better fighter at this point, but I will say that Spence is a much bigger guy. Spence typically comes into camps at 190, he's almost 5'10 with a 6 foot reach, he could easily be campaigning at junior middleweight. Meanwhile, Crawford is a former lightweight with a whole junior welterweight career behind him. Hard to see Crawford overcoming Spence's size and speed unless Crawford is a truly generational talent, which he may be.

Hopefully the fight happens next year, because if it doesn't it's starting to get to the point where Crawford may be past his prime, whereas Spence will still be in his.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Given the focus on Crawford (e.g. acknowledging his existence) and the comments both he and Bob Arum have made about each other lately I wouldn't be surprised if it's just announced that Crawford and Top Rnak split and he ends up at PBC sometime next year.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

somehow boxing politics are even stupider than politics politics even in tyool 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

unify the belts
drain the swamp