Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be annoyed. I'm just saying it's a better game with a gamepad, because it's an Ace Combat clone, which are better with a gamepad.

Yes, you are implicitly saying that. When someone says, "I'm annoyed because this feature that I want to use is broken" and you say, "this other feature is better; the feature you want is worse" without even a hint of empathy, you are implying that they shouldn't care that the feature they want is broken, because you see another option as indisputably superior and thus superseding any preference on their part. That's how context works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Shine posted:

Yes, you are implicitly saying that. When someone says, "I'm annoyed because this feature that I want to use is broken" and you say, "this other feature is better; the feature you want is worse" without even a hint of empathy, you are implying that they shouldn't care that the feature they want is broken, because you see another option as indisputably superior and thus superseding any preference on their part. That's how context works.

No, I'm more making a general recommendation to others to not see your post and think "Ah, joystick's hosed for a plane game, not going to play it". I think it'd be better if it said "controller recommended" over joystick. If a game claims to support control methods, it should work fine. There are more people in this thread than just you. Both of our information helps people make informed decisions wrt Project Wingman.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No, I'm more making a general recommendation to others to not see your post and think "Ah, joystick's hosed for a plane game, not going to play it". I think it'd be better if it said "controller recommended" over joystick. If a game claims to support control methods, it should work fine. There are more people in this thread than just you. Both of our information helps people make informed decisions wrt Project Wingman.

Gotcha. It came off more to me like the "your preference doesn't matter because [subjective statement made objectively]" bit, which I've have to jump goons' poo poo about doing a thousand times over the years (never moderate a diet/fitness forum), but I see now where you're coming from, appreciate your clarification, and withdraw any Forums Hatred I was developing for you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/A9DO8Gc.gifv

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ahahahahahaha everybody in that video is a dipshit.

Similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpbTt5BZNk

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shine posted:

Ahahahahahaha everybody in that video is a dipshit.

Similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpbTt5BZNk

Wait, isn't that an Oculus go? It doesn't even have pass through, what the gently caress was she trying to do?

Also, lol at her immediately blaming her son.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Everyone knows the cool guys go skiing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lwpYwVV3EE&t=49s

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

In case anyone was looking at PROZE: Enlightenment the controls are a bit poo poo which causes the puzzles to to act weird (one youtube review I found trying to figure out if it was just me having an issue mentioned that they had to reset their view on multiple occasions to be able to reach the interactive elements of the puzzle.) Also the game is dark enough that you could use it to calibrate the black levels on your HMD.

On a more positive note, for the poster looking for a Spider-Man game this one is kind of fun: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067800/SpiderMan_Far_From_Home_Virtual_Reality/

It's only like 5 minutes long, but you swing around New York and fight a big robot and it has Tom Holland doing the voicework.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8one6 posted:

In case anyone was looking at PROZE: Enlightenment the controls are a bit poo poo which causes the puzzles to to act weird (one youtube review I found trying to figure out if it was just me having an issue mentioned that they had to reset their view on multiple occasions to be able to reach the interactive elements of the puzzle.) Also the game is dark enough that you could use it to calibrate the black levels on your HMD.

On a more positive note, for the poster looking for a Spider-Man game this one is kind of fun: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067800/SpiderMan_Far_From_Home_Virtual_Reality/

It's only like 5 minutes long, but you swing around New York and fight a big robot and it has Tom Holland doing the voicework.

I already linked that! And there's another one for Homecoming so between them you can get a good 15 minutes :cheeky:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Spikes32 posted:

Just got the pistol whip expansion and played the first 3 story maps. It's pretty great except has crashing issues. Anyone else seen this?

Oh my god I've forgotten to check this thread and wasted my life going anything but playing this! Tomorrow evening can't come soon enough.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone have tips on how to diagnose sources of stutter? My PC is a gtx 1080 with ryzen 3700 with nvme storage. When I was previously on WMR, I never had stutters. Now that I switched to quest 2 it occurs every 30-60 seconds. With about a 100ms stutter from the steamvr performance overlay. It occurs with pretty much all vr games that I tried. It occurs using wireless or link cable. I removed as much apps from startup as possible and it still occurs. I have a feeling it's some kind of misconfiguration. I have also tried disabling gaming mode and game bar and geforce overlay as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to diagnose sources of stutter? My PC is a gtx 1080 with ryzen 3700 with nvme storage. When I was previously on WMR, I never had stutters. Now that I switched to quest 2 it occurs every 30-60 seconds. With about a 100ms stutter from the steamvr performance overlay. It occurs with pretty much all vr games that I tried. It occurs using wireless or link cable. I removed as much apps from startup as possible and it still occurs. I have a feeling it's some kind of misconfiguration. I have also tried disabling gaming mode and game bar and geforce overlay as well.

Hey you have the same specs than me! (gpu, cpu, nvme, quest 2). But no idea on how to help you. It happens even in games that don't need a lot of hardware? Just check what other software and services you have running. Anti virtus or malware, or control for motherboard or rgb, whatever.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

Do you have any overclock running on your cpu? I had my 3700x oc'd to 4.2 and it was causing stuttering in some games. Putting it back to stock solved it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

It looks like they're being incredibly conservative on graphics so I would be shocked if they aren't planning on porting to Quest.

You don't stick to forward rendering and then release as SteamVR only. That'd be ridiculous. Although maybe they were working on the best practices of 2016 VR and didn't want to risk going any further IDK.

Ah, I didn't realize it wasn't coming out for quest at all. I remember it being announced as an Oculus exclusive and I'm not sure when that changed, but I assumed that it'd be a Quest game given Oculus' current strategy.

I'm not sure why you think forward rendering is strictly worse though. I believe Alyx uses forward rendering and it's the best looking game in VR. Doom and Doom Eternal are both forward rendered. Forward rendering allows hardware MSAA, which is still highly relevant in VR. Unreal Engine actually provides a forward rendering pipeline specifically for VR.

Even outside of VR, forward vs deferred is a pretty nuanced decision due to the trade-offs each one provides.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sea of losers posted:

has anyone tried running dolphin emulator on quest 2 or ppsspp on quest 1? id try it but i dont have a bluetooth controller. people have reported success with at least the dolphin android port
Tried latest versions of both regular dolphin and dolphin mmjr, and as far as I can tell from the wind waker title screen, performance is fine. The Q2 doesn't want to play nice with my 8bitdo controller so I can't speak to playability.

Also unfortunately like any other sideloaded flat android app the display just sits in your home environment and can't be resized or repositioned unless you're willing to do annoying workaround-y stuff with recentering. One of the two forks (I forget which) is recognised as a media app and dims the environment when you launch a game, which is something I guess, but if you're serious about actually playing gamecube games on your Q2 I'd recommend installing a hacked pure-black home environment to use it with.

Honestly kinda surprised there's not like a retroarch port on sidequest alongside the doom/quake sourceports and the fuckin virtual boy emu, seems like it'd be easy patreon bait. By which I mean I would absolutely pay like £3 a month or something to be able to play tales of symphonia on a virtual imax screen

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

lostleaf posted:

Are you getting USB3 speeds when you do link testing in the Oculus app? I'd start with maybe diagnosing this in Link since wireless can have lots of hard-to-identify factors and maybe you have separate issues causing stutter.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Pretty good posted:

Honestly kinda surprised there's not like a retroarch port on sidequest alongside the doom/quake sourceports and the fuckin virtual boy emu, seems like it'd be easy patreon bait. By which I mean I would absolutely pay like £3 a month or something to be able to play tales of symphonia on a virtual imax screen

It is PC VR only, but 3dsen VR is a cool NES emulator that uses profiles to create cool 3D effects. There's also an editor to create your own profiles, but it has a steep learning curve. I wish there were more projects like it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwT_8tFdSRQ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brownie posted:

Ah, I didn't realize it wasn't coming out for quest at all. I remember it being announced as an Oculus exclusive and I'm not sure when that changed, but I assumed that it'd be a Quest game given Oculus' current strategy.

Its not, we're speculating. That's why I said "I wouldn't be shocked if" instead of "it definitely is and this is why"

Brownie posted:

I'm not sure why you think forward rendering is strictly worse though. I believe Alyx uses forward rendering and it's the best looking game in VR. Doom and Doom Eternal are both forward rendered. Forward rendering allows hardware MSAA, which is still highly relevant in VR. Unreal Engine actually provides a forward rendering pipeline specifically for VR.

Even outside of VR, forward vs deferred is a pretty nuanced decision due to the trade-offs each one provides.

No? Deferred lets you do more with shadows and Forward is faster. That's basically it. Its a tradeoff. "Forward" is what we call the old style pre-deferred. Its not like, an alternative.

E: I guess traditional AA is another reason to use Forward, but we have dozens of AA solutions now for that reason. Non-VR games have basically moved on. And you're not using Forward in VR because of MSAA so much as because of frame latency concerns.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 3, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

From the start of the trailer with the empty environments and the title Contractors Quest I was expecting a construction RPG

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pretty good posted:

This is the classic "there are already several indie games that solve this" but since indie games don't advertise people just don't know about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn4NuIR0JWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woxhEsRwtHs

Also there's no monthly fee its a one time purchase and then you just plug in your emulators and roms. Although they may have a Patreon if you really want :)

And if you just want a virtual IMAX screen you could use Virtual Desktop to play your Emulator too.

Or heck, just play your emulator on desktop mode in SteamVR lmao

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

No? Deferred lets you do more with shadows and Forward is faster. That's basically it. Its a tradeoff. "Forward" is what we call the old style pre-deferred. Its not like, an alternative.

That was true five or ten years ago but deferred rendering hasn't really kept up with the advances made since then. Improved light culling techniques like clustered shading increasingly mean that deferred lighting is becoming less "the method that can handle more lights" and more "the method that can't handle transparency".

MoH may well be using simple lighting techniques in preparation for a quest build but as far as I know most high-end games these days are also back to using forward renderers, not deferred. When they're not raytracing, obviously.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This is the classic "there are already several indie games that solve this" but since indie games don't advertise people just don't know about them
They're not native Quest apps though. The inherent portability of a native app (in a physical sense) as well as the ability to render the screen to a high resolution layer would make it far more convenient to use than PCVR-based emualtors.

There was a guy posting in the DrBeef discord with some shots of a Quest libretro wrapper.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 3, 2020

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Pretty good posted:

Tried latest versions of both regular dolphin and dolphin mmjr, and as far as I can tell from the wind waker title screen, performance is fine. The Q2 doesn't want to play nice with my 8bitdo controller so I can't speak to playability.

Also unfortunately like any other sideloaded flat android app the display just sits in your home environment and can't be resized or repositioned unless you're willing to do annoying workaround-y stuff with recentering. One of the two forks (I forget which) is recognised as a media app and dims the environment when you launch a game, which is something I guess, but if you're serious about actually playing gamecube games on your Q2 I'd recommend installing a hacked pure-black home environment to use it with.

the doom, quake, and upcoming doom3 ports were all done by the same 1-3 ppl. he said he might do quake 3 next since he technically already did with rtcw

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Riatsala posted:

I think I'm actually losing weight playing Skyrim VR and walking in place while moving/jogging in place while sprinting. I've always wanted to play Requiem in VR and goddamn is it everything I've dreamed of, despite the general laziness of the Skyrim VR port.

One of my chargers for my Index controllers broke after only two months. Not a big deal since they're generic USB-Cs, but still disappointing.

Besides the obvious one of video games being legit exercise in 2020 the irony here is how much effective and natural walking/jogging in place is than any of those stupid rear end treadmill things or motorized idiot boots will ever be

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ace Combat has always played worse with a joystick. These kinds of games are designed around a controller. Games that are designed around joysticks are good with joysticks.

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SCheeseman posted:

They're not native Quest apps though. The inherent portability of a native app (in a physical sense) as well as the ability to render the screen to a high resolution layer would make it far more convenient to use than PCVR-based emualtors.

There was a guy posting in the DrBeef discord with some shots of a Quest libretro wrapper.

Having your PC render, sending to your on-head device, which is simulating a portable handheld, that is playing a rom is some inception poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

That was true five or ten years ago but deferred rendering hasn't really kept up with the advances made since then. Improved light culling techniques like clustered shading increasingly mean that deferred lighting is becoming less "the method that can handle more lights" and more "the method that can't handle transparency".

MoH may well be using simple lighting techniques in preparation for a quest build but as far as I know most high-end games these days are also back to using forward renderers, not deferred. When they're not raytracing, obviously.

Hm, hadn't heard that, guess I'm falling behind :sweatdrop: definitely lots of AAA are still using it though.

Even ignoring the forward renderer thing, MoH generally looks very conservative from a graphical point of view. They're either thinking about Quest or they were just terrified of the game not running at the highest frame-rate. But either way, it should be relatively easy to port to Quest considering.

SCheeseman posted:

They're not native Quest apps though.

Ah, my bad. I keep forgetting about the mobile experience because I don't have a Quest.

Still, you can do that with a tether a half dozen ways at least. It'll probably get a sideload solution eventually.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

E: I guess traditional AA is another reason to use Forward, but we have dozens of AA solutions now for that reason. Non-VR games have basically moved on. And you're not using Forward in VR because of MSAA so much as because of frame latency concerns.

You're just incorrect here. There is no inherent frame latency when using a deferred system. You can implement a Deferred renderer with zero frame latency just like you can a forward renderer -- I've done it, actually. Both "Forward" and "Deferred" now have many different variations that have additional tradeoffs in terms of complexity, performance and hardware support. I also do not know what you mean by "lets you do more with shadows".

Deferred rendering's original benefit was that it enabled you to only shade a pixel once per each light that touches it, which was impossible to do with forward rendering at the time. This enabled you to have an order of magnitude more dynamic lights than in forward (with caveats around overlapping lights) with less overdraw due to occluded objects. It also enabled the use of decals in a trivial way. However it came with specific trade-offs, most importantly much higher bandwidth usage due to the precision requirements of G-buffers, lack of hardware AA and total lack of support for transparency/transmission. People have worked around these problems using increasingly complex/clever G-buffer packing schemes, post process AA and having a separate forward pipeline for transparent objects/effects.

However, with the advent of depth prepasses, GPU compute, more flexible resource binding and methods like tiled or clustered light binning, the advantage that deferred once offered has been pretty significantly reduced (again, with the trade off that these newer methods sharply increase complexity). With these methods, forward rendering is a completely viable choice since like 2015. (The paper that covered clustered rendering was published in 2012 i think)

In reality, there's been a lot of work put into deferred rendering pipelines for the past ~10 years which work around a bunch of its limitations, which is why people aren't necessarily dropping deferred anytime soon. And like you say, some people think hardware AA has been rendered totally obsolete due to higher pixel counts and post process AA, but none of that really applies in VR where geometric complexity and the solid angle per pixel is so much greater than in traditional games. The bandwidth requirements of VR (higher FPS + higher resolution) make that specific drawback of deferred much much more pronounced.

It is not a matter of opinion that different rendering techniques that accomplish the same thing come with their own set of trade offs. That is just the nature of graphics development -- everything comes with trade offs and there is no "right answer".

There are additional trade offs between the two I haven't covered here that are covered in the text book Real Time Rendering vol 4. And if you're interested, here's a great breakdown of how Doom Eternal renders a frame with forward rendering: https://simoncoenen.com/blog/programming/graphics/DoomEternalStudy.html

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brownie posted:

I also do not know what you mean by "lets you do more with shadows".

Deferred rendering's original benefit was that it enabled you to only shade a pixel once per each light that touches it, which was impossible to do with forward rendering at the time. This enabled you to have an order of magnitude more dynamic lights than in forward

Congrats you've answered your own question

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

The number of shadow casting lights you have is orthogonal to deferred vs forward. Most lights in games are not shadow casting -- if you have hundreds or thousands of dynamic lights in a scene, only a handful will actually cast shadows. (Ignoring recent techniques which involve shadow map compression and shadow map diffing).

It's weird you're still being a dick when you were _just_ being snide about something you're clearly not an expert in.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Has anyone made a good VR moba? Seems like that would be fun if executed well.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

gently caress Man posted:

Has anyone made a good VR moba? Seems like that would be fun if executed well.

Yeah. Squadrons.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Brownie posted:

It's weird you're still being a dick when you were _just_ being snide about something you're clearly not an expert in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916946#post508941144

For anyone else it would be weird! For Zaphod42, it's Tuesday. Disregard and move on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zaphod42 posted:

Come on.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Super Foul Egg posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916946#post508941144

For anyone else it would be weird! For Zaphod42, it's Tuesday. Disregard and move on.

Zaphod's post was rude, but I don't think the point of that rules post was "link to this and dunk on the person when they do something you don't like."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s useful context for someone engaging in good faith without good knowledge of their conversational partner. Putting it in the rules thread makes me feel like the mods expect everyone to be aware of it, so a reminder seems harmless at worst.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
We were talking about narrative vr projects in a film class this morning and we watched some of these: https://www.with.in/

There is an app in the quest store as well, some of them are pretty cool if anyone wants some more free vr movie content.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Reminder to someone clearly unaware was the intent but I'll cop that it was phrased dickishly, at a time when extra care should have been taken to avoid doing so. I return to Not Posting for the benefit of all. *dickish post-apology bon mot that further inflames the situation would normally go here*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

What games offer the best aerial mobility? Flying, hang gliding, jetpack, etc... I'm looking for something fast paced.