Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iirc companies usually make special print runs of black friday movi s that are cheaper and that's why you run into instances of no digital code or missing the disc as they don't have QA on the runs. I know disney definitely did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Don't loan something if you're not okay with giving it away. You can still hope it's returned, but you should operate as if it won't be.

My Clerks 10th anniversary DVD has been MIA since 2006. On the other hand, my DVD of Napoleon Dynamite made it all the way around that same office and I still have it in my possession to this day (although someone's kid destroyed the case, so it's in a PS2 case now)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Empress Brosephine posted:

Iirc companies usually make special print runs of black friday movi s that are cheaper and that's why you run into instances of no digital code or missing the disc as they don't have QA on the runs. I know disney definitely did this

Same goes for Black Friday electronics, there's a reason you can buy a huge TV for the fraction of the cost on Black Friday, you'll have to replace it in 3 to 5 years.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Iron Crowned posted:

Same goes for Black Friday electronics, there's a reason you can buy a huge TV for the fraction of the cost on Black Friday, you'll have to replace it in 3 to 5 years.

I mean, Wal-Mart just straight up does this poo poo as part of its normal business practices.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Don't loan something if you're not okay with giving it away. You can still hope it's returned, but you should operate as if it won't be.

That’s why I stake out the homes of people I lend things to, and steal stuff from them that I secretly return to them when I get my movie back. People who don’t return my stuff also tend to be more likely to have an “accident” that coincidentally ties thematically to the movie they’re borrowing, but I can neither confirm nor deny any correlation. :ninja:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 3, 2020

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Best part of the current generation of media is that they pretty much all come with a blu-ray that, as far as I'm concerned, is for lending out. Most people can't play an UHD disc anyway, so why give them the whole package when you can slip a blu-ray into an old CD sleeve and not worry about it. Digital copies are handy too, I just give my VUDU login to close friends and family.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

Best part of the current generation of media is that they pretty much all come with a blu-ray that, as far as I'm concerned, is for lending out. Most people can't play an UHD disc anyway, so why give them the whole package when you can slip a blu-ray into an old CD sleeve and not worry about it. Digital copies are handy too, I just give my VUDU login to close friends and family.

Yea, I mentioned before that I only lend stuff out if I have a duplicate copy, and actually that's pretty much the norm these days because even before UHD the regular blu rays often came with DVD copies. So it's pretty rare that I buy a movie and only end up with a single copy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, I mentioned before that I only lend stuff out if I have a duplicate copy, and actually that's pretty much the norm these days because even before UHD the regular blu rays often came with DVD copies. So it's pretty rare that I buy a movie and only end up with a single copy.

I never understood why Blus came with DVDs, at least with the UHDs, the Blu disc is essentially the disc for bonus features, but there was never anything "extra" about the DVD

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I never understood why Blus came with DVDs, at least with the UHDs, the Blu disc is essentially the disc for bonus features, but there was never anything "extra" about the DVD

I think the idea is that it allows people to just buy the movie once, and even if they don't have Blu ray/UHD capability at that moment they're still covered if they decide to upgrade later. I know some posters here have definitely mentioned that they'd bought some UHDs with the idea that they'd be upgrading to 4k at some point in the next year, and hey in the meantime I still have the blu ray to watch. The same thing applied to DVD/Blu ray at the time, a lot of people hadn't moved on to blu yet, but they knew they were going to and they probably didn't want to spend money on just a regular DVD that they'd be tempted to upgrade later, so the combo pack is perfect.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Iron Crowned posted:

In the case of family movies, the answer is "backseat infotainment system"

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I convinced people with only DVD players to buy Blu/DVD combo packs all the time, especially when they were cheaper.

It’s the same reason I have now convinced myself to buy 4K discs. It’ll be worth it in the long run, especially if it’s only a few dollars.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

I'm not sure I know a single other person in my city who has a Blu-ray player, let alone a UHD player. Everyone just streams, or is a movie dork who lives across the country. So for me, those extra discs are just more unnecessary plastic waste.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

In the case of family movies, the answer is "backseat infotainment system"

I always just figured those movies were never meant to be enjoyed.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I convinced people with only DVD players to buy Blu/DVD combo packs all the time, especially when they were cheaper.

It’s the same reason I have now convinced myself to buy 4K discs. It’ll be worth it in the long run, especially if it’s only a few dollars.

It makes sense, I guess my outlook on it was tainted by the fact that I was poor when Blu-Rays hit the scene, so I just continued buying DVDs until I had Blu-Ray player.

EDIT:

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not sure I know a single other person in my city who has a Blu-ray player, let alone a UHD player. Everyone just streams, or is a movie dork who lives across the country. So for me, those extra discs are just more unnecessary plastic waste.

:same:

Even my roommate streams despite the fact that I have a huge tower of movies that she could watch. Never mind the fact that at this point a whole lot of them are from Vinegar Syndrome.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 3, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

Even my roommate streams despite the fact that I have a huge tower of movies that she could watch. Never mind the fact that at this point a whole lot of them are from Vinegar Syndrome.

So they're all must watch movies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Alec Eiffel posted:

This. I was picking up new release UHDs maybe a year before I got my player. Just made the most sense. What was tough was stuff like Gremlins where I finally breakdown and buy the BluRay then the UHD is announced like... 8 months later.

I got my PS3 at the height of Best Buy’s promotion where you could bring in a DVD movie (any DVD movie) and get $5 towards a Blu-Ray. A lot of upgrades. A lot of getting rid of stuff I’ll never watch again. That would have been like 2011/2012, so 5-6 years after the format showed up.

It’ll be interesting where things go from here. A LOT of the UHDs I saw on deep discount this Black Friday, I saw last year too. Like Blade Runner 2049. And I just wonder about that. Does it indicate something about the medium?

Total Recall on Tuesday! Anyone else psyched? I haven’t had it on home media before, and it was the first movie that I saw with my GF a couple years back.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I got into the habit of bringing over blu rays to a friends house. Usually 2k or 4k restorations, like Criterions or some restorations of classics. My friends started noticing the quality in pictures and sound, especially when we'd stream something afterwards. Now they regularly ask me if I can bring them "any new 4ks or restorations I've bought recently". They upgraded their TV, and want to start buying physical media again when they get a Xbox or PS5.

This is 2 friends out of a dozen, but it's fun that they share the enthusiasm and can tell the difference, even if they don't care about film collection or restoration culture as much.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh and to the Goon who didn’t get his LOTR Steelbook, they’re back in stock: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-lo...p?skuId=6420422

I meant to tell you to keep an eye out. This sometimes happens w Steelbook.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm debating about buying it since I have the regular version in my hands and some people elsewhere are reporting the same issue as me but it randomly got a tracking number, which would be extra sweet since BB refunded me lol. Thanks for lookin out

E: gently caress it, I'll gift this standard version

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

That’s why I stake out the homes of people I lend things to, and steal stuff from them that I secretly return to them when I get my movie back. People who don’t return my stuff also tend to be more likely to have an “accident” that coincidentally ties thematically to the movie they’re borrowing, but I can neither confirm nor deny any correlation. :ninja:

I fear for the person who has your Alien blu-rays.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’ll be interesting where things go from here. A LOT of the UHDs I saw on deep discount this Black Friday, I saw last year too. Like Blade Runner 2049. And I just wonder about that. Does it indicate something about the medium?

Probably not, given that they keep releasing stuff on the medium. Even Disney released their new Mulan film on 4K. If the films are making a profit, it could just be a way to encourage sales.

If they weren't constantly releasing catalog titles on 4K along with new films, then yeah, that's cause for alarm. But they keep pushing new product. Obviously, people are buying.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

I fear for the person who has your Alien blu-rays.

I have a little Alien shrine made up of the Alien Legacy DVD set, the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set, Alien Anthology Blu-Ray set, and a Steelbook for Alien UHD. I used to have the Todd MacFarlane Queen set, but the old gal broke after like.... 16+ years. A lot of it in the direct sunlight. Still have the colonist portion of it though.

Anyway, I love physical media.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Probably not, given that they keep releasing stuff on the medium. Even Disney released their new Mulan film on 4K. If the films are making a profit, it could just be a way to encourage sales.

If they weren't constantly releasing catalog titles on 4K along with new films, then yeah, that's cause for alarm. But they keep pushing new product. Obviously, people are buying.

Great point. I’d be interested to know where and what. Like, is there a greater appreciation for 4K or BluRay in Alaska or other Internet-poor locales? I wonder how much of it could be considered a pre-emptive measure as well. “Hey don’t investigate us for our monopoly on media, we offer physical media for those who can’t use our streaming platform.”

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 4, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So I've been wondering why the Let It Be blu-ray never happened and it turns out that Disney are the rights holders. So get ready to never have that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So I've been wondering why the Let It Be blu-ray never happened and it turns out that Disney are the rights holders. So get ready to never have that.

It didn't happen because the new edit of that footage Jackson was doing to go with it got pushed back. It's still coming. The Beatles themselves mostly control that stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It didn't happen because the new edit of that footage Jackson was doing to go with it got pushed back. It's still coming. The Beatles themselves mostly control that stuff.

Something something original cuts of Star Wars something something The Whole Bloody Affair.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Something something original cuts of Star Wars something something The Whole Bloody Affair.

That’s why I got copies of the Despecialized Editions with their silly amount of special features and made my own 3-disc sets with the original blu-rays so I’ve got both versions of each movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

That’s why I got copies of the Despecialized Editions with their silly amount of special features and made my own 3-disc sets with the original blu-rays so I’ve got both versions of each movie.

I have a bootleg of Let It Be which is as far as I've ever seen the best quality, but obviously that's nowhere near as good as a blu-ray would do. A lot of the bootlegs and what floated around online for a long time had audio that was out of sync, which is no big deal in a movie about music! I think the one I have is sourced from a laserdisc or very possibly a first generation VHS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xenomrph posted:

I'm all about that 4K77 now, until Mike Verta releases his scans from his death bed.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Great, my tv decides to crap out on me a week after the black friday sales are over. Do they ever come back before xmas?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There's always the pre-Superbowl sales

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

They only have distribution rights to the new documentary. The 1970 film is firmly an Apple Corps property, along with Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, and half of Help!

The 1970 film was distributed by United Artists originally (who distributed all the previous Beatles films except MMT), who still had distribution rights through 1980, which is why the one and only laserdisc was issued by Magnetic Video on their behalf.

Disney might handle distribution of the physical release of just the new doc, but Universal Music would do the gift set like the previous ones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

They only have distribution rights to the new documentary. The 1970 film is firmly an Apple Corps property, along with Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, and half of Help!

The 1970 film was distributed by United Artists originally (who distributed all the previous Beatles films except MMT), who still had distribution rights through 1980, which is why the one and only laserdisc was issued by Magnetic Video on their behalf.

Disney might handle distribution of the physical release of just the new doc, but Universal Music would do the gift set like the previous ones.

Thank god. What's the deal with Help!?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Help came out on blu-ray, so did magical mystery tour

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Help came out on blu-ray, so did magical mystery tour

Yeah I have them all except for Help! which I have on DVD. For some reason I thought the Help! blu-ray was OOP. What I was wondering is about the particular situation with the rights to it are.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I have them all except for Help! which I have on DVD. For some reason I thought the Help! blu-ray was OOP. What I was wondering is about the particular situation with the rights to it are.

Walter Shenson, the producer, owned the rights to A Hard Day's Night fully and half of those for Help! as it was a co-production with Subafilms (which became Apple Films/Apple Corps by the time Yellow Submarine was released). However, Apple Corps seems to have all the video rights as the last edition released, the Blu-ray, was through Universal Music (who distributes all Apple Corps stuff now).

Criterion released both on laserdisc, but only A Hard Day's Night is currently distributed by Janus Films.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the best and most affordable way to legitimately own and watch Let It Be is on CED

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe you should just let it be

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The original Let It Be is probably going to be delayed as long as Paul and Ringo are still both alive. Even if the real situation wasn't quite as bad as the legends, it was still a lovely session and the most unhappy as Beatles that they all were.

Across the Abbey Road remaster they did last year were tons of "no, we were still happy and there was a future!" which seems like what the Peter Jackson doc would likely be trying to strongly emphasize. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up getting quietly shelved too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Shiroc posted:

The original Let It Be is probably going to be delayed as long as Paul and Ringo are still both alive. Even if the real situation wasn't quite as bad as the legends, it was still a lovely session and the most unhappy as Beatles that they all were.

Across the Abbey Road remaster they did last year were tons of "no, we were still happy and there was a future!" which seems like what the Peter Jackson doc would likely be trying to strongly emphasize. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up getting quietly shelved too.

Last I heard they don't really give a poo poo anymore and haven't in a long time. I think the problem with the movie has mostly been rights issues or some poo poo.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was George and George's wife who cares, because the movies one scene that is "bad to the image" is George getting mad at Ringo. Ringo didn't care and neither did yoko or Paul, but Olivia was keeping it from release and as far as I know, still was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I thought Paul didn't like the bit where the camera is behind him talking to John and John is just staring directly at the lens not giving a poo poo.

Either way, I have a decent bootleg DVD of it. Its just kind of a weird artifact because the whole thing isn't that interesting outside of the performances. The rest is just for people (which includes me) who just like to see the Beatles hanging out.