Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bruce Campbell as Thrawn

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crosspost from the Spaceballs thread.

ruddiger posted:

The Mandalorian’s ship, the Razor Crest, has massive Eagle-5 energy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not a Honda Civic because it looks like a Honda Civic, it’s a Honda Civic because it is widely recognized to be a highly dependable whip for super poor people that you can easily outmaneuver the cops in because Japanese cars are really funny.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My sources tell me he's traveling coast to coast in a customized van called the Electric Love Cruise Wagon

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

teagone posted:

I know what the complaint is. Only TROS banked hard on nostalgia and got dunked on by a lot of fans, rightfully so. I thought in general people liked TFA despite it being an ANH retread, but it introduced a lot of new characters that, for all its faults, made a lot of people excited for where the ST could go. I know how divisive TLJ is but at least TLJ did its best to try and break the status quo before crawling back to it; it's the only episode of the ST that really does feel truly "fresh", I will agree with that. However, plenty of people liked Rogue One, a movie with brand new characters and had really lovely fanservice (imo). Solo also introduced a bunch of new characters, and apparently a lot of goons here liked it!

The complaint is dumb is what I'm saying, because as I've said previously, ~99% (probably) of the audience watching this show has no idea who Bo-Katan or Ahsoka or Cobb are; they are essentially new characters. That they have storied histories in other media is irrelevant to the narrative in The Mandalorian because their inclusion isn't forcing your "nostalgia feels" in order to connect with the story. If you feel like the show is getting hit with NOSTALGIA TIME whenever something is pulled from a cartoon you or whoever else may have never watched or a book you've never read, then you do you do I guess.

[edit] vvvv Oh poo poo. I removed the thumbnail lmao.

Dude I already said that the episodes were GOOD, even though they had reused characters. I am saying that people being worried about them going OVERBOARD with it have a valid concern because the prequels and sequels did it. I then said that even if they did go overboard it could still be good!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I started watching the Clone Wars theatrical movie. I’m about 35 mins in and it’s honestly not as bad as I’ve been lead to believe. I mean it’s a kids action movie cartoon. You guys were right though, Ahsoka’s whole background is nothing more than she gets off a ship and tells Anakin that she’s his new intern. The “tension” and banter between them is a bit forced and cliched but not horrible. Now I haven’t made it to Baby Jabba yet so maybe that’s were the awful cringe begins.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CelticPredator posted:

Bruce Campbell as Thrawn

Bruce Campbell should come in and just play Sam Axe as a replacement for Cara Dune

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Its a Winnebago that's had most of it's interior removed to make room for the carbon freezing apparatus. When are they bringing that feature back? Or did the jawas sneak off with all that equipment...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kaedric posted:

I am saying that people being worried about them going OVERBOARD with it have a valid concern because the prequels and sequels did it. I then said that even if they did go overboard it could still be good!

My whole post argues that it's not a valid concern imo, just a baseless one born out of paranoia or whatever hangups.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Two words: Jeffery Combs

The tentacles that trail off a Twilek's head are called lekku. Their true purpose is sinister

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Azhais posted:

Bruce Campbell should come in and just play Sam Axe as a replacement for Cara Dune

There's a Edge of the empire campaign where it's burn notice with a disgraced Imperial Intelligence agent Micheal, a retired Mandolorian Sam Axe, a rebel smuggler Fiona etc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon Man posted:

I started watching the Clone Wars theatrical movie. I’m about 35 mins in and it’s honestly not as bad as I’ve been lead to believe. I mean it’s a kids action movie cartoon. You guys were right though, Ahsoka’s whole background is nothing more than she gets off a ship and tells Anakin that she’s his new intern. The “tension” and banter between them is a bit forced and cliched but not horrible. Now I haven’t made it to Baby Jabba yet so maybe that’s were the awful cringe begins.

Yeah the Clone Wars movie isn't great but it's no worse than most of the first few seasons.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Its Rinaldo posted:

The tentacles that trail off a Twilek's head are called lekku. Their true purpose is sinister

This is a very circuitous reference since combs has been in a lot of stuff but I wanted you to know I appreciated it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Azhais posted:

As long as he's missing a hand and has a lightsaber strapped to the stump.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

As long as he's missing a hand and has a lightsaber strapped to the stump.

Why wouldn't it be a lightchainsaw? Like this:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

teagone posted:

All of the nerdiest corners of the internet getting super pissed off at the lightsaber cross guard in the first TFA trailer was really funny.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just get Lars. He’s close enough in looks and the voice and demeanor are arguably more important.

I’m also on Team Lars, but the MOST important thing to get right when Thrawn is on screen is making sure his scary Dracula theme music is playing while he’s monologue-ing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A Pavlovian "Oh poo poo the hero is hosed" response to hearing a harpsichord.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

All of the nerdiest corners of the internet getting super pissed off at the lightsaber cross guard in the first TFA trailer was really funny.

It was that and the over all sparky backfire nature of Ren's saber and people going "IS THIS WHAT LIGHTSABERS LOOK LIKE NOW?!!!! RUINED 4EVER!!!!". That poo poo was pretty funny too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It was that and the over all sparky backfire nature of Ren's saber and people going "IS THIS WHAT LIGHTSABERS LOOK LIKE NOW?!!!! RUINED 4EVER!!!!". That poo poo was pretty funny too.

Lol, yeah. Good times.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't Ezra Bridger's lightsaber already a thing by then or did it come after?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ezra's saber doesn't have a crossguard. The hilt of his first one was also a blaster though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not even the first Jedi with a gun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's the point, it was a haphazard thing and it was glorious, one would imagine that Kylo's saber, stupid as it was, was sort in line with that kind of stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Apparently Ezra's was shown first in some book a few months before the trailer for TFA.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I didn't like moving away from the samurai aesthetic to some dumb laser claymore. Cross guard laser seems like you're getting into saber knees and elbows

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, the guy with lightsaber knee pads beat Kylo to the punch, there’s always been silly looking lightsabers.

E: ah jeez

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Isn't the ~* l o r e *~ explanation for the crossguards is that Kylo's crystal is SO RED AND SO loving EVIL that it needs additional exhaust to stabilize the beam? or something equally dumb?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s more of he didn’t know what he was doing and made a deeply unstable thing.

Like him. I love that detail tbh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Isn't the ~* l o r e *~ explanation for the crossguards is that Kylo's crystal is SO RED AND SO loving EVIL that it needs additional exhaust to stabilize the beam? or something equally dumb?

From wookieepedia's entry for the crossguard lightsaber:

quote:

First Order enforcer and later Supreme Leader Kylo Ren wielded a lightsaber where the quillons served an additional function as vents to balance out an unstable, cracked kyber crystal.

It's a fine explanation :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just a reminder that The Mandalorian establishes Barf’s species from Spaceballs as canon.

ruddiger posted:

A bunch of Mogs showed up terrorizing some village in the third fourth episode of the Mandalorian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is not a mog

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

teagone posted:

GIVE GRAMPA THE SPACE SLEDGE

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

CelticPredator posted:

It’s more of he didn’t know what he was doing and made a deeply unstable thing.

Like him. I love that detail tbh.

teagone posted:

From wookieepedia's entry for the crossguard lightsaber:

It's a fine explanation :colbert:

i mean.. we all know that this is insanely stupid post ipso facto poo poo to make sense of a cool looking prop that didn't make sense, right? like it's really stupid and not even remotely cool. this is agreed? yes?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i mean, it's their script and they can do what they want, of course. but it's really dumb, also. being really dumb hasn't stopped them in the past so it doesn't bother me in this, or any case. just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I started watching Rebels and the older jedi guy is just copy pasted kyle katarn visual design from jk2.

Also the troop transports in rebels have windscreens so the new canon explanation for the mando one not having any is that it's one of the stormtrooper's project car, they're restoring a 'classic'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Smythe posted:

i mean.. we all know that this is insanely stupid post ipso facto poo poo to make sense of a cool looking prop that didn't make sense, right? like it's really stupid and not even remotely cool. this is agreed? yes?

It being silly is why I enjoy it. Saying the crossguard sabers are exhaust vents is some silly rear end poo poo, and is fine because Star Wars can be silly when it comes to explaining things.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Spookydonut posted:

I started watching Rebels and the older jedi guy is just copy pasted kyle katarn visual design from jk2.

Also the troop transports in rebels have windscreens so the new canon explanation for the mando one not having any is that it's one of the stormtrooper's project car, they're restoring a 'classic'

They both have brown hair, a beard, a lightsaber and aren't afraid to use blasters... but Kanan isn't really Kyle 2.0, you'll see.

The ITT in Rebels is probably just an older version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smythe posted:

i mean, it's their script and they can do what they want, of course. but it's really dumb, also. being really dumb hasn't stopped them in the past so it doesn't bother me in this, or any case. just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

We’re not