Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

made one of the top 5 sandwiches of all time today

egg
cheese
el manar sardines in harissa
'vark sauce
pickled red onions
mayo
toasted baguette, boat cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

Not sure if this is what was mentioned, but crab dip made with sour cream and/or cream cheese is pretty popular, recipes should be easy to find. For me it's a food that's incredibly delicious for the first few bites and progressively more repulsive as I eat more.

My local grocery chain makes a 'seafood salad' that's basically shredded mock crab legs and mayo (or something, they gussy it up a bit) and I found that if I buy imitation lobster bites (yes these are a real thing), cut 'em up real fine to 'dilute' the mix so it's not as creamy, add lemon juice, cilantro, and some tobasco...it's...it's freaking amazing on crackers and dolloped on hard boiled eggs.

I'm sorry this isn't 'dine related but if it isn't guilty seafood related garbage-pleasure, well, what else can I say.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Yeah anything that cuts down the dairy side of that kind of thing improves it, like putting in in a sandwich with tomato and lettuce or whatever. Lately I've been making a kind of fake ceviche with canned crab or lump crab when I save up for it, that kind of thing is far more to my taste.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Imitation lobster is much more legit than imitation crab

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

tSardine Pollastrini di Anzio is some good poo poo. Tin big enough for 3 big fish and two little ones. The oil has a good pepper kick to it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

My local grocery chain makes a 'seafood salad' that's basically shredded mock crab legs and mayo (or something, they gussy it up a bit) and I found that if I buy imitation lobster bites (yes these are a real thing), cut 'em up real fine to 'dilute' the mix so it's not as creamy, add lemon juice, cilantro, and some tobasco...it's...it's freaking amazing on crackers and dolloped on hard boiled eggs.

I'm sorry this isn't 'dine related but if it isn't guilty seafood related garbage-pleasure, well, what else can I say.

i get the shaw's seafood salad and eat it out of the package with a fork

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Myron Baloney posted:

Not sure if this is what was mentioned, but crab dip made with sour cream and/or cream cheese is pretty popular, recipes should be easy to find. For me it's a food that's incredibly delicious for the first few bites and progressively more repulsive as I eat more.

Those sardines look good, especially the black bean and teriyaki ones - all canned fish packed with those that I've tried have been nice. Sardines, mackerel, milkfish, dace, all good.

I'm gonna give this thread my secret recipe for salmon spread:

15oz can of salmon*
8oz block of cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs dill weed (don't use the seed, just the weed)
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp fine ground salt

Mash up the Salmon, making sure to pulverize all the bones and skin (You can remove them, but don't be a jerk. Eat the bones.)
Whip all ingredients together with a fork until you get an even consistency

Spread on crackers, bagels, toast, pretzels, whatever. If you've ever wondered why people would eat triscuits, this is where those dumb shredded wheat crackers finally shine. This is basically lazy-man's lox. You could use some nice smoked salmon to make it, but the whole reason this recipe exists is to make something delicious for cheap and 5 minutes of prep time.

* I've used sardines and mackerel for this, too. They work OK, but Salmon is always good.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Picked up a couple of cans of Belas today to try out after sticking mostly to KOs. They were expensive (3.49/can) so I'm hoping they're good.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Previa_fun posted:

Picked up a couple of cans of Belas today to try out after sticking mostly to KOs. They were expensive (3.49/can) so I'm hoping they're good.

I actually prefer belas to ko. But then again I’m also the kind of weirdo that puts beans in chili, so take that with a grain of salt.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I actually prefer belas to ko. But then again I’m also the kind of weirdo that puts beans in chili, so take that with a grain of salt.

Eh, to each their own. If you ranted about beans in chili then it changes from opinion to :goonsay: which this 'dine thread won't stand for.

I'm thinking of making crab dip with some canned stuff. Now to decide whether to use the Fortune or Dragonfly brand. Anybody tried either?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Update on the Ayam brand sardines In black bean sauce:

Very dry, texture-wise. The sauce is good; I mixed in some avocado oil & white wine vinegar, then mashed it all together to make a dressing for my dinner salad. Not bad overall.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Prof. Crocodile posted:

:same:

and

:same:

Bela and Matiz are the best that i can reliably find in stores near me. I like KOs but they’re like $3.50 a can at my local QFC and I try not to give Amazon any more money than I have to

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Weltlich posted:

I'm gonna give this thread my secret recipe for salmon spread:

15oz can of salmon*
8oz block of cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs dill weed (don't use the seed, just the weed)
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp fine ground salt

Mash up the Salmon, making sure to pulverize all the bones and skin (You can remove them, but don't be a jerk. Eat the bones.)
Whip all ingredients together with a fork until you get an even consistency

Spread on crackers, bagels, toast, pretzels, whatever. If you've ever wondered why people would eat triscuits, this is where those dumb shredded wheat crackers finally shine. This is basically lazy-man's lox. You could use some nice smoked salmon to make it, but the whole reason this recipe exists is to make something delicious for cheap and 5 minutes of prep time.

* I've used sardines and mackerel for this, too. They work OK, but Salmon is always good.

makin' this for lunch tomorrow. using grocery outlet smoked salmon, adding garlic powder, ignoring some of your ratios, but totally making this.

maybe I should be doing that instead of posting

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's good. the cheapo smoked salmon has an aggressively bitter taste that nothing is mitigating, but it's what I had. also the texture is disquietingly like underwood sandwich spread, also probably attributable to the dryness of the smoked salmon. still good, still real good

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

got some new 'dines tonight to try some san remos and another one with thai chili sause

will report

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bela reviews: Very mild, great oil, a tad dry. I still prefer KOs but these are a close second. Where should I go from here, Nuri?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Anything from Portugal or Morocco

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

mask + sardine burp = :barf:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Update: tried the Ayam brand sardines in Kung Pao sauce.

The 'dines are super dry (not a good sign for the brand) and the sauce was awful. Using it in my dinner salad was rough going but I am a resilient goon & soldiered on.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in this and I still have 3 more cans to get through.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
ANOTHER update: used the Ayam sardines in chili oil in my leftover Shakshouka.

A lot better for sure. I have Ayam 'dines in olive oils and one in teriyaki. Don't know what to do with the latter (aside from the classic "eat over the sink with crackers" move).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
UPDATE #3:

Shiritake noodles, garlic, grated ginger, shallots, mushrooms (button, shiitake, chanterelle), Ayam brand sardines in teriyaki sauce, green onion & sesame seed garnish.

Verdict: yeah, those Ayam sardines are terrible. The texture is incredibly distracting to what should be an otherwise decent dish. I got one more can that will go in tomorrow morning's Shakshouka.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it is super cool you figured out what to do with terri 'dines even if the result sucked

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
FINAL BOSS FIGHT: finished the Ayam 'dines in olive oil by putting them in a salad. Took the oil to make a vinaigrette. These 'dines are more traditional in texture (firm but not dry). Final verdict: Get the plain olive oil ones if you get this brand.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

seasons over kimchi with plenty of lemon juice

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Voice of Labor posted:

seasons over kimchi with plenty of lemon juice

Goddrat that looks like exactly what I need right now.

Make some more. I'm coming over.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I gotta go to bed. seasons are on the bottom shelf of the pantry, kimchi's in the fridge and the bottle of lemon juice is on the counter.

you're gonna have to ask the wife where the plates are. that is forbidden woman knowledge

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing this and taking a picture later on tonight. I've got fresh cucumber kimchi that needs to come out of the fermenter, and this is a good excuse.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Went to the international market today :coolfish:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

World sardines Day was Nov 24 and none of us mentioned it itt

King Oscar has every right to close and gas this thread

I mean I definitely ate sardines that day I just didn't celebrate it appropriately

naem
May 29, 2011

EVERY day is sardine day

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i had a really good midnight snack last night:

-ice cream sandwich
-tin of sardines /w hot sauce
-1 of those thick fruit leathers
-2 babybells

:yum:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

i had a really good midnight snack last night:

-ice cream sandwich
-tin of sardines /w hot sauce
-1 of those thick fruit leathers
-2 babybells

:yum:

Get out of my fridge.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

weed thread's over that way

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Went to the international market today :coolfish:

maybe it's just because I have a straight up monkey brain but that Smiling Fish can sounds good, I'd kill for a non-Tabasco or Cholula kind of spicy canned/tinned fish

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Forgot to eat this last night, but I tossed some daikon kimchi I made into a can of tots.

A++ would eat over the sink again. The little pickled shrimps in the kimchi went real well with the sardines.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I picked up a few cans of King Oscar Cod Liver and Roe paté online, so I could try one and give a couple out for Christmas to some of the more adventurous dads on my list.
Has anyone else tried it?

sock it to me! fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 4, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I believe I have. It's pretty darn good quality cod liver. Have you had it before?

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

I believe I have. It's pretty darn good quality cod liver. Have you had it before?

No, I'm gonna have a can with some red onion and crackers this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It's a jump for sure. You may hate it, I'm not a fan at all and I will eat any ocean creature you hand me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also will eat any ocean creature and I adore cod liver so and love the idea of mixing roe with it, gonna have to nab some.