Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Also Genesis Alpha One, which i have been wanting to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If I grab that free Elite Dangerous on Epic, I'd have to go through Epic to get expansions for the game, right? Does Frontier do direct sales on their own?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

A good poster posted:

If I grab that free Elite Dangerous on Epic, I'd have to go through Epic to get expansions for the game, right? Does Frontier do direct sales on their own?

Yes, but the current game version already includes the Horizons update for free. Odyssey is scheduled for release some time next year and what storefronts that shows up on, who knows?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I just really, really don't want to give Tim Sweeney money.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

OgNar posted:

Also Genesis Alpha One, which i have been wanting to check out.

Fyi, Genesis Alpha One was made by something like a three-man team, and while it has some neat ideas like designing your own spaceship and hunting for xeno infestations in that ship, the gameplay loop is kind of repetitive after a while. You expand your ship, land on planets to shoot waves of bugs and gather resources, then return to your ship with possibly some xeno scum hitchhiking on your shuttle. Then you clear out any infestation on your ship, clone some crewmates from gathered genetic materials, restock ammo with minerals and place turrets on choke points. That describes much of the game. There are little tasks like scanning for space resources that you can beam on board, put out fires or fix some broken stuff. I kind of liked the game at first but it didn't hold my interest. Then again, many other games have that problem when I play.

In short, the game is not for everyone. Some good stuff, some not so good. If you want to build your own little Nostromo, you can.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A good poster posted:

I just really, really don't want to give Tim Sweeney money.

just click the free "buy" button and let it rot in your game library until the end of time like the rest of us lol

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
If you are going to do the EGS Mudrunner game today, be sure and go back and do 3 more transactions for each of the free dlc.

Because EGS.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why are all the prices in ₹?

OgNar posted:

Because EGS.

Oh, I forgot.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hang on a moment, I see EGS's upcoming free game Cave Story, but last i checked a decade ago it was already free! What's goin' on there.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's Cave Story+, an updated version with some new graphics and a few extra modes. Also Nicalis has been trying to kill all the free versions of the original Cave Story so y'know, at this point it might be the easiest way to get it for free now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TGLT posted:

It's Cave Story+, an updated version with some new graphics and a few extra modes. Also Nicalis has been trying to kill all the free versions of the original Cave Story so y'know.

Why doesn't he make a new game and charge people money for that? "From the creator of Cave Story" is a pretty good selling point.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Why doesn't he make a new game and charge people money for that? "From the creator of Cave Story" is a pretty good selling point.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/292500/Kero_Blaster/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pixel did make a new game. Nicalis basically scammed him out of the rights to Cave Story and has been doing whatever they want with it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, Nicalis is the company that controls the rights now but they didn't make the original Cave Story. The actual dev, Pixel, is doing other poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was curious as to what the difference was between mudrunners, which i had not heard of before and spintires, which i had. real :can: there

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Waffleman_ posted:

Pixel did make a new game. Nicalis basically scammed him out of the rights to Cave Story and has been doing whatever they want with it.

yeah, the guy behind nicalis is an extremely bad person. here's one article, but iirc there are a lot more bad stories about him than just this

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/12/nicalis-controversy/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Funny timing, but here's another one for the "gently caress Nicalis" pile

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/26/nicalis-issue-dmca-takedowns-against-cave-story-fangame/

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was curious as to what the difference was between mudrunners, which i had not heard of before and spintires, which i had. real :can: there

They're basically the same but mudrunner was the one that kept receiving support after the lead dev and dev company split. Iirc, the lead dev allegedly put a time bomb in the game that disabled it at a certain date while he alleged that he wasn't properly paid.

Oovee (the dev company) split off spintires into mudrunner and kept updating it. There's also a sequel now called Snowrunner.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Spectrum Retreat and Lost Horizon got added to Prime Gaming today:

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256720279/movie480.webm?t=1529420673

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeAZZ5DRFY

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sounds like an interesting franchise

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Indiegala actually released a few interesting freebies: Camp Sunshine (an indie horror adventure) and Brigade E5: New Jagged Union (Old Eurojank 3d Jagged Alliance - apparently has a metric ton of good mods?)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Stickman posted:

Indiegala actually released a few interesting freebies: Camp Sunshine (an indie horror adventure) and Brigade E5: New Jagged Union (Old Eurojank 3d Jagged Alliance - apparently has a metric ton of good mods?)

E5 is the precursor to 7.62. the real time battle system is fun, but it's real janky

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Bunch of games got added to Prime Gaming today:

Also, they're giving away a free Origin code for Battlefield 3

HyperDot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HoxdsQuWos

Wizard of Legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bsU7iQM66o

Sigma Theory: Global Cold War:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqDXSo7RdoA

Turmoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRUCfKVnPI

Close to the Sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgeDsIbGGgE

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cave Story+ is free on EGS this week, if you don't mind giving Nicalis some epicbux

Next week is Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition and Tyranny: Gold Edition

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh cool I haven't played tyranny since release but I enjoyed it. Hope the extra content is good

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

repiv posted:

Cave Story+ is free on EGS this week, if you don't mind giving Nicalis some epicbux

Wow, that's quite a haul.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

site posted:

Oh cool I haven't played tyranny since release but I enjoyed it. Hope the extra content is good

The dlc city is interesting but you should spoil yourself on the main quest. It is frustratingly easy to lock yourself out of the optimal quest solution by mistake.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Wizard of Legend is pretty good.

repiv posted:

whoa

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

El_Elegante posted:

The dlc city is interesting but you should spoil yourself on the main quest. It is frustratingly easy to lock yourself out of the optimal quest solution by mistake.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks

calbruc
Nov 15, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

FanaticalMilk posted:

Bunch of games got added to Prime Gaming today:

Also, they're giving away a free Origin code for Battlefield 3

Turns out I own BF3 somehow already? Now you can too!

64WW-R278-B25W-J6SJ-Q6R*

* = 5+1

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

El_Elegante posted:

Without going into detail, that game has possibly the best rules lawyering moment in a CRPG. It really captures the essence of a smartass player trying to outmaneuver the Dungeon Master in a tabletop game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

jeez, why even bother buying games

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rinkles posted:

So you don't have to play boring crap like PoE and Tyranny?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I don't really anymore and I continually have a flood of great stuff that I can never possibly catch up to. At most I'll drop $20 on Steam here and there and get 4-5 great games that last me a long time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rinkles posted:

only buy games when you know you're going to play them, and then once you pass the sixth or seventh time you buy a game afterwards and never play it then you just stop buying things

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also only buy them if you're going to play them now and not like... 3 months later once you finish the other cool games on your backlog

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Buying games on sale is the game. Also, getting free games is the game, and also never playing those games is the game.

EGS will eventually sell, for actual money, the ability to obtain achievements for the games you have bought, without actually playing them.

This functionality will occasionally be given away for free on special sale days.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't even have a way to check if a game on their store has achievements. you have to start up a game before you can check.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I've always assumed Epic didn't even include an achievement system on their games, which felt like a letdown to me since I find those dumb things so satisfying. So they actually do have them? The only game on Epic I've sunk any time into doesn't have achievements on Steam either, so I wouldn't have known either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
some games have achievements but it's not a system wide thing