Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, hadn't heard that, guess I'm falling behind :sweatdrop: definitely lots of AAA are still using it though.

Even ignoring the forward renderer thing, MoH generally looks very conservative from a graphical point of view. They're either thinking about Quest or they were just terrified of the game not running at the highest frame-rate. But either way, it should be relatively easy to port to Quest considering.

I don't know how much it plays a part, but i do remember respawn mentioning in an interview that due to the subject matter they wanted to dial back realistic visuals, which you can see in the character models, as they didn't want something too disturbing in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

d0grent posted:

What games offer the best aerial mobility? Flying, hang gliding, jetpack, etc... I'm looking for something fast paced.

Stormland is still my favorite flying around in VR experience. After upgrading your robot body you can pretty much become Iron Man.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What about the best “just sit and watch awesome stuff happen while you gawk at it” experience? You know, in case the pandemic winds down soon enough that my parents can visit again before they die of old age.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know how much it plays a part, but i do remember respawn mentioning in an interview that due to the subject matter they wanted to dial back realistic visuals, which you can see in the character models, as they didn't want something too disturbing in VR.

That's a good thought, but it does look like they have shadows in campaign (sometimes?) but not in multiplayer, so its probably a more performance related concern than seriousness of visuals.

But that is definitely something to consider, especially as VR games will get increasingly ubiquitous and detailed.

In the old days of video game violence pearl-clutching, one of the big arguments in defense of video game violence was how different a mouse click or controller button press is from actually shooting guns or stabbing people. But that no longer holds up in the VR motion-control world where games like Walking Dead or Blade & Sorcery have you actually sticking a knife through somebody.

You can call me a weenie but it does give me some ethical concerns.

Similarly, in the early days of world war videogames, the first Medal of Honor games, there was a big backlash from veterans about turning the war into a fun game for kids. But they relented because Stephen Speilberg was involved, and he'd done a stellar job in Saving Private Ryan.

Call of Duty walks this weird line between trying to be true to the history of the veterans' experience but also having a 360 no-scope quake style arena shooter experience.

I'm probably gonna get it and I'm probably gonna have a lot of fun with it, but is that even a good thing? Man I don't know. Maybe war games shouldn't exist if they're not like, ARMA. But they will anyways so :shrug:

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a good thought, but it does look like they have shadows in campaign (sometimes?) but not in multiplayer, so its probably a more performance related concern than seriousness of visuals.

But that is definitely something to consider, especially as VR games will get increasingly ubiquitous and detailed.

In the old days of video game violence pearl-clutching, one of the big arguments in defense of video game violence was how different a mouse click or controller button press is from actually shooting guns or stabbing people. But that no longer holds up in the VR motion-control world where games like Walking Dead or Blade & Sorcery have you actually sticking a knife through somebody.

You can call me a weenie but it does give me some ethical concerns.

Similarly, in the early days of world war videogames, the first Medal of Honor games, there was a big backlash from veterans about turning the war into a fun game for kids. But they relented because Stephen Speilberg was involved, and he'd done a stellar job in Saving Private Ryan.

Call of Duty walks this weird line between trying to be true to the history of the veterans' experience but also having a 360 no-scope quake style arena shooter experience.

I'm probably gonna get it and I'm probably gonna have a lot of fun with it, but is that even a good thing? Man I don't know. Maybe war games shouldn't exist if they're not like, ARMA. But they will anyways so :shrug:

In the words of my Mother "I tried to avoid giving the kids any toys that resembled weapons, to discourage pretend war/fighting, but that ended when I looked out the window one day and saw you two sword fighting with sticks".

As long as its made clear its pretend its a non issue, so stylization or unreasonable story pacing or anything really that gives a clear indicator that this is pretend regardless of brutality, should be ok if its what people want to enjoy.
I'd rather people shoot virtual mans than stab real mans

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WirelessPillow posted:

In the words of my Mother "I tried to avoid giving the kids any toys that resembled weapons, to discourage pretend war/fighting, but that ended when I looked out the window one day and saw you two sword fighting with sticks".

As long as its made clear its pretend its a non issue, so stylization or unreasonable story pacing or anything really that gives a clear indicator that this is pretend regardless of brutality, should be ok if its what people want to enjoy.
I'd rather people shoot virtual mans than stab real mans

Yeah totally. But the thing is this Medal of Honor game is specifically angling to be realistic, to be true to a real life war which is a real horrific event where real people got stabbed.

The game isn't real, but they're going far enough to tie interviews with veterans into the marketing material, so that comes much closer than say, stabbing an obvious zombie. The whole point of the game is to make it historically accurate. Which inherently implies some realism.

"Pretend WW2" is where I get a little conflicted, since WW2 wasn't pretend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSA2syQoFE

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
OMG you guys! Pistol Whip's update is amazing! I hope one of y'all worked on it because you loving nailed the experience!

I would love to bring that burst-fire pistol into the existing songs, too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you're forgetting the point of the Medal of Honor games is to go kill some goddamn Nazis. Also if this makes you clutch pearls, why doesn't H3VR do it when it just about teaches people the basics of real firearm usage?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're forgetting the point of the Medal of Honor games is to go kill some goddamn Nazis. Also if this makes you clutch pearls, why doesn't H3VR do it when it just about teaches people the basics of real firearm usage?

The concern isn't firearms knowledge. My concern is disrespecting a historic event where real people died and creating fun and safe simulations of that real event that had real casualties.

Which is exactly why Anton sticks to Hotdogs, which many in this thread have spoken of approvingly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What if your VR kit could kill you if you died in the game

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Bad Munki posted:

Please, gaben. Save me from these games that disrespect the troops.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

People are saying Contractor$ is the new best VR shooter for Quest. Better than Onward and Pavlov. Anyone play it? I’m stuck at work.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

What about the best “just sit and watch awesome stuff happen while you gawk at it” experience? You know, in case the pandemic winds down soon enough that my parents can visit again before they die of old age.

It’s hard to say because the most impressive experiences are impressive because of the interaction. So if you forgoe that, it would be straight up 3D 360 videos that you can watch in Quill theater.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

The concern isn't firearms knowledge. My concern is disrespecting a historic event where real people died and creating fun and safe simulations of that real event that had real casualties.

Which is exactly why Anton sticks to Hotdogs, which many in this thread have spoken of approvingly.

Yeah, the impression I get from H3VR is basically, "guns are really neat mechanical devices, it's cool how they've changed over the years, shooting them is fun; killing people loving blows and we're not gonna gamify that." I can respect that.

My spouse has zero interest in playing something like B&S, because it feels too real for them. Like, clicking on somebody in Borderlands feels like playing a game, but using your actual hand to shove a knife into somebody's ribs in B&S feels less like playing a game and more like a murder simulator. I enjoy playing B&S but I don't fault anybody for feeling uncomfortable about it.

ChocNitty posted:

People are saying Contractor$ is the new best VR shooter for Quest. Better than Onward and Pavlov. Anyone play it? I’m stuck at work.

I don't know if it ever caught on that well, but I remember hearing rave reviews for it on PC a year or so ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MDK is real

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
A video game is a video game, the vast majority of people are able to distinguish reality from fantasy and are in no way disrespecting vets or some other pearl clutching thing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Generally I would agree, games are clearly games. I think I experienced something beyond a game the first few times i stabbed a zombie in the head with a knife in Walking Dead: S&S. Like immediately i felt how visceral that was and not at all the same as pressing bumper to fire a gun.

In other words I don’t think that is true anymore with VR.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's only been 25 years and I'm seeing the exact same arguments about violence in video games again...

If anyone should have been a mass-murderer based on playing the games that Tipper Gore and everyone else was whining about in the early 90's then it should have been me. I guess I'll make up for it in my old age or something :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol, it really should be. I fully respect that H3VR most definitely is not a murder simulator directly and I would never accuse it as such, but if I was really gonna clutch pearls over VR gaming it'd be about the game that teaches the player how to load, charge and handle dozens of commonly-available firearms along with instilling basic cover-based combat and room-clearing tactics.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't think anyone is making that argument. It's kind of a necessary topic though, you can't simultaneously claim that VR is transformative and has the power to deliver experiences that haven't been possible up until this point, powerful enough that sometimes your brain is tricked to the degree that you're doing stuff like leaning on things that don't exist, but also that there's no actual impact at all and it's the exact same as regular video games. I don't have any useful predictions for how things are going to pan out but I think there's a lot of validity to the idea of being careful about this sort of thing. I don't have any problem with playing Pavlov or Saints and Sinners or whatever, but I would also absolutely personally prefer stuff that was less like Blade & Sorcery for example

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay I pre-emptively used the term "clutching pearls" hoping that would be the end of it, and instead every post since has included it. Can we all agree to stop? Lmao. Its not really helping the discourse.

To me there's like 3 things here, there's VR games where you just do cartoony violence, there's VR games where you do realistic violence, and there's VR games where you pretend you're a soldier (but you're ultimately playing a video game that's fun and safe and not miserable, which being a soldier on D-Day would be)

I think that last one is a whole other kind of issue from just violence in general.

Nocheez posted:

It's only been 25 years and I'm seeing the exact same arguments about violence in video games again...

If anyone should have been a mass-murderer based on playing the games that Tipper Gore and everyone else was whining about in the early 90's then it should have been me. I guess I'll make up for it in my old age or something :shrug:

Yeah but as posted, there are reasons why this is different. Feels like you're ignoring that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, it really should be. I fully respect that H3VR most definitely is not a murder simulator directly and I would never accuse it as such, but if I was really gonna clutch pearls over VR gaming it'd be about the game that teaches the player how to load, charge and handle dozens of commonly-available firearms along with instilling basic cover-based combat and room-clearing tactics.

I mean, you're free to raise your own additional concern there. But that doesn't mean other concerns can't exist.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 4, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I remember my mom trying to forbid me to play Half-Life Blue shift because she saw the reload animation for the revolver.
The closest thing I've ever come to holding a gun was then I was conscripted (but got out due to twisting my ankle bad and not being very motivated). I wouldn't even know where to start getting a hold of a gun.
I could probably figure out how to releoad most "normal" weapons. The problem isn't knowledge. The problem is easy access.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

You'll experience latency in the megahertz range?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nocheez posted:

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

The Pistol Whip campaign update is a ton of fun. It's very short but very sweet. Reminds me of when one of the later Guitar Hero games used the whole first side of 2112 as one of its campaign levels. I'd love to see some more campaigns like that as DLC, explore a bunch of different genres.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So... whats the IPD range on this?

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I don't think I've ever been more mad at a VR game than I am at PayDay VR. Do not get that game for the VR dlc. Holy poo poo it sucks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also anyone try out the vr in project wingman?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ceive posted:

I don't think I've ever been more mad at a VR game than I am at PayDay VR. Do not get that game for the VR dlc. Holy poo poo it sucks.

I was looking at that but I figured it wasn't likely to be any good.

Also I solo'ed all the chevos on the Shadow Raid map on Deathwish somehow and nothing is ever going to top that for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ceive posted:

Payday 2? Its one of the best VR games there is, I love it.

What's your issue?

Admittedly Payday is one of those games where you really need to know how it works as a flat game before you play it in VR, there's a ton of mechanics and it's probably hard to learn in VR.

8one6 posted:

I was looking at that but I figured it wasn't likely to be any good.

Its actually exceptionally great. Loud probably works better than stealth but stealth works in VR too, and its real awesome to pretend you're Solid Snake and actually crouch down behind boxes while guards pass you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leal posted:

Also anyone try out the vr in project wingman?

Shine did and it seems like he had a really rough experience :smith: although I think most of that was related to joystick issues, but there were some general VR stuff too

Here:

Shine posted:

Good lord, Project Wingman doesn't play well with VR or my joysticks. In VR, the framerates is atrocious (Index, 8700K @ 4.9, RTX 3080, and with everything on Medium I had reprojection 100% of the time), and "centering" the view kept flipping the view just off to either side, and in one case had me looking a full 90 degrees to the right. I couldn't get the view to actually center.

Plus, the game is acting like my stick and pedals have 1/3 of their range of travel (the input is maxed out well before the stick reaches the end of its physical axis), and the input randomly "jumps" around, so moving the stick doesn't result in a smooth input, but one that is ridiculously jittery. Like, imagine if you were playing, and another person started randomly pressing arrow keys that the game registered alongside your joystick, and that's what it feels like, even after I made sure to unmap all the default gamepad inputs.

Might be a fun game on a monitor and with an Xbox pad (reviews are positive overall), but the VR support is horrible, and so far the joystick support is, too. drat, I was really excited about this game :(

8one6
May 20, 2012

Alice VR is not worth the current $2 asking price.

This game is basically broken. The textures are weirdly blurry (even at 'very high' settings), the tool tips show up in the far corners of the display (where they're basically unreadable), the interface for the puzzles is buggy (Had to try to restart the game on the second puzzle when the robot got stuck on a tile that would retract into the floor, glitch, and loop doing the same thing over and over), and when I tried to restart suddenly it froze on the loading screen.

Also it only displayed the Vive wands for my controllers instead of index knuckles or fake hands (which I get is a nitpick but still speaks to minimal effort). Speaking of the controllers, the control scheme is a bit stupid. The turn controls are mapped to face buttons instead of one of the thumb-sticks and there's no way to remap them.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 4, 2020

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

8one6 posted:

Alice VR...

HAHA! I tried playing that game ages ago and ended up laying on the floor because it made me so motion sick.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ceive posted:

Echoing what Zaphod said, play it for a few hours on a monitor before messing with VR. I think it's a blast in VR (very rudimentary, but still quite good for being a free thing slapped onto an old game), but I also think that learning the dumbass quirks of Payday (including the idiocy that is its "stealth" gameplay) will be way the hell easier on a monitor. It's also 10x more fun with human teammates instead of bots; pubbies are fine as long as you're not doing tryhard stuff and are fine with every job turning into a bigass shootout.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Payday 2 is a beautifully stupid experience that defies any and all realistic expectations. It's like learning a second language.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

Payday 2 is a beautifully stupid experience that defies any and all realistic expectations. It's like learning a second language.

I like just running up to the riot shield guys in VR and simply bringing my gun around the shield to hose them down with P90 fire point-blank.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure Payday 2 has a perk/buff or w/e that either gives you riot shield knockdown or armor penetration so you don't even have to put in that much actual effort.

8one6
May 20, 2012

More adventures in 'finally playing all the games in my backlog' Child of Ault VR assigns your hands to the opposite controller than what it should be. Looking at the steam discussion board it looks like this has been a known issue for the Oculus touch controllers since at least 2018. If I was still playing with Vive wands this might not be a problem but I'm now using an Index and the knuckles aren't exactly ambidextrous.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
contractors for quest just got on oculus store so i got it and also a deadeyevr stock mount. contractors is my favorite multiplayer military fps on quest and now that it beat pavlov to the store i hope it pumps up the playerbase. cant wait for that stock