Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyperlynx posted:

It's still a bit helldumpy. What's wrong with tvtropes anyway?

You have to be kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My office chair has powdered coated steel arms and base, which has been fine for me as I don't care about armrests, but now that it's cold and dry here I get shocks everytime I get up if I have my hands on the handles. Yes I can just try to not touch them, but is there anyway to reduce the conductivity?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
You need to ground your chair.

This article rambles on a bit, but at least goes into some detail about how to do it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dog nougat posted:

You need to ground your chair.

This article rambles on a bit, but at least goes into some detail about how to do it.

thanks, having a wire dangling from my chair is going to be pretty unsightly so I'd like to avoid that if possible

It does look like shoes help, this explains why this never happened when I went in to work, but it does at home (I just wear socks inside).

I also saw something about spraying parts of the chair with static guard

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 2, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

actionjackson posted:

I also saw something about spraying parts of the chair with static guard
This is what I used to do at the start of every winter. The grounding wire is an inspired idea though. I'm definitely doing that whenever I get back to the office.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Are there any apps I can use to upload videos to my YouTube account? Something I can trust, since it'll have access to basically everything. I have videos all over my phone that I need to upload but the YouTube app is a pain - without access to folders or dates or my favorites I'm left scrolling through 1,500 videos hoping to find the right one. Used to upload from the Photos app but they removed that ability a while back. Google Photos won't do it, which seems strange but ok.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Google photos works fine to share video to YouTube, just hit the share icon on the video and select it from the list of apps. Android 11 on a Pixel 3a.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I keep thinking of this scene in Gremlins 2. The male and female leads sit on a bench (outside?) and she starts telling him about something that happened in her childhood. She was 7, there was a man dressed as Lincoln (or another president) and... and that's where the male lead cuts her because something is happenning.

Did I dream this? Is there a way to pull up this clip? I think about it often and wonder what it meant, because I watched it as a kid and as an adult I realize there must be something to it that I simply didn't understand at time. Help? Or should I move my rear end to the movies subforum?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Crosspost from Goon Doctor - Does anyone have advice about whether or not you should join a Medicare Advantage plan, and if you should, what to look for in them? Mainly looking into getting one for my dad that has $1000 of comprehensive dental per year, because regular Medicare doesn't have any dental coverage and he needs some tooth work done.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Dawncloack posted:

I keep thinking of this scene in Gremlins 2. The male and female leads sit on a bench (outside?) and she starts telling him about something that happened in her childhood. She was 7, there was a man dressed as Lincoln (or another president) and... and that's where the male lead cuts her because something is happenning.

Did I dream this? Is there a way to pull up this clip? I think about it often and wonder what it meant, because I watched it as a kid and as an adult I realize there must be something to it that I simply didn't understand at time. Help? Or should I move my rear end to the movies subforum?

After doing some light research (having only seen Gremlins and not the sequel) I'm guessing this was supposed to be making fun of that part in the first one where Phoebe Cates tells the story of how her dad died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVPUsyrT0s

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The reason for posting this question is I am not handy at all.

I live in a rental community that has a service auto-included for trash removal. The company provides every resident with the same exact in-doors/kitchen trash can and you put it out at night time and they take it away and leave you the same can. Recently they switched companies, replaced our cans and the new ones suck. The lid is designed to auto-close and I hate it. Like, when preparing dinner I like keeping it open so I can just toss unneeded parts without touching the trashcan. Now the only option is to keep opening it or making a pile of waste; sure I could do the latter but I hate how it looks.

Are trashcan lids completely interchangeable? Or do companies have more propriety designs so you have to use their brand (like Sony does with a ton of stuff)? This company only sells one style and sells in bulk to companies so I can't just go buy one from them.

edit: also, tbc, it closes incredibly quickly and doesn't open all the way. so, clearing a plat at the end of a meal is hard (not the worst thing, but just stupid) since you only have one hand as one is taken up with the lid.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 3, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
You might be able to find a lid that fits your can, but as far as I'm aware there's not really standardized sizes for trashcans as far as openings go. I assume there are probably patents/copyrights or something along those lines that prevents interchangeable trashcan parts.

The easiest and cheapest solution here is to just take the lid off the trashcan when you're preparing food.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How much fresh rosemary is enough to make you feel ill, or cause negative side effects? I threw in 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary in some frying butter and then poured it into mashed potato. I was too lazy to take the rosemary out so I've been munching on the leaves that were mixed in. Supposedly it can be toxic at high doses but nowhere online mentions what a high dose is.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Did something on the forums change? Everything looks... Cleaner somehow.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Qubee posted:

How much fresh rosemary is enough to make you feel ill, or cause negative side effects? I threw in 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary in some frying butter and then poured it into mashed potato. I was too lazy to take the rosemary out so I've been munching on the leaves that were mixed in. Supposedly it can be toxic at high doses but nowhere online mentions what a high dose is.

You'll be fine, goon. I saw a recommendation of no more than 6 grams of dried rosemary daily, so that's a fair amount more in terms of fresh sprigs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boba Pearl posted:

The blue bars at the top and bottom of the page are a different shade now. Maybe other things have changed as well? I checked the change log but it hasn't been updated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boba Pearl posted:

Why the new/old blue theme?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

After a big snowstorm there are 4 different wires hanging down along my property line. The electrical company has came out and and left a note saying it’s not a power line but either a telephone line or a communications line.

Is there any way to figure out who owns the line? There is a variety of ISPs and telephone providers so I’d rather not have to call everyone. The comedy option is just get out there with some shears and see who comes out to fix it but I’d like to not get sued.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jeza posted:

You'll be fine, goon. I saw a recommendation of no more than 6 grams of dried rosemary daily, so that's a fair amount more in terms of fresh sprigs.

Yeah, I felt fine. Just figured for future use, I shouldn't go ingesting herbs stupidly like that. I guess when they say high dose, they really mean it. Like a bale of rosemary.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

After a big snowstorm there are 4 different wires hanging down along my property line. The electrical company has came out and and left a note saying it’s not a power line but either a telephone line or a communications line.

Is there any way to figure out who owns the line? There is a variety of ISPs and telephone providers so I’d rather not have to call everyone. The comedy option is just get out there with some shears and see who comes out to fix it but I’d like to not get sued.

You could try calling the local 1call maybe?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can I just burn the little sticks that I collect around the yard to get the fireplace going? I wasn't sure if small sticks like that are supposed to be "seasoned" as well, or if I could just collect some branches around the yard and use them instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a cross-stitch megathread? Thinking about taking up a hobby I can do while watching TV.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Boba Pearl posted:

One thing, too, is that it doesn't say "no new messages because no one likes you" and was renamed to a less toxic wording.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Can I just burn the little sticks that I collect around the yard to get the fireplace going? I wasn't sure if small sticks like that are supposed to be "seasoned" as well, or if I could just collect some branches around the yard and use them instead.

If they burn it shouldn't be an issue. Your kindling is such a small amount of fuel compared to full-on logs/split firewood it doesn't really matter. Fireplaces aren't terribly efficient anyway, so you may not get complete combustion of your logs compared to an actual wood burning stove.

Edit:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a cross-stitch megathread? Thinking about taking up a hobby I can do while watching TV.

There's an embroidery thread in diy/hobbies that roughly covers cross-stitch. I got lazy and didn't look much further tbh.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643153&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 3, 2020

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Yeah, it should be fine as long as they're dry. If they hiss or spit, they're still too wet and you're boiling sap/water within the sticks and not actually making fire. I have a small box in my wood shed where I toss sticks I find when mowing the lawn and use them for kindling all winter.

Note that some woods (specifically soft or sappy woods from conifers) are smokier and will build up creosote far more quickly than the type of hardwood you'd normally buy as firewood, so they shouldn't be used in large quantities. But for kindling they're fine.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Small sticks make perfectly fine kindling, anyone who has ever gathered wood and built a fire while camping can tell you. It's not as ideal as splitting wood down into tiny kindling pieces, but it works. It helps if they have had some time to dry out - if you can easily snap them in your hand then they're probably decent for kindling.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Your understanding is correct. What you need to do is apply a thin, fresh layer of a phosphor on your dials. You're looking for something like zinc sulfide.

edit: This page contains instructions for how to apply phosphor to a watch, so worth a glance. Their pigment is probably a Strontium-based one that will glow much brighter than the zinc sulfide, if you're not just trying to restore it to it's former glory.

And radium will make zinc sulfide or the stuff at esslinger.com glow all by itself, without it having to first be charged in daylight? That's really what I'm looking for--something that will glow perpetually (or nearly so) without being exposed to light.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PersonFromPorlock posted:

And radium will make zinc sulfide or the stuff at esslinger.com glow all by itself, without it having to first be charged in daylight? That's really what I'm looking for--something that will glow perpetually (or nearly so) without being exposed to light.
Yes. Sunlight and radium act on them in the same way. They add energy causing the material to emit light and radium never stops emitting energy so it glows until the material itself decomposes.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
last week my the freezer on my fridge stopped freezing stuff. it only keeps it around 35-40 degrees now. it seemed to happen abruptly. the fridge part still works, and the noise the fridge makes is still exactly the same, but the freezer just isn't working for some reason. it's an Amana 20 Energy Saver fridge with a bottom freezer, that I got used and it's pretty old but worked fine up until now

the freezer has a shelf, and underneath on the bottom layer was a shitload of frost

ignore the red box, it's just a receipt. you can see I tried scraping some of the frost aware and found some kind of gap back there but I'm not sure what it is

the bottom of the freezer is directly adjacent to underneath the fridge so here are some pics of what that looks like

I only cleaned the lint out like it says after the trouble started and it went years without that ever being done. not sure if it could be related to the problem. there's also more huge dust bunnies in the shadows that the camera flash didn't reach

here's the left side. on the right is a thing you can turn that clicks, and on the left is a removable tray. the tray is below a hose like it's going to have some liquid in it, and it had a bunch of junk when I removed it that I could tell was from evaporated liquid. but not it stays completely dry, so that could be related to the problem

the left side with the tray removed

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

What's the model number? It'll be on the nameplate inside the fridge door.
If the freezer is new enough it should have an auto defrost, which looks like has failed. Could be screwing up a sensor or something, I'm just guessing. But either way you could start by unplugging the fridge and letting it defrost - you may remember your parents doing this with their freezer. But with the full model number I could dig up the manual and see how it's suppose to work.
Also that pan is to catch the condensate that's formed when the fridge cools down the air (and defrosts ice off the freezer coil).

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 4, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I need to shorten the cables for my computer, but I have the flat style cables, and only have the standard RJ45 heads. Will a standard RJ45 connector head fit with flat cables? I see that they have specialized heads just for flat types. Do I have to use those?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Has there ever been a large society that punishes other people for an individual's crimes, as a method of public pressure towards the perpetrator becoming the deterrent for future criminal acts? Something like how if an individual messes up in Army boot camp the instructors make the rest of the soldiers do push ups, but on a larger scale.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

eleven extra elephants posted:

Has there ever been a large society that punishes other people for an individual's crimes, as a method of public pressure towards the perpetrator becoming the deterrent for future criminal acts? Something like how if an individual messes up in Army boot camp the instructors make the rest of the soldiers do push ups, but on a larger scale.
The phrase you're looking for is collective punishment and yes.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bioshuffle posted:

I need to shorten the cables for my computer, but I have the flat style cables, and only have the standard RJ45 heads. Will a standard RJ45 connector head fit with flat cables? I see that they have specialized heads just for flat types. Do I have to use those?
do not terminate cables yourself. they will be slower or just fail outright. i worked at a telecommunications interconnect and the failure rate for handmade cables, even ones made by skilled techs is high enough that it was our policy only to use premade cables with strain relief jackets. do you even have the tool to crimp them? just wrap them up or buy a cable that is the correct length.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Bioshuffle posted:

yes, that's why they make em, also flat cables suck unless you actually need em to fit somewhere weird

butt dickus posted:

do not terminate cables yourself. they will be slower or just fail outright. i worked at a telecommunications interconnect and the failure rate for handmade cables, even ones made by skilled techs is high enough that it was our policy only to use premade cables with strain relief jackets. do you even have the tool to crimp them? just wrap them up or buy a cable that is the correct length.

counterpoint, i've never bought a premade cable or had one i made fail. and idk how they could be slower instead of just not working at all

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What is the advantage of flathead screws over Phillips? I get it if it was a hold over from olden times and it was harder to make an + shaped driver rather than just a -, but why does it continue today? I've used a slotted screwdriver as a pry way more than for screwing slotted screws.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

What is the advantage of flathead screws over Phillips? I get it if it was a hold over from olden times and it was harder to make an + shaped driver rather than just a -, but why does it continue today? I've used a slotted screwdriver as a pry way more than for screwing slotted screws.

It’s good for high-torque applications. More of the screw-head remains intact than with Phillips so more force can be applied without stripping the head.

Still obviously inferior to God’s own screw head

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have never stripped a flat head.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

tuyop posted:

It’s good for high-torque applications. More of the screw-head remains intact than with Phillips so more force can be applied without stripping the head.

Still obviously inferior to God’s own screw head

this is... extremely wrong. like, pretty much backwards! flathead is around mostly as a holdover like you guessed, and because it's convenient (any jackass with something flat can get after it, vs needing special tools). philips handles torque better, the fact that it'll strip the head before the screw itself is an intentional feature. anything that actually needs torqued down hard is gonna use hex or ideally uh. idk what you call it actually, but a setup where the driver goes around the whole screw/bolt head instead of into a hole in it. why can't i think of the name. poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

owlhawk911 posted:

this is... extremely wrong. like, pretty much backwards! flathead is around mostly as a holdover like you guessed, and because it's convenient (any jackass with something flat can get after it, vs needing special tools). philips handles torque better, the fact that it'll strip the head before the screw itself is an intentional feature. anything that actually needs torqued down hard is gonna use hex or ideally uh. idk what you call it actually, but a setup where the driver goes around the whole screw/bolt head instead of into a hole in it. why can't i think of the name. poo poo

socket wrench? or is :thejoke: