Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

God bless Docking Bay 7. Finally a decent QS in HS

The real problem is that Satu'li Canteen is so good it makes other QS look so bad by comparison. I sit there with my Tip Yip and it's like, sure this isn't bad, but its not Satu'li.

I would knife a kakapo for CSR in-room Satu'li.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I mistakenly thought the pizza window by Via Napoli was the same pizza. And that's how I learned to fear any pizza window.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Hazo posted:

Hey that reminds me, thank you to whoever recommended the cinnamon rolls at Gaston’s. We skipped the end of the castle fireworks on our visit in January to dash over there and it was absolutely worth it.

It was probably anyone in this thread cuz those rolls are so goddamn good. But I’m gonna take credit, so..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You skipped the great ending of Happily Ever After that only happens once a day to get a snack available any time?! :thunk:

you are supposed to take the snacks to eat while you watch the fireworks cmon

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If you like Via Napoli, I really do recommend Pizza Pointe at Springs. It's the same owners, and the pizza is a bit cheaper (not a ton, sadly) but it's mostly by the slice and it's goddamn great. I stopped going to Blaze because of it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I hear the Via Napoli pizza is a good value (in Disney terms) for four people, especially if they're Drinking Around the World.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Dugong posted:

I don’t see how that delivery service works unless they implement a radius from restaurants for delivery. Also don’t hotel rooms massively outnumber restaurants hence why you have to book places months in advance normally?

You have to book months in advance because there's only so many seats in a restaurant, made even more limited by social distancing. My guess is Disney is looking to regain some revenue lost from COVID protocols because their food outlets are running waaaaaaay under design volume.

Plus, if it's profitable and scales well, it's not like they can't build some ghost kitchens on property. Hell, it's not even a new concept.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh yeah I’d fully expect some new kitchens if this looks even vaguely profitable that cooks food from the most popular restaurants.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Put Satu'li food trucks all over the property.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

You skipped the great ending of Happily Ever After that only happens once a day to get a snack available any time?! :thunk:

you are supposed to take the snacks to eat while you watch the fireworks cmon

We'd been checking all day because I'd read whatever goon's suggestion and had been hyping up the rolls (my wife is the true Disney strategizer but I occasionally bring her a nugget from this thread). The lines at Gaston's were constantly outside beyond the fountain, so we figured the only guarantee would be during the show we'd seen a thousand times already.

We dipped after the Hercules segment which the best part aside from Friend Like Me.

We're not amateurs. :colbert:

Fartington Butts posted:

Put Satu'li food trucks all over the property.

:hai:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 4, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/universalorl/status/1334875254154530817?s=21

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dren posted:

cantaloupe on pizza? I am extremely skeptical of this

Yeah the salty sweet combination with the prosciutto is actually very good.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

nimper posted:

Yeah the salty sweet combination with the prosciutto is actually very good.

It's just a fancier ham and pineapple!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

It's just a fancier ham and pineapple!

i would rather have prosciutto and pineapple

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I recently and finally ate at PizzeRizzo and was delighted that it was decently good. I went in with low expectations and was rewarded with a filling meal and a pizza that actually tasted decent and smelled fantastic.

At some point I want to try Tony’s to see how bad it is.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anya posted:

I recently and finally ate at PizzeRizzo and was delighted that it was decently good. I went in with low expectations and was rewarded with a filling meal and a pizza that actually tasted decent and smelled fantastic.

At some point I want to try Tony’s to see how bad it is.

I don't hate Tony's. I always get a passable to good meal and the service is really nice. It's the fact that it's on main street and the themeing is so light-handed that makes me sad.

It's basically 1/10th of a step above olive garden.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Tony's is basically Olive Garden, but at double the price.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah Tony’s is a pass. We tried it last month because the Mrs. likes Italian and wanted me to book it. It was by far the worst meal we had on our trip. Neither of us liked it. Every other place we hit up was good though.

edit: While we're on the topic, here's my thoughts on the places we ate on our trip last month. I'm sure a lot of you have been to these joints and have thoughts, but just in case someone is curious.

Spice Road Table (Epcot): We wanted to hit up Marrekesh but it's still not open, so we did this instead. It was really good. I had the skewers. I liked the theming as well. I'd recommend it.

Yak and Yeti (AK): It was really good. The theming is great as well. I would definitely recommend it. I had the chicken tikka masala and it was really good, one of the better versions of it. Mrs. had the duck and she liked it. If you haven't tried it yet, definitely hit up Yak and Yeti next time. I'll definitely hit it up again next time I'm at AK.

Tiffins (AK): It was...fine? The theming was fine? It just felt like fancy sit down joint and not anything really fun like Yak and Yeti. The food was good though. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to go back there though.

Docking Bay 7 (HS): Probably the best QSR in HS. The menu selection is really good. Along with everything else in Galaxy's Edge, the theming is great. I think this is my go to for lunch at HS now.

Ronto Roasters (HS): I haven't had the lunch/dinner version of the roaster, but the breakfast one is really good. It's my go to breakfast at HS. It's a little pricey, but it's filling and a quick breakfast if you want to make it such.

Oga's Cantina (HS): This is a must go every trip for me. I love it. Yes the drinks are overpriced but it's so loving cool (and the drinks are fun). I talked to the CM that served us and while they do enforce the 45 minute limit, they don't really enforce the 2 drink limit anymore, so I guess you could have a realllllly good time if you wanted. I definitely recommend booking a reservation.

Brown Derby (HS): As far as signature places go, I thought it was better than Tiffins. The food was great in my opinion. I dig the theming. Not sure if I'd go back anytime soon though. It's definitely kind of a 'check it out' once kinda place.

ABC Commissary (HS): It's ok. Nothing to knock your socks off and there's really no theming. If you need an air conditioned place to sit down and grab a lunch, there ya go.

Sci-fi Dine-In (HS): This is by far my favorite restaurant in any of the WDW parks. The theming is awesome. I love a good burger, fries, and shake. The only complaint I have is that they need to make a few more video loops to play. One of the places I definitely try to book every time I go.

Be Our Guest (MK): This is absolutely worth checking out. The theming in all 3 areas is awesome. The food is really good too, which I was surprised by because a lot of comments online say the food is good but not great. The Mrs. asked me to book it next time we go, I guess that will be a thing now.

Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen (MK): I think this was my favorite meal at the MK this trip. I dig the theming and the food was good. I'm also a fan of corny jokes so the staff did not disappoint. I'll definitely book this again.

Pecos Bill (MK): With things kinda weird at MK due to covid, we had a few lunches and snacks here. It was actually really good. I was kinda surprised. The nachos are great and the portions are big enough you can share.

Tony's (MK): If you really like Lady and Tramp, check it out, otherwise, hard pass. Easily the worst meal I had during my trip.

I'm hoping more restaurants will be open when I go next year because I haven't even scratched the surface at Epcot and there were some other places I wanted to try but they were closed as well.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 5, 2020

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I haven’t eaten in an Olive Garden in about ten years - so it would be just as amusing with probably less all you can eat breadsticks and salad. Apparently more grease though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anya posted:

I haven’t eaten in an Olive Garden in about ten years - so it would be just as amusing with probably less all you can eat breadsticks and salad. Apparently more grease though.

It really just depends on the day. I've been to Tony's a few times and the only time I've had it be greasy was when I ordered an olive oil gnocchi dish. So, I mean, you kind of assume it's gonna be a little greasy. The broccoli alfredo I got there once wasn't knock your socks off amazing but it was totally fine and what I'd expect at any chain restaurant.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

if you're gonna do sit down in MK do Skipper's Canteen or Liberty Tree Tavern so you can drink

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Tony's is OK and you can usually get a day-of lunch reservation there.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

A friend whose opinion I trust had a very passable steak at Tony's.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Braksgirl posted:

A friend whose opinion I trust had a very passable steak at Tony's.

This would be a great thread title .

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My dream is that the castle restaurant goes back to a middling steakhouse without character pomp in a great location.

I get that families give Disney a lot of money to get to meet Cinderella inside the castle and have her call the family daughter ‘princess’ and whatnot, but give adult couples looking for a romantic dinner and people who like atmosphere the place in the evenings. Maybe use the castle restaurant in the day for princess meals and Be Our Guest in the evening.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Craptacular! posted:

My dream is that the castle restaurant goes back to a middling steakhouse without character pomp in a great location.

I get that families give Disney a lot of money to get to meet Cinderella inside the castle and have her call the family daughter ‘princess’ and whatnot, but give adult couples looking for a romantic dinner and people who like atmosphere the place in the evenings. Maybe use the castle restaurant in the day for princess meals and Be Our Guest in the evening.

On our honeymoon my wife and I had an amazing dinner at Artist Point, and now we probably will never go back =(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I know I've told the story before, but I think the worst thing I've seen at a character dinner is a character getting berated by the manager right in front of me for failing to acknowledge a family. I understand that perspective, but it sucked to watch the character have to pantomime apologia while the manager had the privilege of speaking his rant.

I've had a lot of fun with characters in the parks, but when I meet them in restaurants I'm basically like "hope you're holding up, take care." There's not much else I got as a middle-aged man stuffing my face who is probably older than the person in the suit and feeling just slightly guilty about it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 6, 2020

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I think the worst thing I've seen at a character dinner is a character getting berated by the manager right in front of me for failing to acknowledge a family. I understand that perspective, but it sucked to watch the character have to pantomime apologia while the manager had the privilege of speaking his rant.

I've had a lot of fun with characters in the parks, but when I meet them in restaurants I'm basically like "hope you're holding up, take care." There's not much else I got as a person stuffing my face who is probably older than the person in the suit.

:stonk: Please tell me that wasn’t at Disney.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nottherealaborn posted:

:stonk: Please tell me that wasn’t at Disney.

Crystal Palace breakfast. Piglet getting chewed out by CM Lead in the middle of the dining room. He wasn't being loud, but he chose to do this business right at my table, and all Piglet could do was just mock surprised jazzhands. This was a lawwwng time ago, btw, probably around 12 years.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 6, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't hate Tony's. I always get a passable to good meal and the service is really nice. It's the fact that it's on main street and the themeing is so light-handed that makes me sad.

It's basically 1/10th of a step above olive garden.

The last time I ate at Tony's, an hour after dinner we were on the People Mover and my insides completely liquified and I went into full panic mode and contemplated jumping off the ride during the dark portion when I saw an exit sign. I was terrified I was going to be the cause of shutting the drat ride down and my wife and son just laughed at me.

E: Food advice for Universal? We are going to DVC Vero in 11 days for a few nights then spending 2 days at Universal with one night at Loews Royal Pacific for my sons 13th birthday present. Any cool places around the parks to grab a quick bite during the day that you guys really like?

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 7, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Craptacular! posted:

Crystal Palace breakfast. Piglet getting chewed out by CM Lead in the middle of the dining room. He wasn't being loud, but he chose to do this business right at my table, and all Piglet could do was just mock surprised jazzhands. This was a lawwwng time ago, btw, probably around 12 years.

The next morning, there was extra unexpected bacon.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Douchebag posted:

The last time I ate at Tony's, an hour after dinner we were on the People Mover and my insides completely liquified and I went into full panic mode and contemplated jumping off the ride during the dark portion when I saw an exit sign. I was terrified I was going to be the cause of shutting the drat ride down and my wife and son just laughed at me.

E: Food advice for Universal? We are going to DVC Vero in 11 days for a few nights then spending 2 days at Universal with one night at Loews Royal Pacific for my sons 13th birthday present. Any cool places around the parks to grab a quick bite during the day that you guys really like?

For quick counter service, you really can't beat the Harry Potter locations which have some of the best quality quick service in any park. The specialty chicken sandwhich at Leaky Cauldron is one of my favorites.

If you are looking for lighter fare, the Today Cafe is actually fantastic and has some great sandwich and salad options plus a ton of desserts.

CityWalk is also full of good places to eat and grab snacks. Voodoo is great for a quick breakfast stop.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Limited edition 1992 throwback Euro Disney merch available today from ShopDisney!

https://twitter.com/DLPReport/status/1336220629180293121

Pretty sure I used to have one of those shirts when I was 10, this takes me back...

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Douchebag posted:

Like mentioned, potter quick service is good. There are a few full service table service restaurants in the parks, Mythos in Islands of Adventure is pretty good, (reservation link https://www.zomatobook.com/widget/uoreservation.aspx?id=O7S175ASN with limited capacity and covid crowds, having a reservation will save a ton of time especially in the 11 day future timeframe when it's bound to be covid busy) there are 3 other table service restaurants there too. Finnegans in Studios across from mummy is good too. In fact the weeks surrounding Christmas, the only way I'd do lunch is with a reservation there.

Some of the places have mobile ordering too. Other quick serve places that are decent, Monsters Cafe (BBQ), Simpsons Fast Food Blvd, and Thunder Falls Terrace (next to the Jurassic River Adventure Splashdown) in IOA. Louie's has decent pizza in the Studios.

In Citywalk all the restaurants are pretty good. Jake's inside Royal Pacific is good too.

And the new Bourne Stuntacular show in studios is a must see.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 8, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

my wife and I are a little crazy about Christmas gifts, especially this year. I ordered her a Trader Sam's print I saw in this thread and got her Figment print at Festival of the Arts when we were there in January for that fest and Galaxy's Edge. I just got them back from the framing place and they look excellent

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Atricks posted:

Like mentioned, potter quick service is good. There are a few full service table service restaurants in the parks, Mythos in Islands of Adventure is pretty good, (reservation link https://www.zomatobook.com/widget/uoreservation.aspx?id=O7S175ASN with limited capacity and covid crowds, having a reservation will save a ton of time especially in the 11 day future timeframe when it's bound to be covid busy) there are 3 other table service restaurants there too. Finnegans in Studios across from mummy is good too. In fact the weeks surrounding Christmas, the only way I'd do lunch is with a reservation there.

Some of the places have mobile ordering too. Other quick serve places that are decent, Monsters Cafe (BBQ), Simpsons Fast Food Blvd, and Thunder Falls Terrace (next to the Jurassic River Adventure Splashdown) in IOA. Louie's has decent pizza in the Studios.

In Citywalk all the restaurants are pretty good. Jake's inside Royal Pacific is good too.

And the new Bourne Stuntacular show in studios is a must see.

Thanks I’ll talk to the wife and see if we want to deal with reservations or just hit up a QS when we are hungry.

Didn’t know about the Bourne show but adding it to our list of things to check out.

Edit: so I have a question about Universals limited capacity. I have tickets purchased for 2 days (22nd and 23rd, with a one night stay on the 22nd.). Does this mean I am guaranteed entry as I have tickets or do I have to make sure I’m there early to get in line?

We have the early entry to Wizarding World and we plan on using it since it’s a very quick trip, I’m just not as familiar with Universal during Covid as I am with Disney.

I do know it’s going to be crowded those days but we have the unlimited express pass from our hotel booking so that’s fine. And I have read up on the virtual queues for the rides that it pertains to so I’ll make sure I’m on top of getting those early in the morning.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's pretty stupid packed at universal, double it on weekends

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

What are the chances food and wine runs next year? I’m half daydreaming half planning a trip.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Douchebag posted:

Thanks I’ll talk to the wife and see if we want to deal with reservations or just hit up a QS when we are hungry.

Didn’t know about the Bourne show but adding it to our list of things to check out.

Edit: so I have a question about Universals limited capacity. I have tickets purchased for 2 days (22nd and 23rd, with a one night stay on the 22nd.). Does this mean I am guaranteed entry as I have tickets or do I have to make sure I’m there early to get in line?

We have the early entry to Wizarding World and we plan on using it since it’s a very quick trip, I’m just not as familiar with Universal during Covid as I am with Disney.

I do know it’s going to be crowded those days but we have the unlimited express pass from our hotel booking so that’s fine. And I have read up on the virtual queues for the rides that it pertains to so I’ll make sure I’m on top of getting those early in the morning.

There are no park reservations, just get there early (Especially that week). Staying at the resorts gets you priority for getting back in. It's been hitting capacity on the weekends lately, so the holiday week is bound to be like that too.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Virtue posted:

What are the chances food and wine runs next year? I’m half daydreaming half planning a trip.

They did it this year (minus the parties) so pretty good chance.