Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I also can't recommend the audiobooks enough. They're loving fantastic and the narrator is incredible with voices. He gives everyone completely unique accents in a way that it sounds like a full production with multiple voice actors.

The only thing so far that the audiobook spoiled for me is that in Hero of Ages Sazed is the Hero of Ages, since the epigraphs are read in his accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I also can't recommend the audiobooks enough. They're loving fantastic and the narrator is incredible with voices. He gives everyone completely unique accents in a way that it sounds like a full production with multiple voice actors.

The only thing so far that the audiobook spoiled for me is that in Hero of Ages Sazed is the Hero of Ages, since the epigraphs are read in his accent.

If you like those you'll dig the Stormlight audiobooks when you get there -- Michael Kramer, that guy from the Mistborn ones, alternates narration with his partner Kate Reading (they each take chapters with specific characters) and they're better together imo

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

That alone in my opinion is enough to justify reading a physical book the first time (for Mistborn at least). Having that spoiled would have really been a bummer if I'd used the audiobook.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It's okay. It's still fun to see how he gets there.

Y'know. Journey before destination and all that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I mean, it’s also incredibly obvious by the like fourth or fifth one when they say “<words>, I think.”

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think, therefore I am Sazed

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
In non-Mistborn/RoW chat, I've finally now got the time to take a look at the Dawnshard extras from the Way of Kings Kickstarter–namely Sanderson released ALL of his drafts (there's 4 of them) plus the beta read responses, revision notes and the uncorrected proofing copy. That is, he released basically all of the key outputs in his entire creative process.

I've had a little bit of trouble working out the best way to navigate through this, but I think I've landed on going chapter by chapter just so I can track what he changed from version to version. It's a small enough book that in theory I could have read each of the drafts in their entirety but it'd be difficult to keep track of everything in my head.

Only about 3 chapters in but man, this is so fascinating. The beta read spreadsheet alone is amazing. The revision notes that accompany each revision is amazing. Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Sanderson may not be everyone's cup of tea and any time his books come up in the main SFF thread there's always Sanderson bashing but geez, all I can say as both a fan and someone who's trying to learn how to do this, the man is an educational goldmine.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

big mean giraffe posted:

That alone in my opinion is enough to justify reading a physical book the first time (for Mistborn at least). Having that spoiled would have really been a bummer if I'd used the audiobook.

It's such a weird choice (or mistake) unless Sanderson told them to do that. I'm pretty sure that'll spoil a few things in other books as well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Rofl. TenSoon on his way to Urteau with Kelsier’s bones. Dis gonna be good.

This book is so good in that I can see all these pieces that they have laid out in front of me but I just can’t see how they connect and it is driving me crazy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mordiceius posted:

This book is so good in that I can see all these pieces that they have laid out in front of me but I just can’t see how they connect and it is driving me crazy.

That's kinda Sanderson at his best.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Mordiceius posted:

Hero of Ages is a book length Sanderlanche. It really is good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I finished RoW If I never have to read/hear the words Tone/Light/Fabrial again I'll be happy all of that dragged out way too long. I'm glad Shallan absorbed Veil so maybe that will tone down a little I need to reread that sequence it felt a little off to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Some of it will be obvious in retrospect, but at least I didn't see it coming. I had a blast with the ending of HoA, and I'm sure you will do, too.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There will be plenty of things you don't get as well, because Sanderson is exactly the kind of guy to insert details that don't pay off until the last couple of Cosmere books. As a matter if fact, if there's not something in the last three books that doesn't make me have to flip open Final Empire, Elantris or Warbreaker and go "holy poo poo he planned that, Sanderson you magnificent bastard!" I will eat my hat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
RoW and all Mistborn spoilers: I have a sudden urge for some AU where some of those Kandra scientists get together with Navani and her team and sperg out about investiture. I loved the Raboniel and Navani portions of RoW, even if they went on a bit too long. But just imagine what the artifabriants could do with the knowledge that steel for example is the external physical pushing metal, or copper the internal mental puling metal. Not to mention those to Rosharans undiscovered metals. What kind of fabrials could you create with the help of the external temporal pushing metal? The possibilities seem endless, considering how many spren and surges there are to combine with the metals.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finished part 4 of Hero of Ages -

I really liked the climax of stuff with Spook in Urteau. My only complaint with this book so far is that I feel like the stuff with "Kelsier" in his Spook's head went on a little too long. It was clearly not Kelsier since everyone hearing voices thus far has been hearing the voice of Ruin. The climax and resolution with that with the city burning and chaos all around was incredibly satisfying even if parts of that journey felt like it dragged a little.

I was expecting TenSoon to play into that, not arrive after the chaos. But it's probably better this way. Very curious what role he still has to play in this.

Heading in to the final section, I feel like there are so many puzzle pieces in front of me and I just cannot figure out how they connect. It's like someone gave me an IKEA furniture box and took away the instructions and left me no pictures.

Also, my wife has been curious about the book and keeps asking me for updates on the book so instead I just bought the box set and I'm going to read them to her. Pre-2020, we'd read before bed (or more accurately, I'd read books to her while she played iphone games.) For 2020, we mainly just get stoned every night. lol Hoping to get back into reading. She knows a lot of the plot details just because I've told her a lot about the stories as I've been making it through them, but she only knows the vaguest details so I'll be excited to take her on the full journey.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You’re going to get a real shock at the end of Bands of Mourning

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Daric posted:

You’re going to get a real shock at the end of Bands of Mourning

Of course, you've got another ~1000 pages or so to go til then.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Feels like every Sanderson books ends with at least one real shock.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

M_Gargantua posted:

It's cheap, but effective so long as it's not the same thing over again "the princess is in another castle!." Always leave another hook.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

As much as I felt RoW dragged the reveal near the end there really was fantastic and paints all sorts of stuff in a different picture. The Spren being in on it explains things much better and makes the Knights seem like much less jerks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

As much as I felt RoW dragged the reveal near the end there really was fantastic and paints all sorts of stuff in a different picture. The Spren being in on it explains things much better and makes the Knights seem like much less jerks.

Yeah, the fact that it was all fully consensual and that the Spren knew that if things went pear shaped, they would become deadeyes and they made that choice anyway was really awesome. It really shifted the idea that the humans were totally horrible. Of course the selfish act of breaking the Oathpact was bad and left a fellow herald out to dry, but it suddenly becomes a lot less bad

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OKAY I had not thought I was going to finally finish RoW today, but I sat down and clearly started the Sanderstorm so then I just laid on the couch for like 4 hours with my book glued to my hands.

Virtually every chapter with Navani and Raboniel owned. Absolutely loved this. For a while I figured Navani was going to bond The Sibling, but then I started to think maybe Rlain would once the tower kept becoming more and more corrupted.

The reveal with Shallan and Pattern and everything was pretty intense, although the 'introduction' with Formless definitely had me really concerned about her arc for this whole book.

Maya's tesimony was so good oh my god.

Kaladin being with minimal powers / without Syl felt entirely too long, and too familiar to when he previously nearly lost Syl. Him rocking The Persuer Defeated One owns bones. I don't want to say his time in the mental ward went nowhere, because of Dalinar's task for him at the end -- lol -- but in general I feel like Kal's story also just really dragged for a lot of this book.

Jasnah having Wit lay the smackdown on Ruthar also ruled. And then she really laid the smack down on him, and that ruled harder.

I don't even know where to begin with Taravangian / Odium. What were those 2 spheres Renarin gave him? That Szeth kindly smashed lol. And what was Szeth asking Taravangian about his father? I guess that's probably a RAFO for his flashbacks in the next book

Nearly every single Eshonai flashback was just one giant :shrug: for me. And in fact ending the book on a flashback like that felt like a bit of a wet fart after how hugely awesome every other chapter was. I was sorely tempted to just skip it, read the Epilogue, then come back to it but I toughed it out.

A little disappointed we still don't know basically anything at all about... any of the other orders of Knights Radiant still.

More than ever before, a big olllll gently caress MOASH.

Was this the first book El has ever been mentioned? I could have sworn that name has been used before, but the only citations on Coppermind are to ROW. My cousin suspects I'm thinking of El from the Licanius Trilogy, which I read in the recent past :thunk:

OH and Odium/Wit at the end :wtc:

I was starting to re-read Mistborn Era 1 before RoW came out and I kinda wanna move on to Hero of Ages now, but drat I'm looking forward to my first re-read of this book. So many big things happened / starting to pull back the curtain...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 6, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Sab669 posted:

OKAY I had not thought I was going to finally finish RoW today, but I sat down and clearly started the Sanderstorm so then I just laid on the couch for like 4 hours with my book glued to my hands.

I don't even know where to begin with Taravangian / Odium. What were those 2 spheres Renarin gave him? That Szeth kindly smashed lol. And what was Szeth asking Taravangian about his father? I guess that's probably a RAFO for his flashbacks in the next book

Was this the first book El has ever been mentioned? I could have sworn that name has been used before, but the only citations on Coppermind are to ROW. My cousin suspects I'm thinking of El from the Licanius Trilogy, which I read in the recent past :thunk:

OH and Odium/Wit at the end :wtc:

Yea I also want to know what was going on with the 2 spheres Renarin gave Taravangian. Did they have corrupted spren in them for him to bond? That's the only thing I could think of but why did Renarin give them to him?

Ok I also thought the same thing about El but we must be confusing it with some other piece of fiction. It just feels so familiar to me?

So thinking back to Wit and Odium I believe that entire exchange was planned by Wit even him 'losing' his memories. The chapter title and the entire first part of it doing the magic trick makes me think everything was misdirection to accomplish his true goal. He probably implanted false memories or something.

I think everyone else has covered this but I think Odium will somehow force the battle of champions to be a stalemate so he can continue to act as he wishes.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sja-anat knows that Odium is keeping a watch out for corrupted spren, which is why she sent two corrupted windspren alongside the spren which bonded Rlain as a distraction. When those two stones he gave Taravangian got smashed, corrupted windspren came out, which is what drew Odium's attention.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Infinite Karma posted:

Sja-anat knows that Odium is keeping a watch out for corrupted spren, which is why she sent two corrupted windspren alongside the spren which bonded Rlain as a distraction. When those two stones he gave Taravangian got smashed, corrupted windspren came out, which is what drew Odium's attention.

OH wow this makes so much more sense now. Thank you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished RoW

IDK if Brandon spoke to a scientist about audio frequencies and noise cancelling. He probably did and decided the story wins out. It took me out of the story a little bit because the characters didn't have the tech to do destructive interference of sound waves, just messing around with wave frequency (tuning forks, trimming resonant plates). His out is probably that it's not a sine wave, he describes a rhythm to the tones, but bleh

Overall still enjoyed it much much more than oathbringer. I want to see more truthwatchers and what their powers are, stump is introduced and she barely does anything

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mewse posted:

Overall still enjoyed it much much more than oathbringer. I want to see more truthwatchers and what their powers are, stump is introduced and she barely does anything

Ha, I forgot she was even in this book. Seems like more of just an "easter egg" for whoever read the novella. But yes I agree I was really hoping other Orders would get a little more screen time. I don't think Malata has done, like, anything?? I think given how Sanderson has said he's aware of Perspective/Named Characters Bloat we probably won't really see any Ideals spoken by any tertiary characters, and I guess that kinda makes sense because we won't care a whole lot about those characters but I was definitely hoping to see some other Ideals, man

Also I just realized Stargyle must be named after Sanderson's artist, Steve Argyle. I want a self-insert character!! :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 7, 2020

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Sab669 posted:

This is the first time we’ve met this El (that we know of), but Sanderson did El as a nickname for Elend in Mistborn era 1.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If I was bored with Oathbringer and ready to quit the series, is Rhythm of War going to change my mind?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

BananaNutkins posted:

If I was bored with Oathbringer and ready to quit the series, is Rhythm of War going to change my mind?

Nah. But I'm guessing (hoping) it will be worth it to read some plot summaries and come back for book 5.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

mewse posted:

Finished RoW

IDK if Brandon spoke to a scientist about audio frequencies and noise cancelling. He probably did and decided the story wins out. It took me out of the story a little bit because the characters didn't have the tech to do destructive interference of sound waves, just messing around with wave frequency (tuning forks, trimming resonant plates). His out is probably that it's not a sine wave, he describes a rhythm to the tones, but bleh

This WoB talks a little bit about this - https://wob.coppermind.net/events/451/#e14471

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tunzie posted:

This WoB talks a little bit about this - https://wob.coppermind.net/events/451/#e14471

Thanks for this, I'm glad he considered it but I wish he hadn't brought destructive interference into the story. He's facing the same mechanics going on with stormlight/voidlight/lifelight because light frequencies determine colour where sound frequencies determine tone, but he's not going to introduce destructive interference with light because there aren't light cancelling sunglasses for him to drag in from the real world. The prism experiment that Navani performs didn't irk me like the way he dealt with sound.

I feel it would have been better if he'd written that the tones of honor, cultivation, odium and their opposites are all just different and the opposites nullify the main ones through intent - since that's basically how the light system seems to be shaking out - rather than say "yeah it's destructive interference" "but that makes no sense" "*waves hands* ... intent."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy poo poo. The Kandra first generation were terrismen. gently caress. That’s so good.

The big thing I’m still wondering is why the mists kill. The Mist Spirit was Preservation so were the Mists of Preservation as well? I’m sure this will get explained, but it’s the only thing I’ve been a little confused about so far. And why 16%????

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

BananaNutkins posted:

Depends on why you were bored with OB. If it was for any of these reasons:

• Mopey Kaladin
  • Shallan DID
  • Too many new POVs
  • Not enough character moments

Then probably read a plot summary and skip to KoW/Book Five. RoW spoilers Both the Kaladin and Shallan issues move forward though.

If you're a Cosmere nut though, you should read it for those reveals. Most of them are in the Navani/Shallan/Taravangian POVs. And you could skip or skim the Venli/Eshonai stuff without much of a loss.

Edit: fixed typo

Leng fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 8, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mordiceius posted:

Holy poo poo. The Kandra first generation were terrismen. gently caress. That’s so good.

The big thing I’m still wondering is why the mists kill. The Mist Spirit was Preservation so were the Mists of Preservation as well? I’m sure this will get explained, but it’s the only thing I’ve been a little confused about so far. And why 16%????

Why indeed...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunzie posted:

It's still a weird answer if you account for the sound plates. Navani took a plate for one tone, filed it down a bit until it was kinda different but still the same, and created her new tone. What mattered was the Intent when she created the plate was to create the anti-light sound, but she still should have created a different frequency plate in the process (if she wanted it to be the same frequency at the end, you'd have to start with a plate that was out of tune before filing it down, as opposed to starting with one that was in tune). It seems kinda problematic to attach Intent to non-invested items like this (or perhaps its better to say its kinda complicated?), as that opens the door for Intent to mean everything and nothing. For instance, if Navani had someone else do the filing while she listented and gave directions, would that Intent still attach? What if at the same time, the person holding the file also had a different Intent in mind? What if two people with different Intents created a plate together?

IMO he could have done something interesting with beat frequencies or chords instead, but that would have been more complicated to explain. Part of me wishes he had explained less because that could make its own kind of sense, in the way that the color in The Color Out of Space made "sense" (it didn't, it was impossible, and part of the cosmic horror is that science is fundamentally wrong in a way that breaks all of our understanding).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slanderer posted:

Part of me wishes he had explained less because that could make its own kind of sense

Yeah, exactly, glad it wasn't just me

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I wrote up my thoughts on ROW last week but I've hesitated to post them all at once, since I'm still considering the Cosmere implications of a bunch of things. But one thing that's been annoying me for a while are all the cognitive shadows.

ROW and Mistborn spoilers:
I was annoyed by this since before ROW just due to reading WOBs, but he made it canon now. It's really weird to me that he's leaned into "everything that dies even for a second is a cognitive shadow, nope not a person just a magic ghost that looks like a person". Like we've already established that souls stick around for a sec after death, so toss them back in their body, reconnect them and you're good to go, right?? Nope apparently not (and apparently Wax never really died, just mostly died, so he gets a pass). There's either a deep cosmere reason for this, or at least a philosophical reason. I would have liked a philosphical discussion in the text somewhere from "experts" debating the difference (ie, if there's continuity of consciousness, their mind doesn't pass beyond and their soul doesnt dissipate, did they die?). I get that he wanted to really make it clear that you'll probably be able to capture the souls of any cognitive shadows with the herald killing daggers, but he never gets into why they're special or "like spren". Sure they're invested, but so are plenty of people in the books! Why is an invested shadow different from an invested soul?

The paranoid part of me wonders if Brandon has a personal or religious reason for it (only God can truly bring about resurrection??), but that's having so little faith in him that I know there has to be a good rationale...right? Because otherwise the mechanics of ghosts and pseudo-resurrection just seems boring and lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Whimsy is here on Earth and fused with Wes Anderson.

Just finished and I want to throw my own pet theory on the pile: I wonder if the human radiants who gave up their spren also suffered adverse effects and no one remembers because a human life span is a long weekend in Shadesmar.