Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Segue posted:

Made gong bao mushrooms from Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice and continue to be amazed at how much flavour Sichuan cuisine gets from a handful of ingredients.

That book is a gem since it's mostly more accessible home cooking dishes with a lot of vegan recipes for when I want to switch up from Indian

Seconding that this book is good as hell.

Honestly all her books are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not sure if I should be asking this here or in general.

I have a tonne of left over cao guo (/tsao-ko / "chinese black cardomom", if you're weird), and I was wondering if anyone had found good uses for it outside of Chinese cookery.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I managed to acquire a bucket of actual 川式红油 and now I don't know what to do with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

I managed to acquire a bucket of actual 川式红油 and now I don't know what to do with it.

Mail me a bottle.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Hello people from the US Pol thread.

We had a Chinese Cooking derail and suggested we take it here

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I was in that thread and I am now here. Time to learn new cooking tech :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Welcome. We like Chinese food here. I made some yesterday and ate it. :thumbsup:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

Welcome. We like Chinese food here. I made some yesterday and ate it. :thumbsup:
This week I made 干煸四季豆 for the first time since pulling up the long bean plants in the garden. It was okay, but I'm totally spoiled on the cultivar of long bean I've been growing for the past couple years, which I like a lot more than anything I can get from the market or CSA.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm gonna have to learn Chinese to understand this thread too :P

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SubG posted:

This week I made 干煸四季豆 for the first time since pulling up the long bean plants in the garden. It was okay, but I'm totally spoiled on the cultivar of long bean I've been growing for the past couple years, which I like a lot more than anything I can get from the market or CSA.

I also made this yesterday. Never seen it with yardlong beans but can't imagine it wouldn't work. The groceries here sell only the shittiest yardlongs, it sucks.

Framboise posted:

Sorry about that. Unfortunately translated Chinese food names are at best inconsistent and at worst useless, and a lot of us learned Chinese food in China so I have no clue what you'd even call most of it in English.

Google translate usually works for food names. The Zhongwen Chinese dictionary plugin for Chrome is good too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Framboise posted:

Literally 100% of the Chinese I can read is food-related. But like Grand Fromage says I only use it when there's no obvious/consistent name for something in English. Like the dish I mentioned, 干煸四季豆, is dry braised green beans or dry sautéd green beans or dry fried green beans or even Sichuan (or Szechuan or whatever) green beans. I kinda want to say that "dry fried" is the most common way it's referred to online, probably because e.g. Fuchsia Dunlop uses this translation. But restaurants nearby are pretty evenly divided between using "braised" or "sautéd".

Grand Fromage posted:

I also made this yesterday. Never seen it with yardlong beans but can't imagine it wouldn't work. The groceries here sell only the shittiest yardlongs, it sucks.
Yeah, local markets seem to mostly have the super thin, dry-ish, and starchy kind of long beans. I think the ones I've been growing are the Kurosanjaku cultivar--I've been saving seed and re-planting for several years now, so I might be misremembering--and they're about midway between the super thin kind of long bean and something more like a haricot vert or whatever. The plants are productive as hell and the beans are suuuuuper good with a light char.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have so many Asian veggie seeds but the backyard was a huge failure, not enough sun to grow anything. I think I got like five beans total from my yardlongs. Didn't bother trying again this year.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I have so many Asian veggie seeds but the backyard was a huge failure, not enough sun to grow anything. I think I got like five beans total from my yardlongs. Didn't bother trying again this year.
Sucks. Garden was kinda a mess this year--usually we do a pretty even mix between stuff we start from seed and stuff we get as seedlings from local nurseries. But planting was right around the start of lockdown this year, so no trip to the nursery. Which meant that about 50% of the garden was "oh poo poo what'll go here" late planting.

Had really good luck this spring with various greens. Yu choy and gai lan were kinda a bust (they all wanted to bolt almost immediately) but had two different cultivars of bok choy that were productive as gently caress. And one of them just would not bolt--they kept producing well into the summer heat. Had similar good luck with a patch of komatsuna--kept producing, refused to bolt, and even resisted an outbreak of powdery mildew that took out the mustard greens right next to it.

Got an absolute shitload of bitter melon this year too, from a single volunteer vine. Was getting a couple pounds a week off that one vine, which is way more bitter melon than I actually need.

Also got my largest harvest to date from my sad little (very young) Sichuan peppercorn bush--enough for like two bowls of mapo.

Hot peppers were pretty much a bust. Got literally one habanero off one of the habanero plants. Thai birds produced adequately, but nowhere near as abundantly as in a typical year. Similar luck with the Japanese eggplant--had about a month and a half of getting enough for 鱼香茄子/fish fragrant eggplant every week, then the plants sorta got unproductive. Which is very much not my typical experience with Japanese eggplants--they tend to produce like crazy until the hottest part of summer.

Alliums all produced well, but alliums pretty much always do their own thing. The ones planted last fall or this past spring are all harvested now, but I have a whole end of one raised bed full of CSA transplants that I just put in there to keep producing greens. Hoping to get a bunch of scapes out of them this spring. This past spring we had a bumper crop of scapes from the potato onions I left in the ground last fall and holy poo poo were they good in soup and so on.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Learning some characters (or at least learning to tell them apart) also comes in handy for buying products. I've been in a store where products are labelled a few ways in English but the Chinese labels are all the same.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have some gai lan in the garden now and a few types of radishes. I wasn’t able to plant in the spring, so had to make it up with what I could. I have a Thai bird pepper from a random garden center that did okay, and is fragrant. I’ll see if it winters okay or not, but it’s not a loss. I’ll be doing yardlongs again next spring. Going forward I should be able to plant them for over winter again as well.

I do, however, have 4 erjingtiao plants happily producing fruit in my basement. They’re rather prolific even under crappy 3’ LEDs. I’m giving hand pollinated seeds away in the garden thread, but they’re from the Mala Market sun dried peppers. I have a heaven facing too that’s doing well. Smaller than I’d expect outside, but they need to be potted up. They’ll get put out in the spring, but I’m not seed saving those yet. They were too hard to get isolated properly, so I’ll do that later.

I do have good Asian groceries nearby again, and if it weren’t for a seemingly not ending pandemic, would use them much more frequently. They are mostly aimed at Japanese and Korean kitchens, but do still have a good Chinese section.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jhet posted:

I do, however, have 4 erjingtiao plants happily producing fruit in my basement. They’re rather prolific even under crappy 3’ LEDs. I’m giving hand pollinated seeds away in the garden thread, but they’re from the Mala Market sun dried peppers. I have a heaven facing too that’s doing well. Smaller than I’d expect outside, but they need to be potted up. They’ll get put out in the spring, but I’m not seed saving those yet. They were too hard to get isolated properly, so I’ll do that later.

Ho lee shitballs I want erjingtiao and chaotianjiao seeds so bad. I can find enough sunny space for a few chili plants, those grew okay last year. I would be stoked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Ho lee shitballs I want erjingtiao and chaotianjiao seeds so bad. I can find enough sunny space for a few chili plants, those grew okay last year. I would be stoked.

I can send some seeds, definitely not a problem, but they’re still turning ripe. I’ll be giving them a few more weeks on the plant before drying. It’ll be around the end of the year when I’d expect them to be closer to sending. They grew really well, beyond any expectation and the fruit looks pretty good. Still not sure if it’s 100% right, but they smell and taste good. They’re just not as long as I was expecting, but they did come from a place which I’d hoped was getting the right stuff.

The other I’m not entirely sure on yet if they’re the exact right pepper strain. They were labeled as Chi-Chien, which origin is from the right part of China, is a C. Annuum, but might not be exactly chaotianjiao? It’s called heaven facing by a lot of people still, but I won’t know until I get something ripe from the plants (even then I may not be completely certain). It’s the bane of the translation. I’d guess 30 days more before they start to turn, but it’s just a guess. They smell fragrant while green, so it might be pretty close. I have extra seeds from where I ordered them, and I’d be happy to stick a couple into the envelope too.

Honestly, unless I get seeds hand delivered by someone’s family from China I won’t be 100% sure at this point. None of the supposed seeds I’ve wasted money on from random internet places with correct labels have turned out, so this just might be as close as I ever get.

I’m just happy that I’ve got my 1st grader happily eating all of this, including liberal uses of doubanjiang and chili oil. Still working him into being comfortable with huajiao. There’s a Szechuan restaurant nearby that could definitely test his willingness to try things, and they look pretty legit if I’m comparing to Chef Wang’s channel.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dzhay posted:

Not sure if I should be asking this here or in general.

I have a tonne of left over cao guo (/tsao-ko / "chinese black cardamom", if you're weird), and I was wondering if anyone had found good uses for it outside of Chinese cookery.

Update: I put it in some cheap whisky. Highly recommended.

(Maybe just use the shells though, seeds are a bit too lemony)

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Testikles posted:

Anybody have a recommendation on a good chinese style clay pot? I want to do some dongpo pork and want to do it more the traditional route. Also I have an electric coil stove. Anybody have experience using a pot on that? So far I know I need a heat diffuser and to go low and slow but any other advice would be useful.

So I've worked it out. I bought a claypot and a heat diffuser, and the pot has survived a couple of trips on the stove. Generally I have to keep the stove a notch or two above the indicated setting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jhet posted:

I can send some seeds, definitely not a problem, but they’re still turning ripe. I’ll be giving them a few more weeks on the plant before drying. It’ll be around the end of the year when I’d expect them to be closer to sending. They grew really well, beyond any expectation and the fruit looks pretty good. Still not sure if it’s 100% right, but they smell and taste good. They’re just not as long as I was expecting, but they did come from a place which I’d hoped was getting the right stuff.

The other I’m not entirely sure on yet if they’re the exact right pepper strain. They were labeled as Chi-Chien, which origin is from the right part of China, is a C. Annuum, but might not be exactly chaotianjiao? It’s called heaven facing by a lot of people still, but I won’t know until I get something ripe from the plants (even then I may not be completely certain). It’s the bane of the translation. I’d guess 30 days more before they start to turn, but it’s just a guess. They smell fragrant while green, so it might be pretty close. I have extra seeds from where I ordered them, and I’d be happy to stick a couple into the envelope too.

I'd love to give them a shot. I don't have a setup for indoor growing so certainly no rush, I wouldn't be planting anything until like April.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd love to give them a shot. I don't have a setup for indoor growing so certainly no rush, I wouldn't be planting anything until like April.

I'll throw your name on my list then. I'll be sending them out early in the new year.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

just type poo poo like ganbian sijidou (干煸四季豆) in pinyin dudes.

makes it easier for everyone who cant read the characters.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Jhet posted:

I'll throw your name on my list then. I'll be sending them out early in the new year.

I hate to jump in but if you have any spare seeds, I would love some as well! Finding appropriate peppers out here in Denver can really be hit-or-miss and I'd love to surprise my wife with some tastes from home.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Amergin posted:

I hate to jump in but if you have any spare seeds, I would love some as well! Finding appropriate peppers out here in Denver can really be hit-or-miss and I'd love to surprise my wife with some tastes from home.

I have four of the erjingtiao producing right now, so I definitely have enough of those. I don’t know how many of the chi-chien I have, but I’ll take stock before I send seeds and toss some in if I have any left. I don’t know when they’ll be ripe, but I have the hand pollinated ones marked. I’ll add you to the list.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

just type poo poo like ganbian sijidou (干煸四季豆) in pinyin dudes.

makes it easier for everyone who cant read the characters.

or better yet, write both

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gong Bao Ji Ding

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Jhet posted:

I have four of the erjingtiao producing right now, so I definitely have enough of those. I don’t know how many of the chi-chien I have, but I’ll take stock before I send seeds and toss some in if I have any left. I don’t know when they’ll be ripe, but I have the hand pollinated ones marked. I’ll add you to the list.

Mind if I hop in line as well? Would love to get my hands on erjingtiao and whatever else you have on hand!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

canoshiz posted:

Mind if I hop in line as well? Would love to get my hands on erjingtiao and whatever else you have on hand!

Absolutely. The erjingtiao have been mostly picked and it looks like I'm getting a ton of seeds. The chi-chien are still getting ripe, but I should have a handful of those to send too just probably not as many.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jhet posted:

Absolutely. The erjingtiao have been mostly picked and it looks like I'm getting a ton of seeds. The chi-chien are still getting ripe, but I should have a handful of those to send too just probably not as many.

well, poo poo, if you've got a ton of seeds, I would happily take a stab at growing some here too

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hauki posted:

well, poo poo, if you've got a ton of seeds, I would happily take a stab at growing some here too

Yeah, the plants are doing great and taste great. I'll add you too. Anyone else can PM me too if you want. I asked in the gardening thread first, but this is where I clearly should have gone. They're going to be packets of 6-10, but hand pollination is easy and then you can have seeds and the plants forever too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot I picked up a metric ton of various frozen wontons at the asian grocery a few weeks ago and want to use them before they go freezer-bad. With that said, I feel like this may be the dumbest thing I’ve asked since it seems very obvious, but I need some sort of recipe for your basic take-out wonton soup broth: Is it anything more than chicken stock, sesame oil, salt and soy? I can experiment with the proportions but I guess I want to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious.

I’m such a sucker for take-out wonton soup, it’s very much a guilty pleasure comfort food and if this pans out I plan to basically just eat it all winter :haw:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dunno if it's authentic, but that's what I've done in the past. If you want to get a little fancy you can drizzle some beaten egg into it for a lovely knock-off egg-drop-wonton soup. In school I also made an abomination by doing a roux at first, adding chicken broth, then dropping in the wontons to cook em, and finishing with some egg. Pretty much just a thicker, opaque wonton/egg-drop soup. Probably terrible for me, but it was super tasty.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Martytoof posted:

I forgot I picked up a metric ton of various frozen wontons at the asian grocery a few weeks ago and want to use them before they go freezer-bad. With that said, I feel like this may be the dumbest thing I’ve asked since it seems very obvious, but I need some sort of recipe for your basic take-out wonton soup broth: Is it anything more than chicken stock, sesame oil, salt and soy? I can experiment with the proportions but I guess I want to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious.

I’m such a sucker for take-out wonton soup, it’s very much a guilty pleasure comfort food and if this pans out I plan to basically just eat it all winter :haw:

Your recipe is my recipe except I add chopped scallions and a handful of fresh spinach once it's served.

E: oh I put in white and black pepper, and dried chilis sometimes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool thanks. One day I’ll get around to actually making my own wontons but right now I have a giant backlog of mass produced stuff to get through :3:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
In chinatown here they make it with powdered flounder, shrimp shell and pork bones.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Hit up my local market today and these had shown up. Next hotpot night is looking pretty authentic. The one from Sichuan sounds especially good. Never seen stuff here with prickly ash and rapeseed oil.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

droll posted:

Hit up my local market today and these had shown up. Next hotpot night is looking pretty authentic. The one from Sichuan sounds especially good. Never seen stuff here with prickly ash and rapeseed oil.

Prickly ash is Szechuan Peppercorn and rapeseed oil is another name for canola.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Oh I thought Rapeseed and Canola were similar but different plants. TIL.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

However the translation is not quite right there, the Chinese says it's caiziyou, which is the roasted rapeseed oil often used in Sichuan. It is the same plant as canola but tastes quite different. If it's accurate, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I like kenjis wonton stock recipe as it tastes pretty similar to the HK restaurant/bakery type places that are my main wonton source here (BC). Gotta have that little hint of seafood taste behind the pork/chicken/msg

e::I think canola (Canada Oil) was just a more appealing name for rapeseed invented by Canadian farmers for marketing purposes