Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I thought the Anna Jay Unrestricted was kind of boring. She hasn't really been in the buisiness long enough to have any interesting stories and they don't really go very in depth about anything she has done or is doing in AEW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bryan with Garrett
https://twitter.com/roheblius/status/1334176668538191874

Also Dave with Garrett from 2 weeks back. Dunno if it got posted but it was new to me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is the oldest I've ever seen Bryan look, had no idea his hair had gotten this grey.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

This is the oldest I've ever seen Bryan look, had no idea his hair had gotten this grey.
yeah the better quality lighting setup has been extremely unkind lmao

god help us when vinnie returns

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

two kids

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

7 hours of WWE every week

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hahaha the timestamps for today's WOR:

Start: Pat Patterson
44:30: Sting, Don Callis/Impact/AEW
53:41: Quick NXT thoughts
55:46: AEW

:xd:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That’s a hell of an obit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

That’s a hell of an obit

It's really good, Dave tells some great stories.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
thanks, I'll skip

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That amount of time for NXT is damning since it's the go home show for War Games.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Dave's Patterson talk is a really good listen

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

if you run a "PPV" every three weeks, the notion of a "go-home" show becomes meaningless

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Incessant Excess posted:

At the time of recording, that was the oldest Bryan had ever been.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Dave Meltzer's logic that San Francisco was less homophobic than Texas or other parts of the country he visited because of Pat Patterson being a top wrestling star in SF is an interesting sociological analysis.

Not malicious or anything, just a great wrestling bubble story.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Haven't listened yet but did he base it on that solely? My perception of SF is that it was known for being less homophobic and more progressive than most of the US for most of the last century at least. Not sure if it's still the case now.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I had always kind of assumed that Pat settled in SF for years BECAUSE it had become a better place for a gay man to live than almost anywhere else he could have worked.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wezlar posted:

I thought the Anna Jay Unrestricted was kind of boring. She hasn't really been in the buisiness long enough to have any interesting stories and they don't really go very in depth about anything she has done or is doing in AEW.

It was better than the Jade Cargill one that I thought was boring as poo poo for exactly the same reasons except even more.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dave's talking about Patterson was very good

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
This is from a few days ago, but I just wanna say that Dave knowing the name Thanos, but not how to pronounce it, kinda made my day.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Karmine posted:

This is from a few days ago, but I just wanna say that Dave knowing the name Thanos, but not how to pronounce it, kinda made my day.

Imagining Dave pulling an Infinity Gauntlet TPB out of the classic mess of papers and laughing

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Trying to use the gauntlet to organize his papers and only destroying it in the process.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dave revealing that everybody figured out Pat was gay because he didn't want to gently caress underage girls was... Something.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dave revealing that everybody figured out Pat was gay because he didn't want to gently caress underage girls was... Something.

the britwres method.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gonzo McFee posted:

...wait, seriously?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

flashy_mcflash posted:

Haven't listened yet but did he base it on that solely? My perception of SF is that it was known for being less homophobic and more progressive than most of the US for most of the last century at least. Not sure if it's still the case now.
That's what I'm talking about, I fully believe that Dave's adolescence growing up in the Bay Area involved a) a much more progressive view of homosexuality than most people his age experienced and b) a lot of his peers liking Pat Patterson and also not using homophobic slurs in high school, but he kind of flipped the cause and effect when he was talking about it.

It was also him extemporaneously speaking about a childhood hero he later got to know who just died, also it's Dave Meltzer, so I am sure the precision of language was not high and he may not actually believe that chain of causation, I guess we'll wait to see his newsletter write-up.

davidbix posted:

...wait, seriously?
Kind of?

"I probably learned what a gay person is from Pat Patterson. Because I was eleven years old and I remember going to the matches and I would hang around with the women -- who were not much older than me that were... boy, would that be terrible today. But that's how the world was. And the whole big thing was that Patterson was a good looking guy and um... and the women all liked him and he had no interest in them. Everyone learned very quickly that Pat was into guys."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

davidbix posted:

...wait, seriously?

Paraphrasing but he basically said when he was 11 a lot of the women he went to the shows with weren't much older than him and would try it on with the wrestlers and they quickly worked out Pat was gay.

A phrase he used was "how terrible that would be today" when describing it. He didn't outright say it but he basically said it in that way Dave says anything.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 4, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Quote is not edit

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Karmine posted:

It occurs to me I never figured that out either. 'Thahn'-os or 'Thane'-os.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Than-us

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hahah, I'm sure Bryan didn't mean to imply Craig had bumped Mark off the Royal Rumble show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I Before E posted:

Imagining Dave pulling an Infinity Gauntlet TPB out of the classic mess of papers and laughing

Wanna hear Dave explaining how Thanos was a tweener in War but turned full babyface for Crusade.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

I Before E posted:

"Silver Surfer botched the run-in"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"They've got this guy called Quasar, he's got the look, should be a classic babyface, but the crowd's just aren't buying it so they changed plans and he didn't get the big win over Thanos."

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Give me either Dave or Bryan and Vinny talking about dbz

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

*Bryan Slapjack voice*

Maijin Buu

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Give me either Dave or Bryan and Vinny talking about dbz

Bryan going nuts over namek only being 5 mins from exploding and it spreading out over like 10 episodes would be good listening.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’d love to listen to Bryan and Dave review comics

“So they unmask Monarch and he turns out to be....Hawk? Explain this to me”

“It is what it is”

“But Dave, HAWK? We were already told that he couldn’t become Monarch. This makes absolutely zero sense!”

“Well I know, but that’s the direction they’re going in, I guess they see him as a guy to build around”

“Look Dave, I like Hawk but this story makes absolutely no sense. This swerve makes no sense. We’re in WCW territory”

“Yeah I know. There was talk about it being Captain Atom but I guess they thought it was too obvious. I probably would have gone in that direction too but they’re desperate for babyfaces and don’t want to turn him heel”

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Vinny losing it at the Dynamite finish was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Raffles posted:

Vinny losing it at the Dynamite finish was incredible.

Just came here to post this. Major TNA PTSD :xd:

Vinny was in rare form on this show.