Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Please God let this mean we get to see Din, Boba Fett and Bo-Katan kicking rear end together. Pleeeeeease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
^^^
Oh man we might be getting Bo-Katan and crew & Boba Fett aerial dueling Dark Troopers while Fennic, Dune, and Bill Bur storm a base and Mando duels Gideon in episodes 7-8???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why the poo poo does he want Billy Tri-Blaster though? I trust that guy about as far as Grogu can throw him (without the Force).

Dude is absolutely untrustworthy, but he’s also an ex-Imperial sharpshooter and Mando realizes that he’s gonna need every dirtbag in the galaxy to go ruin the Imperial Remnant’s poo poo due to knowledge of how the Empire operates. And it’s just another excuse for Billy to remind everyone that there’s a Space Boston and a Space Boston accent. “Wicked pissah” and such.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Raged posted:

Boba was everything he should have every been in star wars.

HOW THE HELL DO THEY KEEP MAKING AMAZING EPISODES!

"How do I get moves like that?"

"Gotta get digested by a Sarlacc for a few years."

"Pass, I've got literal plot armor on anyway."

"Yeah, so did I. Beskar don't make you immortal, it just makes you a bigger target."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why the poo poo does he want Billy Tri-Blaster though? I trust that guy about as far as Grogu can throw him (without the Force).

He's ex-Imperial, which I guess makes him a prime candidate to help find Gideon?

e:f;b

Anyway this show has slipped hard into the goofy and I am here for it

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He needs to find an Imperial cruiser and Mayfeld was ex-Imperial military. Best lead available.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Bill Burr's character tested well. That's why he's back.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Whither Clancy Brown :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

“Mig Mayfeld” is an extremely Star Wars name.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Turns out Boba is surprisingly noble for a guy mostly known as a hired gun for a slug mobster

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

bbf2 posted:

Turns out Boba is surprisingly noble for a guy mostly known as a hired gun for a slug mobster

Getting swallowed by a sarlacc changes a man

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raged posted:

Boba was everything he should have every been in star wars.

HOW THE HELL DO THEY KEEP MAKING AMAZING EPISODES!

Because professionals are better at writing and directing than random doomsaying goons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bbf2 posted:

This was Mando on Mando though. That probably added a degree of "probably don't shoot this guy maybe" to the situation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So did Fennic have droid guts before she got shot (and thats how she survived), or was that a consequence of being shot?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think she got droid gutty works after dumbass in episode 5 shot her. Now she is in medical debt and will spend half her life working it off some 2020 poo poo there

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah, she works for Boba now because he didn’t have a ‘Vette to finance anymore, so he financed her robo-guts surgery, instead.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I honestly preferred Boba as being a chump, and like that he got chumped in his Clone Wars episodes too. This whole episode felt kind of fan filmy to me, which is surprising with RR directing. I didnt see much of his normal style at all, either.

I am interested in seeing who answers the call, though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Fennec: *housing 15 space ghost pepper burritos in a sitting*

Boba Fett: "Why are you doing that?"

Fennec: *Shrugs* "Cuz I can now."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I expected the boulder to accidentally wreck the Honda Civic. I guess this was slightly more dignified, however. :rip:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not a big fan of Fett suddenly being a giant badass, but the fight scenes with him whalloping poor troopers with that gaffi stick were some of the best “melee dude beats the poo poo out of everyone” scenes since Rogue One (RIP my boy Chirrut). He did look pretty goofy in the armor with the beer belly and dark robes that don’t go with that traditional Boba look at all though.

Don’t really care about the Crest since I’ve never liked that design. Some decent moments but the Dark Troopers looked pretty whatever and the giant blue beam shooting out of the lackluster “Temple” made the whole setting feel incredibly cheap. Feels like they didn’t really make great use of The Volume, especially after the last couple episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I expected the boulder to accidentally wreck the Honda Civic. I guess this was slightly more dignified, however. :rip:

It was a Honda Civic, no end for it was destined to be dignified.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CelticPredator posted:

There will be some angry rear end nerds tomorrow because they paid money for that expensive toy.

It's pretty funny how the show has kept merch makers out of the loops to keep plot details hidden, both with the lack of Baby Yoda toys and now this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Rodriguez/status/1257478516595032064

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mando had better go recruit Don Cheadle and Elliot Gould, goddamnit.

And maybe Casey Affleck or Scott Caan, too. We’ll see.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Mando had better go recruit Don Cheadle and Elliot Gould, goddamnit.

And maybe Casey Affleck or Scott Caan, too. We’ll see.

Might wanna take a rain check on Casey Affleck...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Might wanna take a rain check on Casey Affleck...

*consults the internet*

Well, poo poo.

Okay, Mando. Go recruit Julia Roberts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Love Boba's jezail musket.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I don’t know poo poo about the extended universe and have only ever seen the movies, but through cultural osmosis I’ve become aware of Asoka and Thrawn, and whenever I see Thrawn I always briefly mistake him for Gul Dukat.

I’m saying get Marc Alaimo to play Thrawn.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I agree with some of the critics in this thread, but I still thought this episode was really good. Slave 1 coming in, Boba breaking stormtroopers with his scary stick, The Child knocking people around like it's nothing... So much good stuff. Pretty much the Star Wars my buddies and I were imagining and hoping for as kids before the prequels came out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I was 100% sure this episode was gonna be a side-quest to the main plot but was pleasantly surprised they went right to Typhon.

Boba Fett finally living up to his promise of being cool after all these years is dope as hell, and him wrecking troopers with a Gaffi stick is just the coolest poo poo

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Was that the first time the show has actually shot footage outdoors instead of on that crazy holo-stage?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I woke up thinking we were gonna get just filler, but nope, no filler this time.

Must be very hard for this show to carry the franchise on its back, but dammit, it does it so well.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

VagueRant posted:

Was that the first time the show has actually shot footage outdoors instead of on that crazy holo-stage?

They have a little outdoor set in an old LA train yard that they redress a bunch if they need to be outside (the biggest use I can think of it is the establishing shots of the Tattooine ghost town that Cobb Vanth protects)

Semi-related, apparently the Obi-Wan show is going to shoot in London, and also...a soundstage in Boston?

Space Boston prevails.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Temeura Morrison is only two years older than Ming-Na, GODDAMN.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They have a little outdoor set in an old LA train yard that they redress a bunch if they need to be outside (the biggest use I can think of it is the establishing shots of the Tattooine ghost town that Cobb Vanth protects)
Oh for real? I thought EVERYTHING in that ep looked CG.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I'm also digging how Mando chuckles when Grogu react to his name, just like everyone was doing while watching the last episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Slamhound posted:

I don’t know poo poo about the extended universe and have only ever seen the movies, but through cultural osmosis I’ve become aware of Asoka and Thrawn, and whenever I see Thrawn I always briefly mistake him for Gul Dukat.

I’m saying get Marc Alaimo to play Thrawn.

Funny thing is that from what I gather, personality-wise they probably couldn't be more different, aside from being fascist overlords.

They'd be an absolutely hilarious villainous odd couple.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm down for episode 7 being "break Mig out of jail or better yet just get the intel and leave him there because Mando's savvy enough to know he can't trust him, ring up Bo-Katan, and get prepped to roll up on Gideon's ship/base to rescue Grogu" and then episode 8 being just absolutely wild Star Wars action, and then when the heroes look beat a fresh new Jedi shows up and bails them out.

I shocked myself with how happy I was to see Slave 1 show up, and then everything after that was wall to wall cool, but if Luke goddamn Skywalker shows up and goes full Jedi Master in the finale (homing in on Grogu's because of his big ol' display of reaching out through the force) I'll just fully lose my poo poo.

Hell, if I was Disney I'd be REALLY tempted to end with our heroes in peril on Gideon's ship while it's in space and just showing a lone X-wing, seeing R2 up top, and Luke's voice saying 'Alright R2, lets go meet our new friend." It just seems like a license to print money even more money from the Star Wars money printing machine if they pull a move like that.

I think to raise some stakes one or two heroes absolutely need to get killed in the Grogu rescue mission (probably stabbed with the darksaber), but hey if Cara's one of them that'll make some people on the internet plenty happy I suppose.

VagueRant posted:

Temeura Morrison is only two years older than Ming-Na, GODDAMN.

Ming-Na has A+ certified badass moves and I was quite happy to see her return as well. Robot guts was a nice Star Wars-y touch too that I didn't see coming, but makes perfect sense in a world where Luke lost a hand and just got a cybernetic one right away.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Smythe posted:

i mean, it's their script and they can do what they want, of course. but it's really dumb, also. being really dumb hasn't stopped them in the past so it doesn't bother me in this, or any case. just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

It's totally dumb. It's dumb just like how on Earth we have smart doorbells the size of a deck of playing cards, but in Star Wars the doorbells are these basketball sized eyeballs on three foot long poles. Stuff can be both dumb and cool at the same time. Like Kurt Russel in Big Trouble in Little China.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d rather they just skip straight to Bo, Fett, Din, & Co just brute-forcing their way onto the ship instead of revisiting Bill Burr’s dumb character, but at this point I’m just happy to sit back and let Favreau do his thing. Like all recent Star Wars productions, this show had plenty of leaks before this season but they’ve managed to keep almost everything about the final couple episodes a total secret. We didn’t even get leaks about a Slave I set being built until two or three days ago. There’s actually more info out there about season 3 than the finale of this season, so I genuinely have no idea how it’ll turn out and it’s kind of fascinating. I really thought Tython would be last location we see all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VagueRant posted:

Some of the Seven Samurai episode last season was done on location (or at least outside) as was some of s1e2.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 4, 2020