Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been trying to play this on PC and I'm on chapter 9 (I think) where you first take the blood elevator tube... thing.

Twice now, right after using it, my PC hard crashes. Not CTD, but completely shuts down.

Anyone else experience this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
No. DMC5 is a a really solid game, it's likely a your system problem and not a game problem.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Been trying to play this on PC and I'm on chapter 9 (I think) where you first take the blood elevator tube... thing.

Twice now, right after using it, my PC hard crashes. Not CTD, but completely shuts down.

Anyone else experience this?

Tried running the verify game files thing in Steam?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The clowning with Vergil on youtube begins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsC3Mx7mo0

Ok ok cool, they did do a lot more with Vergil than what was moddable in the original release.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So is there no Vergil fight against Nero in the special edition/DLC? Not even in bloody palace?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Big Scary Owl posted:

So is there no Vergil fight against Nero in the special edition/DLC? Not even in bloody palace?

Unfortunately, you're correct. It's DSD, Balrog, and E+I Dante and then Cerberus, DSD, Balrog, E+I, Kalina Ann 2, and SIN DT Dante. I think.

Never leave ray tracing and high framerate mode selected at the same time on PS5. No other variables changed when I broke my game so hard that the PS5 turned off completely. It corrupted my save. I was 2/3 done with the platinum trophy. I have to start over. I'd be furious if this weren't my favorite video game lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m surprised it even lets you have both of them turned on at once

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lol play has no limits

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Augus posted:

I’m surprised it even lets you have both of them turned on at once

I am, too. I figured high framerate being turned on would disable ray tracing, but I didn't actually read the menu when I moved things. It seems to do a check during the saving process that leads to save file corruption if both are toggled on. I would have noticed if I had taken my ADHD meds that day. :negative:

Marx Was A Lib posted:

lol play has no limits

Yeah. Your move, Sony. :smug:

J2DK fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 24, 2020

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Miles Morales Spider-Man game is the same, either you can turn on all the pretty graphics and get 30 FPS or you just playing 60 FPS normal rear end looking PS4 game. No limits*

*Limits will probably be sorted out 1-2 years as devs figure out how the PS5 works.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't think Miles Morales lets you accidentally leave both options toggled on at once and make your PS5 melt though.

I doubt we're gonna see many games that can have smooth 60 fps AND ray-tracing AND 4k all enabled at once. The new consoles may be powerful but ray-tracing is a huge performance hog. Personally I'm cool with Quality Mode vs Performance Mode being the norm for games this gen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I wish I knew what ray tracing even is

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Math.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Augus posted:

I don't think Miles Morales lets you accidentally leave both options toggled on at once and make your PS5 melt though.

I doubt we're gonna see many games that can have smooth 60 fps AND ray-tracing AND 4k all enabled at once. The new consoles may be powerful but ray-tracing is a huge performance hog. Personally I'm cool with Quality Mode vs Performance Mode being the norm for games this gen.

I really should have double checked, but it is mad weird that Capcom included warnings while allowing us to leave the menu with both toggled on.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The simple version that I've seen is light reflection with a poo poo ton of extra calculations in the background for more "realistic" lighting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

lighting in video games is usually heavily simplified in order to make the game run properly.
ray-tracing is just when the path of light is drawn through each pixel so it can do more realistic shadows, reflections, and the effect of light bouncing off objects. it's a lot more things to calculate at once so it takes a lot of power
it's how Pixar movies have done their lighting for years but now computers are stronger so it can be in video games too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ray Tracing is absolutely one of those things where I'm like "oh huh that's kinda neat" if I notice it but it absolutely 100% is not worth any loss in gameplay quality aside from maybe like in a RPG.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

I'm praying for 60fps performance mode for everything.

ImpAtom posted:

Ray Tracing is absolutely one of those things where I'm like "oh huh that's kinda neat" if I notice it but it absolutely 100% is not worth any loss in gameplay quality aside from maybe like in a RPG.

:same:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd rank ray-tracing higher in noticability than that, but only just

(e) still playing this, just real sporadically so I'm still playing as Nero. Is there any rhyme or reason to buster loadouts or can I just slot six of the rocket arms and go hootin and hollerin

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Ciaphas posted:

(e) still playing this, just real sporadically so I'm still playing as Nero. Is there any rhyme or reason to buster loadouts or can I just slot six of the rocket arms and go hootin and hollerin

Just throw on whatever you like! If you play through higher difficulties you might start noticing certain breakers are great against certain enemies (like the Buster breaker can be used to insta-kill a Fury), but for now just have fun.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Ciaphas posted:

Like the poster above, it's really noticeable in higher difficulty levels where the enemies are remixed.

My favorites are Gerbera/Gerbera-01 or whatever, Punchline, Ragtime, and Buster arm.

Gerbera is good for parrying/interrupting. It gives you a clumsy air dash that's invincible until the very end. The dash even works on the ground. Gerbera-01 (the silver and red one) gives the dash, but a crowd control shockwave. Their air overcharge special is really safe and fast damage, too.

Ragtime -> Buster is a great set up for boss fights or Furies. Overcharge Ragtime then overcharge buster before time restarts completely neutralizes Furies. I tend to bring Gerbera or punchline first, Ragtime second, buster arm third, and another Gerbera in 4th or 8th so I can always fall back on that janky, invincible air dash.

Blowing through 6 to 8 devil breakers in a boss fight is pretty drat fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey folks, is there any reason to wait to pick this up, like a stability patch for PS5 or something? I'm about to finish up all of my PS5 launch games and DMCV was one of my fave PS4 titles.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've gotten an error message twice that said something went wrong, but I was able to go back into the game and continue like nothing happened. Unless you're super paranoid about getting a distraction during gameplay, I'd say it's fine to just start playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYXqfzEn1JU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so I’ve started up my Vergil playthrough and on Demon Hunter with zero moves or upgrades I’m just S-Ranking everything out of the box. His move set is so goddam streamlined and crisp I can’t stand it, the concentration meter and his SIN DT and Doppleganger all flow so well and I’m really taking the time to try and build my own combos and learn how to take my time instead of just spamming inputs...

Because for the first time in my 27 years of playing video games... my hand cramped. I was playing 2-3 missions and would get to the boss fights and I guess my turbo ghost trick sword spam strategy was just too much for my feeble human hands and my thumb started seizing up lol! Never had that happen to me before! I wanna be a true style Vergil master, I gotta learn to take my time!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Vergil is and always has been laughably busted. It's one of the few instances in video games where you unlock the final boss and he is actually more powerful than when you fight him in the game.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Forgive me if this has already turned up in the thread, it made me chuckle and just proves that DMC fans are the best kind of weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3jR0CL6Y8w

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh that reminds me, the canon DMC pizza recipe complete with commentary by the Jp Dante VA!

https://www.siliconera.com/deliver-a-ssstylish-devil-may-cry-pizza-with-this-recipe/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gang I need help! Is there anyway for Vergil to beat SM07? To kill the Scissor demon with one bullet? I can’t see how, the other SMS have been effortless so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Gang I need help! Is there anyway for Vergil to beat SM07? To kill the Scissor demon with one bullet? I can’t see how, the other SMS have been effortless so far.

Why wouldn't Vergil be able to do it exactly the same way as everyone else?
Clash using any melee attack and then shoot a summon sword at it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

Why wouldn't Vergil be able to do it exactly the same way as everyone else?
Clash using any melee attack and then shoot a summon sword at it.
Oh I guess my swords were hitting its cloak or something instead of its face. I’ll try again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh I guess my swords were hitting its cloak or something instead of its face. I’ll try again.

Just so you know, I haven't actually played SE yet, so I'm just speculating.

Maybe you can try doing the move where he shoots like 10 summon swords in a burst.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think I beat it by doing the trick from DMC1 where you walk forward until the gun is literally clipping into their face before you fire a full charged shot. Vergil can’t do that so I don’t think I really tried more than like 3-4 times.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

vergil's judgement cuts are extremely good at breaking their scissors so you can get the instant kill on them

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RKJWxZztaI

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok i've tried every move in the game, I cannot beat Secret Mission 7 or 12 as Vergil, they seem mechanically impossible. So between those 2 missions, one secret orb fragment in M16 that you seemingly must have Gerbera to reach, and the Purple Orb in M9 you get as V, Vergil can get every other collectible in the game.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so I’ve started up my Vergil playthrough and on Demon Hunter with zero moves or upgrades I’m just S-Ranking everything out of the box. His move set is so goddam streamlined and crisp I can’t stand it, the concentration meter and his SIN DT and Doppleganger all flow so well and I’m really taking the time to try and build my own combos and learn how to take my time instead of just spamming inputs...

Because for the first time in my 27 years of playing video games... my hand cramped. I was playing 2-3 missions and would get to the boss fights and I guess my turbo ghost trick sword spam strategy was just too much for my feeble human hands and my thumb started seizing up lol! Never had that happen to me before! I wanna be a true style Vergil master, I gotta learn to take my time!

They are just finding more and more hilarious ways to escalate Vergil's traditional overpowered status. You can pop into SDT like Dante's SSSS for free and no style requirement. He gets DMC3 aerial rave at stylish meter S and up. He can use SDT to do Hell on Earth, Judgment Cut end, Hell on Earth, Full Stinger or whatever before reverting. You can do this, then refill your SDT and do it all again within seconds. It's hard to resist melting bosses with this. Bonus for mashing mirage swords and wearing spiral swords. Then there's World of V when you're out of DT.

poo poo, I just found out that using SDT while Doppleganger is out only consumes SDT. You can actually build normal DT while Doppleganger is out while in SDT.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok i've tried every move in the game, I cannot beat Secret Mission 7 or 12 as Vergil, they seem mechanically impossible. So between those 2 missions, one secret orb fragment in M16 that you seemingly must have Gerbera to reach, and the Purple Orb in M9 you get as V, Vergil can get every other collectible in the game.

I got all collectibles and secret missions with Vergil. The biggest pain in the rear end is navigating the Punchline obstacle course with mirage blades and air trick.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How do you make extra red orbs with Vergil for SM 12? And what did you use to one shot the scissor witch? I can’t find a video for it online anywhere!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
If I have any complaints about Vergil its that, like in DMC4SE, Yamato feels a little too good. I get that JCs are meant as a core playstyle mechanic but I do miss the more limited movesets of DMC3; every weapon had a specific purpose and weakness. I can understand making Yamato an all purpose tool like Rebellion/Sparda/DSD tho.

This doesn't mean its not fun as all hell, just a super minor personal nitpick.

Super glad I can be a little motivated on command, too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alkarl posted:

If I have any complaints about Vergil its that, like in DMC4SE, Yamato feels a little too good. I get that JCs are meant as a core playstyle mechanic but I do miss the more limited movesets of DMC3; every weapon had a specific purpose and weakness. I can understand making Yamato an all purpose tool like Rebellion/Sparda/DSD tho.

This doesn't mean its not fun as all hell, just a super minor personal nitpick.

Super glad I can be a little motivated on command, too.

DMC5 definitely suffers from Too Many Buttons, it's what makes it a less enjoyable experience than DMC3 for me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s an achievement for beating Dante only using Yamato, but TBQH, my Vergil playthrough was constantly plagued by just accidentally swapping weapons all the time the triggers are very sensitive.