Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Toothsome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my ketchup story is that dan jurafsky wrote a book about food linguistics poo poo and then he proceeded to do a spiel about it about the etymology of ketchup (he argues from cantonese ke jiap) to literally every seminar he could at school which ended up being a truly dizzying number of seminars, and i was attending like a third of them.

he hijacked the artificial intelligence seminar that he got invited to cuz hes a computational linguist w ketchup. convex optimization on weirdo spaces, 45 min spiel about ketchup, then reinforcement learning dealios that go real fast, that was the surrounding schedule

As an Australian that has spent time in Canada I can say that 'ketchup' is one of the most useful linguistic creations North Americans have popularised. Right beside 'gas station'.

....but that guy is taking academia for a trip.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jurafsky earned tenure decades ago this is what you can do w it

also all his poo poo and discoveries and stuff have been mostly brutally obsoleted by the deep learning poo poo so lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Well, they nailed the inside part of the cookie.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

You can buy those pre-cut like that in stores here for making smörgåstårta.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teen witch posted:

Cool concept but the naming is straight up Apple Cabin Farms

I've only had porcupine meatballs that involved spaghetti run through the meatballs - never heard of it with rice.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Buttchocks posted:

Well, they nailed the inside part of the cookie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3J9fRm1VA

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

His Divine Shadow posted:

smörgåstårta.

This will blow some American minds.

Strawberries are unorthodox, but there are no smörgåstårta rules.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

axolotl farmer posted:

No smörgåstårta rules and all that, but the combo of strawberries and black olives is really bonkers.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

axolotl farmer posted:

<3 <3 The best cake tbh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
tiny pastries go with everything :confused:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Is it just a Swedish antipasto?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a main usually

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

teen witch posted:

Cool concept but the naming is straight up Apple Cabin Farms

I had to read this 3 times to realize that a sea-soning wasn't some kind of weird 50s fishstick.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n_g0tYPAJQ

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Filipino KFC lookin' weak

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Filipino KFC lookin' weak

my god all ove this is horrible

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Is it just a Swedish antipasto?

It's a layered cake with bread, usually mayo and egg based fillings and topped with coldcuts, vegetables and small pastries.

Something that you have when your uncle turns 75, and then again when he dies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

It's a layered cake with bread, usually mayo and egg based fillings and topped with coldcuts, vegetables and small pastries.

Something that you have when your uncle turns 75, and then again when he dies.

And the Danes have a deconstructed version called smørrebrød.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

im all for fruits and contrasting textures in salads but lol

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spankmeister posted:

:rolleyes:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

In the fine tradition of Nordics taking ubiquitous, boring and absolutely ordinary foods and pretending they are the ones who invented them or or even the only ones who know about them - this is also more commonly known as "bread with stuff on it"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

In the fine tradition of Nordics taking ubiquitous, boring and absolutely ordinary foods and pretending they are the ones who invented them or or even the only ones who know about them - this is also more commonly known as "bread with stuff on it"

please stop co-opting British food tradition

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

please stop co-opting British food tradition

The Nordics are amateurs at this! We also have the proud traditions of...
Bread with stuff in it (we named it so obviously we invented it)
Bread with toasted bread in it
Bread pudding
Bread sauce

The Italians beat us to bread salad, but salad is a very un-British concept anyway.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think you’ll find that the Australians ran with the concept of a bread based cuisine and elevated it. To whit:
Toasted white bread with butter and Vegemite
Avo toast, toasted white sourdough with smashed avocado
The Sausage Sizzle, a sausage in a slice of white bread with fried onions. The exact placement of said onions is a matter of National debate.
Fairy Bread, a buttered slice of white bread with sprinkles on it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm getting the impression you are trying to goad a German into gatekeeping bread. Because that's how you goad a German into gatekeeping bread.

White "bread" is known as "toast" over here, it doesn't deserve to be called "bread". That's reserved for Real Bread. :mad:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Talking about bread will also goad finns into gatekeeping it while ranting about 100% ruisleipä sourdough. The less rye a bread has, the less it's bread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What, "toast" is used for something other than "bread which has been toasted"?

Can German toast be made of things other than bread??

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'd like to know more about bread with toasted bread in it.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Helith posted:

I think you’ll find that the Australians ran with the concept of a bread based cuisine and elevated it. To whit:
Toasted white bread with butter and Vegemite
Avo toast, toasted white sourdough with smashed avocado
The Sausage Sizzle, a sausage in a slice of white bread with fried onions. The exact placement of said onions is a matter of National debate.
Fairy Bread, a buttered slice of white bread with sprinkles on it.

Don't forget those bread buns covered in icing and sometimes coconut sold as cakes at school tuckshops

And jaffles! Jaffles are Australian af, other countries have toasted sandwiches but the jaffle is Aussie af

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Data Graham posted:

What, "toast" is used for something other than "bread which has been toasted"?

Can German toast be made of things other than bread??

The 1995 edition of the Leitsätze für Brot und Kleingebäck defines Toastbrot as bread made of at least 90% wheat flour. This form of bread (typically white bread with no or very thin crust) is made only to be toasted; it is not worthy of being considered Real Bread like you'd find in a bakery. You'll find it in a supermarket shelf next to the other substandard prepackaged (and pre-sliced – disgusting) bread.

You wouldn't toast a 1000 corn bread unless it has gotten stale. It's just unnatural to do that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gschmidl posted:

I'd like to know more about bread with toasted bread in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

:what:

e: Oh, United Kingdom. That explains it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...I take it back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The toast sandwich is not something anyone eats here except for possibly extremely desperate poor people, so I guess maybe it's getting a comeback soon.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Idk what the boiled flour is if not the Saddest Bread, but at least in the toast water recipe it says it's for treating diarrhea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm kind of curious what exactly can be accomplished from boiling a cheesecloth full of wet flour for ten goddamn hours that couldn't be accomplished in, say, eight hours. Or even six.