Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Groovebox is a fun little app although most of the synth knobs require IAP (wait for a sale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
What's a good iPad app that does sampling?
Something like how people use a sp404 or MPC to chop samples and make songs. I know there's a MPC app that even has a virtual turntable but I would like to know more

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Chenghiz posted:

Maybe check out the ALM mum m8. There’s also a smaller version of the Jove filter (uJove of course) if you value HP over ergonomics.

I love the mum m8 but I'd definitely consider it a 'flavor' filter, not one to rely on for all or even most LP duties. There's also funky stepping and clock noise "issues" that aren't, just the nature of the thing, but if one didn't know about them ahead of time~
All love for Jove though, I've got the thicc original and have, to this point, staved off desires for the slimline version but, would. Fantastic filter. You lose the second input and CV in on the slim version, these do matter IMO if you can spare the space, but it's otherwise the same.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

havelock posted:

Base iPad will be just fine. I just started with this stuff a few months back.
Aum ties everything together
Patterning has a few version and does fun drums
Borderlands is granular and ambient and pretty
Tardigrain is granular and melodic
Fugue machine and xnthesizr are good sequencers
Auxy pro is self contained and with the free version you can knock out fun multi track things quickly

Sound wise I haven't really paid for much yet.

Thanks. So with the base ipad, which I believe has the lightning port, can I connect a MIDI controller through some kind of connector that gives me a USB-A port, and then do I just use the headphone jack to get around out of the ipad and into my audio interface/sampler/Elektron box/etc?

Ideally, for whatever kind did ipad I get I'd like to be able to connect my Keystep to it, and then route sound out of it into like interface or Digitone, or something like that. I presume with the base ipad to need some kind of lightning to USB adapter.

And I guess with an ipad Air you'd need some kind of USB-C hub that give you both usb-A and an audio jack?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

floatman posted:

Something like how people use a sp404 or MPC to chop samples and make songs. I know there's a MPC app that even has a virtual turntable but I would like to know more

Andrew Huang's new app Flip just came out today and it seems like it's pretty nice for this. I'm still kinda learning the interface, but in general it seems fairly well designed and manages to be feature-rich while still maintaining a fairly simple interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hLvhtnK4s

Samplr is a very different beast but quite cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odz3rIfl0qM

Werkbench is a very weird take on live sample-based beatmaking but it's fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdQU01A6s0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjVWy-pMUQ

The nice thing about using iPad apps for this stuff is most of them are like 5-10 bucks so it's not a huge investment to try a new one out and see if it clicks with you.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 4, 2020

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

floatman posted:

There's also Koala, which is a conscious nod towards the SP404 with similar effects.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. So with the base ipad, which I believe has the lightning port, can I connect a MIDI controller through some kind of connector that gives me a USB-A port, and then do I just use the headphone jack to get around out of the ipad and into my audio interface/sampler/Elektron box/etc?

Ideally, for whatever kind did ipad I get I'd like to be able to connect my Keystep to it, and then route sound out of it into like interface or Digitone, or something like that. I presume with the base ipad to need some kind of lightning to USB adapter.

And I guess with an ipad Air you'd need some kind of USB-C hub that give you both usb-A and an audio jack?

Though I haven't personally bought anything yet, the basic answer is 'yes'. You buy the lightning camera connection kit from apple which gives you a usb port. Depending on your power requirements (and whether your controller does midi over usb or through the big plug) you just plug the controller into that usb port, or into a powered usb hub. You could probably just use a stereo cable into the headphone port to get audio out but I'm not sure how high quality that would be.

Since you want an audio out, too, the normal thing is to get a powered usb hub, go ipad -> camera connection kit -> usb hub, and then plug a class compliant usb interface into the hub too. Then you plug your keystep into the interface and just use an audio output from the interface to go wherever else you want. From what I've read, the new Motu M2 is a great minimalist interface that should work.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is anyone using their iPad as a controller for their racks? It's always a mess for me and usually involves a bunch of adapters and an old Doepfer 190-4.

Red Means Recording showed a firmware updated Genki Wavefront which sends MIDI via bluetooth. You get 5 outs.
There's also the Quicco Sound bluetooth module with a version that does 6 outs and 2 ins for CLK and RST.

Of course, these will have latency issues. When I use bluetooth headphones to noodle around with it always drives me bonkers.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I like Drambo a lot, for ipad sampling, it's basically an Elektron box but in app form with a sort of easy to use modular interface for making synths or whatever. Each module is like, fm oscillator/saw/etc. then amp envelope, lfo, filter, effects and you just hold down a knob to make it modulate something else, then a knob appears next to that one. It also has parameter locks that work exactly like Elektron boxes do, and theyre going to release auv3 support soon.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Imhotep posted:

I like Drambo a lot, for ipad sampling, it's basically an Elektron box but in app form with a sort of easy to use modular interface for making synths or whatever. Each module is like, fm oscillator/saw/etc. then amp envelope, lfo, filter, effects and you just hold down a knob to make it modulate something else, then a knob appears next to that one. It also has parameter locks that work exactly like Elektron boxes do, and theyre going to release auv3 support soon.

That app looks really cool. Does auv3 support mean the app will work with Audiobus?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Selling stuffs to fund a deluge:

All prices shipped conus:
Digitakt $645
Subharmonicon $675
Neutron $250
Circuit $300

Shoot me a pm if interested

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

havelock posted:

Though I haven't personally bought anything yet, the basic answer is 'yes'. You buy the lightning camera connection kit from apple which gives you a usb port. Depending on your power requirements (and whether your controller does midi over usb or through the big plug) you just plug the controller into that usb port, or into a powered usb hub. You could probably just use a stereo cable into the headphone port to get audio out but I'm not sure how high quality that would be.

Since you want an audio out, too, the normal thing is to get a powered usb hub, go ipad -> camera connection kit -> usb hub, and then plug a class compliant usb interface into the hub too. Then you plug your keystep into the interface and just use an audio output from the interface to go wherever else you want. From what I've read, the new Motu M2 is a great minimalist interface that should work.

This is arguably a reason at this point to get something like an Air or Pro if you think you’re going to use an iPad super seriously

Switching from lightning to USB-C is worth it IMO

But it’s also really cool and a bit of a mindfuck to go from my base model iPad to my 12 channel mixer via camera connection dongle and USB and get all send and return channels all just working.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

McCoy Pauley posted:

That app looks really cool. Does auv3 support mean the app will work with Audiobus?

Oh sorry I thought I replied. I’m not sure, but I use AUM and I assume you mean does it show up as an AU in audio bus, which I assume would be yes since it does in AUM, as both a MIDI and instrument AU. The midi sequencer is actually super useful in AUM, and can do some cool probability based stuff like retriggering notes, jumping to other spots in the sequence, transposing, etc.

What I should have said was that it will support opening AUs and inter app audio in drambo itself as instruments and effects to use, im pretty sure. Also if you do get it, or even if you don’t, I recommend patchstorage.com to find some neat instruments people have made, someone made like a sort of octatrack emulator in it, with functioning scenes and whatnot, which makes sense since the layout it already similar and it has a cross fader which I assumed already did basically the same thing as the octatrack’s. But also emulations of sh101s, etc. so it’s a good resource for learning too.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Dumb question, but it's better than wasting any more money. I have a MicroKorg (not a waste of money), and I bought a Pyle PDMIC59 mic for it. It should work when I plug it directly into the MK, correct?

I don't get any sound from the mic. I have tried with the (unlabeled) on/off switch in both positions; nothing. I tested the line in on the MK and that works. Should I try my luck with a replacement, or just get a refund and shovel out more cash for a SM57 or 58? I basically want to use it for discord (my Logitech headset finally died) and making robot noises.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I love to complain about lightning ports. I like to use my laptops like laptops, without getting into the hubs and crazy wire adapters more than as needed.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Mad Dragon posted:

Dumb question, but it's better than wasting any more money. I have a MicroKorg (not a waste of money), and I bought a Pyle PDMIC59 mic for it. It should work when I plug it directly into the MK, correct?

I don't get any sound from the mic. I have tried with the (unlabeled) on/off switch in both positions; nothing. I tested the line in on the MK and that works. Should I try my luck with a replacement, or just get a refund and shovel out more cash for a SM57 or 58? I basically want to use it for discord (my Logitech headset finally died) and making robot noises.

Ok, regarding sure SM57, it has very low gain. If you buy it, you'll need an interface with input level settings to make it hotter. For discord voice chatting, personally I'd get some else. you'll also need the Sure is very close to your mouth, if the gain is not proper.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Microkorg’s default mic is one of those tiny ones like on a headset, you can get the oem one for $30 and it fits into the slot on the back

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I kind of want a gooseneck for my VT-4. That would work right? Don't make fun of me for buying a VT-4

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Chenghiz posted:

Maybe check out the ALM mum m8. There’s also a smaller version of the Jove filter (uJove of course) if you value HP over ergonomics.

Startyde posted:

I love the mum m8 but I'd definitely consider it a 'flavor' filter, not one to rely on for all or even most LP duties. There's also funky stepping and clock noise "issues" that aren't, just the nature of the thing, but if one didn't know about them ahead of time~
All love for Jove though, I've got the thicc original and have, to this point, staved off desires for the slimline version but, would. Fantastic filter. You lose the second input and CV in on the slim version, these do matter IMO if you can spare the space, but it's otherwise the same.

Thanks guys! I think I will try and get the jove. I love the sound of it in demos, I'll just have to have a think about the features vs size issue. I'm fairly resigned to the fact that I'll have to buy a second or bigger case in the new year anyway. I really like the alm stuff but yeah, i don't think it would work well as a primary filter in a smaller system - I would like to add an alm 'voice' at some point with the mum m8 and the mco. It seems like it would work great on drums too but for now i'm using external drum machines.

I'm learning how to use ornament and crime at the moment, really enjoyed the euclidean trigger sequencer combined with a quantised shift register in a patch I made this arvo:

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/eucshiftfst/s-5xptZQB2l4M

Sequencing is all o&c clocked by Pam's, the filtered voice is the neutron and the more metallic sound is the verbos oscillator.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I used to like Ambient music, especially a few albums by Moby, that one Aphex Twin album, Muslimgauze, Eno, Merzbow, and et cetera. BUT, the age of youtubers has turned Ambient into a phrase meaning "I have no talent but must buy gear"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdyG9VhVJZ8
Yes I'm jealous but why would you need $10,000 of gear plus just to make (generic) ambient sounds?

Edit: With regards to taste, it's just not my thing. I don't mean to be entirely disrespectful as it is a passion pursuit.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
infinite monkey theorem just with synths

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Cheese Thief posted:

I used to like Ambient music, especially a few albums by Moby, that one Aphex Twin album, Muslimgauze, Eno, Merzbow, and et cetera. BUT, the age of youtubers has turned Ambient into a phrase meaning "I have no talent but must buy gear"

Yes I'm jealous but why would you need $10,000 of gear plus just to make (generic) ambient sounds?

Edit: With regards to taste, it's just not my thing. I don't mean to be entirely disrespectful as it is a passion pursuit.

tbf, I think eventide did that. generic ambient has been farts through a infinite tail nonlinear reverb longer than youtube has been around :v:

Clavavisage posted:

infinite monkey theorem just with synths

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
People gotta just go back and listen to Eno and Byrne and Glass and Stockhausen and Ono and Ciani a bunch and relearn how to do this poo poo right

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Cheese Thief posted:

Something like this doesn't seem particularly inspired, kind of like a jam that didn't particularly need to posted/shared (I guess unless this person felt very strongly about it for some reason?), but I think what it suffers most is lack of context. Stuff like this kinda just is what it is, and isn't very interesting if it's not soundtracking something, or part of a larger work that gives it some context, it doesn't really generate it's own expectations, narrative, or full fleshed out experience. I think a lot of synth social media suffers from this and while I think it's important to hold a "to each their own" attitude with art, it's hard not to feel frustrated that there's a lot of uninspired stuff clogging the pursuit, people playing into the stereotype of spending lots of money to make uninspired beep boops. It's kind of a shamelessly privileged hobby at that point, and I'm saying that as someone who has spent tons on gear and has plenty of privilege. I think that's why it hurts to watch people do not attempt to do something interesting.
Bottom line, I think synth culture right now is very gear obsessed and lacks a wider cultural context to really launch into something genuinely expressive, although it totally has that potential and some people are doing genuinely interesting stuff. I will also say on the other hand is that it's been a massive shift over the past few years, I'm sure there are people learning and growing who in a few years will make something really cool. I feel like even some things that I thought were really silly, like vaporwave, ended up producing at least a few gems, maybe lovely youtube synth nerd culture will eventually do something like that.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Cheese Thief posted:

Yep YouTube modular ambient is definitely something different that shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Eno et al. I've heard it referred to as 'houseplant ambient' because of the set dressing and, I assume, because it generates the same level of interest.

Coming at modular synthesis from a musical background, with a grasp on theory and a preexisting understanding of synthesis, I find it pretty amazing how many people spend thousands of dollars on something and yet can't even be bothered learning how to use it or read the manual. They just see the videos with all the blinking lights and see it as another way to conspicuously consoooom.

field balm fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 7, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
There is an unending flow of people coming to muffwigler to ask about their planned modular which is nothing but mutable modules. They say "I want to make generative ambient" then post videos they like for inspiration and it's always a variation of "modular by the window with a potted succulent and designer furnitures".

At first it made my eyes roll but then I realized it's the golden age of modular and more customers is good, and also that for each one of them there is also a guy doing inspired and inspiring things. Plus if these people have fun doing generative ambient and recording aesthetical videos then more power to them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

There is an unending flow of people coming to muffwigler to ask about their planned modular which is nothing but mutable modules. They say "I want to make generative ambient" then post videos they like for inspiration and it's always a variation of "modular by the window with a potted succulent and designer furnitures".

At first it made my eyes roll but then I realized it's the golden age of modular and more customers is good, and also that for each one of them there is also a guy doing inspired and inspiring things. Plus if these people have fun doing generative ambient and recording aesthetical videos then more power to them.

https://youtu.be/EdmL835q9To

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Cheese Thief posted:

To be fair to this guy, I've been subbed to him for a bit because there's been some good ones even though there's been a few stinkers

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
The best dad cheesin' in the synth zone worth watching is Mike Dean

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I think if the video lists the gear used in the title, and it’s not explicitly a gear demo or tutorial, then it’s probably going to be bad

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

speaking as someone who has put in a lot of time and energy composing, arranging, and mixing my own songs for albums spanning a few genres and has now settled into streaming hours of the most mundane and tedious parts of making music (screwing racks, routing cables, exploring “tone”) and shitposting every thought on it on t/f/ig, i believe that it truly does not matter :matters:

remember james blake and burial and other amazing names that have disappeared behind 100gecs and megan thee stallion and whoever? that’s boomer poo poo, culturally irrelevant now. doesn’t matter how good your product is, it disappears into the ether. in 2020, music is no longer a communal pastime or even a consumable product, it is content taking up bandwidth and server space, there is no use in trying :justpost:

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Possibly dumb question about midi:
I'm working on getting my iPad and pc integrated. I'll have an audio interface for each (each with midi in/out) ports. I want to be able to run a sequencer on either the iPad or the pc at various points. I also will have a midi controller that I want to use to control both iPad and pc things. It has 5 pin midi ports. For extra credit I'd like to get my op1 to be able to receive midi too (via USB).

I want a big unified midi soup (ideally with physical cables) so I can pick and choose per project. Does that even make sense?

I'm missing the mental model for midi basically. For devices with both midi in and out, is Out the union of everything sent In and everything the device generates or just what it generates? Do audio interfaces do this differently by default? If my computer has the op1 plugged in via USB, can the op1 see whatever midi messages arrive on the midi in of the pc audio interface?

Will this work?
controller -> iPad interface in
IPad interface out -> pc interface in
Pc interface out -> iPad interface in?

And then plug the op1 via USB into either the pc or the powered hub the iPad and iPad interface are connected to?

I'm haven't bought the second interface yet but as I'm contemplating something expensive to get enough i/o I'd love to avoid having to buy another box just to route the midi around.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Concatenation posted:

I think if the video lists the gear used in the title, and it’s not explicitly a gear demo or tutorial, then it’s probably going to be bad

I’ve done that to trick people to search and click on my videos. It works in that regard but your statement still stands.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Mutable should really sell a semimodular that's just rings clouds and a turing machine or something lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Growing up, aside from the in-school music I got to take guitar lessons and a played a little bit of piano. That faded more for AV/amateur television/electronics. Music left my life except as a listener for a long time until maybe 18 months ago when I got the itch to do another electronics project that "had to make sound". After that I found MFOS and kind of fell into modular DIY. I know I'm a hack and a fraud musically but the interest started and mainly lies with what makes this all work. Seeing stuff like the DICKSYNTH on the last page motivates me to think about what could possibly be "new" for DIY, some dumb idea that only one of ever gets made but is enjoyed immensely.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

EBB posted:

Growing up, aside from the in-school music I got to take guitar lessons and a played a little bit of piano. That faded more for AV/amateur television/electronics. Music left my life except as a listener for a long time until maybe 18 months ago when I got the itch to do another electronics project that "had to make sound". After that I found MFOS and kind of fell into modular DIY. I know I'm a hack and a fraud musically but the interest started and mainly lies with what makes this all work. Seeing stuff like the DICKSYNTH on the last page motivates me to think about what could possibly be "new" for DIY, some dumb idea that only one of ever gets made but is enjoyed immensely.

And that's more interesting and respectable than what a lot of synth culture aims for. There's this weird thing with synths that they can be very pretentious and high brow, or they can be silly and indulgent. Both of these extremes have good and bad, and a lot of current synth culture somehow manages to do both extremes poorly. I think this is mostly cultural growing pains, it's a new way (for most people) of approaching music at a time of general cultural aimlessness, there's not much to guide it.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Any recommendations on two tiered synth stands? Need to hold a moog voyager XL (60 lbs) and a Nord Lead 4 (12 lbs) Won’t be gigging with it, purely home studio use.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

havelock posted:

Possibly dumb question about midi...

So midi can work kind of like a daisy chain of in/out/thru links, where your controllers out can go to the in of a device, but then that input is passed to the thru which you can chain to the in of a second device. The out of the first device will only send midi generated by that device, not generated by your controller as far as I know. Some devices don't have a thru port. So the interfaces that have multiple midi outs become useful. There are also midi devices that can take one midi in and send out to many "thru" type ports, useful if you have a bunch of hardware that you want to control from one central place.

I tried drawing your plan to help me think it through. I think if you do it like this, you don't have direct control of any VST on your PC via your controller, so it might be better to hook controller to PC then get the "thru" from that into the iPad. You usually see USB midi interfaces with 1x1 or 2x2 listed for the number of in/out ports they have so you'll need 2 ins. The other thing is there's no guarantee that anything you plug into your iPad will work, maybe if it's USB class compliant and you have the camera connector with additional power plugged in it will help. Some of my keyboards work directly, my old Roland 2x2 midi interface works but some things don't work and you get an error message about power or about compatibility. I remember another goon was unable to get their controller to work with their iPad but that was USB directly, not midi via USB interface. Anyway I guess what I'm saying is what you're trying to do is possible, it might even work, but it might not be the most useful layout - pretty trivial to change the order you plug things in though. None of this takes into account getting audio off your iPad. It really starts to click once you get hands on experience anyway. A big thing to remember is that devices will send on a channel, other devices will listen on a channel, and even if you've plugged all the cables in right nothing will happen unless the messages are on the correct channel and the device knows to listen.

Just reread your post and I see you were thinking about doing stuff via a USB hub, much like midi, USB is kind of one way. If you plug your iPad and your pc into a USB hub they won't necessarily see each other how you want them to since they're both host devices if that makes sense? The iPad would go into "device" mode and just appear as a storage device to the PC. You're better off handling that via midi somehow. As for the OP1 I don't know much about them at all so I can't say whether you can just plug it into the PC and have it listen for USB midi or if it too will just appear as a storage device.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 8, 2020

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
TBH I think it’s a bit weird to scrutinize it very closely what random people do with their synths. Or I don’t think folks who play the guitar for fun get quite the same level of judgement. Is the difference that guitarists’ hobby is marginally cheaper so the expectations are different? It’s fun to make sounds of varying quality with synths and I don’t want to ruin it by getting too serious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All the guitar video titles name the song and all the synth video titles list the equipment, I'd say that definitely shows a difference in what kind of content is being advertised and to whom.