Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I bought an Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 for use with my PC (I do not own an Xbox and do not plan to buy one).

I liked the idea of having the paddles on the back - four extra buttons! Yay!

But today, trying it for the first time, I was disappointed to find out that the paddles *cannot* be mapped to anything except other Xbox controller buttons. The paddles are not four additional buttons, but rather four opportunities to repeat other buttons on the same controller.

So, I can map them to A, B, X, Y, RB, LB, etc., but cannot map them to keyboard keys or simply use them as unique buttons (say, C, D, W, and Z).

This sucks.

Hunting for ways to map those buttons to anything besides other buttons on the controller, all I've found is reWASD. It allows the paddles to be mapped to things like keyboard keys and mouse buttons, which would resolve my issue.

Is that my only option? I'm not opposed to paying for reWASD to resolve this issue, I'm just surprised it's an issue at all. Has anyone else resolved this problem? How?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's an Xbox controller so you're not going to find a way to make the buttons not do Xbox things without a 3rd party software.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Heh, nice. NHL 94 Rewind (NHL '94 but with 2020 teams & rosters) is now included with EA Play and GP Ultimate.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Is Control on console Game Pass going to be the next gen upgraded port when that's released, or still the vanilla 30 fps version

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Roman posted:

Is Control on console Game Pass going to be the next gen upgraded port when that's released, or still the vanilla 30 fps version

Currently it's the standard version which doesn't have the upgrade option but it could easily change, I can't see them offering a 30fps version if there's a much better option for Series S/X

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I bought an Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 for use with my PC (I do not own an Xbox and do not plan to buy one).

I liked the idea of having the paddles on the back - four extra buttons! Yay!

But today, trying it for the first time, I was disappointed to find out that the paddles *cannot* be mapped to anything except other Xbox controller buttons. The paddles are not four additional buttons, but rather four opportunities to repeat other buttons on the same controller.

So, I can map them to A, B, X, Y, RB, LB, etc., but cannot map them to keyboard keys or simply use them as unique buttons (say, C, D, W, and Z).

This sucks.

Hunting for ways to map those buttons to anything besides other buttons on the controller, all I've found is reWASD. It allows the paddles to be mapped to things like keyboard keys and mouse buttons, which would resolve my issue.

Is that my only option? I'm not opposed to paying for reWASD to resolve this issue, I'm just surprised it's an issue at all. Has anyone else resolved this problem? How?
Yeah, the controller itself is limited by what the XInput spec and drivers have already defined - the paddles are just emulating existing buttons, even though Windows does detect them as separate buttons - specifically, via the Xbox Accessories app (but does not allow independent remapping).

Haven't looked into this for a long while but ReWASD appears to be a VERY sophisticated workaround, if you need this functionality then it's probably your best (and realistically only) option. I don't think any other software offers this. Might interfere with the game UI though, so that it is detecting controller and keyboard inputs simultaneously, but that would only be a minor visual bug.

This is the sort of fun stuff you had to do back when the Elite was new. It was a huge mess: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/468wv0/workaround_for_mapping_xbox_elite_controller/

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Roman posted:

By the time Control's upgrade comes out it's possible this will be off Gamepass.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Steam Controller is just pretending to be a mouse and keyboard to make its shortcuts work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phogs is a simple game but man my brain does not handle well when the dogs swap positions and the thumbstick directions need to reverse.

Haven seems extremely my game pass jam but Im like 10 minutes in and if you don't want to argue with your spouse about cooking while on an alien planet and then tease each other and I think at somepoint this becomes a turnbased RPG get out

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I want to try a Madden game on game pass just to see what all the hubbub is about but I don't even know the rules of that sport because I'm a euro. Am I going to have a bad time?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I want to try a Madden game on game pass just to see what all the hubbub is about but I don't even know the rules of that sport because I'm a euro. Am I going to have a bad time?

In this Euros opinion, American football is absolute shite

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

John F Bennett posted:

There are pretty elaborate tutorial modes in every version of Madden that walk you through a lot of the basics, so you can totally start there. It's no replacement for having watched the game for a while, but it's certainly better than just dropping into a full game and hoping for the best.

For whatever it's worth, speaking as someone who has watched American football and played video games since he could process these things: Madden's not particularly good at a) representing the sport or b) being a fun game to play. EA just kinda sits back and craps out another version every year with minimal changes to a broken and deeply overloaded foundation.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I haven’t played a Madden in 15 years or something dumb. I’m really surprised It isn’t some ftp gaas by now with paid roster updates and fifa style loot cards for fantasy teams.

Oh wait...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find with Madden even with some understanding of the sport, my tactical choices are fairly random and it doesn’t really feel like I’m in control of the game.

But as a Euro too I also say: it’s worth watching a video of the basics because the sport isn’t as complicated as it pretends to be (essentially the team with the ball has 4 attempts to get to the digital yellow line 10 yards away, and if they do they get another shot at it until they get to the goal line. That’s kinda it!) and is actually a lot of fun. It’s just very, very different to rugby despite looking similar at first glances.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

I hope I can play on the Xbox Retroarch:
Virtua Cop 1 & 2
Daytona USA
Diehard Arcade
Clockwork Knight 1 & 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dark Savior
Solar Eclipse

There are a bunch others I am sure I am missing. The system had a lot of great games.

Holy LoL don't play any Saturn version of Daytona USA

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

:canada: goons still looking for a Series S, staples has them in stock.

https://www.staples.ca/products/299...UkE1xBR11054QA0

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Installed Titanfall to check how the population is. 187 players worldwidw. Oof.

Game still excellent.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Installed Titanfall to check how the population is. 187 players worldwidw. Oof.

Game still excellent.

Can't wait for Halo Infinite to be out and for it be good. It's getting hard to find matches at certain times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Can't wait for Halo Infinite to be out and for it be good. It's getting hard to find matches at certain times.

I have bad news for you about the being good part.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Can't wait for Halo Infinite to be out and for it be good.

lmfao dream on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I have it on good authority its just a model swap of Doom Eternal

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Barudak posted:

I have it on good authority its just a model swap of Doom Eternal

Fire 343 get iD on it stat :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NumptyScrub posted:

Fire 343 get iD on it stat :colbert:

monkeys paw curls: 343 make the next doom

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

monkeys paw curls: 343 make the next doom

I liked Halo 5 more than Doom Eternal so I'd be okay with this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

:chloe:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Zerot posted:

Your house might have a lethal build up of Carbon Monoxide. Please head to the hospital ASAP and get checked out. Your life depends on it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Halo always seemed lame to me.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

A man can dream, and I'm filled with hope. Halo is life.

Also, I tried Doom Eternal and I did not enjoy it one bit. It's too fast-paced and it's just a bunch of rooms you have to clear.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Doom remake just didn't do it for me and I think that's what has kept me off of Eternal up to this point. I still play WADs now and again and I just couldn't get down with the gameplay. The whole "glory kill to get ammo and health" thing sucks. I got tired of having to watch the same 3 second animations over and over again in the very first level. Just let me speedrun and blast demons instead of absolutely having to ape the whole cliche FPS "stand in the same spot and defend against waves of enemies until the door to the next area unlocks" thing

Been meaning to give Eternal a shot sometime, just been really lazy

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Does the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S have any games to play yet

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Halo always felt boring to me and I never got it. I beat halo reach and that was okay and halo 5 I beat and that was fun but every other one was like "uhhh"

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Halo always felt boring to me and I never got it. I beat halo reach and that was okay and halo 5 I beat and that was fun but every other one was like "uhhh"

Halo 1 was fun multiplayer back in the day, but I never was interested in the campaign.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bradzilla posted:

NBA 2K21 is easily the next-gen show piece right now. youtube.com/watch?v=VlJTitNBk9g

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Halo 1 to 3 had great campaigns but the most fun was the multiplayer. So many options for custom games starting from Halo 3, and the regular multiplayer is still super fun.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was slightly too old for the "Halo 3 multi was a formative experience" crew but as a guy who spent every night in the dorms common area playing Archives / Power Weapons I get it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Zerot posted:

Doom Eternal definitely wasn't for everyone but drat

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Halo started cool. Cool atmosphere, cool story. First game (for me) that really felt cinematic and had the story happening as you were playing instead of just action ->cutscene rinse repeat.

But they couldn't stop huffing their own farts. The story got stupidly convoluted. Nobody ever told them "No more 'and then...'!"

Then the MP got wildly successful and bye bye SP.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

bradzilla posted:

I'm having a great time in Hitman 2 and ACV. Love Forza Horizon 4 as well. Much better playing them at 60fps than 30fps on the Xbox One.

I know if you already own a last-gen console and have low standards for frame rate then the XSX and XSS are meh right now but I've never owned a console before and I'm having a lot of fun and glad I picked one up on release. My wife is really enjoying it too and it's helping her relax after pretty stressful days at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
nobody engage bradzilla please