Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Crusader posted:

re: next week's preview, as they're showing a refugee from a movie universe, how come there wasn't more lower decks crisis point-style movie poo poo flying around

the personal transporters are actually based on Movie Transporter technology :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's interesting watching the scores of the episodes slowly creeping down.

I will say in this one it was nice to let Detmer actually do something. All the stuff on book's planet felt kinda stupid and too easy - as was said before it definitely felt like two episodes should have been used. Can't say I give a poo poo about space hitler, I hope this is the path to removing her stupid poo poo from the show forever. And I thought the They/Them bit was fine, someone said it was too in your face but it was just a correction then moving on!
I wish this crew were in a better written show. Saru/Tilly's scenes are just nice and feel p.star trek, it's just the rest that's stupid.

And the use of Book's ship by Saru and Tilly sorta annoyed me because it's doing exactly what they've been reprimanding Burnham for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Tilly did a decent job as XO at least

Also when she talked about an officer going rogue, I assumed she was talking about herself

Tilly wasn't the XO, she was a glorified Secretary.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Legit question for Star Trek nerds, have Kirk, Picard, Janeway, etc., ever actually suffered lasting consequences from disobeying Starfleet or the Federation?

Saru's actions, while dissapointing, seem pretty standard Star Trek fare.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Legit question for Star Trek nerds, have Kirk, Picard, Janeway, etc., ever actually suffered lasting consequences from disobeying Starfleet or the Federation?

Kirk got his Admiralty stripped away after stealing the Enterprise in TSS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kirk got his Admiralty stripped away after stealing the Enterprise in TSS

Yeah, but he kept his captaincy of the Enterprise, which was what he really wanted. Everyone knew that wasn't a real punishment.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And Sisko told Worf it was unlikely he'll ever get promoted to Captain because he let that Cardassian die to save Jadzia.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The cognitive dissonance with Emperor Hitler is getting too much. I can't imagine getting away with treating her the way the crew does if it was literally actual Hitler circa 1945 that got teleported to their time (and she has done worse things than actual Hitler for sure).

They should not have made her the Emperor of the TE. Should've just been another Captain like Lorca. Lorca did not spend the entirety of S1 threatening to murder everyone and their families every other line.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the ecology bent of Discovery overall even if its fists are entirely comprised of ham

Also amusing that Book's brother turned his head shamefacedly every time you got him with a moral quandry, to the point Book used that against him to disarm his dagger.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

The cognitive dissonance with Emperor Hitler is getting too much. I can't imagine getting away with treating her the way the crew does if it was literally actual Hitler circa 1945 that got teleported to their time (and she has done worse things than actual Hitler for sure).

They should not have made her the Emperor of the TE. Should've just been another Captain like Lorca. Lorca did not spend the entirety of S1 threatening to murder everyone and their families every other line.

Counterpoint-

Lorca was trying to pretend to be the normal universe guy, and needed to be somewhat approachable, and he was still a bit of an arse.

Mirror Phillipa had kinda made her peace with losing, and is now in a world with strangers, who she's been trained to expect them all to try and kill her with a moment's weakness.

She has no idea how to process the change, so she's exaggerating her walls to keep everyone away from her where she can.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

mehall posted:

She has no idea how to process the change, so she's exaggerating her walls to keep everyone away from her where she can.

But she was still cartoonishly evil when she was in the Mirror Universe (arguably more so), when there was no reason for it to be an act or exaggeration. Like she enslaved (and ate!) the race of the captain of the ship, that should give anyone pause on whether she should tag along on their space adventures.

If they do end up sending her back to the 23rd century I don't get what the point of her being in season 3 was anyway. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have a 3 minute scene at the end of season 2 where she can say "nah i'm going to hang out with ash".

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 4, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mehall posted:

Counterpoint-

Lorca was trying to pretend to be the normal universe guy, and needed to be somewhat approachable, and he was still a bit of an arse.

Mirror Phillipa had kinda made her peace with losing, and is now in a world with strangers, who she's been trained to expect them all to try and kill her with a moment's weakness.

She's literally murdered and eaten billions of sapient people. And it's played like it's a joke.
It'd be fine in lower decks because it's set that sorta scene but not here

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was extremely turned off by her chuckling over eating Kelpian flesh at Saru's dinner party. I'd have had her thrown in the brig, and checked off every therapy box to be sure she gets a wide-eyed empath hectoring her every waking moment.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

it’s likely another actor contract situation where they’re stuck and don’t really know how to fix the story situation but they can’t jettison the character

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yep. I’ve said this before, but I suspect the show they initially drafted contracts for is very different from what they’re trying to do now, so they’re stuck with a few actors that are unfortunately billed as leads that actively drag the story down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but he kept his captaincy of the Enterprise, which was what he really wanted. Everyone knew that wasn't a real punishment.
Yes that is just the only real punishment I can think of

Hell, Janeway got a promotion

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

She's literally murdered and eaten billions of sapient people. And it's played like it's a joke.
It'd be fine in lower decks because it's set that sorta scene but not here

Yeah, people got a little bit too close to Dukat too at times but I never got the impression that they stopped considering him a huge piece of poo poo and monster. The situation with Georgiou is just jarring, she like part of the family now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Crusader posted:

it’s likely another actor contract situation where they’re stuck and don’t really know how to fix the story situation but they can’t jettison the character
I have a solution - have the Emperor, who knows she's dying, make a heroic sacrifice to swap herself out with Captain Georgiou at the Binary Stars (say, right before her & Michael beamed over to get T'Kuvma), and then Captain Georgiou can get a promotion to Admiral in the future times and be a supporting character, keeping Yeoh in the show. Or give her a new ship and crew and that can be the new spinoff.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that is just the only real punishment I can think of

Hell, Janeway got a promotion
I've seen it argued that she was probably promoted so she would never command a starship again, and they didn't want to yeet her out of Starfleet because she had at least actually gotten her crew home and probably got a lot of data on the Delta Quadrant in the process and was regarded as a hero.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
There's a lot that can be said about this episode, but I think the only thing that needs to be said is how terrible of an actor Ache Hernandez is.

EDIT - Wait, they want this dude because he knows they're out of dilithium in a galaxy where the entire strife is that dilithium exploded and is scarce? That's the big secret? Played with a dramatic bass beat? What the hell, who thought that was supposed to be a big deal?

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 4, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Brawnfire posted:

I was extremely turned off by her chuckling over eating Kelpian flesh at Saru's dinner party. I'd have had her thrown in the brig, and checked off every therapy box to be sure she gets a wide-eyed empath hectoring her every waking moment.

...with food references!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Yep. I’ve said this before, but I suspect the show they initially drafted contracts for is very different from what they’re trying to do now, so they’re stuck with a few actors that are unfortunately billed as leads that actively drag the story down.

The Season 3 team needs to find a wormhole to go back to Season 1 to make the show that leads up to Season 3.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I am not sure if it was the actress or the direction, but I fully expected the Orion leader to demand to speak to the Federation's manager.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Super Deuce posted:

There's a lot that can be said about this episode, but I think the only thing that needs to be said is how terrible of an actor Ache Hernandez is.

EDIT - Wait, they want this dude because he knows they're out of dilithium in a galaxy where the entire strife is that dilithium exploded and is scarce? That's the big secret? Played with a dramatic bass beat? What the hell, who thought that was supposed to be a big deal?

My understanding is that dilithium is rare but the Emerald Chain wields a lot of power because they hoard enough to move fleets around the quadrant. If that stops being true then the Federation and other players can start pressing on their territories and they wouldn't be able to retaliate.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Yeah, it's about maintaining face when you're actually crumbling on the inside. Kinda like how the Klingons were so resistant to help after Praxis blew up - even if they need the help, they don't want to acknowledge they do because that gives you an uncomfortable weak spot. For tough guys, you don't want that.

quote:

They gave the dude who ate her prime counterpart a phaser and security clearance, then when the dude he snapped the neck of confronted him Saru was perfectly happy to let them duke it out. Even Pike kinda laughed at the situation while acknowledging it shouldn't have happened.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 4, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

...with food references!

Perfect!

"Now now Georgiou, you're being a pineapple!"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

My understanding is that dilithium is rare but the Emerald Chain wields a lot of power because they hoard enough to move fleets around the quadrant. If that stops being true then the Federation and other players can start pressing on their territories and they wouldn't be able to retaliate.

Which is fine if it's not what everyone is facing in the scale they are. Let's say there was a report that all oil reserves are gone and only 5% of the current oil the world has or can have is left. It's not a surprise to find out the US doesn't have that much oil, either.

Tilly's response should have been, "Yes, and?"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Super Deuce posted:

Which is fine if it's not what everyone is facing in the scale they are. Let's say there was a report that all oil reserves are gone and only 5% of the current oil the world has or can have is left. It's not a surprise to find out the US doesn't have that much oil, either.

Tilly's response should have been, "Yes, and?"

I think the point is, and I'm speculating because the show hasn't really been clear about it, is that the Emerald Chain has projected that it has a lot of dilithium, by post-Burn standards. That is apparently not true. I don't think it's hard to see why that changes the geopolitical landscape.

It's like Germany in 1940 finding out the US can either defend itself or Europe but not both.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The worst thing about Georgiou is that it seems like in their interactions Michael has completely forgotten who she is and keeps treating her as if she's regular universe Georgiou. Which just makes Michael even more annoying.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Brawnfire posted:

Perfect!

"Now now Georgiou, you're being a pineapple!"
I can see Georgiou making a holo-movie where she murders the crew of Discovery, no problem. And probably have a fight with her holo-self to save Michael, to boot.

Alchenar posted:

The worst thing about Georgiou is that it seems like in their interactions Michael has completely forgotten who she is and keeps treating her as if she's regular universe Georgiou. Which just makes Michael even more annoying.
I think Mirror Geogiou has pointed out that Michael saved her to try and make up for failing to save Captain Georgiou, so it kind of makes sense that she's still kind of projecting those feelings onto her, at least. I imagine the upcoming two-parter is going to address that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I mean, I guess Philippa helped save everyone's rear end a few times (as well as all life in the universe). Plus she looks exactly like somebody else they know, so it's not hard to imagine people getting a sort of "we're in the trenches together" feeling/Stockholm syndrome with her. I know this is probably not what the writers intended but it seems somewhat believable to me.

Kira got this with Gul Dukat on occasion, but the writers were smart enough to have her realize this was a mistake after a while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Picard ruined his life/career for like 14 years after telling Starfleet to get stuffed and was still iced out by his contemporaries and the new kids when he tried to climb back into the boat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought it was funny that Saru thought he pulled one over by sending out a ship that clearly came out of his federation ship and then that second ship attacks osira or whatever her name is. Then she immediately calls them and says "Yeah, I know it was you, we're going to war now."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

If I were the admiral, I would bust Saru down so hard at this point.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:smug: : "This is the USS Nimitz, we are here just to observe. We are totally not attacking you."
:supaburn: : "But the planes that are absolutely launching form your deck are bombing us?!"
:smug: : "I have no idea what you are talking about."

So glad that that inane plan did not work out for them.

Also, Saru's attempts to find a catchphrase slightly amused me. All in all, I think the character writing and dialogues are a step up from the previous seasons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If I were the admiral, I would bust Saru down so hard at this point.

no you see this is totally what will convince the admiral that Michael is right and they need to be more daring and outgoing!!!

Fully expect to see Michael as XO again by the end of the season.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tarquinn posted:

:smug: : "This is the USS Nimitz, we are here just to observe. We are totally not attacking you."
:supaburn: : "But the planes that are absolutely launching form your deck are bombing us?!"
:smug: : "I have no idea what you are talking about."

So glad that that inane plan did not work out for them.

Also, Saru's attempts to find a catchphrase slightly amused me. All in all, I think the character writing and dialogues are a step up from the previous seasons.

Was one of the phrases "Manifest"?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I keep wanting the show to revisit that federation worshiper that Burnam promoted to Chief Communications Liaison or whatever his title was.

Admiral: "Burnam, the latest courier download includes question after question from some fellow in the Nutjob System who claims to have been promoted to within the Federation? By you? And now I've got HR bugging me about his status and rank? And this guy has established a network of Federation "operatives" for intelligence? Additionally, this guy has hitched a ride with a courier to come here expecting a briefing? Who is this guy? Burnam, you can't run around the galaxy promoting people to the Federation. It's not how we do things in this timeline."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i'm kinda ok with the fig leaf attempt at deniability that was in no way plausible immediately failing, as long as the aftermath later isn't inane

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

no you see this is totally what will convince the admiral that Michael is right and they need to be more daring and outgoing!!!

Fully expect to see Michael as XO again by the end of the season.

I thought it was a nice bit of characterization that the admiral wasn't actually opposed to Michael's idea and appreciated that a knee-capped Starfleet necessitated more proactive members. He was just pissed they didn't ask him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I thought it was funny that Saru thought he pulled one over by sending out a ship that clearly came out of his federation ship and then that second ship attacks osira or whatever her name is. Then she immediately calls them and says "Yeah, I know it was you, we're going to war now."

There should've been an additional scene where Discovery just followed them in warp and blew them up.

Admiral Vance is gonna be real mad you did the right thing by protecting those people but also left this mess for everyone else! You gotta take care of the loose ends Saru.