Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know who that guy is outside of that one video but he does eat the whole thing and say "that's how you eat a porkchop sandwich, bone in" so I don't think he was like, surprised by it or unprepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A bone-in porkchop sandwich is even less of a sandwich than a hot dog or taco

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What if there's a cut-out window on the bread so you know where not to bite?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The way they do it at the polish stands is with a sirloin chop i think, the bone is all around the outside so you don't have to really eat around it, you just eat the sandwich and then there's a bone

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Baltimore lake trout is fried and served bones-in, it's kind of a pain but you just eat around it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I grew up eating everything you can catch in the surf in Virginia (spot, croaker, flounder, roundhead, and small blues mostly) just dredged in corn meal and fried with the bones in. It's not a big deal. You waste a ton of meat filleting small fish and it's more work than eating around them.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

poverty goat posted:

I grew up eating everything you can catch in the surf in Virginia (spot, croaker, flounder, roundhead, and small blues mostly) just dredged in corn meal and fried with the bones in. It's not a big deal. You waste a ton of meat filleting small fish and it's more work than eating around them.

Sure, but like in a sandwich? Of course eating things with bones still on them like on a plate is normal. Sandwiches with bones is blowing my mind though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

wait til you see matty's insanely impractical 7 layer dip it'll blow your minds whoa!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Slotducks posted:

wait til you see matty's insanely impractical 7 layer dip it'll blow your minds whoa!

gently caress yeah, I love scraping pickled onions, cheese, and diced tomatoes off my coffee table with a chip

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

gently caress yeah, I love scraping pickled onions, cheese, and diced tomatoes off my coffee table with a chip

it's like a reward

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Slotducks posted:

This is like Guy Fieris trashcan nachos but rustic

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

what's worse:
Recipe Literalists or those dang dirty Post Modernist recipe-auteurs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

noticed something neat from that new claire saffitz focaccia video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGnMrM9qDtE

quote:

Dessert Person Cookbook
Photographer: Alex Lau
Food Stylist: Sue Li
Prop Stylist: Astrid Chastka

Video Series:
Producer/Director: Vincent Cross
Camera Operator: Calvin Robertson
Sound Engineer/Music: Michael Guggino
Editor: Brooke Shuman

she got vinny from it's alive to be the producer/director.

also like at least half the credits seem to be current or former bon appetit people.

alex lau used to do food photography at ba (and made tweets a while back saying one of the reasons he left was "white leadership refused to make changes that my BIPOC coworkers and I constantly pushed for.").

vincent cross was the original camera guy for it's alive a billion years ago.

calvin robertson did some dp work for bon appetit but I'm not sure what.

michael guggino is a sound guy for bon appetit (I think he's the guy with the baby that claire fawned over in her solo it's alive video).

and brooke shuman used to do editing for bon appetit (I don't know when).

edit: she also gives a shout out to hawa hassan and her cookbook at the end. you may remember her in like 3 bon appetit videos that she was contracted for for black history month and then never again, and then she started slamming them.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 4, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah. I think Claire was easily the most franchisable personality from that stable, so makes sense free agent food content producers are gravitating towards her.

Largely why I'm more interested in what Sohla, Pyria, Gaby, and Rick will do. They've got a momentum, but nowhere near the gaurenteed ssuccess that comes with being that marketable. I think I mentioned this before, but god drat is it stark looking at Claire's channel debut vs. Gaby's. Someone with limited resource's trying a thing out vs. someone working with the best in the biz. Wishing both all the best, but clearly the former will need more of our support.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 4, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Slotducks posted:

Followed Matty since Dead Set On Life on Viceland. The guy is just bonkers charismatic, an amazing chef taught French cuisine by an vietnamese immigrant and constantly makes mistakes and rolls with it.

The dip video is especially stupid/great because he says how stupid serving it in a pitcher is and asked everyone to send him pictures of them serving it in said stupid pitcher like glassware for lols.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Followed Matty since Dead Set On Life on Viceland. The guy is just bonkers charismatic, an amazing chef taught French cuisine by an vietnamese immigrant and constantly makes mistakes and rolls with it.

The dip video is especially stupid/great because he says how stupid serving it in a pitcher is and asked everyone to send him pictures of them serving it in said stupid pitcher like glassware for lols.

It's also a real joy watching him eat everything he makes while it's nuclear-hot and burning his mouth every single time. Never gets old.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

an amazing chef taught French cuisine by an vietnamese immigrant

I wish Master Rang was in more of the Youtube vids but having that much cigarette ash in the food probably ruins the glamour shots

I got the Home Style Cookery book for my birthday and the pictures for every dish are amazing

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
HI IM MATTY MATHESON. DID YOUR MOM MAKE CHICKEN TENDIES EVERY SATURSAY SUPPER WELL HANG IN THERE BECAUSE WERE MAKING A SCRUMPTIOUS, LUSCIOUS CHICKEN TENDER BUFFALO HOLLANDAISE SANDWICH STAY TUNED.

Ok people first you take a stick of butter... ok a stick and a half of butter....

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also the Kenji brad salt box drops tomorrow. 200 salt boxes 100 dollars a pop and 20 dollars goes directly to no hungry kid.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veskit posted:

Also the Kenji brad salt box drops tomorrow. 200 salt boxes 100 dollars a pop and 20 dollars goes directly to no hungry kid.

Got a link?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonna donate $90 to that charity and spend $10 on literally any fuckin wooden box

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Gonna donate $90 to that charity and spend $10 on literally any fuckin wooden box

deli containers are a dime a dozen, bud.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have a feeling it's not going to be very good either

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

xtal posted:

Got a link?

It was on his youtube but this is what he wrote specifically

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyzH0owkD9doY_jRgp4AaABCQ

Kenji's youtube posted:

Hey folks. My salt box collaboration with @Brad Leone goes live tomorrow (12/4) at 3pm EST at 3dotwood.com. This box is modeled after the box you see even using for the last 15 years. It’s my most-used piece of kitchen gear.

One box per order limit, and there are only 200 of them for now (there will be more in the future), as they are all 100% hand-made and finished. This batch is walnut. The cost is $100 and of that $20 is being donated directly to No Kid Hungry.

I’ll be back with more videos and a couple new series in the new year. Stay safe and happy holidays!

EDIT: regarding the price, it’s a labor-intensive hand-made item, and a passion project. Labor involved sourcing and milling the lumber (it all comes from reclaimed trees), kiln-drying, cutting, glueing, clamping, hand-sanding, hand-finishing, branding, packing and shipping, etc.

My videos will always be free, and I never do paid promotion or sponsorships. I understand this thing is not for everyone, but I ain’t in this for the money.

Photo: Jason Rusnock

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

piratepilates posted:

writing "salt cellar" on a piece of painters tape and putting it on my half-pint deli container full of kosher salt

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
what's a "reclaimed tree"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Salvaged/recycled. Like a telephone pole or something.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

The BA YouTube disappeared from my page the second I unsubscribed; I haven’t seen any notification of this despite being subscribed to Kenji, Babish for Sohla, and Chef John.

You aren’t missing much. The recipes they’re showcasing as of yet aren’t going to spike the algorithm for people making fun, easyish stuff, just with skill. They’ve been, for the most part, very niche kinds of dishes and the new personalities don’t have much of one.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

piratepilates posted:

I'm posh and use an old Talenti ice cream tub.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCIrS-HZO0

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I saw the title of the video before it even loaded and thought "well I know what my weekend project is"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A tragic episode of Stump Sohla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZv2yMhk1Cw

An uplifting episode of Mythical Kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kUZbaHKKc

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

This was amazing

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

making a birthday cake for your boss that would kill him and only him is inspired

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just the best. :smith:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Babish thought she's go My Girl sad but instead she went Bloodborne sad.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Actually now that I think about it she may have specifically went the My Girl route.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That was even funnier than I expected, Sohla is brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Sohla’s sad birthday came out on my son’s second birthday :smith: