Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I just got my set of Esco jack stands. Part of me is upset there's only one choice when it comes to pin style jackstands, and there's dozens of the ratchet kind. They are really nice though, and I value having a big flat bearing plate on these too. I should call my insurance agent for a discount on my life insurance policy.
Gray makes pin types but they're $200+ a piece. I'd go to a lumber mill and bought solid wood blocks for that price.

Edit: Those aren't the three leg ESCOs?

Reuben Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Gray makes pin types but they're $200+ a piece. I'd go to a lumber mill and bought solid wood blocks for that price.

What's wrong with the 3 leg escos?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Ya just the three legged kind. Not like any sort of racing stand that pins into the rocker. I'm still in the market for two more if there's a better option!

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know of a good alternative to McMaster for good quality hardware at decent prices?

I'm in the US, just not the contiguous 48, and McMaster will ship to me but with some of the worst shipping rates of any website I've ever seen, worst yet, they won't even tell me what the rate is until after they ship. Made the mistake of ordering something I had trouble finding anywhere else from them once, paid $70 in shipping for $20 of merchandise, never again if I can help it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elem7 posted:

Anyone know of a good alternative to McMaster for good quality hardware at decent prices?

I'm in the US, just not the contiguous 48, and McMaster will ship to me but with some of the worst shipping rates of any website I've ever seen, worst yet, they won't even tell me what the rate is until after they ship. Made the mistake of ordering something I had trouble finding anywhere else from them once, paid $70 in shipping for $20 of merchandise, never again if I can help it.

AK and HI get hosed on shipping, especially anything heavy (hardware). McMaster isn't for you. Bolt Depot might be willing to to USPS flat-rate boxes, which are the only affordable way to get stuff to AK/HI.
:edit: if you're in an outlying territory (Guam, USVI, etc) then USPS flat-rate is the only choice. God save the USPS, they're also the only affordable way to send stuff to the military when deployed. APO/FPO were a godsend when I was in the sandbox.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, Akrobins and their generic counterparts are usually the way to go here.

I got lucky and someone handed me a couple trash bags full of them they they found when they were on a clean out job.

And lol sharyytm is so right above.
I've got a ton of Akro bins, Schaller bins, Lista Cabinets, Durham scoop bin drawers, Stanley 10/25 bin etc. It always sucks.

And yeah, gently caress Uline. They're a drat cult and run by truly evil people.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 3, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need some large (3-3.5"ish) retaining ring/snap ring pliers and I'd preferably like to get them locally so I can have them 1st thing in the AM. What kind of places might stock those? I'm in a small/mid-sized city. Auto parts stores don't seem to have any that big on the shelf, and the big box places of course don't either.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Heavy truck repair or a hydraulic shop. You might even be able to borrow them for a hefty deposit. Bring donuts & coffee.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was gonna say harbor freight because I thought that's where mine came from, but I can't find them on the website.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

angryrobots posted:

I was gonna say harbor freight because I thought that's where mine came from, but I can't find them on the website.

I have these:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308959_200308959
and they have done fine but won't quite grip on this big one-the angle is wrong and they slip or something. There is a larger 10" version of those that would probably work, but it doesn't seem to be a commonly stocked item.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My largest lockring pliers are a proto 251g parallel jaw set and a CTA A848 set. Not sure either is big enough for your requirements but the prices are alright on the A848 on amazon, and IIRC it is larger. The 251g I only needed for one specific reason I can't remember while rebuilding my nv4500, it's rare I actually need parallel jaw movement on such a tool.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Might try a good sized Napa.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have this ridiculous, oversized set of Astro Pneumatics I could lend you if you're in the Seattle area. They seem to be good quality.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am very far away from Seattle but thanks!

Looks like the local Napa has a set in stock that might do it-I’m gonna call in the morning. Good to know they are the weird tool place. I’m not sure I feel like spending $100 on a set for this one thing-may wait until next week and order the one plier I actually need. I have a backup in the meantime at least-thanks for the help!

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

AK and HI get hosed on shipping, especially anything heavy (hardware). McMaster isn't for you. Bolt Depot might be willing to to USPS flat-rate boxes, which are the only affordable way to get stuff to AK/HI.
:edit: if you're in an outlying territory (Guam, USVI, etc) then USPS flat-rate is the only choice. God save the USPS, they're also the only affordable way to send stuff to the military when deployed. APO/FPO were a godsend when I was in the sandbox.

Yah, plenty of places online will use flat rate priority boxes but many like McMaster refuse and if asked usually fall back on "we can't control what the 'puter calculates for shipping." I've paid $16 to ship flat boxes literally full of stone or even lead from small outfits but big vendors like McMasters can't seem to figure it out for non-48 customers and will charge $50+ for 2 pounds of stuff. I'll give Bolt Depot a try next time I need something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think they do 100% UPS. The one at Elmhurst, IL, at least, they literally sort and pile up pallets of boxes and the UPS truck pulls up and drives the pallets to the shipping hub 5 miles away. I'm surprised they don't have a better rate for the volume they ship, but there's almost no option beyond chucking it in a box and putting it on a pallet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elem7 posted:

Yah, plenty of places online will use flat rate priority boxes but many like McMaster refuse and if asked usually fall back on "we can't control what the 'puter calculates for shipping." I've paid $16 to ship flat boxes literally full of stone or even lead from small outfits but big vendors like McMasters can't seem to figure it out for non-48 customers and will charge $50+ for 2 pounds of stuff. I'll give Bolt Depot a try next time I need something.

Yeah. They're exclusive UPS and LTL. I recently bought a full 4x8 sheet of .25" GP03 FRP. It was $300 for the sheet and $110 in shipping, but it arrived on a semi the next drat day. It was half the price of any local materials supplier, and I would have had to either pick it up, or pay the $50-$75 truck fee and wait a few days. If you're APO/FPO, you can get McMaster to use USPS, but if not, you're boned.

Bolt Depot are good folks, and cheaper that McMaster. Albany County fastener are another possibility. The biggest thing is the use of USPS flat rate.

Hell, if you can only find something on McMaster, shoot me a PM and I can order and ship it for you.

Uthor posted:

I think they do 100% UPS. The one at Elmhurst, IL, at least, they literally sort and pile up pallets of boxes and the UPS truck pulls up and drives the pallets to the shipping hub 5 miles away. I'm surprised they don't have a better rate for the volume they ship, but there's almost no option beyond chucking it in a box and putting it on a pallet.
They get amazing rates, but dense packages cost a ton of money for air freight (doubly so now).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am very far away from Seattle but thanks!

Looks like the local Napa has a set in stock that might do it-I’m gonna call in the morning. Good to know they are the weird tool place. I’m not sure I feel like spending $100 on a set for this one thing-may wait until next week and order the one plier I actually need. I have a backup in the meantime at least-thanks for the help!

Heh, awesome. Reason I suggested Napa is because that is where I got my snap ring pliers from back in the pre-internet shopping days. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I was gonna say the same. Two sets of pliers, one inside one outside, each with replaceable pins for angles from flat down to 90 in a blow molded case. Looks like they don't have them anymore and that's a shame. I've used the hell out of those things over the years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got a pair of those Channel Lock brand ones Kaiser has, and they're pretty decent, mechanism operates nice, pins are decent quality, they're better than the auto parts place of brand ones they replaced that liked to yeet pin tips into motorcycle clutch baskets.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We have a room at my work that is known that the room with the big socket. Literally no one knows what it's for. It's 3 1/8 inches and has a one inch drive

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's the jesus bolt that keeps your grid section of the earth from falling into space.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oil filters.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
New tool box, birthday gift from my family. Replacing my 3 tier craftsman box from about 8 years ago.

Basically filled it at this point considering how overstuffed the 3 tier craftsman was.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Drain plugs.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

um excuse me posted:

We have a room at my work that is known that the room with the big socket. Literally no one knows what it's for. It's 3 1/8 inches and has a one inch drive

I used to work at a company that manufactured heavy equipment, the size of tools they had there was fun. Six foot long, 1-inch drive, 1000ft-lb torque wrenches that didn't get used that much since a lot of the stuff needed higher torque than that. They had a hydraulic system on a cart to do that stuff, but sadly I never got to use it. An engineering intern asked me once about a work instruction he was reading, "This says to torque the screw to 1300 ft-lbs, is that even possible?" He'd apparently never seen a torque wrench bigger than 1/2" drive. Basically everything they worked on there had to be moved around by forklift or on the 25-ton overhead bridge cranes. lovely company, but that part of it was fun.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Dacheat posted:

New tool box, birthday gift from my family. Replacing my 3 tier craftsman box from about 8 years ago.

Basically filled it at this point considering how overstuffed the 3 tier craftsman was.

Nice! It is a good feeling to have everything in one place and easily accessible.
I don't want to undersell how good it feels, but if you combine becoming a parent, your wedding day, and the best orgasm you've ever had, you might come close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

On what? The Enterprise?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

On what? The Enterprise?

Or anything that comes through Jiffy Lube based on stories I've read.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of oil filters, I just got one. Gonna change so many filters now!

https://i.imgur.com/A5cAb7J.mp4

It even makes a ring when it's done :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or anything that comes through Jiffy Lube based on stories I've read.

So they just use it to hammer the old filter off?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It's cute that you guys think Jiffy Lube actually removes the filter. That socket is just their generic "broken part" they for the up-sell, "Your drum brake here has a one inch hole in the middle and ridges all around the inner lip where it should be smooth".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

um excuse me posted:

Silly! Its obviously for turning nuts and bolts that are 3 1/8" with a one inch drive ratchet/torque wrench/impact gun.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of oil filters, I just got one. Gonna change so many filters now!

https://i.imgur.com/A5cAb7J.mp4

It even makes a ring when it's done :allears:

so you are the guy that put the filter on the last car I bought.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I always torque my oil filters to yield.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Safety Dance posted:

Tighten till it loosens then back a half turn.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Safety Dance posted:

I've seen your work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Turns out oil filters are torque to yield. That's why you're not supposed to reuse them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Awhile back I bought a creeper, not long before moving. Unfortunately the house I bought only had a gravel driveway, so the creeper has been tucked away beside my tool chest, the red vinyl cushion fading to white in the sunlight. 8 years I’ve been working off a cardboard mat, until today. I recently had a new driveway poured and it has finally cured up enough for me to roll up a car and run an oil change, for which I was finally able to dig out the creeper and use it again!

I can’t even begin to describe how great it is to have a good workspace again, and being able to use this creeper. It really is the little things that make me the happiest

:feelsgood:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Only having gravel as a surface to work on sucks. I know that feeling. I use my Quickjacks on thick plywood sheets on top of gravel (per QJ recommendations), but it's always a matter of shuffling and "digging" to get it to seat correctly etc. At least gym-mats are amazing to use. I do have a long but narrow garage, but the problem is that the surface is so uneven that the QJs don't make full contact with the ground, which makes me nervous as hell and I never used them inside again. I've been toying with just doing a quick cheap hack job leveling of the garage floor that only has to last a year or so (redoing the house and the garage will become storage/washing machine, indoors workshop kinda thing). Too late now. An alternative would be a car port that we can build a garage next to in the future. At least then I'd be able to work on flat surfaces and have some protection from the elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sharkytm posted:

Albany County fastener are another possibility.

Their YouTube channel is great.

boxen posted:

I used to work at a company that manufactured heavy equipment, the size of tools they had there was fun. Six foot long, 1-inch drive, 1000ft-lb torque wrenches that didn't get used that much since a lot of the stuff needed higher torque than that. They had a hydraulic system on a cart to do that stuff, but sadly I never got to use it. An engineering intern asked me once about a work instruction he was reading, "This says to torque the screw to 1300 ft-lbs, is that even possible?" He'd apparently never seen a torque wrench bigger than 1/2" drive. Basically everything they worked on there had to be moved around by forklift or on the 25-ton overhead bridge cranes. lovely company, but that part of it was fun.

The machines used to turn bolts on wind turbines are cool.