Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

weirdest thing about genshin being both a freewheeling botw ripoff and a gacha game with tightly controlled resources, is how some characters are just arbitrarily harder to level up because they use more annoying open world mats than others. need 45 wolf berries to ascend a dude, which only really spawn on this one path thats full of monster camps, and also the berries are inside bushes that look like every other non berry containing bush so at a glance they're impossible to see (unless you stop and use batman vision or are fortunate enough to have the character that marks them on the map)

meanwhile everyone else is like yeah i use grass to level up, you can find it anywhere, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/TiltedTyler/status/1334909746890088449?s=20

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Well we can't all look like 90s John Leguizamo

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Convex posted:

Well we can't all look like 90s John Leguizamo
Certainly not with that attitude.

It's all right, since you haven't played the whole cycle you can't decently call yourself a fan yet so that doesn't apply to you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

People enjoying games and openly talking about the games they enjoy is great, while some people's fondness for unnecessary antagonistic shots at things others are playing and enjoying is highly lame, no matter how thick the irony coating.

That's my positive posting platform and I'm sticking to it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

homeless snail posted:

weirdest thing about genshin being both a freewheeling botw ripoff and a gacha game with tightly controlled resources, is how some characters are just arbitrarily harder to level up because they use more annoying open world mats than others. need 45 wolf berries to ascend a dude, which only really spawn on this one path thats full of monster camps, and also the berries are inside bushes that look like every other non berry containing bush so at a glance they're impossible to see (unless you stop and use batman vision or are fortunate enough to have the character that marks them on the map)

meanwhile everyone else is like yeah i use grass to level up, you can find it anywhere, thanks

Yeah, I'm honestly much less bothered by the gacha part of this game than I am by the grinds-within-grinds needed to make use of my characters. Next time I get a five star I'm going to be saying 'yay, time to grind exp books and ascension mats and weapon mats and artifacts'. There's a lot of friction between getting a goodie and being able to use it.

(Also to your specific example - there's a wandering NPC on the windrise road that will sell you 5 wolf berry a day, I ran into her just yesterday.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

xedo posted:

(Also to your specific example - there's a wandering NPC on the windrise road that will sell you 5 wolf berry a day, I ran into her just yesterday.)
the gently caress

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

homeless snail posted:

the gently caress

Wolfhook right? https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Chloris

Edit: wiki says every 3 days not every day i lied

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kanfy posted:

People enjoying games and openly talking about the games they enjoy is great, while some people's fondness for unnecessary antagonistic shots at things others are playing and enjoying is highly lame, no matter how thick the irony coating.

That's my positive posting platform and I'm sticking to it.

i think they were just posting a funny picture

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kanfy posted:

People enjoying games

Not on my watch :argh:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love the faceless polygon style of mgs and other games from that generation and I wish more retro-style games would copy that

I can only think of a few different games that used that style from the ps1 and I can't think of any modern games that do that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The sound effects in MGS are so iconic. The codec ring, the ! sound, even the gun noises.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am impressed by the ability of Danganronpa fans to remmember and give a poo poo about the gigantic piles of characters in them, half of whom die before they have a chance to really make an impression on you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Just wait until you get a character who you want to use and needs violetgrass to level up

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I remember in MGS1 the hero and villain were twins and were supposed to have the same face. And the players were somehow supposed to be like "wooooow" but no one noticed because the faces have something like 5 polygons each.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

I am impressed by the ability of Danganronpa fans to remmember and give a poo poo about the gigantic piles of characters in them, half of whom die before they have a chance to really make an impression on you

In the first game at least they actually did a really good job of fleshing out characters so even the ones that die early have strong personalities. Goodbye Chihiro you deserved better :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

Just wait until you get a character who you want to use and needs violetgrass to level up
I got xinyan and as cool as the texan girl that hits people with her guitar is, fire and greatsword people are the last thing I need more of so I'm Safe From Violetgrass

I still need to ascend klee one more time though...

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The sound effects in MGS are so iconic. The codec ring, the ! sound, even the gun noises.
When it came out I saw clips from Metal Gear Survive where they keep a lot of those sounds but in this weird nothing game and next to new things they added that are nowhere near as satisfying. Insanely hosed up.

The item pick up sound is top tier

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also don't forget the menu theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5105DeorjrY

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

theres always the bonus modes you get after completing them that let you hang out with everyone. and the dr2 class in particular got a bunch of expanded material. and just personally i think most of the casts of 2 and v3 are pretty memorable just in general, idk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just remember two characters from 2, the guy who said despair 20,000 times and the clumsy girl who kept ending up in VN-style splash panels

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Am I good installing and playing games on a portable USB 3.0 drive, how does that compare to SATA platter drives or SSDs?

I am guessing that it's OK since console gamers are doing it all the time now? But they are also tolerant of long load times

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Am I good installing and playing games on a portable USB 3.0 drive, how does that compare to SATA platter drives or SSDs?

I am guessing that it's OK since console gamers are doing it all the time now? But they are also tolerant of long load times

Don't these drives go to sleep every few minutes and need waking up to pull more data?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The issue isn't necessarily the USB 3.0 transfer speed throughput, but the quality of the drive or memory in the portable. Typically those are built for storage or low RPM or simply low quality. USB 3.0 allows for up to 600 MB/s transfers, but I doubt you'd actually be able to pull more than 200 MB/s from the drive itself and are likely to get a maximum of 50-100MB/s.

The new hotness are M.2 SSDs which get to like 4 GB/s. Quite a leap in speed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Frekkie Melody posted:

Don't these drives go to sleep every few minutes and need waking up to pull more data?
depends on the drive and the enclosure, sometimes they do but can be configured not to

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'd get a full size drive and my own enclosure though rather than one that comes with some low end 2.5" thing though, unless its actually important that its portable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got this drive that was marketed as a "game drive," it was on sale during the Cyber Monday

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-black-p10-game-drive-usb-3-2-hdd#WDBA3A0040BBK-WESN

If it's trash I just reorganize my stuff and use it as media storage lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh hey, Dragon Age XI Definitive Edition is available now for PC. This is one with the 16-Bit graphics mode that is really cool. You have to buy the game over again if you already own it, there's no discount for owning the game originally, or an upgrade option. Square-Enix is greedy as gently caress, so this is no surprise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Ooh hey, Dragon Age XI Definitive Edition is available now for PC. This is one with the 16-Bit graphics mode that is really cool. You have to buy the game over again if you already own it, there's no discount for owning the game originally, or an upgrade option. Square-Enix is greedy as gently caress, so this is no surprise.

What hell timeline am I in where they made 8 more Dragon Age games? *checks calendar* oh

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Ooh hey, Dragon Age XI Definitive Edition is available now for PC.

You've got Bioware on the brain. I'm afraid it's (like their company) terminal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh Pillars of Eternity Definitive Edition is going to be free on EGS next week... I am not too far into POE2, is it worthwhile to go back and give it another go if I bounced off it the first time I tried

(I noticed this because I almost got the current free game but it is Nicalis poo poo, no thanks lol)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

More games should learn from visual novels in terms of character design because I could identify every character and the order they appear in from memory of an Ace Attorney game. If your VN has bad characters you have a bad VN.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh Pillars of Eternity Definitive Edition is going to be free on EGS next week... I am not too far into POE2, is it worthwhile to go back and give it another go if I bounced off it the first time I tried

(I noticed this because I almost got the current free game but it is Nicalis poo poo, no thanks lol)

If real time with pause is why you bounced off then no, you will never enjoy it.

If there was some other hang up then idk, give it another shot. I play like 2 hours a month because it's just a casual "beat a map a month" kind of game so I'll let you know my final opinion when I finish it in 10 years.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Just about finished with Mooncrasher, I've done every task except three of the Memories. The game was neat but kind of underbaked - again, it's pitched as a roguelike, and so there's a lot of meta-progression stuff and you have to accumulate and spend points, but the game is just so easy that you don't have to spend that much - I never used more points than I gained, even in suicide runs. Two full clips of pistol ammo and a single shotgun ammo container is really all you need to defeat any enemy save for Nightmare and the Shark - Nightmare I didn't even unlock until just now where I did the five wins in a row. I'm not even close to having anyone's Nanomod upgrade chart even halfway full, and some characters I've have like a single upgrade. The game has a rising difficulty meter a la Risk of Rain, but I've never even been above Level 2, much less a maxed out 5 which is the highest difficulty but also will end the run. It was a neat 12 hour game or so, I'll probably finish it up tonight. Good for the like, five dollar price I got it for, but I cant imagine spending like 30+ when it was new

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
POE isn't a bad game but it's much more dry and falls into the 'let's do a low level d&D woods and caves campaign' poo poo, ala BG1. It's still got some good parts and the DLC is pretty good. I guess I've played through it twice but I'm a big idiot for RTWP crpgs so take that with a huge grain of salt.

I'd say try it for free and just drop it as a soon as you get bored.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Screw you meme I do what I want

SDR2 Chapter 2 Investigation:

All right Mahiru died at 3:00pm so basically everyone except me and Kazuichi is on the table. Though I guess we shoulda seen them come out past the diner which means it's just Hiyoko and Kuzuryu, unless some jinked on us

Don't you dare question Nanami's gamer cred, Hajime! Don't you dare!

Ooh! All the water bottles in the beachhouse have been used and Peko showed up at the diner soaking wet :thunkher:

Akane casually dropping stories about being sexually assaulted :gonk:

Ok so there's obviously this whole thing about getting out the beach house cause there's only one set of footprints and then there's the window too high to get out from. Hmm. They said a ninja could get out of it and Peko's kinda like a ninja? Oh but that still leaves Hiyoko AND Kuzuryu bugger

Yep Nanami is definitely my Kyoko this game

Monomi is the perfect example for why centrism doesn't work

loving hell I have no idea what's up with this Twlight Syndrome game

Yes yes Girl E killed her but WHAT HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

Ohhhhhhhh it was us! Everything makes sense now! So Mahiru's friend killed Kuzuryu's sister which definitely puts him front and centre on this one

Lol back on the serial killer bullshit whatevs game

Jesus there is so much extra poo poo being loaded on in this case. My gut still says Peko but gently caress if I can explain how she did it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

If real time with pause is why you bounced off then no, you will never enjoy it.

This is exactly why lol

I guess I will probably not like Tyranny either

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
oh yeah then don't bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rarity posted:

Screw you meme I do what I want

SDR2 Chapter 2 Investigation:

I think the first two or three investigations in DR1 are my favorite between the two games, but I do like DR2's mysteries. I think DR2 relies a little more heavily on the Phoenix Wright maneuver of finding out exactly what happened as the trial develops and as the killer slips up during examination instead of giving you every single clue during the actual investigation. There's also the issue that the game often has like, red herring culprits that you KNOW aren't right, but sometimes they're so obvious that maybe they know you know they aren't right? I mentioned multiple times in my DR1 posts that I knew exactly what happened during most of the investigations, but in 2 I would go into every trial being like man I dont fuckin know it could be like any of these four people