Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Actually they're superman flying 1 foot off the ground or something

Everytime you stop and walk they opine about how slow it is and "remember running?" "Geez, I can't even remember the last time I ran" and I was like :laffo: how are you not both 20stone

lordfrikk posted:

I played the demo and didn't get this feeling. The banter felt pretty good and not weird at all.

This. They've nailed the back-and-forth of being in a relationship with someone you're really familiar with and know each others cool stuff and pet peeves and poo poo, and are comfortable saying anything to each other.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hwurmp posted:

goons still recoiling from all social interaction and intimacy I see
Video games aren't social interaction, I'm good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
dating sims good

surc
Aug 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiyiaqlaiTA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1251460/Tanuki_Sunset/

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Realistic relationships in MY video games?! Well I never....

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

It's a commercial release of a free itch.io game you can play in your browser, just FYI.

https://squidsquadgames.itch.io/tanuki-sunset

surc
Aug 17, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's a commercial release of a free itch.io game you can play in your browser, just FYI.

https://squidsquadgames.itch.io/tanuki-sunset

Ah, had no idea. I stumbled on it looking for steam racing games a while back and wishlisted it, just got the email it was released this morning.
That's awesome though, wonder if it's better to support them through their patreon or by bumping steam sale numbers?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played a bit more of Haven. The relationship feels pretty natural for one that is beyond courtship phase and it 100% throws you into its world and its geopolitical situation without explaining things so if you don't like that, well tough. It has some weird inexplicable roughness and is obvious not a big budget game so like don't expect that but the "hold to confirm" mechanic is not good anywhere, least of all as a mechanic for enforcing turn time like the ATB system had a more dysfunctional baby.

The two characters also talk about, attempt to, or try to initiate loving quite a lot, so if you aren't expecting long discussions about the phrase "don't start pushing till the panties come off" well, surprise.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Hwurmp posted:

goons still recoiling from all social interaction and intimacy I see

It's not my fault 99% of these kind of games suck balls with relationships so I expect the worst. I'm on board with this game now after trying it out.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 4, 2020

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Is this set in the world of sayonara wild hearts or donut county?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Creeper World 4 came out yesterday! https://store.steampowered.com/app/848480/Creeper_World_4/

I found the others to be pretty inaccessible, but this one is really clicking for me so far. Its basically a tower defense/RTS kind of deal -- there is a giant virus fog thing you have to fight by building up infrastructure and towers etc. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into fighting vs the computer in RTSs or turtling :)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

tildes posted:

Creeper World 4 came out yesterday! https://store.steampowered.com/app/848480/Creeper_World_4/

I found the others to be pretty inaccessible, but this one is really clicking for me so far. Its basically a tower defense/RTS kind of deal -- there is a giant virus fog thing you have to fight by building up infrastructure and towers etc. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into fighting vs the computer in RTSs or turtling :)

I loved the early CW games. They were challenging* and free to play back when flash games on Kongregate were good.

I'd also still recommend the short metroidvania Flash -> Steam game collection Robot Wants it All

There were some surprisingly good Flash games that have moved to Steam or iOS and a lot more I'd like to see migrated.

*challenging with a real smooth learning curve just at higher levels the earlier games (haven't played 4) really push you like idk Starcraft when you had no idea

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I was super into Creeper World 3, the gameplay was unique and fun, and the plot was like a weird outsider art paperback scifi short story. I'll probably pick this up soon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Creeper World 2 is cool because where the others are top-down, that one is side-scrolling 2D. Full fluid physics on the creeper, too. It's the most unique game in the series, I think, and if you like unique experiences, that one is definitely that. Major recommendation.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Star Renegades.

JRPG combat meets Darkest Dungeon mechanics in a rogue-lite(?) with a great pixel art style rendered in a 3D engine. The campaign takes 2-4 hours, and when you finish you do it all over again from scratch except with new classes/class variants and equipment unlocked in the previous playthrough. Actions have consequences, party wipes end your current campaign and you have to start over again, but there's very little RNG so you can almost always solve problematic encounters. Decent fun, I did 13 campaign play throughs and have started chipping away at the five higher difficulty levels they just added.

It's early access, updates are fairly beefy and they seem to be sticking to their roadmap, but still you can probably wait for full release or nab it on sale unless it really sounds up your alley.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Chocobo posted:

Star Renegades.

JRPG combat meets Darkest Dungeon mechanics in a rogue-lite(?) with a great pixel art style rendered in a 3D engine. The campaign takes 2-4 hours, and when you finish you do it all over again from scratch except with new classes/class variants and equipment unlocked in the previous playthrough. Actions have consequences, party wipes end your current campaign and you have to start over again, but there's very little RNG so you can almost always solve problematic encounters. Decent fun, I did 13 campaign play throughs and have started chipping away at the five higher difficulty levels they just added.

It's early access, updates are fairly beefy and they seem to be sticking to their roadmap, but still you can probably wait for full release or nab it on sale unless it really sounds up your alley.

I'm not so big on pixel graphics, but i've really been looking at this for when I get a Switch.
Action is pretty cool looking.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

OgNar posted:

I'm not so big on pixel graphics, but i've really been looking at this for when I get a Switch.
Action is pretty cool looking.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/

Be warned, the third party partner that ported the game to Switch apparently hosed it up terribly. Performance drops to nothing, crashes are everywhere. They're working on it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Chocobo posted:

Be warned, the third party partner that ported the game to Switch apparently hosed it up terribly. Performance drops to nothing, crashes are everywhere. They're working on it.
Yeah, I excitedly bought the Switch version as soon as it came out because Austin Walker had been talking the game up, had to skip the intro cinematic because of audio issues but the tutorial mission ran all right at least. Haven't picked it up since though, hope they patch it soon. It seems pretty neat!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I loved the early CW games. They were challenging* and free to play back when flash games on Kongregate were good.

I'd also still recommend the short metroidvania Flash -> Steam game collection Robot Wants it All

There were some surprisingly good Flash games that have moved to Steam or iOS and a lot more I'd like to see migrated.

*challenging with a real smooth learning curve just at higher levels the earlier games (haven't played 4) really push you like idk Starcraft when you had no idea

Honestly playing 4 makes me feel like I didn’t give the earlier games enough of a try! The whole gameplay loop is super up my alley.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Shadow Empire is out on steam for the wargame grognards. Been playing it and it's a sci-fi mad-max version of dwarf fortress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think about 1/3rd of all the conversations, if not more, in Haven come back to loving and its kind of dragging down the writing for me. Im approaching a point where whenever they start talking Im mentally waiting for them to then segue into talking about loving instead of anything to do with their situation or solution.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are on their honeymoon and that's just not a very interesting relationship phase.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Barudak posted:

I think about 1/3rd of all the conversations, if not more, in Haven come back to loving and its kind of dragging down the writing for me. Im approaching a point where whenever they start talking Im mentally waiting for them to then segue into talking about loving instead of anything to do with their situation or solution.

Noticed this as well, along with the dialogue for combat being pretty repetitive (harvest time!).

Even with those caveats the game is charming as gently caress, and the core gameplay of flying around floating islands, listening to chill music and cleaning up pollution is very nice.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
being 20 and deeply in love owns to experience but is incredibly annoying to witness

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
has anyone tried the Last Spell

also I have been sucked into Star Renegades its great the visuals are top notch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haven's story is a little undercooked (Im at what appears to be end game and I have no idea how long these two have actually known each other or why exactly why they want to smash the state beyond "its dating service picked someone else") but the ongoing reinforcement that their universe does not follow any of the same fundamental underpinnings as ours is quite nice.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Per aspera is an incredibly slick and cool colony building sim in which you play an AI about to discover its own sentience. The soundtrack is also a real bop.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sjs00 posted:

has anyone tried the Last Spell

also I have been sucked into Star Renegades its great the visuals are top notch

No, but I see it has a demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/1105670/The_Last_Spell/. Looks neat enough to try.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

luxury handset posted:

being 20 and deeply in love owns to experience but is incredibly annoying to witness

I think it's sweet! :glomp:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Conquest of Go - I need someone to play this and tell me if it's actually good at teaching you how to play Go

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Haven's story is a little undercooked (Im at what appears to be end game and I have no idea how long these two have actually known each other or why exactly why they want to smash the state beyond "its dating service picked someone else") but the ongoing reinforcement that their universe does not follow any of the same fundamental underpinnings as ours is quite nice.

Laffo there was a bunch more to go and I still don't know why they hate the government so much but I have learned several positions they like loving in goddamit stop talking about loving.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do you need a reason to hate the government or enjoy loving?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
isn't the conceit of the story that the government is trying to take them apart. you would think an observer so fixated on the loving aspects of the game could imagine a reason why they would hate the government then.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 8, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Do you need a reason to hate the government [...]?

I do if you want to keep talking about it and having sexy revolutionary roleplay

Snooze Cruise posted:

isn't the conceit of the story that the government is trying to take them apart. you would think an observer so fixated on the loving aspects of the game could imagine a reason why they would hate the government then.

They fled the government because they didn't want to accept their matches. Sure, fine. Then they talk about abolishing their post scarcity conflict free 1,000 year social structure (and one of them comes from rulership class ultra privlege) not clear why they hate it beyond the matchmaking part. It also comes up that the government breeding program was established because there is some sort of genetic disease the population had and this prevented that from wiping them all out so just going "free love" is not inherintly viable in setting.

It basically comes across like to listening to 2 libertarian trust fund kids talk about politics and it suuuuucks

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Barudak posted:

They fled the government because they didn't want to accept their matches. Sure, fine. Then they talk about abolishing their post scarcity conflict free 1,000 year social structure (and one of them comes from rulership class ultra privlege) not clear why they hate it beyond the matchmaking part. It also comes up that the government breeding program was established because there is some sort of genetic disease the population had and this prevented that from wiping them all out so just going "free love" is not inherintly viable in setting.

I don't know where you're from but eugenics has a pretty bad rap around here. Are we sure there is an actual disease and it's not just, like, space nazi propaganda? I haven't actually played the game so I really can't say.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Haven sounds like pretty standard utopic fiction, where the world and society appear perfect on the surface but have dark undertones that the protagonists realize render the "perfection" of society invalid. You know, stuff like eugenics for instance.

Plus if you need more reason for a couple in love to want to tear down society than "our love, which is the most important (and horniest, apparently) thing in existence, is forbidden" then, uh, I feel like there's a whole lot of fiction that just isn't gonna work for you.

I haven't played the game though, these are just thoughts based on this thread.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

I don't know where you're from but eugenics has a pretty bad rap around here. Are we sure there is an actual disease and it's not just, like, space nazi propaganda? I haven't actually played the game so I really can't say.

Because characters don't talk about things I have no idea. I assume its all propaganda because this game isn't exactly going for untrod ground but Ive soured so much on the writing that Ive decided to take the most uncharitable reading possible.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Barudak posted:

Because characters don't talk about things I have no idea. I assume its all propaganda because this game isn't exactly going for untrod ground but Ive soured so much on the writing that Ive decided to take the most uncharitable reading possible.

Just as a counter perspective I’m what feels like pretty close to the endgame and while there is the occasional bit of dialogue that doesn’t quite land the vast majority is just... a nice, healthy relationship. It’s lovely, it’s refreshing.

It’s by no means a perfect game but it’s just so nice.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Isn't there a genre of (anime) fiction where a large world changing event is a metaphor of the relationship between two persons? This feels like part of that sort of stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

please knock Mom! posted:

Per aspera is an incredibly slick and cool colony building sim in which you play an AI about to discover its own sentience. The soundtrack is also a real bop.
I was looking forward to this for ages but now it only has ‘Mixed’ reviews I’m not sure if I should jump on it or not 😕

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Conquest of Go - I need someone to play this and tell me if it's actually good at teaching you how to play Go
Oh neat, I’d like to know more as well. Shame it’s Windows-only, this would be a perfect game for me to play on my laptop while my partner is grinding away at Spelunky 2