Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woofer posted:

You’re making people hate you and not give a poo poo about your cause.

that's kind of like the people who said they voted Trump because BLM protests inconvenienced them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Because the first goal of any mlmp post is to stir poo poo and be obnoxious. vOv.

I had to imdb him to remember he played Poe in the new star wars. This is also the first i'm hearing of a Metal Gear Solid movie. Any word on if they're going to try and play it straight, or are they just trying to kojima up a movie?

He’s also going to be Moon Knight, another one from the stable that Disney got from Fox.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Flying_Crab posted:

that's kind of like the people who said they voted Trump because BLM protests inconvenienced them.

SHUT THE gently caress UP

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Woofer posted:

You’re making people hate you and not give a poo poo about your cause.

This is essentially the same argument used to tell people to be nice to CHUDs because it's too mean to their feelings to talk about how the economy is deeply unfair and racism is a massive problem. It is gentler to people not to talk about racism or public safety or tax reform, but that doesn't mean it's good to just tell people that if they don't like the situation, they need to shut the gently caress up, because change is inconvenient.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/news...%20only%202%25.

quote:

Pedestrians are projected to account for 17% of all traffic deaths in 2019, compared to 12% in 2009. While pedestrian deaths have been increasing significantly over the past decade, the number of all other traffic deaths has increased by only 2%. A statistical projection of traffic fatalities for the first half of 2019 (conducted by NHTSA) shows an estimated 3.4% reduction in overall traffic fatalities compared to the first half of 2018. Although advancements in motor vehicle safety and technology have increased survivability for vehicle occupants involved in crashes, pedestrians remain just as susceptible to sustaining serious or fatal injuries when struck by a motor vehicle.

Pedestrian death is disproportionately on the rise in recent years. This is something that can be affected often at the local level! People should talk about it with their reps, city councils, etc. They shouldn't back down from reforming civic planning and enforcement just because it might annoy motorists.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Flying_Crab posted:

Truly this nation has two original sins - the enslavement and subsequent apartheid cruelty to Black Americans, and our historic mistreatment of cyclists.

Lol at making the CE events your soapbox for city planning. Why not, I dunno, a city council meeting? Maybe do something actually in your community if these issues effect you so directly?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

This is essentially the same argument used to tell people to be nice to CHUDs because it's too mean to their feelings to talk about how the economy is deeply unfair and racism is a massive problem. It is gentler to people not to talk about racism or public safety or tax reform, but that doesn't mean it's good to just tell people that if they don't like the situation, they need to shut the gently caress up, because change is inconvenient.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/news...%20only%202%25.

Pedestrian death is disproportionately on the rise in recent years. This is something that can be affected often at the local level! People should talk about it with their reps, city councils, etc. They shouldn't back down from reforming civic planning and enforcement just because it might annoy motorists.

I’m not reading any of this because like I said, I hate you now and don’t care. I would’ve cared if it was in the bike thread. Now I don’t.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That sounds pretty methy

I read that as a Mike Tyson type lisp, for messy. Laughed my rear end off at Mike saying “That sounds pretty methy”.

Thanks for the cheap laugh, I needed it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

McNally's going to swing back by this thread later and be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Unfortunate bad news. Current event: pedestrian deaths are on the rise the last several years.

It is literally a current event and public safety problem.

People disregard thousands of fatalities by calling it “bike chat.” hosed up imo.

Fuckin lmao I remember this used word for word durring the April copchat halt.

Stay at home order in Los Angeles seems more legit this week. Just got the week off from my latest notajob. Two neighbors mentioned that something changed because of the order. Less drastic than spring lockdown, same confused energy.

Edit: I am here mostly for bikechat tho. Fight that crusade!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

It's a message vote, it's not going anywhere in the Senate to the best of my knowledge.

But, the leopards hunger for faces to eat.

https://twitter.com/rudygiuliani/status/1334928653889761281

What is Rudy even bitching about now?

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1334928245075156994?s=19

Hope none of you needed that stimulus for bills or anything.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 4, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been any word from Operation Warp Speed with regards to when the general public will begin receiving these vaccines that are getting authorized shortly?

I watched the 60 minutes segment on OWS, and it was way more reassuring than anything I’ve seen on the news in YEARS. But that was weeks ago, and there’s like... no word on when John Q. Regular Person gets a vaccination shot. Is it weeks from now? Months? Longer than 6 months? A year?

I don’t loving know. But if you do, please, tell me what you know. Please and Thank You.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

What is Rudy even bitching about now?

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1334928245075156994?s=19

Hope none of you needed that stimulus for bills or anything.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1334894822470070277

... :what:

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Has there been any word from Operation Warp Speed with regards to when the general public will begin receiving these vaccines that are getting authorized shortly?

I watched the 60 minutes segment on OWS, and it was way more reassuring than anything I’ve seen on the news in YEARS. But that was weeks ago, and there’s like... no word on when John Q. Regular Person gets a vaccination shot. Is it weeks from now? Months? Longer than 6 months? A year?

I don’t loving know. But if you do, please, tell me what you know. Please and Thank You.

I do consulting at the dept of health and I hear a lot of rumors, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. This is also stuff I heard before Pfizer said their supply chain broke down.

Things should start getting better in the spring with essential workers and high risk people, but don’t expect Johnny Q. Nobody to be able to get a vaccine until the end of the summer at the earliest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I had to imdb him to remember he played Poe in the new star wars. This is also the first i'm hearing of a Metal Gear Solid movie. Any word on if they're going to try and play it straight, or are they just trying to kojima up a movie?

No idea. Scripts have been kicking around for years so who knows how serious they are this time. There’s some discussion in the Metal Gear thread in Games too.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Ah yes because from her ivory tower she can't see the people starving in the streets in the interim.

Godamn I hate Pelosi.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Less than 5% of the 207m dollars trump has raised post-election has been used to contest the election and a little more than 1% of the total has been used on legal fees.

brains
May 12, 2004

I Can't Believe It's Not Bikechat

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I cannot recall if this came up here yesterday (or CSPAM or Discord or the actual paper) but it is gonna be awhile for genpop

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

quote:

Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind 268.7 million people across the United States.

When it comes to North Carolina, we think you’re behind 8.5 million others who are at higher risk in your state.

Edit: From Mr Nice's post - Speaking of money not going where it should

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1334870858196774917?s=20

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dems taking the deal now isn't a bad idea, game-theory wise. Look at the matrix of results.

code:
			Dems win Senate			GOP wins Senate
Accept $900b		get $900b + dem bill		get $900b and nothing in 2021-
Don't accept $900b	get dem bill			get nothing in 2021-
Accepting $900b is strictly better than not accepting it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Less than 5% of the 207m dollars trump has raised post-election has been used to contest the election and a little more than 1% of the total has been used on legal fees.

I always wondered what are the rules on unspent campaign funds. Like in normal circumstances, not Trump fraud, you run raise $5 million, spend $4 million (including all debts and charges remaining), what happens with the remaining $1 million.

pmchem posted:

Dems taking the deal now isn't a bad idea, game-theory wise. Look at the matrix of results.

code:

Would have been nice to have some direct payments in there...but no we can’t have that.

They should at least be preparing a standalone stimulus bill.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 4, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I always wondered what are the rules on unspent campaign funds. Like in normal circumstances, not Trump fraud, you run raise $5 million, spend $4 million (including all debts and charges remaining), what happens with the remaining $1 million.

Would have been nice to have some direct payments in there...but no we can’t have that.

Real talk: You spend it on “consultants” who are very near and dear to you, and who are willing to act as a pass through for a cut.

I’m not even being a little funny here, that poo poo really does happen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real talk: You spend it on “consultants” who are very near and dear to you, and who are willing to act as a pass through for a cut.

I’m not even being a little funny here, that poo poo really does happen.

Oh I figured as much, I was just wondering in the purely legal sense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That money is superpac money for the most part, and they've paid Ivanka and such millions in consulting fees.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Somewhat sad current event: Black Panther star Letitia Wright (Shuri) posting ridiculous vaccine misinformation

https://twitter.com/gwenstacying/status/1334703234280255489?s=19

https://twitter.com/gwenstacying/status/1334716626667757568?s=19

Disappointing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It was commented today that "direct payments have no lobbyist in DC" and them being left out is probably not a coincidence. Also a *lot* of people are forgetting that the $1.7T offer had a LOT of Republican-priority garbage in it (like no employer liability), so the dollar figure alone doesn't cut it.

But anyways, have two SHUT THE gently caress UP DONNIE, YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT stories:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1334956230775861257

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1334955569128624131

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think it's good for Donnie when a federal judge is asking "why the gently caress is this state issue in front of me?".

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1334954773473275904

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

judge: :vincefrog:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

It's a message vote, it's not going anywhere in the Senate to the best of my knowledge.

But, the leopards hunger for faces to eat.

https://twitter.com/rudygiuliani/status/1334928653889761281

I was with my dad earlier today, who insists on listening to Rush Limbaugh, and Rush was chiding "Republicans" for hanging Trump out to dry and not doing enough to get the results overturned.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

actual video of trump's lawyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMuh33BMZYY

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Suffer in yer jocks!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I remember there was about a week or two of Donnie actually having decent lawyers on this poo poo. What I can't decide is which made more of an impact - the lawyers seeing how dumb all this was (and turning down the money?!), or groups like The Lincoln Project doxxing the absolute gently caress out of the lawyers that attached their names to the lawsuits.

The end result is this either way:

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1334961330885804033

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1334949104930213889

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

pmchem posted:

code:

this has to be the dumbest post i've read and i didn't skip through bike chat

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I exploded laughing when I saw the fuckup.

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1334952803656151040

DECLARATION OF FACIALIMPEDIMENT

I, facialimpediment 'm gay

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 4, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

this has to be the dumbest post i've read and i didn't skip through bike chat

I mean honestly he's not wrong.

The key thing to remember is that the main stumbling block throughout the spring, summer, and fall towards getting a new stimulus is Senate Republicans. Even when Pelosi was negotiating with Mnuchin in September and October, it was clear that that nothing they'd agreed to would pass through the Senate—and the only things in McConnell's counter-proposal were things like PPP and the insane "waive COVID liabilities for businesses" proposal.

Now, there's a "Framework" that at least some Senate Republicans can agree to. And key point: This is not an actual bill. It's literally a list of "we can agree on something around these numbers I guess" Like:

This is it. This is the "Bipartisan framework."

It's bad and terribly insufficient, but it may also be the only thing that can get passed in the next month and a half before Biden takes office, and it's not nothing. For the Dems there's also the benefit that when Biden does take office, they'll be the ones distributing and managing funds, so there's less chance for PPP money to fall down Mnuchin's Black Hole of Graft (Which is what happened with the last round of stimulus). And if the Dems do take the Senate, nothing is stopping them from approving another, larger stimulus package with additional checks and more money for unemployment (Which is something that both Ossoff and Warnock are campaigning on). And if it falls through and Senate Republicans torpedo the deal (Which I think is pretty likely, considering how many details still need to be hashed out), at least the Dems can say they tried.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Trump's attempt to take troops out of Germany was bad and dumb but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

https://www.stripes.com/news/africa/trump-orders-the-withdrawal-of-the-majority-of-us-troops-in-somalia-1.654243

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be the only step.
Somalia is a policy failure and money pit and an incredible object lesson in "sunk cost fallacy." We really should recognize Somaliland and just leave Mogadishu to re-collapse.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ozkaterji/status/1334791784564723712?s=21

I’m sure Flynn is heartbroken over this...explains why he wants martial law. lol

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 5, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Woofer posted:

I might end my t-break to celebrate if I’m not getting trolled.

Call me if they pass this with a Dem senate.

Otherwise it's just performative.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
New lockdown in effect for my county.

quote:

To slow the spread of COVID-19 and prevent healthcare systems from being overwhelmed, Contra Costa County, along with five other Bay Area counties, has implemented the State’s Regional Stay Home Order. The following changes are effective Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 10 p.m. through Monday, January 4, 2021 at 6 a.m.:

Restaurants and other foodservice may operate for take-out, curbside pickup or delivery only

Bars, brewpubs, breweries, pubs, craft distilleries, wineries and tasting rooms must close

Indoor retail, including grocery stores, may operate at 20% capacity

Indoor shopping malls may operate at 20% capacity, but close food courts and common areas

Low-contact indoor retail services (pet grooming, shoe repair, etc.) are allowed for curbside drop-off and pick-up only

Personal care services, including nail and hair salons, must close

Places of worship and cultural ceremonies may operate outdoors only. Indoor operations are allowed only for individual prayer/counseling.

Gyms and fitness centers may operate outdoors only. Outdoor fitness classes are allowed with distancing and face coverings and without running groups. One-to-one personal training is allowed following the limited services guidance only when no other individuals are on the business premises.

Drive-in events, including performances and drive-in movies, may not operate

Museums and exhibit spaces must close.

Hotels and lodging facilities may operate for essential travel only unless the reservation is for at least the minimum time period required for quarantine and the persons identified in the reservation will quarantine in the hotel or lodging entity until after that time period has expired

Casinos and cardrooms must close

Family entertainment centers must close

Playgrounds must close

Overnight stays at campgrounds are not allowed

Outdoor recreation facilities (sports fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, golf courses, skate parks, etc.) may operate with no mixing of households and no food or beverages

Got a nice blasting message on my phone about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CainFortea posted:

Ya'all know they're gonna get state level pardons too to "further the healing of the divide in america" right?

NY hates trump though? Not just the city right