Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Welp In about two hours (one hour into my closing shift) the local government is going to announce new covid procedures (I’m guessing a 28 day lockdown) because our cases are violently spiking.

Are you somewhere that actually gives financial assistance to people out of work so they don't starve to death on the streets, or America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dishwasher from our sister store next door started picking up some hours with us last week, as a trainee line cook. He called out today because it turns out his roommate has been in contact with covid, so he' s going to get tested.

Sure glad we're doing catering pick-ups for Thanksgiving tomorrow! Enjoy your hotel pan of corn pudding (advertised as serving 20-24 people, so you KNOW the type of people who are ordering that) with a side of virus!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I miss writing Spanish profanity on the sesame mustard with sriracha for servers' shift meals. Also, motherfucking los tigres de norte live at folsom prison soundtrack. Hopefully, when I go fully independent I can bring on la raza.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Are you somewhere that actually gives financial assistance to people out of work so they don't starve to death on the streets, or America?

Canada, so half.

Update: government didn’t go for a shutdown, just a bunch of half measures. People are dying.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Canada, so half.

Update: government didn’t go for a shutdown, just a bunch of half measures. People are dying.

Alberta*, so less than half

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Alberta*, so less than half

*video clip of jason Kenny saying “we’re finally ready to start doing the bare minimum”*

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
We were totally dead this weekend.

I guess it's up to us to determine whether it's because of thanksgiving leftovers or people traveling or people being afraid to go out again.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1C_a2gPAvk

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What's going to happen when half the cooks on Earth lose their sense of smell or taste because of covid? "Taste this. Is it ready? Is it good? More salt?" I have no loving idea, I might be permanently hosed up from a virus.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

We closed for the weekend because because one staff member is confirmed positive and others are very likely exposed.

I mean ownership does actually care about this at least. I could do a lot worse in this industry.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

What's going to happen when half the cooks on Earth lose their sense of smell or taste because of covid? "Taste this. Is it ready? Is it good? More salt?" I have no loving idea, I might be permanently hosed up from a virus.

You may have to add more salt to your food.

Please do not factor that into your tip.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Now imagine the customer s that will be sending food back because it tastes balnd.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Animal-Mother posted:

this is almost literally the plot to Perfect Sense (2011).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Animal-Mother posted:

Shut up and eat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9QRYWEXz8&t=67s

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Halfway through my shift last Saturday I started requiring frequent bathroom trips, starting hacking like I'd been smoking 20 years, and got a huge migrane. I've been home since still waiting for test results, but since I still have the same symptoms five days later I think it's probably just a formality. I'd expect a cold or regular flu to have changed in some way by now. I can't imagine what my positive test is going to do to the schedule. I'm already the only person willing to close more than twice a week, and the person I work most with is the one who closes the other two.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FFT posted:

this is almost literally the plot to Perfect Sense (2011).

Oh God, don't let the conspiracy theory people get wind of this.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Well now I just want to play Jet Set Radio Future again

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You can remind people over and over again to keep at least six feet apart while working or taking a break and they just... won't? Don't? We're going to get shut down.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Got headhunted into a GM job two weeks ago by a guy who knew I was back in MN. The previous GM drank openly, and with a clique of closing staff. He walked out because a fentanyl addict driver didn't show up for a shift. I don't know the exact circumstances but if this was the straw that broke the camel's back it was pretty light because the online and phone orders were all shut off - the GM and opening manager simply only had to help a customer if they walked into the store. Kick back and relax. They said gently caress that, and both quit. Two of the other four known drinkers were on covid leave and just returned two days ago - one driver, one closing manager. My owner has three restaurants and I took over the slowest. I stole a powerful opening manager from our only direct competitor, and they're now forced to close early so we're getting absolutely slammed like last night when we set a sales record for the day and I went through almost all the stock I had. I knew today was going to be rough and I was on the phone all morning badly sourcing ingredients even after outright commandeering lots from other stores I had keys to early in the morning so I expected an 18 hour day.

I get into the store at 9:25 and start turning on equipment before walking into the office and I immediately see two unopened beers. Now, we get overnight deliveries and surprise inspections even during closed hours and I'm expecting one any minute. I turn around because I hear a banging on the door - my morning driver is a half hour early and had worked late the prior night like everyone else. I walk him right into the office and ask him what he knows about the beer.

A driver brought it for the manager, the two aforementioned drinkers, left it for him as a tip.

I say I never want to see this again and grab the can immediately.

And that's when everything went wrong.

No idea what dinged it. the nearby modem is smooth. But this loving coors light punctures and beer is now spraying on my uniform, apron, keyboard, monitor, back wall, desk, and finally saturates the garbage as it joins the rest of the trash bag.

My driver immediately gets a sani bucket going while I start screaming how I'm gonna drag the manager in to clean this up now. I'm livid for about twenty second. I'm gonna call him, I yell. Driver is wiping down the office. I walk in, get the beer out of my life, walk outside into the 12 degree weather and instead call my younger sis, an ex Nordstrom cafe GM. She gets me to shut the gently caress up quickly and says document it or call your boss and don't call anyone else involved then get the office cleaned then get back to prep and hangs up. I tell my driver to expect a call and get ahold of my DM and explain everything and call my driver to validate. She never does, and later offers more help sourcing. I'm meanwhile freaking out about how hosed I would have been if my driver didn't come in early and walked in as scheduled to an office reeking of cheap beer, but get over this when I realize three people already saw that beer and began focusing on prep. I call in another driver who is good at prep because I keep getting distracted by urges of violence.

He comes in. Smells lie beer in here, he says, we tell him how we know and what happened and this old Irish Vietnam vet begins laughing. And we like to see him laughing lately, as he had a huge recent loss in his family that caused him to take a week of time off. Our owner still paid him. He gets to cleaning this huge mess perfectly for me and gets to prep. No more stench.

I find time to do one last correction that an inspector would dock us points on: some of our grid shaped ceiling tiles needed washing and I pulled down all nine. One was off color and I ran next door for a straypaint can and a plan, as it got up to 35 outside by then. I stuff it in the office and get back to something urgent I forgot. Next thing I know the place stinks like spray paint. Here is by other driver, overwhelmed still in grief, standing there with a huge grin in a cloud of white in my back prep area. He painted the grid tile. Like it? He says, and he clearly reads that I am horrified despite saying nothing. I run to the front and open the door. I shut every other door in the place, then beg and borrow a fan from the coffee shop. My driver asks what's wrong and all I want to do is keep him unagitated and not at all uncomfortable and just be all like well we cant have spraypaint in the store and I'm gonna do by best to get it out now. He begins apologizing profusely and I tell him 0% issue, lets get back to work.

Nothing sexy about this part, but the sewage backed up a bit in the bathroom too. Nothing a mop didn't fix. All stenches gone.

In the end we didn't get an inspection and throughout the night I walked everyone in for a one on one about the accident, saying no one is in trouble, just never let me see it or its instant termination because of what it can do and how it can ruin both day and a whole office.

Early on, one driver gives me pushback. But I didn't do it, he says, after this explanation. I say step back, this isn't a crusade, no one is in trouble and you don't even know who did it. You did not do this. What I'm telling you is, whatever this store was before, its no longer that store. No beer.

He repeats, But I didn't do it,

I've yelled but never directly at any staff member yet and I finally broke that moment. Look, if having beer in the store or not is a deal breaker for you, there's the door, otherwise, there's the dishpit. Go. Customers hear this, some laugh. My staff jeers him. He began scrubbing and I walk to the line into a record breaking Saturday with a motivated team that all made a ton of cash and went home hopefully a little smarter.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 6, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
You sprayed beer everywhere and started screaming at someone else?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

droll posted:

You sprayed beer everywhere and started screaming at someone else?

I reread this whole mess twice and I'm still not sure what happened. There sounds like a lot of "on the verge of a mental breakdown" red flags but I'm glad everyone made money and I hope you can use some of that money to get some mental help for the silent killer that ravages the food industry parthenocarpy.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

parthenocarpy posted:

Smells like beer spirit

Not gonna lie, I’m not a big fan of your writing style.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Disargeria posted:

There sounds like a lot of "on the verge of a mental breakdown" red flags
Yeahhhhhh is it ever normal procedure to spray paint ceiling tiles?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeahhhhhh is it ever normal procedure to spray paint ceiling tiles?

It's not covered in the servsafe course, but I'm gonna say no.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm not 100% sure what happened there, but maybe you need to not be managing. Like for your own health.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Mezzanon posted:

Not gonna lie, I’m not a big fan of your writing style.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was the beer like tampered with to explode on you, because I'm not sure what the problem was otherwise. I understand the not wanting people drinking there on or off the clock, but you said the beer was unopened. Does your place not sell alcohol, because everywhere I've worked had alcohol reps dropping random bottles off as samplers constantly.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

parthenocarpy posted:

...our grid shaped ceiling tiles needed washing and I pulled down all nine. One was off color and I ran next door for a straypaint can and a plan...

You were the one who got the spray paint, apparently for use on the tiles. Where did this other guy deviate from your plan?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I'm gonna guess that it's a pizza delivery franchise which means no alcohol sales and DEFINITELY no alcohol on premises. Plus the fact that the driver dropped it off as a "tip" probably indicates that this guy took over a store where drivers were routinely delivering under the influence (with management approval) so I get the reaction.

And when you spray paint ceiling tiles, you're supposed to do it outside. Yes, it's really dumb and rarely worth the effort, but if the owner is a cheapskate then sometimes it's the only option when you can't get grease stains out.

I think most of this guy's stress is because he's two weeks into fixing a store and is beginning to wrap his head around just how hosed it is...

(fire everyone, start over bro)

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 7, 2020

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
oh God I can't imagine working in a food service job with drinkers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Of the few times I briefly conceived I might move to management it absolutely wouldn't be at a pizza delivery franchise.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You should not be managing people

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This thread will take your side on any issue. Doesn't matter how wrong you were, how criminal you are, or how wasted you were that week. This thread has your back

.... unless you're an owner or *shudder* one of those class traitors, a manager.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its not even that he's a manager its that he appears to be all over the place and really emotional and stressed about ~everything~. If his actual behavior is anything like his writing style I'm terrified for anyone working under him.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

captkirk posted:

.... unless you're an owner or *shudder* one of those class traitors, a manager.

I've been management in every job I've worked for the last decade and nothing in that story sounds healthy or ok to me, but you do you I guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

captkirk posted:

This thread will take your side on any issue. Doesn't matter how wrong you were, how criminal you are, or how wasted you were that week. This thread has your back

Managers can be good in certain circumstances but owners are literally just profiteers (or at least attempting to be) no matter how you look at it

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Managers can be good in certain circumstances but owners are literally just profiteers (or at least attempting to be) no matter how you look at it

I got my start in a restaurant that was just opening with new owners (lots of business and industry experience, but never the owner before). My first day in a professional kitchen was opening night actually. Anyway...

They started out as idealized caring bosses, strict as poo poo when the place was slammed but going out of their way to care for the employees. By the time I left six years later they had driven multiple employees away by being huge jerks, they were taking a share of tips, all the little extras had melted away...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mithross posted:

I got my start in a restaurant that was just opening with new owners (lots of business and industry experience, but never the owner before). My first day in a professional kitchen was opening night actually. Anyway...

They started out as idealized caring bosses, strict as poo poo when the place was slammed but going out of their way to care for the employees. By the time I left six years later they had driven multiple employees away by being huge jerks, they were taking a share of tips, all the little extras had melted away...

Owners taking tips is flat out illegal im pretty sure almost everywhere. But hey, wage theft is bigger than all other types of theft combined and almost never dealt with as a criminal act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Do any of you have any experience with small co-ops (as an owner)? I've always wondered how that would work for food service.