Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There should've been an additional scene where Discovery just followed them in warp and blew them up.

Admiral Vance is gonna be real mad you did the right thing by protecting those people but also left this mess for everyone else! You gotta take care of the loose ends Saru.

I think ships can't fire in warp. It was a big deal in...ugh...Into Darkness that the Vengeance could do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think ships can't fire in warp. It was a big deal in...ugh...Into Darkness that the Vengeance could do it.

Didn't they do it in Voyager? I will admit I am not 100% sure but I am probably mistaken and wrong.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
"Canon" is only torps in warp, no phasers. Chances of that being relevant on Discovery: 0.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

"Canon" is only torps in warp, no phasers. Chances of that being relevant on Discovery: 0.

And VOY and ENT broke that rule a lottttttt

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There should've been an additional scene where Discovery just followed them in warp and blew them up.

Admiral Vance is gonna be real mad you did the right thing by protecting those people but also left this mess for everyone else! You gotta take care of the loose ends Saru.

I feel like any reprisal will be automatically defused when they shove forward the guy with the incredibly vital intelligence

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mike McMahan on LDS S2's status

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cross-Section posted:

And VOY and ENT broke that rule a lottttttt

I feel like any reprisal will be automatically defused when they shove forward the guy with the incredibly vital intelligence

ENT didn't have "phasers" sooooo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

let the wild speculation begin!

My guess is Alexander

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I liked and wish they did more with is that since the Burn isolated worlds have started to develop their own societies and cultures. Books homeworld seemed pretty i touch with the forest they lived in, their dart guns were mostly wood, and such.

I also like to think that there were Betazeds on their planet and they intermarried with the humans why book and his bro have empathic abilities.

Detmer ace combat pilot should happen more often. I honestly think she and the rest of the bridge crew have more lines in each episode lately than they did the entire first two seasons.

Though I do hope this is the end of Book centric episodes. I'm getting that feeling I have when a character is introduced and the writing staff thinks is amazing and everyone loves them and so they put them front and center ahead of the established characters. I mean, i like book but I would rather more focus be on the Discovery crew.

Also someone give Adira a provision starfleet rank and a proper uniform. They deserve something better than that speed suit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My guess is Alexander

Yeah, that absolutely sounds like it's going to be a character we'll know. Alexander is a good call. Ro Laren?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

post-Nemesis Alexander feels like they’d be such a blank slate they could do whatever they want with him too

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My guess is Alexander

Comedy option: Worf again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nog

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I thought that sending Detmer off in Books ship was an attempt at plausible deniablity for Discovery wasn't to convince Osira, but it was for Vance and Starfleet.
Like next episode there's going to be a scene where Vance chews out Saru for not being able to control his crew and he can say to the Emerald Chain that it was an unauthorised action taken by a rogue officer. It's still a paper thin excuse but it's slightly better than thinking that it was supposed to fool Osira that it wasn't a deliberate attack on Discovery's part.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

There's no way they'll recast him.

It's a real bummer we'll never see him on Lower Decks, since it seems like Eisenberg would have loved to do it.

My guess for the new security chief: Tasha Yar, somehow returned from the dead!

Comedy option: Harry Kim.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Deep deep dive guess: the new security officer is George Primmin.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Real fence-swinging guess:

Comedy option:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Legit question for Star Trek nerds, have Kirk, Picard, Janeway, etc., ever actually suffered lasting consequences from disobeying Starfleet or the Federation?

Saru's actions, while dissapointing, seem pretty standard Star Trek fare.

Both Kirk and Picard were both basically forced out but they are realistically to famous in the Federation/known universe wide to really be punished for anything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I want it to be ro too!

Did anyone else notice that when Saru was looking at the map it was clearly a map of Iceland? Not even vaguely different, just iceland

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's no way they'll recast him.

It's a real bummer we'll never see him on Lower Decks, since it seems like Eisenberg would have loved to do it.

My guess for the new security chief: Tasha Yar, somehow returned from the dead!

Comedy option: Harry Kim.

True

We'll just have to settle for Garak

comedy option, Jake

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Long-shot bet: it's Sito Jaxa. Didn't one or two DS9 episodes start life as pitches to bring her back?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Marshal Radisic posted:

Long-shot bet: it's Sito Jaxa. Didn't one or two DS9 episodes start life as pitches to bring her back?

oh yeah, that's a good guess

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Marshal Radisic posted:

Her last appearance was in the TNG episode 'Lower Decks'. It's all connected!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m guessing it’ll be worf and he’ll be promoted to a captaincy at some point, finally getting Dorn what he’s wanted for like 50 years.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

The Bloop posted:

Comedy option:

:doit:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

well why not posted:

I’m guessing it’ll be worf and he’ll be promoted to a captaincy at some point, finally getting Dorn what he’s wanted for like 50 years.

Doesn't he wind up captain of the Enterprise as per Picard?

I feel like, given his career trajectory, him being chief of security of what's probably exceeded only by the Miranda-class as the Redshirt of Starfleet vessels would be a bit of a backwards step for him. Even if it would be funny.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wasn't Sito Jaxa the one who was presumed KIA on a covert mission? Like the episode ended with Picard giving her eulogy? Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

also Worf, Again, would be amazing but I think he's already accounted for around this time?

Ro Laren would be an interesting choice but I don't really see how they could get consistent comedy out of her. Alexander kind of writes himself, but I'd hope they could keep him funny without just turning him into a sad sack for the show to constantly punch down on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wasn't Sito Jaxa the one who was presumed KIA on a covert mission? Like the episode ended with Picard giving her eulogy? Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

more MIA I would say. Nobody saw her die, they base their conclusion on the Cardassians saying they blew up her pod. The TNG writers definitely left themselves a way out there in case anyone ever wanted to bring her back.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay that was a bad Discovery episode. Towards the end Staments says "well I guess there's nothing to do but wait for the algorithm to finish".

That scene should have been at the start of the episode, and Saru should have said "okay it looks like we need to level up a bit before the main quest will progress. We'll do one side quest and a little bit of the companion quest of the woman who's not the same alignment as us and we don't actually use in the party that much. Who's got a hook for the side quest?" That's the episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This show has had a dearth of Jett Reno recently

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Drink-Mix Man posted:

As a bonus, I like that since they're a Trill, the pronoun "they" sort of makes grammatical sense in the old school way too :downs:

Yeah, that was a nice touch. And it helps me and my old man brain.

Honestly, it's going to take a while for me to get used to "they" being used as a 3rd person singular pronoun. People my age grew up with grammar teachers who really leaned into English's terminal case of Latin Envy. One symptom of Latin Envy is the nonsense about not ending sentences with prepositions. But another was the rigid classification of pronouns, and we were corrected every time we said "they" when referring to a single person in the third person. I do wish we had another word to use, though, because it can be a little confusing. Not so much the "they" part, but the verb part. For example, when Elliot Page came out as trans and non-binary, the problem with "they" and verb agreement came up right away. Check out the first paragraph in the article:

quote:

On Tuesday, the Oscar-nominated star of movies like "Juno" and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" shared with fans that they are transgender and identify as non-binary, a term used to describe a person whose gender identity is neither man nor woman.

So it would appear that I, as a fan of Elliot, am now trans and non-binary. I guess that's OK--I mean, I think I have to be OK with it or else I'm a bigot--but honestly, I have a problem with somebody telling me what my gender identity is. I'm a dude. Or I was? But the point is, isn't that up to me to decide? Isn't that the whole drat point? Why does Elliot get to declare that all of his fans are trans and non-binary? Elliot just moved down a few notches on my Favorite Elliots list, which is a shame because he was just added. (And according to the sources I've seen, Elliot is fine with "they" and "he.")

So... silliness aside, I have an honest question here, and non-binary folks, please help me out if you can: I'm fine with "they" as a singular third-person pronoun, but how do we handle the verb? Because if we are indeed using it as a singular, third-person, personal pronoun, shouldn't it conjugate like it does with he, she, and it?

This is a serious question; I'd like to get this right. I mean, "Elliot says that they is non-binary" would be perfectly correct, but it sounds wrong because we're so used to only using "they" as a plural pronoun. Conversely, "Elliot says that they are non-binary" sounds correct, but as in my quote above, it creates confusion (who or what are the things or people that are non-binary? or is it Elliot?). My opinion is that we should lean hard into "is" in this case to force ourselves to get used to "they" as a gender-neutral singular third person pronoun that's not "it."

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 5, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There are other gender-neutral pronouns such as xie/xer, but they’re a little clunky sounding.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the tone of your post is not very TNG dude. There’s a massive thread on Elliot in GBS which had covered this beyond exhaustion. Check it out.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nobody cares about formal english dude it’s the 21st century, language has evolved past that poo poo

and it’s gonna be security chief neelix

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The definition of words is descriptive rather than prescriptive. So if they is used as NB then that’s the definition. Meaning follows usage.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My guess is Alexander

Jeffrey Coobs!!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bilirubin posted:

Jeffrey Coobs!!!

Literally just the actor Jeffrey Combs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My guess is Alexander

I'm hoping that it's a character that looks and acts almost exactly Shaxs but is totally a new and distinct character. Oh and also has Fred Tatasciore's voice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Literally just the actor Jeffrey Combs

Christian Slater. He's just called Slater.

e: but seriously that interview triggers all my worst fears that it's going to be some callback character which I'm sure will be a wonderful and loving piece of fanservice but will do absolutely nothing to pull together the show together into a cohesive whole.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 5, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It’s Lt. Hawk, unassimilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hed posted:

It’s Lt. Hawk, unassimilated.

Only if he's played by Neal McDonough and he brings that Damien Darhk energy to the role.