Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BAKER VS TOO LEGIT 69428 99.80%
TEAM TAZ VS DARBY CODY 6 0.01%
BATTLE ROYAL 37 0.05%
KENNY VS MOX 99 0.14%
Total: 69570 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

They should do a crossover with a company on IWTV so that they can get enough money to build a better video player and maybe a functioning app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rantmo posted:

They should do a crossover with a company so that they can get enough money to build a better video player and maybe a functioning app.

they are partnering with impact

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

AEW is looking like an incredible demo investment for TNT

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

.28 for the 18-49 women demo seems really good?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Orange Carlisle posted:

The original ratings expectation was 500K, which they've never dipped below

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The original ratings expectation was 500K, which they've never dipped below

Even that Late Night show they did passed 500k.

How many more viewers does Dynamite get that ratings don't cover? Like DVR, cable cutters watching online, that sort of thing. Are there estimates floating around?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Orange Carlisle posted:

And boy howdy are they gonna have to pay up in a few years.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

xbilkis posted:

I still kinda hope the Moxley attack is something Kenny legit had nothing to do with. Letting people jump to conclusions about the Impact stuff only for Omega to go "No seriously, I dunno who did that but it wasn't me" is a fun story if you can make the actual reveal satisfying

AEW now has access to Hornswoggle, the ultimate answer to wrestling mysteries.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think the fact that State Farm is a presenting sponsor now is also big deal. WWE wishes they could get that kind of sponsor instead of energy drinks and candy bars.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MJeff posted:

That's why TNT went so quickly for a multi year deal, wasn't it? Lock them in at a reasonable rate now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lamuella posted:

That's why TNT went so quickly for a multi year deal, wasn't it? Lock them in at a reasonable rate now.

Absolutely. I don't know exactly how long that first deal was, but Warner knew if they waited until the first deal (which was just production costs and an ad revenue split) expired, at best, it would cost them more money and at worst, they'd lose AEW to another network. Then the pandemic came along and it's a good thing they re-upped when they did. It's been mutually beneficial for everybody, the deal let AEW bring in additional talent and keep the lights on with no crowds and it's been a great investment for TNT.

Unless the ceiling caves in and there's no reason to think it will at this point, they'll definitely pick up the 4th year option and then AEW will almost definitely have additional suitors when it expires. They're gonna make some bank in 2024.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

MJeff posted:

Yeah it's gonna be one of the only things outside of the big 3 sports that will still draw young people to cable. BBT can pretty much name any price he wants.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I figure it’s only a matter of time before AEW programming moves over to HBO Max, especially if linear cable starts to sunset.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I figure it’s only a matter of time before AEW programming moves over to HBO Max, especially if linear cable starts to sunset.

I feel like we've been waiting for the TV bubble to pop for a while and it still hasn't happened. I think moving Dynamite replays to HBO Max would be a great idea, but. Warner views AEW as a sport product and Bleacher Report is their sports division, I guess? They might not wanna take something from one of their own other wings, although HBO Max is what's getting the big push right now, not BR Live.

PPVs, I'm of two minds on. I think AEW PPVs would be a great addition to HBO Max, but it's the ol' WWE Network problem where you start to devalue your PPVs. And Warner doesn't seem to want to do that "pay for your subscription, then pay 30 more bucks to see this" crap that Disney did for Mulan, all of their movies are gonna be explicitly, same-day release, no extra charge beyond the subscription cost.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, home media’s in a weird place, I have a friend in my college friend slack who works for HBO and they’re definitely all in on HBO Max, there are also just waves of layoffs and reorganizing within WarnerMedia and i get the vibe that stuff is changing constantly right now.

I do think PPVs stay on BR Live as long as Warner Media supports it.

I can definitely see non-Dynamite stuff eventually showing up on Max.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I challenge the 69421 who voted Britt/Legit to T'Kal-in-ket

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

I feel like we've been waiting for the TV bubble to pop for a while and it still hasn't happened. I think moving Dynamite replays to HBO Max would be a great idea, but. Warner views AEW as a sport product and Bleacher Report is their sports division, I guess? They might not wanna take something from one of their own other wings, although HBO Max is what's getting the big push right now, not BR Live.

PPVs, I'm of two minds on. I think AEW PPVs would be a great addition to HBO Max, but it's the ol' WWE Network problem where you start to devalue your PPVs. And Warner doesn't seem to want to do that "pay for your subscription, then pay 30 more bucks to see this" crap that Disney did for Mulan, all of their movies are gonna be explicitly, same-day release, no extra charge beyond the subscription cost.

Dave's been hinting on WOR and in the Observer that media companies should be looking at buying leagues or sports properties and I can see that happening to both boost TV ratings/buffer against cord cutting and make the money on streaming. Not sure if it'll actually shake out that way but it'd be super funny if TNT tried to make a play to buy AEW

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's what Ted Turner did when he bought JCP

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I really hope that this doesn’t happen because I can’t/don’t want to pay for another streaming service.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Astro7x posted:

Is that Dustin and Terri's kid?

Yeah, the one Lawler made a super inappropriate joke about when she was like 5 calling her "the village bicycle" or whatever.

Also, Mox was clearly attacked by Crazzy Steve.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imagine the pop when Sting makes an entrance with a full, live crowd again. If his debut on Wednesday was in front of a full crowd I think the building would have imploded.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AEW doing the occasional HBO Max Special would be pretty cool, but moving PPVs there is not the way to go.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Don't do this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I Before E posted:

AEW doing the occasional HBO Max Special would be pretty cool, but moving PPVs there is not the way to go.

I would appreciate simulcasts for ppvs on HBO Max so I could stop paying for ppvs.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Seems like a terrible business idea

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd love for the PPVs to be simulcast or replays on HBO Max because... you know... I'm broke. But isn't that kind of the mistake WWE made? And AEW PPVs probably wouldn't be a meaningful draw for HBO Max. So doesn't seem like a viable idea.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Seems like a terrible business idea

Seeing as I don't own, operate, or own stock in the company, this is thankfully not something that bothers me. I like AEW, but as long as it's making enough money to continue at its current quality, I don't give a gently caress if Tony Khan, who is already a billionaire, makes slightly less money.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would appreciate simulcasts for ppvs on HBO Max so I could stop paying for ppvs.

This is exactly why I don't think they'll do it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

BBT isn't coughing up the PPV rights without a big payday

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I Before E posted:

This is exactly why I don't think they'll do it.

Yeah but I would like if they did.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the money UFC makes on PPV and how much of a disaster the WWE network has been financially giving up PPV money seems like a very bad business move

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hell I’ll settle for them just not figuring out the VPN trick

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

When I suggested AEW programming showing up on HBO Max I was thinking along the lines of Dark II or longer form Road to/documentary content, not PPVs.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've kinda assumed since the second show got delayed that they'd probably decided to roll it out on HBO Max instead given Covid production slowdowns are gonna put holes in their 2021 slate.

Also, AEW should start making WWE Day 24/Chronical style documentaries and put them on HBO Max.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Figure out when PPV buys start to taper off.
Put them on HBO Max at that point.

There y'go.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I like New Japan World as much as anyone else but if you're hoping for a company that has clearly proven they can consistently move 60 dollar ppvs after their biggest market competitor massively devalued wrestling ppv to move to a monthly model that at best would break even compared to that pre-existing $60/quarter and at worst devalue their events, without having the secondary driver New Japan has in their decades long back catalog, you'll be waiting for a while.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's the difference between putting your PPVs on HBOMax and creating an AEW Network:

If Warner offers you enough money where it is worth not doing PPVs anymore, you do it. Because you are making the same money with less risk. Yes you devalued your PPVs and probably can't go back, but you are making the money either way. You can take that minor risk that HBOMax dies a death or decides content isn't worth it to get the guaranteed money and keep building the relationship with your media partner.

When WWE started the WWE Network they poured tens of millions of start up costs into it, then millions in content for the network and then devalued their PPVs on the idea that streaming was the future.

Streaming probably is the future, but owning a niche streaming network isn't the future, selling your content to a big streaming network is. So WWE devalued their PPVs and now wants to sell the rights to streaming services but can't get the deal they want. (They are also probably overvaluing the rights because they still need to make back some of the Network start up costs.)

AEW might get that kind of deal offered to them, you never know.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just [REDACTED] the shows if it's that important to you that you watch it for free, it's very easy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I can't think of something I've spent sixty dollars on in the past two years that I've gotten more out of than any of this year's AEW shows (except all out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kenny should go to DDT and beat Tetsuya Endo.