Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Sorry. Got a dual RCD consumer unit. The right side with the sockets on is tripping. I've unplugged everything in the house. Anything big I plug in causes the right rcd to trip. Left one is fine. Its fine with our phone chargers plugged in. I plugged the router in and sat down on the stairs to read a guide and it suddenly tripped again.

Aaand it just did it again with just the phones plugged in.
That sounds like the RCD itself is on the blink and needs switching out. There could be a legitimate earth fault though, do you have a socket tester?

Either that or one of the phone chargers is leaking slowly to earth through a lovely capacitor.

e: 26 Is the atomic number of iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do you have an attic with a socket that could be getting leaked on?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't think you can go to the pub and eat four bounty bars

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

any work done recently? something like a pinched neutral behind a socket face would produce a fault similar to the one you describe. if everything is kosher the next thing I'd do is ramp test your rcd.

as an aside, a neutral earth reverse doesn't reveal itself on an energised circuit and pop the breaker until you plug something into it. that was a fun and certainly not head scratching one to find

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hm mmm maybe. I've not seen one up there.

Even unplugging everything it's just the big devices in any room that flip it. It's a brand new rcd too. Just got it installed in June.

So I was reading up on earth leakage. It basically means something somewhere is leaking to earth? And it could basically be anything?

On an earth leakage tester

quote:

This device allows you to test your ELCB by generating an earth leakage current between 10mA and 35mA through a socket outlet. It also checks the polarity and continuity of the Live, Neutral and Earth conductors.

These are very basic checks. If your ELCB trips at 25mA or 30mA, and the instrument doesn’t indicate any faults, you should be smiling.

However, you may find that the ELCB trips, for example, at 10mA. Since it is designed to trip at 30mA, this would suggest there may be a leakage current of 20mA coming from a faulty circuit elsewhere, not necessarily from a socket outlet. Note: it is the total leakage current that causes the trip

Also cheers for the insulin tips

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't think you can go to the pub and eat four bounty bars
Coconut and chocolate is a traditional and substantial Passover treat so I'm blaming Keith Stalin for this attack.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

kecske posted:

any work done recently? something like a pinched neutral behind a socket face would produce a fault similar to the one you describe. if everything is kosher the next thing I'd do is ramp test your rcd.

as an aside, a neutral earth reverse doesn't reveal itself on an energised circuit and pop the breaker until you plug something into it. that was a fun and certainly not head scratching one to find

Conservatory being built in the back but no electrical work yet just bricks and no work on it for 3 days due to rain. My oven died a month ago. The rcd tripped and after that only the grill part worked. I've had it switched off at the wall and been using my bbq to cook.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It looks like some landowner cunts bulldozed a Site of Special Scientific Interest, despite the Environment Agency telling them to stop.
The Environment Agency hope they can get a prosecution, but eh, it's Herefordshire. I assume whoever did it will donate to the Tory party* and mysteriously avoid having any charges pressed.

* - I was going to make a joke about the local MP, but his register of financial interests is almost spectacularly dull by Tory MP standards

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Conservatory being built in the back but no electrical work yet just bricks and no work on it for 3 days due to rain. My oven died a month ago. The rcd tripped and after that only the grill part worked. I've had it switched off at the wall and been using my bbq to cook.

Is the oven on that same RCD? If so I'd strongly suspect a fault with the oven circuit, probably at the wall socket. When an oven lets go there's a *lot* of current, possibly enough to damage the insulation.

However - if you eliminate a water leak somewhere, which is the most common cause of random RCD trips - your symptoms suggest it *may* be a fault in the RCD itself. A particularly big failure in the oven itself might have been enough to damage the internals of the RCD, and (thankfully) almost all failure states of an RCD are safe.

One thing that's *probably* just snake oil but a lot of sparks swear by is to (with everything disconnected from the circuit) tripping and resetting it a few times with the reset button. I've never heard a sensible reason why it might work but like I say, it's a trick I've heard suggested multiple times.

The other thing you can do to help localise it is of course to trip all of the breakers on that RCD and turn them back on one at a time to try and localise the fault to one main.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

It looks like some landowner cunts bulldozed a Site of Special Scientific Interest, despite the Environment Agency telling them to stop.
The Environment Agency hope they can get a prosecution, but eh, it's Herefordshire. I assume whoever did it will donate to the Tory party* and mysteriously avoid having any charges pressed.

* - I was going to make a joke about the local MP, but his register of financial interests is almost spectacularly dull by Tory MP standards

I read about that. Absolutely infuriating.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Vitamin P posted:

You are talking absolute dogshit.

The "red wall" is sort of a stupid term but of the 12 constituencies it refers to the Labour vote share increased after Corbyn became Labour leader in every single one of them. In a few cases it was only ~2% increase but generally it was flirting with or reached double digit increases in percentage of vote share, the "red wall" were uniformly enthusiastic about Corbyns Labour and preferred it to neolib Labour.

The media keep going on about how the Red Wall lent their votes to the Tories when largely it's simply not true, they voted Brexit Party and split the Labour vote so the Tories won by default. Their actual vote barely changed between 2017 and 2019, it was Labour votes going to TBP or LDem.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lungboy posted:

The media keep going on about how the Red Wall lent their votes to the Tories when largely it's simply not true, they voted Brexit Party and split the Labour vote so the Tories won by default. Their actual vote barely changed between 2017 and 2019, it was Labour votes going to TBP or LDem.

It is true that Labour votes in those areas has been on the decline for decades now though. Labours relationship with the north of England and the voter base in those seats needs more perspective than just Corbyn and Brexit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Wait, didn't this happen last year as well?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.gmb.org.uk/campaign/i-back-british-gas-workers

Solidarity requested for British Gas workers getting hosed over by manahement. This poo poo has been going on since the early nineties, but there was no internet back then attempting to get people's attention.

quote:

British Gas was once a great company, but the company has been let down by successive regimes of mismanagement.

Every time the “solution” has been to cut jobs, pensions and working conditions whilst the gravy train to the top brass has changed little. Our members have done everything they’ve been asked, always on the promise that this will lead to prosperity - but hasn’t.

The latest round of talks kicked off with British Gas parent company, Centrica, threatening to dismiss the entire workforce if they didn’t accept management proposals.

This style of negotiation is wrong and GMB members who have given decades of their lives into the company deserve better.

After months of pressure from MPs of all parties and even the Conservative government, the company will not take the threat off the table and so GMB has had to ballot for industrial action.

Join us in sending a message of support to GMB members facing the prospect of having new contracts imposed on them from 7th January.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is the oven on that same RCD? If so I'd strongly suspect a fault with the oven circuit, probably at the wall socket. When an oven lets go there's a *lot* of current, possibly enough to damage the insulation.

However - if you eliminate a water leak somewhere, which is the most common cause of random RCD trips - your symptoms suggest it *may* be a fault in the RCD itself. A particularly big failure in the oven itself might have been enough to damage the internals of the RCD, and (thankfully) almost all failure states of an RCD are safe.

One thing that's *probably* just snake oil but a lot of sparks swear by is to (with everything disconnected from the circuit) tripping and resetting it a few times with the reset button. I've never heard a sensible reason why it might work but like I say, it's a trick I've heard suggested multiple times.

The other thing you can do to help localise it is of course to trip all of the breakers on that RCD and turn them back on one at a time to try and localise the fault to one main.

Hmm. The oven actually allegedly is on the left rcd. I've just tried it and it won't even turn on anymore. Plus turning any of the appliance wall switches for fridge etc. in the kitchen causes the sockets breaker on the right rcd to trip. Even though they're all unplugged at the walls. Fun times.

There's no reset button. Just a test one that immediately trips the right rcb if I push it.

Guess it's electrician time in the morning.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

There's no reset button. Just a test one
That doesn't sound like a modern RCD, but at the same time might absolutely be one.

If an RCD has a test button, it should have a reset one, otherwise what's the point of the test, but if that's what's happening then the janky RCD theory looks stronger and both of them should be pulled and replaced for the next round of what's hopefully not a test.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The weirdest thing to me is that someone actually plans out the production line for what choclates go where in the advent calendar.

I figured they just fired them out at random from a big hopper.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Hmm. The oven actually allegedly is on the left rcd. I've just tried it and it won't even turn on anymore. Plus turning any of the appliance wall switches for fridge etc. in the kitchen causes the sockets breaker on the right rcd to trip. Even though they're all unplugged at the walls. Fun times.

There's no reset button. Just a test one that immediately trips the right rcb if I push it.

Guess it's electrician time in the morning.

Sorry, I meant the test button, but the word reset was there and my brain not good.

I suspect (based only on deduction rather than knowledge) that there's an earth fault somewhere, possibly a dodgy socket bonding neutral to earth, and yeah that's definitely time to step back and let a qualified professional at it.

Incidentally this is the kind of stuff that home insurance pays for itself with. The 300+ quids worth of plumbing I've had out of my 60-quid-a-year policy (considerably cheaper than most because the HA owns the walls and poo poo, obviously) in the last year is proof of that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sorry, I meant the test button, but the word reset was there and my brain not good.
Both Test and Reset are there on all of my post 2010 RCD equipment, one deliberately does it the other deliberately undoes it.

I'm not sure what point that got mandated on consumer equipment but I definitely have in my head that unless you can directly Test something and then Reset it in 2020 then it's been fitted before when the current regs oblige.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tindalos posted:

Wait, didn't this happen last year as well?

Yeah, and it got press then too. A coincidence, I'm sure.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you have an attic with a socket that could be getting leaked on?

I had a leak in the garage roof a few xmases ago when it was super wet and windy, dripped on to the strip light in there and tripped the whole house. Luckily I tried my house insurance phone number and got a bloke out gratis the next day - he was a bit stumped until I mentioned the leak, took the bulb out and all was well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

Sorry. Got a dual RCD consumer unit. The right side with the sockets on is tripping. I've unplugged everything in the house. Anything big I plug in causes the right rcd to trip. Left one is fine. Its fine with our phone chargers plugged in. I plugged the router in and sat down on the stairs to read a guide and it suddenly tripped again.

Aaand it just did it again with just the phones plugged in.

No outside sockets that I know of. No work done recently. It's wet and windy today but it's been wet and windy since.. April.

What you've posted makes me think you have got a dodgy socket. However I'm a bit perplexed that the sockets in the kitchen are tripping it as well since they should in theory be on a separate ring to the downstairs.
Can you post a photo of your RCD?

Also silly question, but have you unplugged the fridge when you plug everything back in to test? A faulty fridge will often trip an RCD.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The weirdest thing to me is that someone actually plans out the production line for what choclates go where in the advent calendar.

I figured they just fired them out at random from a big hopper.

Yeah, I can see them letting the calendars be filled at random, with someone giving them the once-over to make sure it's not 25 Maltesers.
I skimmed the article but couldn't see whether this is intentional from Mars (free publicity), or just a function of them producing a shitload of advent calendars, where each one is filled randomly.
Their responses to the tweets makes me think it's intentional, but I've already spent more time thinking about this than any sane person should do.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If you’ve run through a lot of the easier trouble shooting steps, ring your DNO on 105 (it’s free and automatic) and see if there are any known faults in your local area that may have caused your supply voltage to drop. If they think it’s likely or they want to check, they’ll send out an engineer.

Cuts out one of the potential causes at least.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, I can see them letting the calendars be filled at random, with someone giving them the once-over to make sure it's not 25 Maltesers.
I skimmed the article but couldn't see whether this is intentional from Mars (free publicity), or just a function of them producing a shitload of advent calendars, where each one is filled randomly.
Their responses to the tweets makes me think it's intentional, but I've already spent more time thinking about this than any sane person should do.

From a consistency perspective, having the hopper for specific days be full of the same shape and weight of chocolate in the line as you load them would lead to less potential issues. That they’ve pointed the first hopper on the line to 1,2,3,4 would be deliberate then.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Definitely check for actual causes. I often get emails from customers complaining about "nuisance tripping" of an RCBO that we "need to fix". 9 times of of 10 it's an actual fault in the field wiring that's very much Not Our Problem. But no, it's obviously a "nuisance" trip, because it was fine before and now it isn't!

They never even check on the helpful error display whether it was overcurrent or RCD.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

What you've posted makes me think you have got a dodgy socket. However I'm a bit perplexed that the sockets in the kitchen are tripping it as well since they should in theory be on a separate ring to the downstairs.
Can you post a photo of your RCD?

Also silly question, but have you unplugged the fridge when you plug everything back in to test? A faulty fridge will often trip an RCD.

Yeah fridge is unplugged. Still doing it this morning.

Sockets one on the right covers both floors.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Definitely check for actual causes. I often get emails from customers complaining about "nuisance tripping" of an RCBO that we "need to fix". 9 times of of 10 it's an actual fault in the field wiring that's very much Not Our Problem. But no, it's obviously a "nuisance" trip, because it was fine before and now it isn't!

They never even check on the helpful error display whether it was overcurrent or RCD.

Also we’ve just had the first bout of properly cold weather and if anything loves changing temperatures it’s low voltage networks.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

does the rcd hold in if you turn off the 4 circuits it feeds? if so, reinstate the 4 circuits one at a time with a time delay between them. if nothing else this will prove the fault is on the sockets but also shows if the rcd is ok and lets you restore power to the other 3 circuits

also troubleshooting faults this way isn't ideal and is ideally best left to someone with the kit and knowledge to safely prove the integrity of the installation

kecske fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 5, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Needs to be flying chemtrail spreading 5G masks IMO
Doesn't make a lick of sense, but why would it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

Yeah fridge is unplugged. Still doing it this morning.

Sockets one on the right covers both floors.

Yeah if you've already done the plug one thing in at a time and turn it on trick its time for an electrician. I would expect theres a fault in one of the sockets given everythings on the same circuit downstairs and you haven't got any 'new' devices that have suddenly spiked the load. We can help you diagnose as best as we can but if theres a fault in the actual RCD that can throw off every DIY test until a sparky plugs in a test unit.

You mentioned they're building a new conservatory but are only doing the brickwork at the moment? Again a silly question, but they have to drill into old brick work for the brick ties when doing this. Have you got any sockets in line with any of the new courses in the kitchen? I have heard of brickies using ridiculously long drill bits and going right through the cavity and hitting cables before.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

This is the sort of thing that really goes on behind closed doors in :mason: halls, op :ssh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
all chocolates have become so lovely though with quality as well as quantity. The world changed the day they took the galaxy truffle out of celebrations and replaced it with a loving twix :mad: loving biscuit aisle basic bitch

(apologie but spoilers contain strong swears)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Needs to be flying chemtrail spreading 5G masks IMO
Doesn't make a lick of sense, but why would it?

crispix posted:

This is the sort of thing that really goes on behind closed doors in :mason: halls, op :ssh:
Yes, I had to pull a lot of weight and roll up both trouser legs to get all those Bounties in.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

While we're chatting about electricity, I just discovered this guy on Youtube, who seems like he should be annoying but he's actually quite fun.

Learn all about US power! (and he talks about UK power right at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yep electrician who fitted the rcd is coming over tomorrow. He walked me through isolating the oven and it's still doing it. Conservatory drill points all look to be high up and away from the sockets as it's just the frame they attached.

Thanks for the help goons. Basically wanted 100 percent to make sure it wasn't anything dumb that I missed. Really love this forum sometimes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Alarming amount of electricity knowledge in this thread, love it.

edit:

VVVVV gently caress.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 5, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Red Oktober posted:

Shocking amount of electricity knowledge in this thread, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bobstar posted:

While we're chatting about electricity, I just discovered this guy on Youtube, who seems like he should be annoying but he's actually quite fun.

Learn all about US power! (and he talks about UK power right at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

I liked his video on toasters and rice cookers. Love that old school technology, we still have a rice cooker like that.