Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
For some reason there were like two people in a row on the old tournament discord that decided to try to seriously break down the theology behind sword law in the last couple of days, so

quote:

im permabanned sword master meti ten ryo. i first started studying sword law when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “cutting” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “reach heaven through violence” and “better to be a noodle vendor” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of sword law was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” sword law to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

What the heck???

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The website is up for me

Maybe it was just a brief hiccup?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Lobe posted:

The website is up for me

Maybe it was just a brief hiccup?

Down for me as well. Try hitting Ctrl-F5, maybe it's cached for you.

Juggy's surprise strike was so powerful it must've Cut the website itself :stare:.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It doesn't seem to be a cache problem, it still loaded just fine for me with ctrl-f5. Even opening it in a private browser is just fine.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

3 posted:

For some reason there were like two people in a row on the old tournament discord that decided to try to seriously break down the theology behind sword law in the last couple of days, so
Destiny's Sword Logic and all the lore on THE DEEP for the matter is pretty sweet too.

quote:

Eris, Eris, what a name, a name for discord, a name for far cold orbits where no living thing should dare to go. I like this name.

Let me give you a gift, Eris. Let me tell you about the power in the logic of the sword:

A Shredder or a Boomer is a powerful weapon, but it kills acyclically. You see? It sends out harm and it takes nothing back. The bolt passes away into nothing. A sword, though, a sword is like a bridge, a crossing-point. The sword binds wielder to victim. It binds life to death. And when the binding is done—the sword remembers. When the Boomer's fire has burnt away into axion and neutrino scatter, the sword goes on, hungrier and sharper.

Understand that this nightmare logic underpins His nightmare world, and you will see why the ascendant blade has so much power there. Whenever in our passage we find ourselves in need of power—remember that the greatest authority here is a blade made keen by eons of use.

This is the world the Hive craves: a universe creased by the edge of the sharpest sword.

quote:

Ah, Oryx, how do we explain it to them? The world is not built on the laws they love. Not on friendship, but on mutual interest. Not on peace, but on victory by any means. The universe is run by extinction, by extermination, by gamma-ray bursts burning up a thousand garden worlds, by howling singularities eating up infant suns. And if life is to live, if anything is to survive through the end of all things, it will live not by the smile but by the sword, not in a soft place but in a hard hell, not in the rotting bog of artificial paradise but in the cold hard self-verifying truth of that one ultimate arbiter, the only judge, the power that is its own metric and its own source—existence, at any cost. Strip away the lies and truces and delaying tactics they call ‘civilization’ and this is what remains, this beautiful shape.
The fate of everything is made like this, in the collision, the test of one praxis against another. This is how the world changes: one way meets a second way, and they discharge their weapons, they exchange their words and markets, they contest and in doing so they petition each other for the right to go on being something, instead of nothing. This is the universe figuring out what it should be in the end.
And it is majestic. Majestic. It is the only thing that can be true in and of itself.
And it is what I am.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I also get account suspended, obviously old dog didn't want to lose, bought out the provider, and shut down hosting so the story couldn't be finished

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

Vivec is also a liar, however, and he himself achieved his godhood only after the murder of those who could stop him from taking it.

he got his divinity by cutting himself into two: the mortal who killed nerevar and the god who did not; however, vivec is still the synthesis of these. it's a weird sort of suspended synthesis though where both sides are superimposed rather than combined into a new thesis, which is a common theme with vivec. he's more the hanged man than anything else, caught in a state of suspension, but one which allows him to perceive the inverse side of his reality, the antithesis

this sort of gets at the fact that violence is not merely literally using a sword; you're supposed to be violent to attachments (like say a huge empire) and assumptions, and especially yourself. vivec makes the cut, but allows both possibilities to remain in superposition rather than eliminating one. this reveals that the synthesis produced by "cutting" isn't the elimination of one thing by another, but a new combination of both. of course, morons think it's the will to power, because people who want an excuse to devote themselves to power don't give a poo poo if what they say is true or even sort of accurate

this is also why aspiring to royalty make royalty so much more difficult to achieve. to achieve royalty you're really better off having never heard of it.

e: since someone mentioned smg:

it occurs to me that the concept of royalty is the explicit and didactic moral of kung fu panda. that's really all there is to it. it's the magic scroll that you "get" by understanding that the magic scroll was bullshit.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 4, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

3 posted:

im permabanned sword master meti ten ryo. i first started studying sword law when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “cutting” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “reach heaven through violence” and “better to be a noodle vendor” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of sword law was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” sword law to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Holy poo poo

VV i meant the permabanned poster post

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 4, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the discord people are loving nutters.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

the discord people are loving nutters.

Pot, meet kettle.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1334856451853078528?s=20

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I get the exact same page from the website of my favorite steakhouse, but that's been going on for a month and I think they're just closed.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've only been saying that for ages now :sigh:. You can throw all the magic and martial arts about you want, but eventually you will tire and there will be More Worms.

Yeah the post from Abbadon I alluded to is (paraphrased and perhaps misremembered) that the demiurge most capable of standing up to Juggs is a focused Gog Agog.

It may be a moot point as a focused Gog seems pretty drat unlikely. It does explain why everyone else is concentrated on fighting Juggy while Gog just does comedy bits in the background, she's not in any real danger.

Abbadon also quoted The Conqueror Worm at one point, which again seems like a dire portent.

One of my favorite things about Gog is that she might wind up posing the greatest or second-greatest threat to our heroes, OR she might cheer for Allison and do cartwheels. Her motives are mysterious and she mostly wants to have fun, which is probably how I'd play it if I was a deranged conqueror of 1/7th of existence.

edit: Oh hey, someone did a copypasta of the post that inspired my name! It's always funny to see how far that thing has spread, especially considering the original text was uhhh not work safe and problematic.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Phy posted:

I get the exact same page from the website of my favorite steakhouse, but that's been going on for a month and I think they're just closed.

or you should have not done that thing with the blooming onion

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I was rereading KSBD the other day and found myself thinking that maybe Delirium from Sandman could be a potential source of inspiration for Gog, albeit far less evil. The behavioral quirks, constantly shifting appearance, and the style used for dialogue all evoke that character for me. She's the demiurge I'm most curious to learn more about, as well.

Whoever asked who the 8th demiurge would have been, I can't get the question out of my head now, lol.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeah the post from Abbadon I alluded to is (paraphrased and perhaps misremembered) that the demiurge most capable of standing up to Juggs is a focused Gog Agog.

It may be a moot point as a focused Gog seems pretty drat unlikely. It does explain why everyone else is concentrated on fighting Juggy while Gog just does comedy bits in the background, she's not in any real danger.

Abbadon also quoted The Conqueror Worm at one point, which again seems like a dire portent.

One of my favorite things about Gog is that she might wind up posing the greatest or second-greatest threat to our heroes, OR she might cheer for Allison and do cartwheels. Her motives are mysterious and she mostly wants to have fun, which is probably how I'd play it if I was a deranged conqueror of 1/7th of existence.

edit: Oh hey, someone did a copypasta of the post that inspired my name! It's always funny to see how far that thing has spread, especially considering the original text was uhhh not work safe and problematic.

I mean, the Conqueror Worm is about how death in inescapable for everyone, and we all end up food for worms in the end. Gog is the most powerful simply because she is almost completely immortal, I imagine in like a one-on-one fight she would get splattered by any of the other demiurges, but all that accomplishes is killing a handful of worms.

Gog doesn't take anything serious because she doesn't have to.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Gog is also deeply, deeply unhappy or she wouldn't be a drug colony worm monster.

I really don't think Gog's much happier or more satisfied than the average person if you take it as a summation over a lifetime. Gog just spreads it real thin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hell yeah round 2

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1334995917586444288

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Wow! Our first instance of teamwork! I look forward to them immediately loving it up again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Salami Dave is 200% MAD

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Salami Dave is 200% MAD

unironically excited to see salami dave rage out for the first time

maybe it'll end up being bad for him since it's rather antithetical to his style and Whole Deal, but, on the other hand, this is the setting where Mammon got so mad he reversed his blindness and dementia and mottom is forgetting to die right now via being mad

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FlocksOfMice posted:

Wow! Our first instance of teamwork! I look forward to them immediately loving it up again

Is it though? It could just as easily be read as Dave just popping up because he's pissed and ready for round 2 and just happened to be at the right place, not because he actually wanted to save Mottom.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TwoPair posted:

Is it though? It could just as easily be read as Dave just popping up because he's pissed and ready for round 2 and just happened to be at the right place, not because he actually wanted to save Mottom.

Dave is the one that insisted on the pact, so I wouldn't be surprised if he does actually (try to) work in concert with the others.

And this isn't actually the first instance of teamwork - Jadis definitely blocked arrows that were going to hit Mammon and Mottom (impaling Gog-Agog doesn't count because it was very funny).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
right before getting impaled Gog was facing away from Jadis, but she turned around for the spike because it made for a better visual gag

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mottom needs to start pulling her weight.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah ok runt

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

The duality of man.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Theseringsarentjustdecorative.bitch

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Who What Now posted:

Mottom needs to start pulling her weight.

She already dunked on Incubus, what more do you want?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

He specifically braces himself and raises his left arm to block the swing, rather than, say, ducking under it. Pretty sure he was trying to protect her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

After all, in a prior encounter he learned that dodging isn't gonna work out against this guy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

He specifically braces himself and raises his left arm to block the swing, rather than, say, ducking under it. Pretty sure he was trying to protect her.

He knows that Highlander Rules apply and Jaggs gets stronger if he kills anyone.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Ah, yes. Solomon David. You still think you're the hero."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This could be a turning point, because Solomon's really the only one of the Six that could actually get the other idiot children to listen and throw their sharpened rocks with any kind of coordination.

If he's still in a thinking mood and not just mindlessly pissed, that is.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I really appreciate that after the Jagganoth magical clone army fired a swarm of homing arrows, that shot down the giant dragon horse's meteor storm, before curving back to be blocked at the last moment by a huge explosion of ice spikes, from the omniscient sorcerer who already knew they were coming because she saw the Entire Universe and went insane, Dave is still just out here punching stuff real good.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It is really good punching though

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mottom has yet to turn one thing into a tree or cherry blossoms this fight and I couldn’t be more disappointed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Phy posted:

"Ah, yes. Solomon David. You still think you're the hero."

i mean in fairness Jagg also thinks hes The Guy Upon Whomst The Wheel Turns

he might be able to back it up with force, but the fact remains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
And his beard isn't even singed.