Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MrUnderbridge posted:

Sounds like treacle tart. Once in school I was told to eat my treacle tart or I couldn't go out for recess. I sat staring at the damned thing until classtime.

So, its just a solid mass of corn syrup and crust?

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, its just a solid mass of corn syrup and crust?

traditionally treacle tart is made from treacle
that being said i have no idea what americans have done to it

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Tumble has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Dec 5, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Facebook Aunt posted:

For our American friends, imagine pecan pie. Now instead of pie it is tarts. Still with me? Okay, no remove all the pecans. Butter Tarts are tiny pecan pies made without pecans. This is how Canada do.

I gotta disagree with you there. It's not strictly "traditional" but pecans, raisins, and walnuts are all standard toppings on butter tarts (as well as weird poo poo like candied bacon or whatever). They also differ from pecan pie due to a lack of corn starch in the crust.

It's nothing mindblowing but butter tarts are very good imo.

e: uhhh funny tax -

damn horror queefs has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Dec 5, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Yellow Yoshi posted:

I no idea what a "treacle" is, but this was all compared starting with a pecan pie, and I DO know what that is, so...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

not much what's treacle with you

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

I no idea what a "treacle" is, but this was all compared starting with a pecan pie, and I DO know what that is, so...

I've read every discworld novel and have looked it up more than once and I'm still not sure what treacle is

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grendels Dad posted:

Gremlins 2 is a treasure and an antiquity. These days, Disney or whoever would just go lol and make up a hologram of Joe Dante to direct some messy mediocre Greatest Gremlin Hits.

Joe is still alive and could yet still make a new Gremlins movie. i choose to believe that he will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKX9fGvF63E

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Tremors

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

From Russia with Love

License to Kill

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Someone please unban Windows98

He introduced me to this through his streaming videos of trash and it's soooooo bad and so good at the same time

Doxxing the taxman should not be a crime anymore (idk if Win98 went too far and knew too much but c'mon)

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

James Woods posted:

Replace one letter.

Sharknads?

Aren't they on the inside?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Oh poo poo, is that with Karl Hungus??

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

James Woods posted:

Replace one letter.

The idea of a young Ricky Martin being ripped apart by sharks is pretty funny, but I fail to see what it has to do with the topic at hand

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I've read every discworld novel and have looked it up more than once and I'm still not sure what treacle is
To my understanding, molasses is a type of treacle, if that helps.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

To keep all recent topics neatly bound together, I always for some reason associated "Mrs. Treacle" as the name of the old lady in Gremlins with the stair chair

Or maybe it was the guy Gollum stole the Ring from

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
From the context of being hard, minable, edible, and sweet I assumed it was some sort of hard syrup candy like sad Dickensian ragamuffins would eat that tastes like total poo poo but they don't know any better.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Who What Now posted:

From the context of being hard, minable, edible, and sweet I assumed it was some sort of hard syrup candy like sad Dickensian ragamuffins would eat that tastes like total poo poo but they don't know any better.

Treacle is a syrup, it's just a catch-all name for refined sugar that isn't crystallised. Golden syrup and molasses are both types of treacle.

And the treacle mines in Discworld use pumps and buckets to get the goodies, it's more oil extraction than hard-rock mining.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This just reads like a challenge

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Event Horizon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Someone please unban Windows98

He introduced me to this through his streaming videos of trash and it's soooooo bad and so good at the same time

Doxxing the taxman should not be a crime anymore (idk if Win98 went too far and knew too much but c'mon)

Ah yes, the original shovel knight. I thought he was still around.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

drat horror queefs posted:

I gotta disagree with you there. It's not strictly "traditional" but pecans, raisins, and walnuts are all standard toppings on butter tarts (as well as weird poo poo like candied bacon or whatever). They also differ from pecan pie due to a lack of corn starch in the crust.

It's nothing mindblowing but butter tarts are very good imo.

e: uhhh funny tax -

Yeah I forgot about the raisins. Around here there is usually, but not always, raisins.

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Brown sugar, mostly. Sometimes brown sugar and maple syrup or brown sugar and corn syrup.

3/4 cup (165g) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter
1 tbsp (15ml) table or whipping cream
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
1 large egg

OR

1/2 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins or chopped nuts (optional)

OR

1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
½ cup raisins, substituting, pecans, walnuts or chocolate chips also make good variations

To bring this back on topic I will now look for funny pictures related to butter tarts. Wish me luck.

I'm sorry everyone, I failed.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/u7G3qeu.mp4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Haters gonna hate...

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT