Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Hexel posted:

What are the general thoughts on when to start enhancing artifacts? Is anything less than a 5 star ever worth enhancing?

I just hit AR 36 and the new tier of domains are kinda rough. I got about 500 pieces of junk in my bag I wonder if enhancing my current sets won't smooth it out a little.

I'm not sure how you even managed to get so few artifacts, I'm only AR 35 and I keep hitting the 1000 artifact cap even after enhancing several 4* feathers to 16. So it's not even a question for me, I literally couldn't not enhance them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Pshh, them's rookie numbers

I dunno how I accumulated so much, I just like killing poo poo.

Araganzar posted:

So my first two pities on the new banner were both Chongyun. I just did a 10-pull with all the mail and event primos and got...a 3rd Chongyun.

My resources are THIN, is he worth investing in yet? Does he need to be teamed with certain characters? How many constellations do I need before I can post high resolution GIF videos of him killing things in 5 seconds?

Chongyun effortposter here. I have 0 constellations.

He's worth investing in if you have good taste and like fun and cute good boys. But he's definitely one of the most "build-around" characters in the game, where you can't just stick him with anyone with no regards for synergy. When the synergy works, though, he's amazing.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Ashenai posted:

Tbf a lot of the dash quotes are annoying as gently caress (oh my god Venti shut up).

the reason I have voices off, permanently

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Our resident Chongyun Prophet still has him at C0 so if you got C3 then yeah I'd say he's worth investing in if you find him enjoyable to play.

The most ideal party for him is to run a Freeze comp. Being a Cryo Claymore character means he can both apply Freeze and proc Shatter for the bonus damage. He works exceedingly well with his boyfriend Xingqiu in this regard. Mona would probably also work well if you have her though I think she wouldn't allow for quite as spammy Freeze application. Past that you have options. Xiangling works well for enabling big Melt hits. Sucrose is good for group enemies up together in Chongyun's ice field. Diona can be a support/healer spot for that good Cryo resonance bonus. Barbara offers more freeze opportunities and good healing.

:3:

To add to this. I don't have Bennett yet, but he's the best support if you want melt synergy for insane bursts.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PopsicleMains/comments/k6hemo/hahahaha_ruin_guard_goes_brrrr/

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

gandlethorpe posted:

Chongyun effortposter here. I have 0 constellations.

He's worth investing in if you have good taste and like fun and cute good boys. But he's definitely one of the most "build-around" characters in the game, where you can't just stick him with anyone with no regards for synergy. When the synergy works, though, he's amazing.

Man I wish he could help enable superconduct. I wanna try Crescent Pike physical carry Zhongli in a superconduct team, but I don't have anyone who's really good at consistently applying Cryo. Maybe if I go hard on energy recharge with Diona?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Pshh, them's rookie numbers

I dunno how I accumulated so much, I just like killing poo poo.

feeling comfortable and seeing WL rise without much increase in the drops definitely left me feeling like why bother lol, so it's been probably close to a month of just playing bare minimum. learning a monster farm route is probably the best middle ground of keeping things manageable without totally cutting off your supply

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Man I wish he could help enable superconduct. I wanna try Crescent Pike physical carry Zhongli in a superconduct team, but I don't have anyone who's really good at consistently applying Cryo. Maybe if I go hard on energy recharge with Diona?

Poor forgettable Kaeya lol

But seriously, Kaeya has one of the shortest E cooldowns in the game and can charge his burst really quickly once leveled up and with minimal investment.

Diona is brings way more to a team, but not as great a Cryo enabler unless you have Sacrificial Bow.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I do have sacrificial bow! She's using it! It's super unreliable!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Oh my god Beidou's counter procs off of environmental damage. That includes standing in grass fires that I started. This is awesome.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I respect the work that JinJinx and Tuna do, but I kind of disagree with their methods. I really feel like they overestimate how much investment it takes to deal enough DPS to clear Abyss, while undervaluing survivability. If you die your DPS is 0 after all.

He's straight up said that it doesn't require much investment to clear Abyss 12, hell he even has clips of a team that's a level 70 bennet, and level 60 XQ, Chong and Diona clearing abyss 12 with only the bennett having anything near a good artifact set. And the only type of survivability that he dislikes are untyped geo shields (i.e. Zhongli) and Barbara healing. He dislikes the zhongli shield because it blocks fuckall for damage, and barbara healing because the near permanent wet it applies to you is highly detrimental.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Well, you don't really need tons of Cryo to make good use of superconduct. The damage isn't good enough to spam, and the debuff lasts about 9 seconds and applies in an AoE. If Diona's skills are in CD and you really need to proc superconduct, her charge shot is always an option.

The thing is, if you're using Zhongli. You might get in your own way by triggering crystallizes.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Good point, crystallize clears the element, I forgot about that. Well this is annoying.

Wow, Geo reactions are literally worse than nothing. Thanks mihoyo

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ashenai posted:

???

Some quick calculation says that it's more than a 90% chance to go off if you hold her E skill.

40% chance per hit to go off, and the skill hits five time, so 92.22% chance. That's far from super unreliable.

Quick edit: Unless you meant she's got some kind of chance of NOT applying Cryo, in which case I'm totally lost.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

John Lee posted:

???

Some quick calculation says that it's more than a 90% chance to go off if you hold her E skill.

40% chance per hit to go off, and the skill hits five time, so 92.22% chance. That's far from super unreliable.

That's what I thought! And it doesn't. I don't think the chance is per missile, I think it might be per target hit? I should probably test.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
A quick google search tells me people have tested and it's definitely per missile, so possibly I just wasn't paying attention and the bow's ability was on cooldown or the enemies were out of range and she whiffed or something.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

berenzen posted:

He's straight up said that it doesn't require much investment to clear Abyss 12, hell he even has clips of a team that's a level 70 bennet, and level 60 XQ, Chong and Diona clearing abyss 12 with only the bennett having anything near a good artifact set. And the only type of survivability that he dislikes are untyped geo shields (i.e. Zhongli) and Barbara healing. He dislikes the zhongli shield because it blocks fuckall for damage, and barbara healing because the near permanent wet it applies to you is highly detrimental.

Admittedly, I don't watch the videos. I popped into their Twitch stream today and caught some of their explanation of how they weren't trying to say Zhongli was trash, but that they think he's not worth investing into when you could be maxing out 5* DPS artifacts. Their reasoning was that people watch their videos and need to make good decisions on how to use their resources, particularly F2Pers. Which I think is fair reasoning in terms of wise resource spending, but way overstating how necessary maxed out 5* artifacts are.

Now, I don't know how good his shield is in practice, but in theory bringing a shield that lets you not die instantly in floor 12 and can cc for a brief window of uninterrupted melee is still supporting your DPS.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Their video of the actual clear is so hard to watch, there are just pop ups over it the whole time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 5, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi
Why the gently caress does crafting always default to Xian??

So incredibly annoying.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ashenai posted:

A quick google search tells me people have tested and it's definitely per missile, so possibly I just wasn't paying attention and the bow's ability was on cooldown or the enemies were out of range and she whiffed or something.

Keep in mind that at R1, the passive has a 30 second cooldown. So if you're casting it too often when it does proc, it may seem like it's not working alot of the time.

MarcusSA posted:

Hi
Why the gently caress does crafting always default to Xian??

So incredibly annoying.

Isn't it always your slot 1 character?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
As a Zhongli user who loves Zhongli, I definitely wouldn't recommend Zhongli to anyone. I love him because of his style and animations and voice and story stuff, so I'm making him work as best I can, but Geo sucks and he's just not powerful enough to overcome that.

I don't regret getting him because he's cool and I like using him. But mechanically he has a lot of problems.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Geo is the best element because when I die due to my own stupidity and lack of skill I can instead blame the fact I'm running a Geo team.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Now, I don't know how good his shield is in practice, but in theory bringing a shield that lets you not die instantly in floor 12 and can cc for a brief window of uninterrupted melee is still supporting your DPS.

He goes into it in his video about why not to pull for zhongli, but at 20k HP, Zhongli's shield will block about 5k damage, which is not a lot. It's maybe 2 ticks of a cryo fatui's spray, and a similar amount of damage from a frost cloud. Tack onto the fact that his energy generation is incredibly inconsistent, he's just not a very good support, and as a carry, he's about as good as Xiangling in terms of physical damage, but Xiangling has pyro damage which will contribute a lot more in floors 9 and 12 of the abyss.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best character in the game is a Bennet so everyone else is just a waifu pick

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Geo is the best because Ningguang is super fun to play and her character design rocks. :colbert:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Geo so far is the element of impressive character designs wildly outclassed by worse-looking people in the same role space

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Masks, for some reason, are the only drops that aren't guaranteed except maybe slimes. Even against the hilichurls that only drop masks. Everything else will always drop something.

And it was really annoying early on because masks were the thing I needed the most.

arrows are definitely not guaranteed either, I'm perpetually short

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Log082 posted:

arrows are definitely not guaranteed either, I'm perpetually short

gently caress arrows. They are the worst.

The badges suck too but drat the arrowS!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress arrows. They are the worst.

The badges suck too but drat the arrowS!

i have approximately a billion badges because I JUST got characters i want to raise with them. I expect a shortage soon though as I raise Zhongli and Xinyan.

Protip for badges though: run the nw leyline in monstadt every day even if you don't have resin, it's exclusively treasure hunters and they drop badges

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Meiteron posted:

Geo so far is the element of impressive character designs wildly outclassed by worse-looking people in the same role space

Ningguang is really good but yeah, geo could use some help.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

berenzen posted:

He goes into it in his video about why not to pull for zhongli, but at 20k HP, Zhongli's shield will block about 5k damage, which is not a lot. It's maybe 2 ticks of a cryo fatui's spray, and a similar amount of damage from a frost cloud. Tack onto the fact that his energy generation is incredibly inconsistent, he's just not a very good support, and as a carry, he's about as good as Xiangling in terms of physical damage, but Xiangling has pyro damage which will contribute a lot more in floors 9 and 12 of the abyss.

I won't argue that he should be a carry because I don't believe he can with Geo in its current state. But shield support has potential that I think people underestimate.

His shield may not block a huge amount of damage, but it's still on a pretty short cooldown. Additionally, and perhaps even more critically, he'll constantly be triggering crystallize on top of it. Sadly, the numbers on crystallize are even less well understood than the other reactions, so it's hard to quantify how much they help.

While I wish Geo reactions were more interesting, I think crystallize is way stronger than people give it credit for. Back when Floor 9 was my hurdle, crystallize from Geo MC pulled a lot of weight making me essentially immune to slimes.

I think to help people appreciate shield and be able to utilize them better, Mihoyo really needs to add an indicator.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, I never had it fail to go off in, like, a whole six tries, so I was assuming the 90% was accurate, but the cooldown is pretty long. 30 second at R0, I think - I was 'lucky' enough to get two, so it's down to 26 for me, but I'd honestly love to have it at R5 if I'm going to be using it at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Log082 posted:

i have approximately a billion badges because I JUST got characters i want to raise with them. I expect a shortage soon though as I raise Zhongli and Xinyan.

Protip for badges though: run the nw leyline in monstadt every day even if you don't have resin, it's exclusively treasure hunters and they drop badges

Ok yeah not those badges.

These ones

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Ok yeah not those badges.

These ones

Oh. Those.

My condolences.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Whelp I accidentally hit World Level 5 and pulled Big Daddy Zhong. Sadly I was unprepared for this WL increase (Diluc and Ning are my only level 60s everyone else is 50 or below) since I was in the process of collecting ascension material for my C1 Childe and Ning. I guess I will change my team around to take advantage of Childe and work on getting everyone up to the same ascension.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tae posted:

The best character in the game is a Bennet so everyone else is just a waifu pick

He belongs on every team. Seriously, he’s just so god drat good.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
You can activate a windcatcher just before a host starts a domain, spamming plunge attacks does very decent damage.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bussamove posted:

Geo is the best because Ningguang is super fun to play and her character design rocks. :colbert:

I love the Jade Curtain so much, it probably isn't good in actually difficult fights (and it's annoying that it just doesn't show up against the Oceanid), but every time I use it to cut off some ranged contingent while I take out their friends I just really enjoy my life.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I won't argue that he should be a carry because I don't believe he can with Geo in its current state. But shield support has potential that I think people underestimate.

His shield may not block a huge amount of damage, but it's still on a pretty short cooldown. Additionally, and perhaps even more critically, he'll constantly be triggering crystallize on top of it. Sadly, the numbers on crystallize are even less well understood than the other reactions, so it's hard to quantify how much they help.

While I wish Geo reactions were more interesting, I think crystallize is way stronger than people give it credit for. Back when Floor 9 was my hurdle, crystallize from Geo MC pulled a lot of weight making me essentially immune to slimes.

I think to help people appreciate shield and be able to utilize them better, Mihoyo really needs to add an indicator.

The issue is that crystallize shields are actually really good vs. slimes because they have enormous amounts of RES against that element. Zhongli's shield is a straight geo shield, and so doesn't actually have additional RES vs. elements. Additionally, damage is dealt to all shields simultaneously instead of one at a time, which devalues stacking multiple types of shields as well. And crystallize shields are going to be weak compared to a Diona shield on floor 12, because Diona's shield is strong against all the cryo damage that exists on floor 12.

If shields stacked so one was damaged before the next one was, or the damage was split across the different shields, Zhongli's usefulness might be a different story, because you could run a turbo shield stack. As it is though, there are better shield providers that also provide more utility or survivability.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been running Chong/Xingqiu/Diona/Sucrose for the Cryo Resonance bonus but I'm not sure it's really worth it without much crit on my gear to supplement it compared to throwing in Xiangling or Bennett for Melt shenanigans. Perhaps Chong/Xingqiu/Bennett/Sucrose would be more ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ashenai posted:

are you holding E? with sac bow you should always hold to get 5 chances at the proc, it makes it like a 93% chance even at R1