Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Anyone follow half decent Black Friday dog clothing sales? My dog is in that awkward phase where she’s a big whippet or a way too small greyhound and I’m trying to find some cheap stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Veskit posted:

Anyone follow half decent Black Friday dog clothing sales? My dog is in that awkward phase where she’s a big whippet or a way too small greyhound and I’m trying to find some cheap stuff

honestly, just get something high quality that will last, it's well worth it. I used this site to get a couple coats for Abby when I got her nine years ago and they are still going strong.

https://k9apparel.com/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

honestly, just get something high quality that will last, it's well worth it. I used this site to get a couple coats for Abby when I got her nine years ago and they are still going strong.

https://k9apparel.com/

I'll check them out for later for sure, but she's still got 4~ months to almost double her size so I just want a stop gap. I also live in atlanta so it's not super pressing to get anything too serious quite yet.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 30, 2020

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

:chloe:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm loving dying

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah, Watson is a bit preoccupied by his butthole. It's his favorite after dinner snack.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah, Watson is a bit preoccupied by his butthole. It's his favorite after dinner snack.

For real though, if he's licking a lot you might wanna get that checked out. Greys get weird gut issues easily

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Vet expressed his glands last time we went in, said everything seems fine. He just really likes to keep it clean. :butt:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I can just imagine the snarfing that goes with this.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I should record it and upload it to one of those ASMR listening sites.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Everybody get a itchy butt

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

NomNomNom posted:

Vet expressed his glands last time we went in, said everything seems fine. He just really likes to keep it clean. :butt:

Have you had him tested for candida?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our grey licks her but a little once or twice a day, I read this was normal?

Semi-related: what’s the story if she doesn’t like her food from time to time? We don’t want free feeding so I usually leave it out for an hour then chuck it in the fridge for the next morning. Is she getting bored?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Think our greyador is getting bored with her food. Usually cook up a big tub once a week of 3lb turkey 1lb lamb, 4 eggs, bag of frozen pea/chopped carrot, tons of dried parsley, basil and cinnamon, 1 cup brown rice and either fresh spinach or pumpkin cooked in. That’s usually 6 days worth of food at 1 cup with a scoop of dried mixed in. Been trying to change up bowls but she still won’t eat in the mornings.

-8.5 Diopters
Sep 23, 2009
Greetings Greyhound thread! Here are pictures of my deer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao

how is your dog in the front seat, how does that even work

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww, what a regal pose! :3:

actionjackson posted:

lmao

how is your dog in the front seat, how does that even work

Also this, haha

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

-8.5 Diopters posted:

This is an amazing and beautiful creature and I love him so much

Also hi five fellow blind-as-hell buddy :hfive:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

-8.5 Diopters posted:

oh man we got a full set of noodle moods

the awkward
the t-rex
the how dare you wake me
the can't use a bed
the blep
the regal
the HELLO HUMAN
the roach
danger to itself and others

10/10

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

oh man we got a full set of noodle moods

the awkward
the t-rex
the how dare you wake me
the can't use a bed
the blep
the regal
the HELLO HUMAN
the roach
danger to itself and others

10/10

Yeah it really captures what greyhounds are and their goofy clown poses/personality :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah it really captures what greyhounds are and their goofy clown poses/personality :3:

Considering an OP revision

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I put my small round ikea rug in the washing machine because I thought it was machine washable, whoops. Getting a new one today because Abby is NOT HAPPY.

when going from the living room to the door, she likes to make a pit stop at that rug before advancing to the runner rug, and it's not there.

I will say that rug got pretty gross, so I'm going to finally "train" her to eat her food at her bowl, instead of just carrying it in her mouth somewhere, depositing it on the little rug and licking it off

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

Considering an OP revision

Do it

actionjackson posted:

I put my small round ikea rug in the washing machine because I thought it was machine washable, whoops. Getting a new one today because Abby is NOT HAPPY.

when going from the living room to the door, she likes to make a pit stop at that rug before advancing to the runner rug, and it's not there.

I will say that rug got pretty gross, so I'm going to finally "train" her to eat her food at her bowl, instead of just carrying it in her mouth somewhere, depositing it on the little rug and licking it off

Awwww :3:

In related news we put a runner beside the bed so sparty felt more confident jumping up. Previously he would pace like ten times to judge his approach, slowly walking up, eyeballing his landing zone, walking away to get a running start, then reconsidering and repeating. Now it's just like five :shrug:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just got the replacement rug, she was staring me down as I was desperately trying to remove the plastic, as I said "I'm going as fast as I can" but then I had to explain that I had to put some heavy stuff on it for a bit to flatten it out first

"you saw how tightly that was rolled, come on I'm doing the best I can" was literally a thing I said to my dog

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Hey everyone, meet Starbuck, our new two year-old pup:

We brought her home last Wednesday and it's been an up-and-down week. The good: she's adorable and has super soft fur, hasn't had any accidents, doesn't show any signs of resource guarding, and seems really smart. The not-so-good: my girlfriend and I are both first-time dog owners and were looking for a gentle and lazy dog since we both work from home (and I'll continue to even after the pandemic). Starbuck is gentle and lazy, but she's also kind of...aloof in a way we weren't expecting. When we first met her, she was pretty curious and outgoing, but she mostly seems to ignore us since we've brought her home, which is kind of concerning.

Here's what I mean: she's pretty food-driven and responds well to clicker training when I'm feeding her dinner, but then also seems to ignore us in other contexts at home and outside (like looking away from us or even walking away when we're calling after her). She's taken pretty well to the crate (left open) we put her in at night and loves our couch, but has ignored two other dog beds and most of the toys we got her, even when we model playing with her.

The weirdest thing is that she doesn't seem to respond to physical affection like scratches, rubs, or hugs. She'll take them and doesn't pull away, but also doesn't show any outward desire for contact. If anything, I'm starting to wonder whether those are fear or anxiety responses because she'll sometimes flatten her ears back when we approach, even when we're trying to give her a rub or a treat. We've been trying to train her to make and hold eye contact when we call her name or during "leave it" training, which she's done really well at, but then she seems to avoid eye contact otherwise. She loves meeting other people and dogs but acts totally differently at home, which just seems like kind of a bummer for all of us.

She also hasn't been very active -- we've only gotten her to run around our backyard once by herself and she's been pretty obstinate on walks, recently not wanting to leave the driveway unless we carry her down the block a bit. She did run around the yard when our friends brought their grey over to meet her, but hasn't done so by herself since. We have some guesses that part of it is that she's bored since she came from a foster home with four other dogs. We're looking into getting some more squeaky toys for her since she seems to like those (and has ignored a rope toy and a chewbone). Do you all have any thoughts or tips on how to get her to settle in a bit more easily?

Maybe this is just a case of her still adjusting to her new situation and we just need to be more patient, but I'm afraid this is slowing down or inhibiting the bonding process. We didn't expect things to be perfect straight away, but it'd be nice if our dog seemed to like us a bit more.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Akbar posted:

Hey everyone, meet Starbuck, our new two year-old pup:

+words

Muscle girl!

I love that you are so attentive to her and have been thinking so much about how to bond with her.

You are trying too hard! Listen, my friend. Greyhounds don't understand how to be dogs. They're not dog-dogs. They're kind of cat-dogs. They're usually used to being independent, and it sounds like your girl had a lot more opportunity to interact primarily with other dogs, rather than see humans as the best friends. Living in a house, with no other dogs, is a really new experience for her! She may not have ever had anything that was "hers," maybe not even consistent people to bond with. If she's acting calmly and not having accidents or stress, she's doing really really good.

You've only had her for two days!!!!! Her whole life has suddenly changed drastically and she's just a dog, she doesn't know what's going on. Greyhounds take a while to really settle in. Lots of greyhound owners say their dog didn't REALLY bloom for up to 3 or 4 months. Greyhounds are super-tolerant of people being "around" and of being handled, but they may never have been a pet. It takes time to build that relationship with them. It just takes time. It seems like she trusts you, as a nonthreatening human, but she doesn't understand yet how she fits in with your family or how you should all interact.
They are really sensitive that way, they are often described as soulful. She probably took her cues from the other dogs in her foster home, and now they're not there she doesn't quite know what to do or how to act. Just keep treating her kindly and your patience will be rewarded. Watching a grey as they come out of their shell is so satisfying.

Also she'll probably always walk away when you're calling her, soz. Lots of greys are just not motivated by making their people happy.

Meantime to build that connection, keep doing training and stuff, and go really overboard with praise and tiny delicious tidbits when she does something you want to reinforce. Like when you give her scritches just talk to her like she won world war 2, when she's attentive to you on walks give her shreds of cheese.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

skoolmunkee posted:

Muscle girl!

I love that you are so attentive to her and have been thinking so much about how to bond with her.

You are trying too hard! Listen, my friend. Greyhounds don't understand how to be dogs. They're not dog-dogs. They're kind of cat-dogs. They're usually used to being independent, and it sounds like your girl had a lot more opportunity to interact primarily with other dogs, rather than see humans as the best friends. Living in a house, with no other dogs, is a really new experience for her! She may not have ever had anything that was "hers," maybe not even consistent people to bond with. If she's acting calmly and not having accidents or stress, she's doing really really good.

You've only had her for two days!!!!! Her whole life has suddenly changed drastically and she's just a dog, she doesn't know what's going on. Greyhounds take a while to really settle in. Lots of greyhound owners say their dog didn't REALLY bloom for up to 3 or 4 months. Greyhounds are super-tolerant of people being "around" and of being handled, but they may never have been a pet. It takes time to build that relationship with them. It just takes time. It seems like she trusts you, as a nonthreatening human, but she doesn't understand yet how she fits in with your family or how you should all interact.
They are really sensitive that way, they are often described as soulful. She probably took her cues from the other dogs in her foster home, and now they're not there she doesn't quite know what to do or how to act. Just keep treating her kindly and your patience will be rewarded. Watching a grey as they come out of their shell is so satisfying.

Also she'll probably always walk away when you're calling her, soz. Lots of greys are just not motivated by making their people happy.

Meantime to build that connection, keep doing training and stuff, and go really overboard with praise and tiny delicious tidbits when she does something you want to reinforce. Like when you give her scritches just talk to her like she won world war 2, when she's attentive to you on walks give her shreds of cheese.

Thanks for the kind response! I also should have clarified we've had her ~10 days, not that it changes anything you said. You're absolutely right that she has been doing really well and has been really easy to look after! I think I just needed to vent a bit.

We'll keep working with her but I guess my biggest question is how to encourage her to run around the backyard without other dogs present. It seems like that sort of activity and tiring her out could mitigate some of her restlessness during the day (she has taken to moving from window to window and whining when she sees other dogs outside). She ran around after I bounced a ball ahead of her once but I haven't been able to replicate it since -- she'll look and maybe sniff the ball and then walk away. Maybe I can find a ball with a squeaker or something.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Akbar you’re doing great already! Greyhounds are weird, this is my first one and skool is right that they are weird dog-cats more than dog dogs. I’ve raised lemon since a baby and I can safely say as an anxiety free dog she’s super aloof in getting her attention, reacting to affection, running around when it’s not on her terms, stubborn walker and all of that.

Lemon is almost 40 pounds now and is thankfully getting lazier. This is here at 10am which is 3 hours after she wakes up, a big step for getting the nappy dog.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah it's totally normally for your dog to take a while to warm up to you, after all this is a completely new place to them. the first night I got her Abby just wanted to leave, and also growled at me a few times.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Yeah, they're a really old breed that has been bred for physical fitness instead of biddability, they really don't care about listening to people but they'll get attached to you eventually when they associate you with food and affection. I had to move back home a few years ago and it took me a while for my parents' hounds to warm up to me until i started feeding them and taking them for walks, then they were all about me.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Akbar posted:

Thanks for the kind response! I also should have clarified we've had her ~10 days, not that it changes anything you said. You're absolutely right that she has been doing really well and has been really easy to look after! I think I just needed to vent a bit.

We'll keep working with her but I guess my biggest question is how to encourage her to run around the backyard without other dogs present. It seems like that sort of activity and tiring her out could mitigate some of her restlessness during the day (she has taken to moving from window to window and whining when she sees other dogs outside). She ran around after I bounced a ball ahead of her once but I haven't been able to replicate it since -- she'll look and maybe sniff the ball and then walk away. Maybe I can find a ball with a squeaker or something.

It sounds like you have two people which is good! Have one of you stand at one end with her, kind of holding her gently by her haunches, but encouraging. Like a race is about to start. Then the other person jogs to the far end (after showing her super yummy treats in hand) and calls encouraging things. Yeah so exciting are you gonna run? Will you run for me?? I have treats and treats are SO GOOD??? Have the dog-holder be encouraging too and when you’re at the far end they go, “go!!!” Hopefully you get it.

If she doesn’t understand, the dog holder can jog her down to you and get praise and treato. Then you swap and they jog back to the top of the garden with treats.

Might not work right away, might not work ever, but that’s how we got my first girl to start zoomin. Then she never really stopped. I constantly had to keep sprinkling grass seed around because she just tore up that lawn.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Running away is a good strat. Greys like to CHASE! And moving targets are more fun than stationary ones. So run away shouting their name. And give them a treat as soon as they catch you, every time.

Once they get more attached to you - in about 3 months probably - taking them to a quiet bit of forest and hiding behind trees before calling them is a good game and reinforces that they should be listening for your voice

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

jesus WEP posted:

Once they get more attached to you - in about 3 months probably - taking them to a quiet bit of forest and hiding behind trees before calling them is a good game and reinforces that they should be listening for your voice

i don’t think i’d be comfortable doing that with an off leash greyhound, even after several years. they just aren’t always great at recall. loud noise or something = gone greyhound. i know some u.s. greyhound adoption agencies make you promise not to take the dog off leash in non-fenced areas, even.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

i don’t think i’d be comfortable doing that with an off leash greyhound, even after several years. they just aren’t always great at recall. loud noise or something = gone greyhound. i know some u.s. greyhound adoption agencies make you promise not to take the dog off leash in non-fenced areas, even.

I think it depends on the dog, but I've had no issues with off-leash greyhounds. They're just like other dogs in this regard, if you work on their recall they'll be okay. If they run away further, they'll still often make their way back to you.

That's not to say that I advocate off-leash walking at all times, Gello and Boudicca are on-leash on and near roads, but in a forest or beach, I don't see any issue, and haven't had lost dog problems beyond once early on when I first got Gello.

jesus WEP posted:

Running away is a good strat. Greys like to CHASE! And moving targets are more fun than stationary ones. So run away shouting their name. And give them a treat as soon as they catch you, every time.

This is excellent advice. Making recall a fun game is the best way to teach and reinforce it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If my greyhound group found out an owner had their dog walking around in a non-enclosed area it says in the adoption contract that they can take the dog back. It is really dangerous.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeah we definitely got a flyer that was like "the danger of TRUST" with sob stories about off leash hounds in our adoption agreement

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ahhhh I got super mad at Abby this morning, yelling and saying some very mean things. I feel really bad. She decided to poop on the rug, and what set me off was I discovered this by accidentally stepping in it

I apologized many times

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

ahhhh I got super mad at Abby this morning, yelling and saying some very mean things. I feel really bad. She decided to poop on the rug, and what set me off was I discovered this by accidentally stepping in it

I apologized many times

Did you yell at her or just in the air in general?

Because I do the latter all the time.

Even if it was the former it happens, just try to forgive yourself and resolve to better in the future. Imagine yourself experiencing the next time this happens, and imagine yourself handling it the way you want: probably with an exclamation of disgust, some grumbling and complaining as you clean it up, and then cuddles with your Abby afterward :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I apologized many times

At the worst period in my life, union wouldn’t come back to me on a walk once when I was calling her, and when I reached her I screamed like a sentence at her. How she looked and reacted made me feel the worst about myself I’ve ever felt. I’ll never forgive myself for it.

Now whenever an animal does something I don’t like, I remember that, and it’s easy to treat it not like a big deal and be patient and kind.