Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Gort posted:

Coulda just said no

Assisting Shot just got some sort of change I think cause there's no difference between the book version of it and the assist another action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Epi Lepi posted:

Assisting Shot just got some sort of change I think cause there's no difference between the book version of it and the assist another action.

Range?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen the 2nd printing CRB (which should be updated on AoN), a list of changes is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/jrc7uz/errata_2_but_its_just_the_new_stuff_that_i_could/

Assisting shot is now a press action that just does a normal strike, but if it hits, gives the next other player to attack the target +1 to hit, +2 if assisting shot crit, so it's a pretty useful upgrade to your second strike in a turn.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Captain Oblivious posted:

So Imma be playing a Shadow Bloodline Sorcerer in a game here soon for my first 2E game because the reaction stealth shenanigans look fun.

Are there any non-obviously good spells in the Occult list I should keep an eye on?

Synesthesia is hilariously busted good, but that's pretty obvious. Hideous Laughter and Slow are also on there.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I ran my first Pathfinder 2E oneshot yesterday via Foundry VTT. After running a DnD campaign via Roll20, this was just sooo much better in every way. Can't recommend Foundry enough. They have a 25% sale right now for anyone interested. There are no subscription costs like in roll20; however, you will have to host the game yourself (which is as easy as forwarding a port). You can, of course, host it via different online offers instead.

Here's a screenshot from the game just so you can see the tool in action:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My group also tried out Foundry last night and it is very cool. A lot of it just clicks better for me than Roll20 did.

Two things I have issues with right now however is movement and lighting.

Is there an easy way to measure out distance and then have the token move along that path? I either had to use the arrow keys while holding the mouse dragging the distance I wanted or let go of the mouse to click and drag to where I thought the end of the path was. I also couldn't figure out how to get the measure tool to segment.

For lighting, I don't know how to handle low light vision, I know i can set the PCs with a certain amount of vision in bright or dim light but I think where Foundry says dim they mean dark vision so I'm not sure how to set that up. The token visibility is a really cool feature and I want to make it work but I'm a little confused.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Oh yeah, movement takes a while to get used to. You can hold Ctrl and then left click to measure where a token will go, then press space to follow the path you laid out.

Low-Light Vision depends on the system, of course. There is a mod called perfect vision that sets everything up depending on your ruleset. It even tinges everything in black & white in low light environments. I didn't like the effect, though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Thanks for both of those tips.

I was still confused about the vision after loving with the module but then I realized that Pathfinder 2e doesn't seem to actually have a dim light range, it just gives enemies concealment? Unless I'm still messing that up? If not then there wouldn't be any difference on a map with low light and one with normal light, correct? It's just pitch darkness that would be a thing.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Oh yes, Pathfinder 2 simply doesn't limit vision ranges at all. Personally, I dislike that as well and will alter Tokens as I see fit. I think it's really bad for online play to have players see the whole map (except for walls and such) and will just adapt the 5e ranges.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
There's no vision ranges in 2e because you're supposed to be using exploration mode rather than tracking specific squares of movement out of combat, and the fiddly details of transitioning from exploration mode to encounter mode are meant to be abstracted by using Perception (or Stealth, or whatever weird stuff your players can justify) for the initiative roll. Before an encounter starts you should probably assume enemies are undetected by default.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My group has been on Roll20 during hell year, and it's mostly ok but I'm intrigued by Foundry. We've already purchased the first Extinction Curse module on Roll20, is there a way to import most of that?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Enos Cabell posted:

My group has been on Roll20 during hell year, and it's mostly ok but I'm intrigued by Foundry. We've already purchased the first Extinction Curse module on Roll20, is there a way to import most of that?

I don't know about about directly converting from Roll20 but if you have the pdf of the adventure the module to import pdfs to foundry works pretty well, you just need to see how supported that particular adventure is.

With Age of Ashes, I did book one so far. The maps came through good, the dungeon is all set up with walls and doors and stuff which is really neat. Only some of the monster stat blocks showed up in my "actor" tab but everything is in the compendium so it's effectively the same thing.

None of the monsters seem to be placed on the map, and none of the monsters have their own tokens but the stat sheets are all there.

My prep so far has just been adding tokens and placing enemies with their correct visibility on the map and that's honestly it so far. I haven't had to gently caress with anything else on the VTT end.

Tokens haven't been bad because someone on reddit already did the first books worth. If they haven't added more by the time my group gets to the next book then I may have to put in some extra work.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't know about about directly converting from Roll20 but if you have the pdf of the adventure the module to import pdfs to foundry works pretty well, you just need to see how supported that particular adventure is.

With Age of Ashes, I did book one so far. The maps came through good, the dungeon is all set up with walls and doors and stuff which is really neat. Only some of the monster stat blocks showed up in my "actor" tab but everything is in the compendium so it's effectively the same thing.

None of the monsters seem to be placed on the map, and none of the monsters have their own tokens but the stat sheets are all there.

My prep so far has just been adding tokens and placing enemies with their correct visibility on the map and that's honestly it so far. I haven't had to gently caress with anything else on the VTT end.

Tokens haven't been bad because someone on reddit already did the first books worth. If they haven't added more by the time my group gets to the next book then I may have to put in some extra work.

I'm halfway through book 3, and while it's mostly good on the walls, there are a few places where it's worth double-checking them. You may have already seen this near the end of book one in the cave with Voz and skeletons, where the walls aren't set up right so the players can easily see around them from far away. It's still insanely helpful though.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My group just had our first combat-heavy PF2 adventure today. I put together a Nutcracker-themed Christmas adventure, and it was a blast. I was blown away by how deadly combat is, though. Maybe this is just that my players are relatively inexperienced, but we had 3 or 4 players get knocked down over the course of our two encounters (1 medium and 1 severe). It definitely adds a lot of tension to combat, which is a fun change from the usually-safe-ish combat of 5e.

Quick question: in PF2, do you need the Magical Crafting feat to transfer a rune from one weapon to another? It's a little unclear, since it doesn't feel like you are really crafting a magical item, but also you are using crafting and runes are magical.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

Yes, there is. It'll cost you 5$, but will import everything including token placement and walls.

First, you will need the Roll20 Exporter. It's free. Export the Extinction Curse Campaign to .zip.

Then, you will need to import the campaign to Roll20, which will mean you have to subscribe to This Patreon to get it.

That will import everything except Actor Bios. All NPCs, walls, handouts, artworks and maps are there. Some things are a bit weird - maps are imported as tiles, for example. But in general, the import tool is very impressive. For example,it automatically changes yellow walls (from Roll20) to clickable doors in Foundry.

I'm currently preparing Extinction Curse Chapter 1 for my group on Foundry as well. Other than the import, I spent tons of time making it feel more alive, adding tokens for spectators in the stands and for the circus folk, for example. There's lots one can do in Foundry.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I bought Foundry to use for PDF to Foundry, but found I am massively frustrated by the amount of junk the import results in. You have to double check all the stat blocks in depth, because it will routinely only import half of them. It also doesn't do any type of organization, so I ended up with a shitload of extra journal entries just strewn about. The other problem is the PDF maps are all low-res, so they have some issues being used for VTTs.

There's a foundry module w/ maps for the first book of Extinction Curse remade fresh, with walls and lights and everything pre-done. Highly worth getting for the first book. Since that, I've just been doing it myself. I extract the maps from the books and use Pixelmator Pro's SuperML to upsize the map to something usable for VTTs (the minimum foundry supports is a 50px grid, so if you want to use it for grid based exploration it'll be tough). The PF2e system also has been updating with bestiary entries for the APs. At this point, I haven't had to manually create a monster in a little while, just grab them from the bestiary and import. I prepped Chapter 7 yesterday, and the entire thing took maybe an hour to extract, upscale the map, import, setup the grid, build the walls/lights, and insert the encounters.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Yeah, basically the only downside to that approach is that token artwork does not come with the PF2 module. Even the roll20 module does this half-assed, with no tokens for non-combatants, and even some of them only have names on a round token ("Abberton Ruffians", for example). I ended up making almost 50 tokens myself just for the first book.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Do you have any tips about doing so quickly/easily? I'm sure I'm going to need to do a bunch of tokens over the course of Age of Ashes.

Actually related question, for those who have done multiple books of an AP in Foundry, do you import all the pdfs into the same world or into separate ones and is there any noticeable performance issues if you import all of the pdfs?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
To make tokens fast, get some jpgs/screenshots and drop them into http://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/ and just download your token art.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Epi Lepi posted:

Do you have any tips about doing so quickly/easily? I'm sure I'm going to need to do a bunch of tokens over the course of Age of Ashes.

Actually related question, for those who have done multiple books of an AP in Foundry, do you import all the pdfs into the same world or into separate ones and is there any noticeable performance issues if you import all of the pdfs?

The website Tokenstamp is probably the fastest. Drag & drop a picture, maybe change the border, done.

The App TokenTool is a bit more elaborate and customizable, but still easy to use.

Personally, I made a photoshop template to make my own templates out of the Tokens provided with the Roll20 Extinction Curse module. I quite like their look, and Photoshop allows me to play with overlap over token borders. Here's an example of the aforementioned Aberton Ruffian:

I uploaded the Photoshop Files, as well as an importable border for TokenTool : HERE.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Epi Lepi posted:

It's less flexible than the other options but there's a Tokenizer plugin for Foundry. You can paste in a local image or URL and crop out a character sheet image and a token that get saved locally to your foundry server, while also updating the NPC and prototype token.

Looks like this in practice:

Tokenizer uses two borders by default, that red one for NPCs and a silver one for PCs as demonstrated by Grimmnir in a square above the creepy doll. You can change the border graphics, set a background color and select your crop region but it's otherwise not very configurable. It's very fast and has been fine for my purposes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks for all the great Foundry info, bummed I missed the sale but I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm making a Lore Shaman for a new campaign, and the Hex that lets you grab spells from the sorcerer list looks mighty fun.

Any suggestion of fun spells to nab? I'm focusing more on a support/debuffer role, but can scrap a bit if required. Limited to levels 1-3 for now, and core only. Shield, Invisibility and Heroism seem like sure bets, but I may be missing some other fun combos.

Present Hexes are Evil Eye and Fortune, by the by, so I can force a save penalty on enemies for at least one round.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Anyone have experience playing a Samurai? I know that in a lot of ways they're just fighters with more restrictions but I'm wondering if the restrictions made for an interesting time RPing maybe or an untraditional playstyle.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Pyronic posted:

Anyone have experience playing a Samurai? I know that in a lot of ways they're just fighters with more restrictions but I'm wondering if the restrictions made for an interesting time RPing maybe or an untraditional playstyle.

Most samurais I have seen have been sword saints who get a lot of mileage out of challenge and Iaijutsu strike. Also depends somewhat on what order you choose. The base samurai is essentially a cavalier that uses bows instead of charging so much and specialize in asian-style weapons and they're fine with that? But have the same problems as any other cavalier of having issues with getting their mount in places, unless you either use a small race with a medium mount (and thus smaller damage dice and usually less strength) or spend feats for you and/or your mount on being able to ride a smaller thing or fit a large animal into smaller spaces.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've got a Witch in my Age of Ashes PF2e game. Is Evil Eye underpowered or is it just me? It's really easy for enemies to pass the save and then they're immune for a minute. I feel like they should only be immune on a critical success. Just seems weak when it's the key feature of the class. Would it be too unbalanced if I make that change? I'm also running a big party so when the witch fails, there isn't always a second or third chance to do something before the combat ends. Though I'm still working on tweaking the encounters to prevent that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got a Witch in my Age of Ashes PF2e game. Is Evil Eye underpowered or is it just me? It's really easy for enemies to pass the save and then they're immune for a minute. I feel like they should only be immune on a critical success. Just seems weak when it's the key feature of the class. Would it be too unbalanced if I make that change? I'm also running a big party so when the witch fails, there isn't always a second or third chance to do something before the combat ends. Though I'm still working on tweaking the encounters to prevent that.

It's a cantrip. It's also 1 action. It's very strong already and they can use it on a different enemy if it fails (on the next turn, obviously). It's similar to the Demoralize action because Frightened is very good and they don't want you just spamming on a target until it sticks.

Also, "1 minute" is supposed to exceed the length of a combat. It's very rare that a combat goes longer than 10 turns (and it's probably not desirable for them to, it's just a slog at that point).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've got a lot of caveats right now; it's 6 man party, they're all level 2, and we're running Hellknight Hill. So far our experience is the witch attempts Evil Eye, the enemy saves, and the combat is over before the witch gets another turn. It's part not great encounter scaling, which I'm still trying to figure out, and maybe it's part bad luck, but right now the witch isn't really contributing and I know that that bothers the player. Giving them the chance to try again if they have enough actions might help, at least until I can figure out balance a little better. Higher levels adding more abilities may also help with the player feeling better about the character in combat. So maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit.

Though, you say they would not be able to cast it on another enemy until the next turn. What prevents that? If the witch has actions left since it only takes one, couldn't they try the other enemy on the same turn?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Hexes explicitly can only be used once per turn:

quote:

Hex: A hex is a short-term effect generated on the fly from your patron's magic, requiring your familiar to draw from your patron. As such, you can cast only one spell with the hex trait each turn; attempts to cast a second hex spell on the same turn fail and the spellcasting actions are lost.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

I've got a lot of caveats right now; it's 6 man party, they're all level 2, and we're running Hellknight Hill. So far our experience is the witch attempts Evil Eye, the enemy saves, and the combat is over before the witch gets another turn.
Combat should be taking 3-4 rounds most of the time, so it sounds like at a minimum your GM isn't actually adjusting encounters for the party size properly.

Epi Lepi posted:

Though, you say they would not be able to cast it on another enemy until the next turn. What prevents that? If the witch has actions left since it only takes one, couldn't they try the other enemy on the same turn?
Generally those other two actions should by default be getting used for a non-cantrip spell and/or movement.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Roadie posted:

Combat should be taking 3-4 rounds most of the time, so it sounds like at a minimum your GM isn't actually adjusting encounters for the party size properly.

Generally those other two actions should by default be getting used for a non-cantrip spell and/or movement.

I'm the GM and yeah I'm still trying to figure out how to modify the encounters in the module for 6 players.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, combats should be lasting more than 1 round, or the scaling is off.

But, Evil Eye is a single action, so they can (and probably should) also cast a regular cantrip with their other 2 actions. Or move and cast Shield. Or create a Diversion. There's lots of combat options, and all of the hexes are designed this way (that is, that the target goes immune after 1 cast).

If your player is really tied up on doing Just This One Thing, maybe give them a cheat sheet of common combat actions, so they can find some other options to pad their turn.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What is the witch using their other two actions for? Combat shouldn't be over before the witch gets another turn given that they (probably) have 2/3rds of their turn left after whiffing the Evil Eye. e: beaten in a more useful manner; spent too long looking at spells

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 25, 2020

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

The Golux posted:

Most samurais I have seen have been sword saints who get a lot of mileage out of challenge and Iaijutsu strike. Also depends somewhat on what order you choose. The base samurai is essentially a cavalier that uses bows instead of charging so much and specialize in asian-style weapons and they're fine with that? But have the same problems as any other cavalier of having issues with getting their mount in places, unless you either use a small race with a medium mount (and thus smaller damage dice and usually less strength) or spend feats for you and/or your mount on being able to ride a smaller thing or fit a large animal into smaller spaces.

Sword Saint was my first pick but it looked pretty restrictive, it looks like everyone and their mother has made 3rd party or homebrew versions to make it work more smoothly. Warrior Poet seems like the other interesting archetype, a very edo-period 'dude-in-a-kimono-with-a-katana' type samurai.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 25, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm the GM and yeah I'm still trying to figure out how to modify the encounters in the module for 6 players.
See "Different Party Sizes", page 489 of the rulebook. Add some level-3 to level-1 enemies and hazards based on the threat levels of the existing encounters using the XP budget given there.

Pyronic posted:

Sword Saint was my first pick but it looked pretty restrictive, it looks like everyone and their mother has made 3rd party or homebrew versions to make it work more smoothly. Warrior Poet seems like the other interesting archetype, a very edo-period 'dude-in-a-kimono-with-a-katana' type samurai.
The thing to watch out for with Warrior Poet is that you basically end up with a single active gimmick that you'll just use over and over every round: Spring Attack and Vital Strike with a katana or naginata while feinting.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 25, 2020

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Roadie posted:

See "Different Party Sizes", page 489 of the rulebook. Add some level-3 to level-1 enemies and hazards based on the threat levels of the existing encounters using the XP budget given there.

The thing to watch out for with Warrior Poet is that you basically end up with a single active gimmick that you'll just use over and over every round: Spring Attack and Vital Strike with a katana or naginata while feinting.

I guess that could seem really one note, I figured a more mobile skirmishing type martial would be more interesting than sitting in place and just power attacking every round.

Probably going Order of the Blossom to pair with Warrior poet, bonuses for feinting, a sneak attack, and some battlefield control SLAs at higher levels seem like the perfect pairing for this.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Samurai play basically identically to Cavaliers, so primary playstyle is opening combat by charging with a lance on your horse, then dismount, drop your lance, draw katana, and start hacking away while your horse tries to flank. Most archetypes trade away the horse for higher numbers either offensively or defensively, but either way you're a martial in d20, so your job is to spam full attacks and save your Challenges for tough targets.

They're less flexible than Fighters, but have a much better skill list, have better burst damage, and are harder to put down.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm playing in Mummy's Mask with some friends, this will be my first time playing Pathfinder 2E (or either edition really).

Is there anything I need to know about the Sorcerer class or the adventure path that isn't obvious? Like "actually the draconic bloodline is really bad" or "there's a boss that's really hard and immune to fire"?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Froghammer posted:

Samurai play basically identically to Cavaliers, so primary playstyle is opening combat by charging with a lance on your horse, then dismount, drop your lance, draw katana, and start hacking away while your horse tries to flank. Most archetypes trade away the horse for higher numbers either offensively or defensively, but either way you're a martial in d20, so your job is to spam full attacks and save your Challenges for tough targets.

They're less flexible than Fighters, but have a much better skill list, have better burst damage, and are harder to put down.

Speaking of ^^

is Unconquerable Resolve any good? or is 1/HD just too low for a feat slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

wdarkk posted:

I'm playing in Mummy's Mask with some friends, this will be my first time playing Pathfinder 2E (or either edition really).

Is there anything I need to know about the Sorcerer class or the adventure path that isn't obvious? Like "actually the draconic bloodline is really bad" or "there's a boss that's really hard and immune to fire"?

Three things. Traps. Undead. Constructs. Don't focus on mind-affecting spells, in other words.