Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Consider yourself lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Who is this Twitter guy? I'm just a rando on Twitter and he has me blocked.

:saddowns:

he's retweeting a (very funny) business insider article

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

What legislation went through the house from the senate during this time period that shouldn't of?

There's the military funding bill that Trump is threatening to veto

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

It's obviously a very important person based on the description "Movie live-tweeter"! Maybe you've been tweeting out too many movie spoilers :v:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Kalit posted:

It's obviously a very important person based on the description "Movie live-tweeter"! Maybe you've been tweeting out too many movie spoilers :v:

All I can think of is maybe I follow someone they blocked all the followers of? I uh mostly retweet stuff and tweet with others about Seattle weather and how much I love it.

It did make me feel briefly special to be blocked by someone :allears:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Probably just a twitter guy, the source for the "scoop" is in the story but the source themselves is actually just a "key player in Democratic Chicago politics" and the precise quote also throws in the passive voice: "I don't think the transition is answering his calls," so who knows.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does anyone have the Obama book quote about the black guy mouthing off with enough testosterone to piss of any cop? It was shared here this week but I can’t find the link or tweet now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone have the Obama book quote about the black guy mouthing off with enough testosterone to piss of any cop? It was shared here this week but I can’t find the link or tweet now.

It was more like Gates could probably get any cop's testosterone going but I can't find where it was quoted

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

https://twitter.com/daniel_dsj2110/status/1333874806228480003?s=19

This one?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Didn't Obama get in trouble because he said that the cops acted stupidly in that incident, leading to the lame as gently caress beer summit?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Grondoth posted:

I know this isn't a thread for anxiety posting, but what in the world is Trump doing stuffing the DoD with legal guys?

Or is this just more contract funneling?

This one is a particularly obvious and easily corrected example of it, but the Biden transition team is actively on the lookout for Trump hires trying to burrow in at agencies and screw things up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ponzicar posted:

Didn't Obama get in trouble because he said that the cops acted stupidly in that incident, leading to the lame as gently caress beer summit?

yes like most Obama things he started off with some solid words, taking a fairly measured stance of 'we don't know what happened fully yet, maybe the cop acted stupidly' and then when the right wingers got all 'OH MY GOD HE SAID A COP WAS STUPID?????' he instantly sprinted to the right and made his friend have a beer with the racist who hosed with him.

That really should have been the wise up moment for a lot of us (me included), what a disgusting display of cowardice that got him nothing at all.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Yep .

And he and Gates are friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

thats it. what a stupid loving thing to say.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
When you think the jackboot MIGHT have been in the wrong, but that boot just looks so tasty you gotta lick it anyway.

Never meet your heroes, I guess. What a loving wasteland that guy has transformed himself into.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Obama's latest autobiography is incredibly impressive. It might be the most thorough piece of self-inflicted character assassination put to paper.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Neurolimal posted:

Obama's latest autobiography is incredibly impressive. It might be the most thorough piece of self-inflicted character assassination put to paper.
Dunno about that. What I see is that people on both sides of the aisle that already hated Obama sure do hate him more after this book came out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What I have mostly seen is people who likes, didn't like, and had specific issues with Obama, finding that this book satisfies exactly their preconceptions regardless of what they were going in.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Neurolimal posted:

He should've done himself a favor and gotten a ghostwriter to blame any of the poorly received bits on instead of being publicly petty about Michele's book.

Sarcastr0 posted:

Dunno about that. What I see is that people on both sides of the aisle that already hated Obama sure do hate him more after this book came out.

I've seen a lot of people who otherwise revere Obama start to have serious reservations about their assessment of him, and I think it's because all of this stuff is straight from the horse's mouth. It's not like Republicans are out here slagging him unfairly.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

It hasn't been appreciated enough (certainly not by me) just what a huge piece of treasonous garbage Michael Flynn is. Just what an absolute disgrace.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sexpig by night posted:

yes like most Obama things he started off with some solid words, taking a fairly measured stance of 'we don't know what happened fully yet, maybe the cop acted stupidly' and then when the right wingers got all 'OH MY GOD HE SAID A COP WAS STUPID?????' he instantly sprinted to the right and made his friend have a beer with the racist who hosed with him.

That really should have been the wise up moment for a lot of us (me included), what a disgusting display of cowardice that got him nothing at all.

The fact that we have to live in fear of putting a foot wrong and having the right pounce all over any opportunity to paint all left-leaners as anarchist mad bombers, knowing that all they have to do is slam the HE SAID THING button and half the country will erupt in slavering wrath, while if we point out right-wingers' obvious everyday hypocrisy or moral depravity or racism or bloodlust it's just a big yawn, and Literally Donald Trump can be President and turn the entire government into a giant personal vanity fundraiser and we line up to donate our last covid pennies to his cause ... it's really depressing how high the deck is stacked.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1334890209771663363?s=20

Didn't Fauci recently advocate schools opening? Genuine question.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Yes, speaking of 'stop giving in', unsurprisingly after doing that the dipshit chud crowd's reaction was 'OH SO YOU ADMIT YOU LIED AND WE SHOULD HAVE ALL DONE WHAT RAND PAUL WANTED'

Data Graham posted:

The fact that we have to live in fear of putting a foot wrong and having the right pounce all over any opportunity to paint all left-leaners as anarchist mad bombers, knowing that all they have to do is slam the HE SAID THING button and half the country will erupt in slavering wrath, while if we point out right-wingers' obvious everyday hypocrisy or moral depravity or racism or bloodlust it's just a big yawn, and Literally Donald Trump can be President and turn the entire government into a giant personal vanity fundraiser and we line up to donate our last covid pennies to his cause ... it's really depressing how high the deck is stacked.

and the only way this will stop is if we just actually support progressives and stop caring what the right wingers will do. Obama should have been the prime example of that. He did loving NOTHING radical and got portrayed as not just a radical but an active enemy of america.

But no, here we go with Joe who was outright regressive for most of his career but now suddenly he's the love child if Castro and Mao, almost as if the right doesn't care who gets picked and just uses the same playbook!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Neurolimal posted:

I think he said it should be a last resort if closing everything else doesn't curb the hospitalization numbers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Don't forget the followup, in which the cop is a "thoughtful, decent man" while the black man is merely "on his best behavior".

https://twitter.com/daniel_dsj2110/status/1333877185141149701

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
imagine being a girl Obama was friends with in college and reading about how he wanted nothing but to gently caress them, or Gates and reading about how Obama functionally just believes the racist rear end cop who tried to arrest him for being black and in a nice part of town. Like, genuinely what a creepy little dude he turned out to be.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Neurolimal posted:

AFAIK it was in relation to having bars/restaurants open. It sounded like a dig to NY/Cuomo, here's an article about it: https://www.businessinsider.com/anthony-fauci-close-bars-school-instruction-coronavirus-infections-health-2020-11

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

K-2 only.

Closed is causing harm especially to that age group of kids much more than older kids. Opening would cause harm too. Whole thing is a poo poo show. When they’re closed, a thing that is happening is that parents pod up and gather unmasked in groups. It’s kind-of a damned if you do or don’t situation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

InsertPotPun posted:

i don't think the problem is "slogans not accurate or catchy enough" i think it's the people who think politics is screaming louder and missing the point the most.
you're not going to craft a slogan that changes the hearts and minds of the "i saw a chinese person voting why won't someone stop this madness??" crowd.
if they want to miss the point they'll miss the point whether you're chanting "defund the police" or "reallocate police funding the better serve the needs of the community while still supporting the police officers"

Except a lot of people who actually agree with you are also missing the point.

The person that posted right after you explained it pretty well. The fact that 98% of us loving agree with the message but are still arguing about it might be telling if one were capable of getting over themselves for a moment and actually listen to what some folks (who agree with you) are actually trying to say.

This shouldn't really be that hard and it's not about "crafting a slogan". TO me it's about choosing the right words. I think there's a difference.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neurolimal posted:

Prioritizing schools over, uh, bars is a no brainer. In a sane society, everything would be closed and we’d be paid to stay home. He knows this isn’t a sane society.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sarcastr0 posted:

I was honestly neutral, leaning on positive for him. Yeah he was hsit on so much but he was halfway decent compared to anyone else in the White House in recent years (besides Bill but I feel again he was less 'good' and simply more 'not openly evil').

Now I'm just sitting there in awe at myself for respecting a man who's head was so far up his rear end in a top hat he did a lap and is wrapped up inside himself like a spiral.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SirPablo posted:

You're probably being facetious but to say that a government with two million civil service employees has "not done a thing" to help people because congress can't pass bills is ridiculous.

Okay let's assume those 2 million paper pushers all decide they want the scores of millions of unemployed Americans to get relief to the tune of 1200 a month. They have joined together JRPG style in a dread circle and cast their dread spell. They chant to the oncoming meteor "1200 1200 1200 per per per" in the confidence that when it impacts, everything will Just Be Okay. How does it happen? How does their apparent will toward this end make it actually happen?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

The person that posted right after you explained it pretty well. The fact that 98% of us loving agree with the message but are still arguing about it might be telling if one were capable of getting over themselves for a moment and actually listen to what some folks (who agree with you) are actually trying to say.

I'd argue that the reason we agree but are arguing is that while everyone in the thread might agree on defunding the police, some posters also take democrats at face value (despite them 100% not wanting to defund the police, at all, ever, in any circumstance, in any way or form that will harm police paychecks) when they gaslight about how Defund the Police is simply bad messaging about what they really want, which is to reform the police (by giving them more money).

So you have one group who wants to defund the police, and one group who wants to defund the police who have been cajoled into thinking that the fact that DTP isn't yet majority-popular is a reason to compromise its messaging and goal.

For the record, DTP has steadily risen in support. If it was cratering maybe one could see the wish to workshop it, but it's held steady at 28-34% despite actively malicious attacks from both parties. A third of americans for a six month old policy is a pretty good bedrock of support for a radical policy that's half a year old.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I was honestly neutral, leaning on positive for him. Yeah he was hsit on so much but he was halfway decent compared to anyone else in the White House in recent years (besides Bill but I feel again he was less 'good' and simply more 'not openly evil').

Now I'm just sitting there in awe at myself for respecting a man who's head was so far up his rear end in a top hat he did a lap and is wrapped up inside himself like a spiral.

TBH, I look at it as relative to others in his position. Obama's an rear end in a top hat, but not any worse than any other president in my lifetime (i.e. since Reagan) :shrug: In fact, I would argue better? Bill Clinton was definitely worse than Obama.

E: I'm not trying to say you should feel positive for him. But I think trying to think of him as one of the worse people alive without thinking about the context of his polictical position is unproductive as well.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 5, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

There's the military funding bill that Trump is threatening to veto

Now why would anybody assume the House Dems would see anything right now as important enough to hold up critical legislation? Better to just pass it through quietly and let our apologists explain why it was the only possible option in the whole universe of possibilities and if you're homeless as a result it's because you're a piece of poo poo and gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pthighs posted:

As a narcissist, how could he not run? He's had a taste of being the person who gets more attention that anyone in the US, and probably the world, for the last 5 years. How could he ever let that go?
From like almost a week ago (meaning 7 years in current time conversions), but I feel like this is probably going to be what ends up actually killing him. Not the lovely diet, the lovely drugs, the swiss-cheese brain or the absolute lack of meaningful physical activity: It's the lack of undivided attention that the highest office in the land commanded on both mainstream traditional and social media. That's the most powerful drug for someone like Trump, and his attempts to keep it intact, to get that all-too important fix while he becomes more and more of a footnote/having only a fraction of the attention he had on this past half-decade is going to kill him.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A reminder of where BLM was in 2016 and today.

Defund the Police is where BLM was at three years into its existence, six months into its existence. And that's with democrats seizing every possible chance to take a fat steaming poo poo on the concept.

Biden increased opposition to a fracking ban 10+ points in a single debate. These numbers are not set in stone, institutional support is a huge factor. 30% is extremely good for a policy opposed by both parties, in its infancy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Prioritizing schools over, uh, bars is a no brainer. In a sane society, everything would be closed and we’d be paid to stay home. He knows this isn’t a sane society.

Schools don't make money. And as long as the restaurants are open, the staff can't take care of their children. So they go to daycare. And get sick.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You can tell he's never had a real job, because like bartenders or waiters get yelled and cussed at and nobody gives them a blank check to just do whatever their rising testosterone wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Sarcastr0 posted:

Would you like to explain more, or just gonna ::allears::

They could try for a bailout bill that doesn’t include a liability shield and has another round of stimulus checks.

But it’s easier to lay the blame on one party than it is to accept the culpability of Andrew Cuomo, Eric Garcetti, and Democrats across the country.