Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Uno cards or slips of paper will work fine. MTG is explicitly banned from this shop because the cranky owner "hates hordes of unaccompanied teenagers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
This place sounds perfect for BattleTech

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Considering it's hosted multiple successful international DBMM (or whatever rules that are used these days) tournaments makes me think so, yeah. There are a lot of old school grogs lurking in the shadows here.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Strobe posted:

BV is how weapons are balanced and outside of a few outliers it does a reasonably good job. I was complaining very specifically as an aside about the type whose instant reaction to a new 'Mech is "this 'Mech would be better if you replaced X weapon with its weight in Medium Lasers" (because they are loud and annoying and commonplace elsewhere). This thread isn't particularly bad about it, but then neither is there a meaningful volume of discussing 'Mech variants in any more than the broadest strokes.

I can see how that would be annoying. I have a similar visceral reaction whenever someone talks about BV as a reason why a ‘Mech design is good or bad, particularly when it is suggested a ‘Mech is good because it has a low BV.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

This place sounds perfect for BattleTech

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Carbolic posted:

I can see how that would be annoying. I have a similar visceral reaction whenever someone talks about BV as a reason why a ‘Mech design is good or bad, particularly when it is suggested a ‘Mech is good because it has a low BV.

I'm sorry my posting annoys you, but not sorry enough to stop. Sometimes 'Mechs are worth taking because they're cheap. :shrug:

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Strobe posted:

I'm sorry my posting annoys you, but not sorry enough to stop. Sometimes 'Mechs are worth taking because they're cheap. :shrug:

In the metagame, yes. That might make them cost-effective but it does not make them good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Carbolic posted:

In the metagame, yes. That might make them cost-effective but it does not make them good.

same_picture.jpg

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In a game with more active balancing it would be a sign they need to adjust some of these values.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

In a game with more active balancing it would be a sign they need to adjust some of these values.

Yeah probably. I think there's something (a lot of something) to be said for the disadvantages inherent in expensive designs that can't be easily quantified because of the nature of BattleTech gameplay meaning that at any given moment a single gun can just remove your 3000 BV behemoth from the field.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbolic posted:

And in the narrative. You field the lance you can afford.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

And in the narrative. You field the lance you can afford.

Nobody in-universe buys BattleMechs with BV. They may be limited by financial cost or by DropShip tonnage, but they are most certainly not limited by BV. Which is why, in-universe, there is an incentive to optimize units.

I can't believe I am actually arguing the pro-optimization side here, because I find ultra-optimizers annoying too. I just don't think people are idiots when they point out that certain loadouts make more sense over others.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Running Kell Hounds (Centurion & Warhammer) for a game on Thursday. Any role-playing tips to help give them some flavor? My understanding of them is that they're basically a borderline Mary Sue faction that is super good at everything, and also you fight them in the HBS game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbolic posted:

Nobody in-universe buys BattleMechs with BV. They may be limited by financial cost or by DropShip tonnage, but they are most certainly not limited by BV. Which is why, in-universe, there is an incentive to optimize units.

I can't believe I am actually arguing the pro-optimization side here, because I find ultra-optimizers annoying too. I just don't think people are idiots when they point out that certain loadouts make more sense over others.

That you can't find a fluff reason why you can only afford so much BV is the problem.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taintrunner posted:

Running Kell Hounds (Centurion & Warhammer) for a game on Thursday. Any role-playing tips to help give them some flavor? My understanding of them is that they're basically a borderline Mary Sue faction that is super good at everything, and also you fight them in the HBS game.

They're not so much mercenaries as the personal army of a powerful Lyran nobleman that he uses to further his political goals. That's about it for them in terms of "having a personality."

HootTheOwl posted:

That you can't find a fluff reason why you can only afford so much BV is the problem.

Isn't that most war games, where their balancing system exists purely as an abstract, because "fairness" isn't a goal that exists for armies? Patton wasn't going around Europe trying to figure out how to have a fair fight.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Generally. You have to balance your fights somehow, and BV is by far the best existing way to do it no matter how unrealistic it may be. Balancing by c-bills or only by number of units is a recipe for having a really bad time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They're not so much mercenaries as the personal army of a powerful Lyran nobleman that he uses to further his political goals. That's about it for them in terms of "having a personality."

Oh hey, that actually makes a shitton of sense in the larger narrative of my campaign. Thanks!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Generally. You have to balance your fights somehow, and BV is by far the best existing way to do it no matter how unrealistic it may be. Balancing by c-bills or only by number of units is a recipe for having a really bad time.

Sure, but none of that has to do with in-universe storytelling, which is my point. If you want a mechanic for fairness it should probably exist only as an abstract gameplay concept, not something you're having to write around in stories.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Important news:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Sure, but none of that has to do with in-universe storytelling, which is my point. If you want a mechanic for fairness it should probably exist only as an abstract gameplay concept, not something you're having to write around in stories.

I think we're talking past each other on this one. I'm not at all suggesting that BV should be consulted or considered when writing stories, but I think it's probably naive at best and a disaster waiting to happen at worst if you try to ignore it while doing things with other players. Or even yourself, if you're actually trying to have games against a bot or yourself that are reasonably well balanced and not a series of curb-stompings.

The best middle ground is probably something along the lines of any given random opponent ends up by sheer cosmic coincidence being roughly XXX% of your protagonists' BV for whatever story you're trying to tell and whatever mission you're trying to undertake. In such a situation, BV cost-efficiency is still a consderation, though one the players can simply choose to ignore (which I think would be a mistake).

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Here is an artful rendering of a Jade Falcon Elemental in the tulips of Humptulips from the new Tukayyid book.

The art pieces at the end of each Clan's section are pretty nice. I really like the book itself, too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still incredibly pissed they won't give us .PDF versions of the BoT mapsheets and let us upscale them for Heroscape. The map sheets are beautiful, but a large part of the appeal of playing Battletech with games run by me (or anyone else who uses this) is the physical heroscape terrain which lets you instantly see any obstacles between you and the enemy, which helps speed up an already long in the tooth game.

Also idiot question, but if I had a digital version of a standard size Battletech mapsheet, what factor would I scale it up by to fit with Heroscape hexes?

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
I actually found myself liking some of the more bright, almost cartoonish-looking pieces of art in the Tukayyid book. I'll take something that was obviously drawn over 3d art any day, even if the 3d stuff has improved a lot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And all of it is head and shoulders better than the chaotic mess of black and white pictures that used to be in BattleTech books.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What, you didn't like Snake Dance?

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Make fun of this at your own peril. You have been warned.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The FLGS has some of the new stuff in stock. I picked up a salvage box with a Nova in it, the Clan Invasion set proper, and a Clan Command Lance.

Here's the 25th Anniversary Summoner next to the new one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Strobe posted:

And all of it is head and shoulders better than the chaotic mess of black and white pictures that used to be in BattleTech books.

How about "shots of dioramas with minis" like we got for Wars of Reaving :(

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know of any miniatures that look similar to the Ostrogoth aerospace fighter? The iron wind metal store only has it at micro scale.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It'd be the wrong scale, but the Reaper CAV line's Kraken has a similar profile.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That being said, any other of the Reaper CAV line good as stand-ins for Battletech? The tanks seem usable.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the record, I would like to confirm that the Kell Hounds have been completely humiliated off the face of the OC Planet Do Not Steal that is the centerpiece of my current narrative campaign; their will broken by a new player who thought jumpjets means he gets to do stupid handstand cartwheels over the rooftops of skyscrapers.

He was, unbelievably, entirely correct in doing so.

I am now chugging beer to the Crimson Tide theme.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It'd be the wrong scale, but the Reaper CAV line's Kraken has a similar profile.

That looks really good, thank you for the suggestion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's true. You can only get it up to 53.

Whoever wrote that copy is really overstating how hard it is to destroy the average American house though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The camospecs website got a full overhaul. It actually works on non-dialup speeds now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The new recognition guide has a new Davion Omni, the Inferno, which is basically an Omni Orion and it's excellent.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What is with the Davions always getting omni versions of mechs that would better fit the Mariks? In fact, we already have an omni Orion! With a terrible sculpt, no less!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pussy Cartel posted:

What is with the Davions always getting omni versions of mechs that would better fit the Mariks?

We traded signature faction traits a while back. They got the Omni versions of everything, we got the not losing every single war of consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Torn on going in on some of the Wave 2 kickstarter stuff. Both Comstar lances, desert mappacks, and physical copies of the Battlemech Manual and TRO Succession Wars would be great but it feels hard to justify the money when I've got so drat much Battletech stuff in my games shelves that I've barely gotten to the table yet.

Being in Australia though the prices on the books with shipping are pretty good, and I feel like if I don't go for the new stuff now I'm not going to get a chance to get any of them for ages if at all. Battletech stuff seems pretty scarce where I live so my FOMO is running rampant.