Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I legitimately enjoy chasing superbosses in Atelier but not for $35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gust DLC generally isn't very good and mostly falls into either nickle-and-diming (paygating party members) or really expensive insubstantive stuff. It's the sort of thing I find a little more forgivable coming from niche devs that can genuinely teeter on the razor, but it's also not likely to change at all with their fortunes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember when they released Blue Reflection, a game as substantial as a warm summer breeze, with $60 worth of dlc.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They did the same thing with Lydie & Suelle, and if you weren't paying attention Lulua (you could buy Totori and Meruru independently for $10)

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

It's me, I'm the whale. I justify everything by the fact that I bought the Nelke season pass and nothing gust can possibly do will be as much of a ripoff as that was.

It's AU$161.45 btw. The Aussie tax is real :negative:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Atelier games feels incredibly expensive and that's why I havent tried the dusk games yet.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It comes with being owned by Koei Tecmo. You only get discounts on relevant recent games.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I got a Steam gift card for the holiday so I bought the Rorona bundle since I'm invested now.
How is it that in every single game... they pronounce "Atelier" incorrectly somehow, except in Rorona, where they pronounce it correctly?

They know how it's said why does everyone keep saying At-leer, what the gently caress!

(Also I like Rorona! It's charming and I like the characters. I especially like how Tantris is supposed to be like a spy for his father and then just ... doesn't. Doesn't poison you, doesn't do anything. Fantastic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HellOnEarth posted:

I got a Steam gift card for the holiday so I bought the Rorona bundle since I'm invested now.
How is it that in every single game... they pronounce "Atelier" incorrectly somehow, except in Rorona, where they pronounce it correctly?

Probably just a difference in translation teams.

They also sometimes mess it up in Japanese. Just one of those things.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i remember reading a post by one of the dub voice actresses saying that they weren't allowed to pronounce it correctly due to some producer insisting on at-lier

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tales of Woe posted:

i remember reading a post by one of the dub voice actresses saying that they weren't allowed to pronounce it correctly due to some producer insisting on at-lier

that would be faye mata, firis' VA

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember hearing some similar stuff for Persona 5 and how certain names had to be pronounced, and the modern NGE dub, so I'm not all that surprised.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

that would be faye mata, firis' VA

I understand but it also makes me slightly, though fully irrationally, annoyed every time I hear it. It's funny that as I go back in time in the games, the pronunciation becomes more correct.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atelier isn't exactly a common word in english and has an incredibly unintuitive pronunciation so I'm not too surprised they just decided to pretend it was a fantasy word and make up a more intuitive one. I actually remember Rorona getting it wrong too. The correct pronunciation is something like Attleyay

Most of the time they just call it a workshop anyways

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
is ryza 2 good it's been out in japan for a month or so, hasn't it

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

It came out earlier this month, I liked the first one, so I’m just going to grab it when it’s out in English.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Gamerofthegame posted:

i'm also wondering this. first english language review i've caught makes it sound like more or less what you'd expect: little beefier playtime, more intricate battle system, crafting still basically the same https://www.frontlinejp.net/2020/12/28/review-atelier-ryza-2-lost-legends-the-secret-fairy/

and, of course,

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

abraham linksys posted:

i'm also wondering this. first english language review i've caught makes it sound like more or less what you'd expect: little beefier playtime, more intricate battle system, crafting still basically the same https://www.frontlinejp.net/2020/12/28/review-atelier-ryza-2-lost-legends-the-secret-fairy/

and, of course,

Sounds on-brand

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
After some chat about it and recommendations in the general RPG thread I ended up checking out Ryza, and it loving rules. I'm about 20 hours in and fully intend to check out the older games once I'm done with it, it's cute and fun and the Alchemy system hits all of my ADHD sweet spots.

I am wondering, though: Is the game just generally quite easy, even on Hard? Or have I just massively overleveled myself by spending a huge chunk of time just messing around with alchemy trying to make the numbers get bigger well before I'm supposed to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The entire series tends to shuffle its difficulty into the crafting, not the combat. If you have good items, you'll have an easy time. Higher difficulties demand better items, but if you're good at synthesis they typically aren't that bad. In Ryza I think I hit one wall on hard, then spent a few hours crafting and never had issues again as I stayed ahead of the curve from there.

Earlier in the series, the difficulty was put into the time limit system but since Shallie the series hasn't had time limits. Well, Firis had one for its first half but it was ludicrously generous even if you wanted to get every event, whereas getting every event in time is actually challenging in the Arland games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

atelier is like 80% preparation. there's some "wall" combat encounters, usually the final boss but sometimes midgame ones too, that will wipe the floor with you if you aren't prepared, but get trivialized when you are. the gameplay fantasy of the series is that with some exceptions you generally play a weak protagonist who uses alchemy to surpass their weaknesses and find their place in the world alongside allies that are much more combat capable than them.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Hey folks,

I'm looking to really get into the Atelier games right now, I've bought a few over the years and want to know which of these is best to start with.

On Switch I have:

Lydie & Suelle
Meruru DX
Rorona DX
Totori DX

I've made a bit of progress in Lydie & Suelle but I'd probably need to start again if I was to go with that.

I could also easily play Sophie and... I think I have another Atelier game on the PS4. I think. One of the Mysterious ones.

I know a lot of folks consider Ryza to be a good starting point but unfortunately I don't own that one right now, and would rather just go with what I currently own.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Moriveth posted:

Hey folks,

I'm looking to really get into the Atelier games right now, I've bought a few over the years and want to know which of these is best to start with.

On Switch I have:

Lydie & Suelle
Meruru DX
Rorona DX
Totori DX

I've made a bit of progress in Lydie & Suelle but I'd probably need to start again if I was to go with that.

I could also easily play Sophie and... I think I have another Atelier game on the PS4. I think. One of the Mysterious ones.

I know a lot of folks consider Ryza to be a good starting point but unfortunately I don't own that one right now, and would rather just go with what I currently own.

Lydie and Suelle if you like puzzle games (the alchemy in that one is a little mini-puzzle each time) or Rorona if you prefer time management

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rorona and L&S are both fine starting points, depending on whether you want a basic version of the atelier "system" with time management (rorona) or no time management but more elaborately puzzley mechanics (L&S)

totori and meruru are follow-ups to rorona, theres no reason to play them out of order if you own all three

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Hmm, maybe I’ll start with Rorona in that case? May be hard to go back to the simpler atelier games after that.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

cheetah7071 posted:

Lydie and Suelle if you like puzzle games (the alchemy in that one is a little mini-puzzle each time) or Rorona if you prefer time management

This just sold me on that being my next entry, I hugely gently caress with puzzles so that sounds rad. If I'm looking long-term, would you recommend I start at the beginning of the trilogy and go through sequentially? Or just jump to this one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sab Sabbington posted:

This just sold me on that being my next entry, I hugely gently caress with puzzles so that sounds rad. If I'm looking long-term, would you recommend I start at the beginning of the trilogy and go through sequentially? Or just jump to this one.

Playing sequentially only really matters in Arland, I think. They got better at making them all work as starting points as they went. You lose a bit with the capstone of Sophie's arc when she comes out of nowhere but that's about it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Just jump to it, it's a lot better than the first two at the puzzle thing. Sophie's crafting is so much trial and error because the order you add ingredients matters in a way thats hard to mentally visualize, Firis I haven't played but is the same as far as I know. and then L&S has a different system that fixes that problem and adds some more satisfying mechanics.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sophie does have one really cool mechanic which didn't come back, but yeah by and large L&S has the best puzzle crafting of the franchise

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

I've enjoyed what I've played so far. Ryza is in a city this time so there's actually side characters and plenty of things unrelated to the main plot (Fi needs to go to 5 different dungeons.) The recipes and features have to be unlocked again using a skill tree but it doesn't seem to be much of a story thing aside from getting the item duplication and enhancing features back (since they required specialty equipment in the original.) They added some dungeon areas which require exploration to check off a number of requirements, similar to the alchemyriddle from Lulua, with it culminating in a "Ruin Sensor" requiring running around the map and finding lost memories or ghosts that dump lore. I've stopped here after opening the 4th dungeon and am going to wait for the full game release but it's definitely worth it if you like the first one.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

That does sound pretty good although I'm not looking forward to having to make weapons and armor again. I really didn't like having to do the weird chain synthesis starting from the lowest tier of equipment and synthing your way up. Felt like a lot of tedious menuing and I wasn't too happy at the difficulty spike with the final boss pretty much needing you to make super strong equipment.

Sometimes, I kind of wonder what a hard Atelier game would be like. Something that makes you abuse generally less useful traits like stacking a bunch of elemental resists for a dungeon that might use a lot of fire attacks or something.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah I hope weapon and armor crafting got a rework; dumping dozens of ingots in to stack stat boosts was an extremely bad mechanic but so obviously useful that it was difficult not to consider doing it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is a blacksmith in town so you go to him for some of the item production, but the weapons are still developed through the old alchemy system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really liked the system in Meruru and Rorona DX where you just shove two ingots together and get a weapon out the other end with their combined traits

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dehry posted:

There is a blacksmith in town so you go to him

hagel...?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

No, the guy actually has hair.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I definitely understand why some of these games have time limits. The lovely bully character has been missing in some monster-filled hellscape for about a month because I'm too busy gardening so I can get my numbers bigger. But like way bigger.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier isn't exactly a common word in english and has an incredibly unintuitive pronunciation so I'm not too surprised they just decided to pretend it was a fantasy word and make up a more intuitive one. I actually remember Rorona getting it wrong too. The correct pronunciation is something like Attleyay

Most of the time they just call it a workshop anyways

Atelier is a French loan-word (like garage), so the pronunciation is that way (ah-te-liay) because :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I realized I may have spent a little bit too much time on the Alchemy when I one-shot the final boss with Ryza.

This game is good and if the other games are better I'm very excited.