Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just told this story somewhere else, but

I went to a hibachi place years ago and ended up seated with a youngish couple, maybe in their mid-20s. when the cook asked about sauces, they just got the mayo stuff in all 3 ramekins, and they put it on everything, to the point they got refills. then they had to leave early, so they got styrofoam to-go boxes and then had the cook fill all of the empty space in the box with mayo sauce. 12 oz / 350 ml at least.

both of them were absolutely ripped. :psyduck:

If you work out like Michael Phelps you can eat like Michael Phelps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Sheet-mayo

More like

-mayo

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mymla posted:

Idk what the boiled flour is if not the Saddest Bread, but at least in the toast water recipe it says it's for treating diarrhea.

Sounds like they’re on their way to discovering seitan.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, that swedish mayo cake on the last page reminded me that I don’t get the online stereotype of north americans eating tons of mayo. We like our mayo sure but people like nordics and chileans down it by the gallon I swear. I’ll just take a moderate serving on my McChicken.

E: and koreans apparently but they sweeten it enough to make the hfcs capital of the world blush

Nah, mayo isn't very common here in sweden. Smörgåstårta is really the only place I can think of where you expect to find it, and that's eaten once a year, tops.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/CallyGingrich/status/1334953290023366656

Looking good!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I wouldn't choose Newt Gingrich as an ingredient, but that's just me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unsure if lasagna or tripe.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Unsure if lasagna or tripe.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is the Germans idea of toast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHAR1S_eKA

Do NOT believe their lies.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

uber_stoat posted:

maybe they know something we don't...

It took my brain a moment to process what I was looking at but when it finally clicked I got real dizzy and had to brace myself against the side of the desk

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mmm, sweet mayo cheese and butter caramel.

e, holy moley these korean pringle flavors are off the flip!

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Dec 5, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spankmeister posted:

This is the Germans idea of toast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHAR1S_eKA

Do NOT believe their lies.

Please do not be telling me that any other country except the US has American Cheese Singles.

Leave me something to believe in in this cruel stupid world

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Dec 5, 2020

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Data Graham posted:

Please do not be telling me that any other country except the US has American Cheese Singles.

I've had the german version. It's even worse than ours in my opinion.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

mmm, sweet mayo cheese and butter caramel.

e, holy moley these korean pringle flavors are off the flip!

lower left translates to garlic potato bakes... potato flavored pringles w garlic, what an idea. "popular in rest stops!" (but korean rest stops sometimes utterly trounce most american ones in shininess for some reason)

across the top of the bolognese flavored one: "the secret of the mystery flavor?"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Data Graham posted:

According to my brother that taught English in Korea a few years ago, that's pretty much the only kind of cheese you can get over there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lower left translates to garlic potato bakes... potato flavored pringles w garlic, what an idea. "popular in rest stops!" (but korean rest stops sometimes utterly trounce most american ones in shininess for some reason)

across the top of the bolognese flavored one: "the secret of the mystery flavor?"

thanks for the translation, I want those garlic ones for real!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr.Radar posted:

According to my brother that taught English in Korea a few years ago, that's pretty much the only kind of cheese you can get over there.

you can get a lotta significant real cheeses in the extremely rich peep groceries for like 250% markup, one of the points of reverse culture shock for my parents after coming back

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Black pepper and crab pringles sign me the gently caress up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

titties posted:

Black pepper and crab pringles sign me the gently caress up

they're all just delivery vehicles for hydrolyzed yeast, 99% msg by weight

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mr.Radar posted:

Yep and they are a popular filling in kimbap (korean sushi rolls)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, when you get past the raw shock, it's not the worst idea to stack layers of turkey and stuffing and cover them in mashed potatoes. Maybe with some gravy that'd be good.

But then you look further, it's topped with that awful sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, and I think the only time I had that it was just awfully sweet. That'd ruin any chance at being good. And also that recipe doesn't sound like a good way to cook turkey.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I like the 25 ingredient mega recipe.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
One of my co-workers revealed she always puts ketchup into her mashed potatoes and mixes it up before eating it. I watched her do it in real time. They turned out pink.

It's not the worst thing I've ever encountered but it did make me remember the day when I was about 7 and looked down at my scrambled eggs with ketchup and realized it was loving gross as hell.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

empty sea posted:

One of my co-workers revealed she always puts ketchup into her mashed potatoes and mixes it up before eating it. I watched her do it in real time. They turned out pink.

That reminds me of the rare meatloaf nights my family had while I was growing up. My mom would always serve the meatloaf with a side of instant mashed potatoes. The way I always ate them was to slather the meatloaf with ketchup then dip the meatloaf in the potatoes. In my memories that was a pretty good meal, maybe I should try making it myself to see if it holds up...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, that swedish mayo cake on the last page reminded me that I don’t get the online stereotype of north americans eating tons of mayo. We like our mayo sure but people like nordics and chileans down it by the gallon I swear. I’ll just take a moderate serving on my McChicken.

E: and koreans apparently but they sweeten it enough to make the hfcs capital of the world blush

It's not just pure mayo in those cakes, it's often a mix of mayo and something else, like whipped cream. One recipe specified 4dl of whipped cream to 6 table spoons of mayo for instance so pretty low on mayo. But another is half mayo and half sour cream. Some don't use mayo at all but some kinda of cheese like philadelphia style or some other mix. It's really kinda an open field.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's not just pure mayo in those cakes, it's often a mix of mayo and something else, like whipped cream. One recipe specified 4dl of whipped cream to 6 table spoons of mayo for instance so pretty low on mayo. But another is half mayo and half sour cream. Some don't use mayo at all but some kinda of cheese like philadelphia style or some other mix. It's really kinda an open field.

Is...is that supposed to make it better?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well smörgåstårta is undeniably awesome in all it's forms so... yes?

Mymla posted:

Nah, mayo isn't very common here in sweden. Smörgåstårta is really the only place I can think of where you expect to find it, and that's eaten once a year, tops.

Maybe I am abnormal then, go through several jars per year here. You can dip fish fingers in mayo, goes well on burgers and bread (though I admit to being a bit americanized on this point), polarbröd with mayo is nice just on it's own, maybe a few cucumber slices or bell peppers. And tuna sallad is just so much better with mayo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Data Graham posted:

Nope, you can add it to the list of terrible things the US has visited upon the rest of the world. Adding to the irritation for me personally is that it's sold as 'cheddar style' in a lot of countries, which leads me to having to explain to extremely sceptical European students that the UK actually has excellent cheese and real cheddar is a billion times better than the lurid orange shite they think it is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can someone familiar with Korea explain the flavour profile of cheesy cheese vs nacho cheese?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've had the german version. It's even worse than ours in my opinion.

Man I don’t know... It was twenty years ago so I don’t know if it still exists, but there was a brand of ultra-cheap knockoff “American” “cheese” that I once resorted to buying. Once.

I don’t even remember the taste, it was so bad, but what I do remember was that it didn’t melt when microwaved. It actually hardened. It shrunk a bit and became tough, like its density increased in the heat. If it were used instead of silica tiles, maybe the Columbia disaster could have been avoided.

I threw the rest of the package out after that abomination of food materials science. Yeah, I was poor, but some things are worth the extra cash.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Man I don’t know... It was twenty years ago so I don’t know if it still exists, but there was a brand of ultra-cheap knockoff “American” “cheese” that I once resorted to buying. Once.

I don’t even remember the taste, it was so bad, but what I do remember was that it didn’t melt when microwaved. It actually hardened. It shrunk a bit and became tough, like its density increased in the heat. If it were used instead of silica tiles, maybe the Columbia disaster could have been avoided.

I threw the rest of the package out after that abomination of food materials science. Yeah, I was poor, but some things are worth the extra cash.

This reminds me of bad vegan “cheese” slices

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I think these could have counted as vegan if such a thing were mainstream back then. But no vegan would be able to do the mental gymnastics to convince themselves they were actually good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we always make a turkey casserole out of the last of the leftovers: turkey, a little gravy, stuffing, potatoes. bake.

I'm not sure why one would add that other poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Are you sure you didn't forget to remove the plastic wrapper? :haw:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Empty Sandwich posted:

we always make a turkey casserole out of the last of the leftovers: turkey, a little gravy, stuffing, potatoes. bake.

I'm not sure why one would add that other poo poo

Because one’s corporate overlords demand virality for clicks

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also it makes perfect sense to me that the processed cheese in Europe is worse than in the US because we have so many excellent cheeses here that when you want an american cheese you want the most shiny, plasticky piece of garbage you can get. Anything else you just get a proper English cheddar or some nice creamy tangy Gouda, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Are you sure you didn't forget to remove the plastic wrapper? :haw:

Haha yeah, that's what I thought at first. Then I stopped laughing.