Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

First of May posted:

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

No you see, "smells like cat food" means rather undesirable

It's a metaphor, Ralph is well read and is not describing the quality of his cats breath directly

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Ralph is dreaming about his cat eating food, actually

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jestery posted:

It's a metaphor, Ralph is well read and is not describing the quality of his cats breath directly

No no no, someone in the Metafilter thread already made a clear determination on this:

felix betachat in 2007 posted:

Wow, this is strange. Because just the other day, I realized that when Ralph utters his famous line in "Lisa's Rival", he isn't actually using "smells" as an adjective, but as a participle. He means to be saying that his cat's breath contains the olfactory capabilities similar to those of catfood.

Totally changed the way I watch the show. These writers are geniuses.

Someone please dig up a Usenet thread from 1997 with heated debate over the meaning of "That's where I'm a viking."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jestery posted:

No Ralph means his cat's breath smells poorly, just as poorly as cat food.

Coming up with adequate comparisons is where Ralph's a viking

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I can't believe the Simpsons thread is about to be undone by dreams of Vikings, of all things.

Oh wait, I can.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

The people getting this basic joke wrong have given me a genuine headache. You have hurt me by how dumb you are.

Understanding Simpsons jokes is where you're a Viking.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Just empty quoting as a place holder until I figure out a simpson's quote about never go on reddit.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Most people first watched the Simpsons while their brains were still forming. At that age when you don't understand a joke you subconsciously try and build meaning to make sense of it. Kids thinking "that's where I'm a Viking" was some kind of idiom makes a lot of sense, even if it's hilariously wrong.

I thought cromulant was a real word for years.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Isn't it in the dictionary now?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

No, no, no, the meme thread has NOT disbanded!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ooh, he disband thread good.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
See the real problem is not that some people don’t understand that when Ralph says “Yay, sleep! That’s where etc.” he means that he looks forward to dreaming about being a Norse raider; that much is obvious to any thinking person. The real problem is that even those who DO understand what the joke clearly means are parsing it wrong—it’s not “That’s where I’m a Viking” but instead “That’s where I’m a-Viking”, because to go-a-Viking means to go pillaging, raiding, etc. “Viking” is a participle or gerund; one who does it is properly a “Vikingr”.

I hope someone was probated for that blunder.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

lol
viking posting is good

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

End the age of Vikings posting!

Begin the age of Denver Broncos posting!

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I'm at least 20% certain that dubs got this wrong.

Good lord do dubs screw up jokes.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

The problem with the viking dream interpretation is that it just isn't very funny a joke that Ralph dreams of being a viking and is excited about it.

The interpretation that he is using a strange idiom he made up to declare he is good at sleeping is funny on two levels. One, it's funny that Ralph considers himself good at sleeping as if it's a skill. Two, "that's where I'm a viking" as a way to describe yourself as being good at something is just inherently funny unless you're some kind of weirdo and is the sort of thing that Ralph, who is shown repeatedly to be on his own wavelength separate from everyone else, would come up with.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is this "just trolling" too?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

ikanreed posted:

Is this "just trolling" too?

I never troll when it comes to viking posting

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

:dudsmile:

I dug through Google Groups' Usenet archive and, though they did have plenty of results for the Ralph quote in 1997, it was just dozens of threads where people reposted their favorite Ralph quotes without discussion. Just post upon post where people wrote slight variants on the same list everyone else had posted.

The internet of the past is a primitive place. Not a lick of combinatory value to be found!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Isn't it in the dictionary now?

I think it's in quite a few of them. Embiggen definitely is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think there's this divergence because either way it's a loving weird thing to say, even for Ralph. Like I get it, he dreams of being a viking. What I think is so interesting is how much hatred the one side always seems to show.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Teddybear posted:

No, no, no, the meme thread has NOT disbanded!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Apollodorus posted:

See the real problem is not that some people don’t understand that when Ralph says “Yay, sleep! That’s where etc.” he means that he looks forward to dreaming about being a Norse raider; that much is obvious to any thinking person. The real problem is that even those who DO understand what the joke clearly means are parsing it wrong—it’s not “That’s where I’m a Viking” but instead “That’s where I’m a-Viking”, because to go-a-Viking means to go pillaging, raiding, etc. “Viking” is a participle or gerund; one who does it is properly a “Vikingr”.

I hope someone was probated for that blunder.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Baron von Eevl posted:

What I think is so interesting is how much hatred the one side always seems to show.

Christ no kidding. This isn’t dollars in dues, this isn’t even boating v. voting accidents, there’s one obvious correct answer to those and it’s in the scripts. This...it’s just a different interpretation of what turned out to be an ambiguous joke. I don’t understand why the Viking-dreams-only crew is so up in arms about it :shrug:

Bug Squash posted:

Most people first watched the Simpsons while their brains were still forming. At that age when you don't understand a joke you subconsciously try and build meaning to make sense of it. Kids thinking "that's where I'm a Viking" was some kind of idiom makes a lot of sense, even if it's hilariously wrong.

I was 13 when Lisa The Vegetarian first aired. I don’t know if this helps or hinders your theory.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

csammis posted:

Christ no kidding. This isn’t dollars in dues, this isn’t even boating v. voting accidents, there’s one obvious correct answer to those and it’s in the scripts. This...it’s just a different interpretation of what turned out to be an ambiguous joke. I don’t understand why the Viking-dreams-only crew is so up in arms about it :shrug:

It's not ambiguous, though, that's the crazy part.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think there's this divergence because either way it's a loving weird thing to say, even for Ralph. Like I get it, he dreams of being a viking. What I think is so interesting is how much hatred the one side always seems to show.

Very fine people on both sides

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

csammis posted:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Vikings come from where? Scandinavia. And what do we find under Scandinavian bridges? Trolls.

We're through the envelope here, people.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm a viking and so's my wife!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The viking = idiom people managed to craft a much funnier joke using only their brainpower, we should respect and perhaps fear them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bug Squash posted:

I thought cromulant was a real word for years.

How is Simpsons brain formed.

how joke get cromulent.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

The Chad Jihad posted:

The viking = idiom people managed to craft a much funnier joke using only their brainpower, we should respect and perhaps fear them

Their understanding of comedy smells like cat food.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Chad Jihad posted:

https://frinkiac.com/video/S01E08/wG9764gn48P2bbFKhFy0xmioNTs=.mp4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Chad Jihad posted:

The viking = idiom people managed to craft a much funnier joke

It's more of a season 15 joke

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Rarity posted:

It's more of a season 15 joke

Valuable because of scarcity?

Edit: Rare means scarce. I think I need some lunch.

gleebster fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006