Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I usually play STS when I'm stoned as gently caress so, I consider the occasional savescum when I make a really bonedheaded move is fair play to balance out how dumb I am

e: what a shameful snipe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I will replay fights that I lost "for science", but then I abandon the run at the end of the fight. I get to test an alternate line, and try to figure out if I should have gone for that line with the info that I had, but I don't distort my win rate data.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Victory Position posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this and save-scumming like this in general, as you can't pull a mulligan in real-time or by the books. How do you get better when you can rectify fate by making it work in your favor?

Play what you're given and play until you're defeated, don't try and squirm out of it; how else do you learn how not to make poor room and card choices?

Absolutely correct. Savescumming is the sign of a weakness.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean, it depends. I've definitely just clicked the wrong card to add to my deck and quit out. I don't think I cheated anyone with that.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
These days I savescum when I misclick something, but when I was starting out it really did help to savescum some fights to see what I could have done differently. That and making custom runs with drafted decks really helped me getting my head around what synergies and lines worked when I just got the game and struggled with getting my head around how the game works. Actually a few easy custom runs also helped with motivation when I kept losing.

I also played todays daily, after not playing watcher for a bit, and drat, I forgot how silly watcher decks often get. It was a constant stream of "OK, how do I block this big scary attack this turn.... no whait, I just kill".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Victory Position posted:

Play what you're given and play until you're defeated, don't try and squirm out of it; how else do you learn how not to make poor room and card choices?

very easily, imo

replaying a bunch of rote gameplay between meaningful lessons does not teach you those lessons any faster. pretty much the opposite!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yes, and a bootcamp is equivalent to a degree.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It can definitely be useful to replay or take practice runs at the same fight. Actually, I should probably do that more often; I have very little experience with Act 4 and I'd be surprised if it didn't hurt me when I was there. As long as you don't confuse a goal scored in practice with a goal scored in a real game, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
You know speaking of poo poo you forget while playing, I think it’s artifacts that bone me most frequently. Once that row takes up more than half the screen, I gotta slow down and be like oooooookay what does what again? Doubly so for artifacts that activate infrequently like nunchaku.

There’s little interface things like that that I wish were a little better, esp. on console. Reviewing potions/artifacts is a little annoying on PS4.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I only really save scum if I pick the wrong boss relic. That and the one time I forgot to grab the necronomicon after taking all the damage. Usually I just prefer to die and start over.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I can finally share runs easily with the Switch update!

Got the heart down to 2hp before dying but it was my first real Pandora run and now I'm not as iffy on picking it lol

I kept waffling on removing Alpha but didn't and it definitely saved a few encounters for me (also Omniscience into Omega just deletes encounters).

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Really the game should have an "undo" button for cards played until A) you hit End Turn or B) you invoke something that shows you information you wouldnt have, like card draw

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Imagine caring if someone save scums their own game

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

im pretty sure that people can play this game however they want

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Perhaps, the problem is with the negative implications of the word “scum” itself

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Lol gatekeeprs gonna gatekeep.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Wow Corpse Explosion is REALLY good and reminds me of how legendarily broken 'Corpse Explosion' was in the early days of Diablo 2.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I remember when XCOM added an optional modifier that changed the RNG sequence whenever you loaded a game, specifically for people who want to cheese their save, and weirdos lost their poo poo at the idea that someone they'll never meet might cheat their way through a single player game.

Do whatever.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Beamed posted:

Really the game should have an "undo" button for cards played until A) you hit End Turn or B) you invoke something that shows you information you wouldnt have, like card draw

I just want an "undo" or "confirm" button for the major choices you make like adding cards. One misclick and I'm stuck with an intimidate over an offering FOREVER.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

born on a buy you posted:

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.

lol

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I just want an "undo" or "confirm" button for the major choices you make like adding cards. One misclick and I'm stuck with an intimidate over an offering FOREVER.

The undo button is control-f4

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.

Source your quotes

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i only savescum when i go all-in on something that ends up being short of lethal damage. i refuse to be shamed into doing math

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.

will not be commenting on this post. those who do are making a powerful Posting Enemy and will most likely go on to regret it

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
how's the whole "oh so you're lifting weights? why, to get strong? let me tell you about jrpgs" thing go again?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Yoshi Wins posted:

I will replay fights that I lost "for science", but then I abandon the run at the end of the fight. I get to test an alternate line, and try to figure out if I should have gone for that line with the info that I had, but I don't distort my win rate data.

Yeah, I think people are conflating "exploring multiple alternate lines of play to learn new strategies" with "counting it as an honest win." I went through the ascension ladder while save scumming to learn the entire range of options, now I'm going through with absolutely no save-scumming and these are the only runs that actually count as "victories" in my book.

If I don't save scum, then I just do the course of action that seems like the highest percentage of working, and I would never, ever learn any alternate actions that I had been discounting which were actually more effective. But I'm not going to then run in here and say "omg I just beat all 20 ascensions in a row without dying I am so smrt!"

Now that I've save scummed I constantly say, "oooh, here's the best play... or, wait... there were those times when I died and then found out there was a better play, can I do that play? Hmmm..." since the real joy of this game is how many options you can weigh against each other, discovering more options trumps everything for me.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 6, 2020

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’m glad you’ve found a way to live with yourself, OP.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Usually the thing that makes me lose happens several floors before I die, so I scum the poo poo out of anything and everything I can. I ain't giving up a dead branch because I went into wrath and didn't draw any attacks next turn, although I will analyze the "loss" and figure out where I hosed up. Usually it's pathing, followed by greedy deck building.

I've already updated my preferences on the spreadsheet.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

drat horror queefs posted:

I usually play STS when I'm stoned as gently caress so, I consider the occasional savescum when I make a really bonedheaded move is fair play to balance out how dumb I am

Same, my most common is clicking end turn before playing anything

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

eleven extra elephants posted:

Same, my most common is clicking end turn before playing anything

The "long click" menu option helps with this, but even then I've spaced the gently caress out and long clicked a do-nothing turn a few times.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I play with a controller and will often mash A at the end of fights to speed through the "Yes, take gold. Yes, take potion. Yes, take relic" part, which often necessitates a savescum to undo "yes, take Silent discard synergy card." This actually backfires in boss fights now, because they changed it so you can't roll back card choices after you get to the boss relic screen.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

When will a brave mod save scum this thread

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow look at all these herbs who "play the game sober" and "can always pick the card they meant to" and "scold people for the way they play a single player card game"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.

lol

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.

always good to revisit the classics

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am gonna savescum as much as I want in a single player game and there's nothing you can do about it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

I am gonna savescum as much as I want in a single player game and there's nothing you can do about it.

you're never going to get a degree in slay the spire with that attitude

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

shaking with rage, imagining any of the ascension 20 wins here could have had someone click wrong once and ruin the entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I not only don't save scum spire AND have been stuck on a17 watcher, but I also poop sock spire as well.