Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Oh boy, posting

That's where I'm a viking

(Idiom theory is funnier)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Isn't he already a Dane tho

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

People slept on this and that's a loving shame

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody could work out what it meant.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mind the walrus posted:

People slept on this and that's a loving shame
And while they slept they dreamt of being a viking

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jesus Christ the only joke ralph has is that he's simple, if you're looking for anything but the simplest possible interpretation of the things he says you've stunningly missed the point

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Its a dream, but because Ralph is so simple he doesn't know what sleeping or dreaming are, so he doesn't understand he's not literally becoming a Viking.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

One of you idiom folks ask the writers of that episode and post their response here, I want to see how much restraint they have in showing how outright dumbfounded they are by your theory

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

One of you idiom folks ask the writers of that episode and post their response here, I want to see how much restraint they have in showing how outright dumbfounded they are by your theory

Here's what they said:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's an idiom?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

It's more of a season 15 joke

The season 15 joke would be a thought bubble popping up as soon as he laid his head down, depicting smiling, be-horned ralph with a torch, possible saying something like "I'm pillagding!"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You take that back meg, your mom is not an idiom

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rarity posted:

It's more of a season 15 joke

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rarity posted:

What's an idiom?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

What's an idiom?

Turn off your monitor

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Simpsons Meme thread is like a nebula where new jokes are born and it’s incredible to watch it happen in real time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Here's something I thought of after waking from a dream. Sorry there's no vikings. Or happy that it happened to you. Whatever

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

CzarChasm posted:

Here's something I thought of after waking from a dream. Sorry there's no vikings. Or happy that it happened to you. Whatever

Legit good one

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I don't understand the cats breath cat food one. What other interpretation is there other than the cats breath and the cat food having the same scent, and Ralph not realizing that's because the cat eats cat food

E: also Dave Mirkin confirmed the dream version: https://amp.reddit.com/r/TheSimpsons/comments/2nfppo/age_old_question_answered_is_ralph_a_viking_at/

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 5, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
He says “cat poo”

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

me today

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Well all right then! I still like the idiom interpretation but at least it’s settled.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Posters can be very nuts.

Explain how.

Believing incredibly convoluted and arcane interpretations of words said by a character defined by their simplicity

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is Viking meaning "good at" some sort of weird midwesternism? I can't even find a definition of that meaning anywhere, making this extra confusing why anyone would think that's what it meant.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

I love this

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

Is Viking meaning "good at" some sort of weird midwesternism? I can't even find a definition of that meaning anywhere, making this extra confusing why anyone would think that's what it meant.

No, unless they just heard it from this episode

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Some say the Frank Grimes episode was the series' peak and where it really 'became a viking', but for many it was the beginning of the end and it wasn't long before The Simpsons fully 'jumped the viking', as it were.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ikanreed posted:

Believing incredibly convoluted and arcane interpretations of words said by a character defined by their simplicity

No, it's much simpler than that, and I have my professional-writer-wife to thank for what I think is the most likely explanation:

Most people would say that they're a viking "in their dreams", not while sleeping or during sleep or any other phrase involving "sleep." That's mostly because the latter suggests some kind of sleepwalker-turns-viking situation. On the other hand, if you were trying to say you were good at an activity, you might say something like "that's where ______"

So when Ralph says it, the phrase is just odd enough that -- for some of us -- it sounds like he's trying to say he's good at sleeping (unlike at dissecting frogs).

I know, I know, we're talking about Ralph

Wiggum here. I suppose we were just trying to make the phrase sound less wrong and that what or brains came up with.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Goddamn

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Frankly what surprises me is people saying "Ralph dreaming of being a viking isn't even a joke" because, like, that's not the joke?? The joke is that Ralph thinks dreams are real.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

Posters can be very nuts.

Explain how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Trabant posted:

No, it's much simpler than that, and I have my professional-writer-wife to thank for what I think is the most likely explanation:

Most people would say that they're a viking "in their dreams", not while sleeping or during sleep or any other phrase involving "sleep." That's mostly because the latter suggests some kind of sleepwalker-turns-viking situation. On the other hand, if you were trying to say you were good at an activity, you might say something like "that's where ______"

So when Ralph says it, the phrase is just odd enough that -- for some of us -- it sounds like he's trying to say he's good at sleeping (unlike at dissecting frogs).