Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Bleck posted:

Double Dash is the best Mario Kart if you look past the bad controls and mostly awful tracks and the jarring unpleasant items and

In all honesty, I've never understood the near-universal praise for Double Dash. I've played all of them except 7 and I don't think it's even in my top 3 Mario Kart games (that'd be 8/8D, 64, and DS in that order). Double Dash is the game that really started the AI chucking red and blue shells down your throat that's been in the series since, and that alone is a black mark on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm trying to think of a good switch game to give my girlfriend for Christmas. I know she's not into super difficult games or games with a ton of real time combat. Like for instance, she liked BOTW but said she had difficulty with some of the encounters and fighting the bosses. She likes Pokemon games, so I think she is cool with turn-based combat, and games that a more life sim / puzzle-y / narrative-driven. Like some of her favorites on the switch are Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and Pikmin 3. I'm OK with getting a digital game, as long as I can buy a physical card to give her. Some idea I have in my head are Mario Odyssey, Undertale, maybe even the Ace Attorney trilogy. Is there an obvious game I'm missing? I don't really know of any other life sim games that are on the switch, for instance.

It's a real-time-ish puzzler, but Conduct Together is excellent, and I think goes on insane sale often. I'm pretty sure I paid a $1 for it, no regrets. Super fun and unique.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I'm trying to think of a good switch game to give my girlfriend for Christmas. I know she's not into super difficult games or games with a ton of real time combat. Like for instance, she liked BOTW but said she had difficulty with some of the encounters and fighting the bosses. She likes Pokemon games, so I think she is cool with turn-based combat, and games that a more life sim / puzzle-y / narrative-driven. Like some of her favorites on the switch are Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and Pikmin 3. I'm OK with getting a digital game, as long as I can buy a physical card to give her. Some idea I have in my head are Mario Odyssey, Undertale, maybe even the Ace Attorney trilogy. Is there an obvious game I'm missing? I don't really know of any other life sim games that are on the switch, for instance.

Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby Star Allies, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe if she hasn't played it before would be my suggestions.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ratjaculation posted:

Diddy Kong Racing is the best Mario Kart

this post is correct. little airplanes? little hovercraft? Mega-Pigma as a villain? absolutely incredible.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Manoueverable posted:

In all honesty, I've never understood the near-universal praise for Double Dash.

I think that fans of Mario Kart are split neatly between "people who like racing" and "people who like party game," and Double Dash is, of the whole series, the entry most firmly in the latter. There's nothing wrong with liking that aspect, but when it's played up in that angle to the detriment of the other, it's less satisfying for the other kind of fan.

Ratjaculation posted:

Diddy Kong Racing is the best Mario Kart

Yeah!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
diddy kong racing roguelike when

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I might be taking "puzzle-y" too literally here but Baba Is You is a great time. Maybe Katamari?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mario Odyssey isn’t a life sim game or particularly narrative-driven but it’s a drat good time, maybe see if you can still snag that $70 Odyssey/Pro Controller deal at Wal-Mart and give her the download code with her Christmas card? Then keep or sell the controller

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mario Kart peaked on the Super Nintendo.

like Amber and Shadows, all these other games in the series are but a pale reflection of the original.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mario Odyssey is a safe bet, challenging in places but forgiving. But what about something like Two-Point Hospital?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Manoueverable posted:

In all honesty, I've never understood the near-universal praise for Double Dash. I've played all of them except 7 and I don't think it's even in my top 3 Mario Kart games (that'd be 8/8D, 64, and DS in that order). Double Dash is the game that really started the AI chucking red and blue shells down your throat that's been in the series since, and that alone is a black mark on the game.

Baby park

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manoueverable posted:

hi i'm daisy

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I was considering getting the street fighter 30th anniversary collection, it looks like a pretty good deal. But if the pro controller's d-pad is no good for it I'll save my money

If you mash left and right, up and down will activate like 50% of the time, if you play as ken, no problem, if you play as chun-li, it's gonna suck. there is a solution which involves opening the controller and putting some scotch tape or electrical tape onto portions of the contact pads under the dpad, it's not too difficult, I did it, and it improved the dpad immensely, it does however do it still once in a blue moon, but I did a rush job without scissors so I could probably do better.

I also had to do the same thing to my 8bitdo sn30 non +

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Bleck posted:

I think that fans of Mario Kart are split neatly between "people who like racing" and "people who like party game," and Double Dash is, of the whole series, the entry most firmly in the latter. There's nothing wrong with liking that aspect, but when it's played up in that angle to the detriment of the other, it's less satisfying for the other kind of fan.

I think that pretty well articulates it, yeah, cemented by:

Dpulex posted:

Baby park

Baby Park only exists to invite and create chaos, so the "party game" argument aligns perfectly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The best Mario kart thing to bring back is battle mode EXACTLY how it was on the N64

I simply cannot understand how they continuously gently caress it up ever since in otherwise amazing games

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
best thing about mario kart is it's the only f-zero we'll ever see again.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Sakurai not making this daisy's taunt in smash is history's greatest mistake

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Mario Kart peaked on the Super Nintendo.

like Amber and Shadows, all these other games in the series are but a pale reflection of the original.

This is wrong because every iteration since allows you to use the entire screen when playing solo. Mandatory split screen on the SNES version is wack.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

kirbysuperstar posted:

hi i'm daisy
Peach!
hi i'm daisy
Peach!
hi i'm daisy
Peach!
hi i'm daisy
Peach!
hi i'm daisy
Peach!
hi i'm daisy
Peach!

All day, every day

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've only played Double Dash, Wii and 8. 8 feels like the best overall, but between Double Dash and Wii, the controls feel a lot better in Double Dash.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

I'm trying to think of a good switch game to give my girlfriend for Christmas. I know she's not into super difficult games or games with a ton of real time combat. Like for instance, she liked BOTW but said she had difficulty with some of the encounters and fighting the bosses. She likes Pokemon games, so I think she is cool with turn-based combat, and games that a more life sim / puzzle-y / narrative-driven.

Unless she dislikes tactics RPGs, FE:3H seems a good pick.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hated Double Dash because I didn't like the mechanic where if you got hit you'd be slow to speed back up because your teammate was getting dragged around for awhile. That and I couldn't play as the characters I wanted because some of them just had lovely items.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Probably a no, but is there any site like https://isthereanydeal.com/ or https://gg.deals/ for Switch?

And on a brighter note, Amazon informed me that my Switch has been shipped, so delivery tomorrow instead of the 26th.

e:I do know Reddit has a deals/Switch section though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manoueverable posted:

Gamecube nostalgia, much like melee

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OgNar posted:

Probably a no, but is there any site like https://isthereanydeal.com/ or https://gg.deals/ for Switch?

And on a brighter note, Amazon informed me that my Switch has been shipped, so delivery tomorrow instead of the 26th.

https://www.dekudeals.com

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?

abelwingnut posted:

again, i'm willing to buy the deal for the controller and sell the code for odyssey at a discount. pm me!

I’m super behind in this thread but I live in the us and will buy the code from ya but I don’t have pm-ing, if you wanna email me: garrettt@garrettt.net

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for those ideas! Three Houses would be a great fit, but I already have it physically so she can borrow mine any time. Kirby Star Allies is also a really good suggestion.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Thanks

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Your walking speed is two pixels per second but if you hold the run button you can move at three pixels per second. Game clock moves at 10 minutes per second

iirc for stardew, the setting for autorunning is set by default to on!

also to move faster, theres some food/drink buffs that increase speed like coffee :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mario/Rabbids! And/or X-Com depending on if she already likes Mario/Rabbids (because as far as I know X-Com is way harder)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OgNar posted:

DekuDeals is better than at least IsThereAnyDeal for Switch games, because it tracks physical copies at brick-and-mortar retailers as well as digital marketplaces and Amazon.

Thanks for those ideas! Three Houses would be a great fit, but I already have it physically so she can borrow mine any time. Kirby Star Allies is also a really good suggestion.
Jenny Leclue: Detectivu is a mystery/puzzle game with great writing, I'd suggest it if you're looking at Ace Attorney.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DS is the best mario kart because it's the one I played the most when I was a teenager and you could hammer the d-pad to mini-turbo a million times in a row even on straightaways

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Mario Snake DS is the worst snake kart because it was just snaking.

Oh hey a dry bones in the tank didn't think I'd be snaking against one of those today

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dpulex posted:

Mario Snake DS is the worst snake kart because it was just snaking

if a game is 100% snaking I would think that would actually make it an extremely good Snake Kart wouldn't it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly I'm glad fire hopping and snaking aren't in 8 deluxe

I could do both of them, it wasn't hard- but I prefer just racing normally instead of mashing jump after everything or sliding around like a ice level

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Augus posted:

if a game is 100% snaking I would think that would actually make it an extremely good Snake Kart wouldn't it

You would think so, but you would be wrong. There isn't even a snake character

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dpulex posted:

Baby park

Baby Park. 200CC. 10 Laps. :unsmigghh:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wario Kart needs to exist
No blue shells
each kart needs a minigame to start up with a boost

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly I'm glad fire hopping and snaking aren't in 8 deluxe

I could do both of them, it wasn't hard- but I prefer just racing normally instead of mashing jump after everything or sliding around like a ice level

You deserve a badge. A badge that says "good opinions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junkie Disease posted:

Wario Kart needs to exist
No blue shells
each kart needs a minigame to start up with a boost

Wario Kart would just be a minigame to see who can time the boost start as perfectly as possible :colbert:.