Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

malbogio posted:

I found this chart handy for making sure I have team comps that can effectively cycle ults. Xiangling for example has an expensive (80 energy) ult but low particle generation, so I pair her with Bennett to keep the Pyronado spinning. Note: Energy particles & orbs provide 60% of their normal benefit to characters who aren't on the field, and 1/3rd of their normal benefit if they're of a different element than the receiving character. So only 20% benefit for teammates of different elements who aren't on the field.

Combine sufficient particle generation with her c4 that increases ult time by 40% and Chongyun's c2 for 15% cooldown reduction and you can keep Pyronado spinning for 14s on 17s cooldown.

Geo MC supremacy

everyone run him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ultiville posted:

Am I missing any good options for dealing with the cryo agents? I only have Bennett as a competent source of pyro damage and obviously he's a great one but since he relies on the cooldowns to actually do pyro, and there's the Spiral Abyss level where you face them on both sides, it's not really ideal. I can probably grind through that Abyss level by virtue of being overleveled but it's a real unfun slog taking those guys down without being able to clear the shield. At the same time, the idea of leveling up Amber just for that one thing seems like a big waste of grind time.

Just in case you weren't aware already, shields don't care about levels or damage or anything like that, all they care about is the element. A level 1 Amber will break a cryo shield just as fast as a level 90 one.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well I have Razor now which makes my Investment into my now C1 Xinyang feel very silly, but I love my southern fried Chinese rockstar anyway.

Is there like a maximum you should invest into people you aren't going to run? I don't feel like I should be worrying about this but i'm starting to feel the pinch with regards to resources and I guess Razor could be my new main DPS, but I've invested a fair amount into other candidates at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You will probably have a good baseline for all your characters in a few months. The days when you don't need to desperate grind up your single DPS trickles down.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Tarezax posted:

You should have gotten a free Xiangling from clearing abyss 3-3. She should be able to melt those cryo shields fine.

Oh yeah, I forgot about her in the big pile of characters I rarely use somehow, probably a better option than Amber, anyway.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I'm chongus

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I actually run Geo MC as my main carry because my first five star was an Aquila Favonus and the second was Mona and I figured, might as well build up the character that's always going to be in party during exploration.

They are actually quite good. Not quite as high DPS as most carries, but auto-shielding, guaranteed c6, and that energy generation (which I'd noticed on my own) go a looooong way. Plus, of course, there's all the tricks you can do with starfall once you get used to aiming it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Traveler is also a safe investment because eventually they will be able to fill any element to fill holes you might have in your roster. Plus the constellations are guaranteed and the ascension materials don't compete with other characters too much. The tricky thing is talent levels being per element so there's significant opportunity cost to investing in a particular element.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bounties are loving annoying.

That is all.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

MarcusSA posted:

Bounties are loving annoying.

That is all.

Disagree, they're way more interesting than the daily chores, leylines etc.

You sometimes actually have to think about what you're doing instead of just sleepwalking up to them and then hurfing all your DPS buttons in their direction.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ashenai posted:

Disagree, they're way more interesting than the daily chores, leylines etc.

You sometimes actually have to think about what you're doing instead of just sleepwalking up to them and then hurfing all your DPS buttons in their direction.

:wrong:

They also don’t drop anything which is kinda bullshit.

Also having to climb up and over a mountain because the elemental sight sucks.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I just unlocked the cold cut platter and, uh

as far as I can tell this is a direct damage bonus that stacks

what stops me from running everything with like ten at a time? surely it has to be counterbalanced somehow

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Log082 posted:

I actually run Geo MC as my main carry because my first five star was an Aquila Favonus and the second was Mona and I figured, might as well build up the character that's always going to be in party during exploration.

They are actually quite good. Not quite as high DPS as most carries, but auto-shielding, guaranteed c6, and that energy generation (which I'd noticed on my own) go a looooong way. Plus, of course, there's all the tricks you can do with starfall once you get used to aiming it.

I'd like geo MC if their rocks weren't so loving huge and annoying

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Andrast posted:

Also if they didn’t regularly reset glitch mobs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Also if they didn’t regularly reset glitch mobs.

in my mind that was included in the "annoying" part

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ruffian Price posted:

what stops me from running everything with like ten at a time? surely it has to be counterbalanced somehow

foods don't stack at all afaik. you can also only have one food buff of each type (eg offensive/defensive) active at a time.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Geo MC would be better if enemies could also accidentally climb on the rock, get confused and be sitting ducks for five seconds

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

malbogio posted:

I found this chart handy for making sure I have team comps that can effectively cycle ults. Xiangling for example has an expensive (80 energy) ult but low particle generation, so I pair her with Bennett to keep the Pyronado spinning. Note: Energy particles & orbs provide 60% of their normal benefit to characters who aren't on the field, and 1/3rd of their normal benefit if they're of a different element than the receiving character. So only 20% benefit for teammates of different elements who aren't on the field.

Combine sufficient particle generation with her c4 that increases ult time by 40% and Chongyun's c2 for 15% cooldown reduction and you can keep Pyronado spinning for 14s on 17s cooldown.
Awesome chart. Xiangling + Bennett is my favorite team as well, whatever "carry" I'm using is just along for the ride.

Surprised at how good a battery Razor is. His E is a really powerful ability it seems. And as for Venti... is there anything this guy can't do!?

Interesting that 5*s don't seem innately advantaged, maybe because their energy requirements are lower to start with. This is a really important chart for making comps given how ult-centric the game can become late game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 5, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

And as for Venti... is there anything this guy can't do!?

be obtained by anyone who started playing the game late

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
You don't have to do the gliding challenge every day, right? You can do all of them on the last day if you want?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm gonna do something stupid and try to level all my characters to at least 50

IDK It would just make my numbers brain feel better

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ashenai posted:

You don't have to do the gliding challenge every day, right? You can do all of them on the last day if you want?

I think? If you can still do Day 1's today, then yes.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I've been getting kicked from domain groups before they even begin because "Geo is crap" and I main Ningguang. This only really started up after Zhongli was released. :sigh:

fwiw i've never had this happen and also run Ning almost every co-op, you're probably just running into low level noobs who don't know the game well enough. Most experienced players know geo can be fine

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I say this a lot but people take Xiangling for granted. I'm convinced Pyronado is the best ult in the game and if there were anything else on its level I would try building my entire second team around it. Xingqiu's Q is hyped but I don't find it performs nearly as well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

Surprised at how good a battery Razor is. His E is a really powerful ability it seems. And as for Venti... is there anything this guy can't do!?
He can't heal and his autoattacks are kinda mediocre, but he enables your characters that do those things so not really, no. Also that chart isn't taking into account the energy refund from his Burst to characters of matching element to the absorption, so his ability to generate energy is actually higher even than the chart suggests.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

No Wave posted:

I say this a lot but people take Xiangling for granted. I'm convinced Pyronado is the best ult in the game and if there were anything else on its level I would try building my entire second team around it. Xingqiu's Q is hyped but I don't find it performs nearly as well.

It just really depends on who he's supporting and what they want. Also worth taking into account is that Xingqiu's E is a very respectable amount of burst damage with decent gear, especially if you have a Sacrificial Sword for him.

He's probably the best support in the game for Chongyun because popsicle boy is really reliant on Freeze & Shatter spam to make his damage output accelerate. He also works well with Diluc to enable big Vaporize hits pretty easily.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Bennett's energy generation vastly outperforms these estimates as it assumes his cooldown is 5s when ascensions are enough to drop it to 4s without ult, 2s with ult.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo C6 Diona is legit. That shield is drat strong.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

No Wave posted:

IME having Pyronado and Glacial Waltz up at the same time absolutely obliterates everything; it's part of the reason I still use Kaeya all the time.

Does anybody else try to get more hits out of Pyronado by dodging/running counter-clockwise around enemies instead of focusing on normal attacks? I haven't done the math or anything but it seems like a higher-value approach compared to my pitiful non-Crescent Pike spear damage.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Squiddycat posted:

I'm gonna do something stupid and try to level all my characters to at least 50

IDK It would just make my numbers brain feel better

That used to be stupid, but it's actually not anymore! One of the 1.2 changes is that you're going to get an extra pull each time you ascend a character at levels 20, 50, and 70.

The 70 ascension is probably a bit much to do with someone you're not using just for a pull, but the 20 and 50 ascensions are probably worth doing on all your characters if you can manage them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

1-20 costs 7 hero's wit, 20-50 costs 58 hero's wit.

I'm a ways off from being able to shrug the second one off. That's about a day and a half of leylines.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
It's not a "drop everything and get your dudes up to 50" thing for sure, but I think it's something we'll all do eventually, once we're done with the more urgent stuff.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I dropped everything and got everyone but Zhongli to fifty because I had the mats and it was fun. I would've done Zhongli too but he wants my precious cor lapis.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

this is fair, but also the thing you quickly get used to if you play enough. They stop being huge and annoying and start being huge and useful. Without even going galaxy brain on the AI like that video that got posted, I regularly drop them between me and, say, archers I haven't gotten to yet, or even just melee enemies I want to stay over there for a while. You also very quickly get a feel for how to drop them so that they launch enemies instead of appearing under them. this is particularly easy to do once you realize it's easiest when you're already in the mob's face, hitting it with a sword.

The rocks are extremely useful CC tools once you get used to them that also do reasonable damage. You just have to get a feel for them. It seems to me like most people got (justifiably) annoyed at the first few times they glitched a reset or got stuck on them and never used them again, but you can do so much with just a little bit of practice.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

It's a mega pain in the rear end to make and you need a billion raw meats.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ruffian Price posted:

It doesn't work in the abyss, but otherwise sure go crazy.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Log082 posted:

this is fair, but also the thing you quickly get used to if you play enough. They stop being huge and annoying and start being huge and useful. Without even going galaxy brain on the AI like that video that got posted, I regularly drop them between me and, say, archers I haven't gotten to yet, or even just melee enemies I want to stay over there for a while. You also very quickly get a feel for how to drop them so that they launch enemies instead of appearing under them. this is particularly easy to do once you realize it's easiest when you're already in the mob's face, hitting it with a sword.

The rocks are extremely useful CC tools once you get used to them that also do reasonable damage. You just have to get a feel for them. It seems to me like most people got (justifiably) annoyed at the first few times they glitched a reset or got stuck on them and never used them again, but you can do so much with just a little bit of practice.

Yeah TBQH they are absolutely terrific tools, they just break up encounters and mess with enemy AI so much. But quite frankly right now whatever it is I'm CCing likely can't kill me before I can kill it, so what's the point?

It's the same way I feel about Zhongli's carbonitic hibernation. I'd rather have a team member set up or complete an elemental reaction I can take advantage of and actually vaporize them rather than put them on hold for later. Right now with the only real challenge and consistent rewards in the game being beat-the-clock it's hard to argue for delaying actions.

I mean the obvious thing to do is to introduce mechanics/combat/reward that demand or at least benefit from control of the enemies or battleground. But I don't know how that fits into the whole gacha thing or whether or not this company has any idea what to do with their pachinko game that people turned out to enjoy playing in spite of or on top of the waifu gambling mechanic. I mean I have to assume there is some core creative team that either built or stole some very good combat, exploration, and world-building. I guess the question is whether mihoyo ever sees that as the goal and not the hook.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Aside from being unable to use food in abyss your team is limited to one offensive buff, one defensive buff, and one utility buff (ex. cheaper sprinting).

If you eat two offense-boosting foods in a row the effects of the first one are immediately lost even if it provided a better buff.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The main consideration I have when thinking about the CC of Geo Traveler and Zhongli is, can I do the same thing with Venti and also get way more damage? The answer is usually yes. Petra set bonus is powerful but requires picking up a crystal with the set holder so if Zhongli tags in to meteor he's still got to go grab the crystal before he leaves. Viridescent rewards playing the same way one already does. There are instances with heavier enemies where Venti's CC doesn't do as much and screwing up enemy AI with Starfell Sword or petrifying them is better, but unless I need the shields too I feel like going with Venti (or Sucrose, or VV set Anemo Traveler) is generally about as good.

However, Traveler is still a solid investment because they can only get better as they gain access to more elements. It's kind of funny to me that they won't have access to a Melt or Vaporize reaction for another year or somesuch though, since the next two elements are Electro and Dendro. But hey, maybe Electro will be physical-oriented (playing off Kaeya for F2P Superconduct), or Dendro will turn out to be an absolutely insane element to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Nakar posted:

The main consideration I have when thinking about the CC of Geo Traveler and Zhongli is, can I do the same thing with Venti and also get way more damage? The answer is usually yes. Petra set bonus is powerful but requires picking up a crystal with the set holder so if Zhongli tags in to meteor he's still got to go grab the crystal before he leaves. Viridescent rewards playing the same way one already does. There are instances with heavier enemies where Venti's CC doesn't do as much and screwing up enemy AI with Starfell Sword or petrifying them is better, but unless I need the shields too I feel like going with Venti (or Sucrose, or VV set Anemo Traveler) is generally about as good.

However, Traveler is still a solid investment because they can only get better as they gain access to more elements. It's kind of funny to me that they won't have access to a Melt or Vaporize reaction for another year or somesuch though, since the next two elements are Electro and Dendro. But hey, maybe Electro will be physical-oriented (playing off Kaeya for F2P Superconduct), or Dendro will turn out to be an absolutely insane element to be.

Unfortunately it seems like those of us who didn't start off in the game are not going to be able to do anything with Venti, so it's still relevant that the Jade Curtain and other constructs have some pretty nice utility in breaking up the battlefield.