Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Vietnam is a legitimately strong team and it's a pity they didn't beat the snake and mbl.

I'm also sad that Norway hasn't played against the USA, I really looked forward to watch Viper and MbL trip over themselves to troll T90.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man once you cross that 800 threshold you better start walling if you're going FC or produce some sort of feudal military or something or you're gonna get screwed by feudal aggression. Lost a bunch of games yesterday to people going heavy on the archers. If you're scrambling to place a rax then range while they're en route to your base, it's too late.

And I just plain can't produce enough wood early on.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm also sad that Norway hasn't played against the USA, I really looked forward to watch Viper and MbL trip over themselves to troll T90.

God it'd be funny if they lost due to doing so

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I'm the opposite of you at 880 ELO. I mostly play early aggression because I fall apart in the late game. I suck on Arena so bad.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My usual crew is still utterly poo poo at this game and five of us struggled over 70 minutes to beat three Hardest AI. By the time it was over I'd lost over 1,350 units and killed only 500 enemy units in return :buddy:

I played with other two friends in a 3 v 5 against the AI and I got swept so bad I had to relocate my base inside my friends. We still have not finished the game after 8 hours but I have lost already 3600 units and 119 buildings.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
How long it took both of you to get from your first game to 800 ELO? Some day I will jump into multiplayer but my goddamned hands feels so clumsy and slow.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Angry Lobster posted:

How long it took both of you to get from your first game to 800 ELO? Some day I will jump into multiplayer but my goddamned hands feels so clumsy and slow.

This is how I feel. Once I was king, now I'll start a game and try to act super fast but realize I've forgotten to queue up any new villagers.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I just tried Quick Play yesterday, me and two friends in a party, and we got completely uberfucked by the opposite team. gently caress that, I'll just keep on playing co-op with friends or singleplayer.

Speaking of singleplayer, any good scenarios you guys recommend? I've played Finehair: The Conquest of Norway, pretty good stuff. The Last Neanderthal is very interesting as well.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

hump day bitches! posted:

I played with other two friends in a 3 v 5 against the AI and I got swept so bad I had to relocate my base inside my friends. We still have not finished the game after 8 hours but I have lost already 3600 units and 119 buildings.

Holy poo poo. The longest AoE game I can recall was about six hours realtime. Just did 3v4AI on Hardest -- same crew minus one of us -- and somehow wiped the floor with the AI. This game is loving weird. All I can take from this is that I do better as Britons than I do as Japanese.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Ranked 1v1 is for sure the most balanced way to have fun and reasonably well-matched games. The first 10 or so games are all placement matches that have a bigger change in your Elo, so there's no reason not to jump in.

You might lose a lot at the beginning, but by the time you've done 10 games you will be much closer to people at your own skill level. Whether it's 600, 800, 1000 Elo or whatever, it's a lot more fun when you're both more evenly matched.

The quick play option looks like it can't really take that into account so you still end up with really one-sided games sometimes. Anyone who is unsure should jump into ranked 1v1 and just give it a go. Works for team games too, but that's definitely more fun when you can coordinate with a couple of people and not just play with random teammates.

Also, the Saracen bonus + team bonus for siege archers is still the best, nothing better than catching people off guard and tearing down production buildings and TCs with 20-30 crossbows before they can respond. It works great to quickly take out houses and put on some more pressure as well.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody wants to talk about my wood problems.

Toast King posted:

Also, the Saracen bonus + team bonus for siege archers is still the best, nothing better than catching people off guard and tearing down production buildings and TCs with 20-30 crossbows before they can respond. It works great to quickly take out houses and put on some more pressure as well.

This especially owns with Chu ko nu or obsidian arrows if you're mayans

Negostrike posted:

I just tried Quick Play yesterday, me and two friends in a party, and we got completely uberfucked by the opposite team. gently caress that, I'll just keep on playing co-op with friends or singleplayer.

Speaking of singleplayer, any good scenarios you guys recommend? I've played Finehair: The Conquest of Norway, pretty good stuff. The Last Neanderthal is very interesting as well.

Yeah there are a lot of people who play in "noobs only" games who have no business doing so

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 28, 2020

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody wants to talk about my wood problems.

The thing that helped me most with having enough wood on aging up is moving villagers across to have 8-10 on wood as soon as you click up to Feudal Age. Then adding a few more if making lots of archers, but otherwise that works well. Gives you enough wood for a couple of feudal buildings + a house or two without slowing anything down.

I'd always be low on wood at the start of Castle Age too and realised it was from the auto farm reseeding. Instead of using that early on, when farms ran out on the way up to Castle Age I started moving them to wood as well, and suddenly had a few hundred wood extra to actually make the things I needed.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 29, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just got dumpstered in my first online game. Random civ, got the portuguese, and realized I have no idea what they do. I know they're a boat civ and I was on Arabia vs huns so.

Is it better to just pick one civ and hammer them out?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Negostrike posted:

I haven't tried "quick play" yet. Did it put you all into lobby game or a ranked game? If it was a lobby game then I think that's just to be expected: lobbies have pretty much always sucked. Ranked ladder results in much more even matches, but even still teams are harder to balance than 1v1.

StashAugustine and I did a bunch of 2v2 games together a few months ago and I'll admit it was fun being the ones usually doing the "uberfucking."

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just got dumpstered in my first online game. Random civ, got the portuguese, and realized I have no idea what they do. I know they're a boat civ and I was on Arabia vs huns so.

Maybe pick like 2 or 3 civs with different strengths (maybe an archer civ and a cavalry civ) to focus on and choose based on what map you get and what strategy you want to use.

Your first few ranked games are likely to be stomps like this. After like 5 games the Elo system does a much better job matching you with comparable players.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I only play random but honestly it might be a good idea especially if you're learning or relearning the game. Maybe one without much of an eco bonus so you don't get too dependent on it. Saracens without market use should qualify plus they'll rip Huns a new rear end in a top hat at every age lol

Gmaz posted:

I'm the opposite of you at 880 ELO. I mostly play early aggression because I fall apart in the late game. I suck on Arena so bad.

I don't think I've lost an arena game that I've stuck around for lol.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I kind of dread arena games when I see that's the map because while I don't like going offensive in feudal I like the option to and arena seems pretty much a race first to castles, then rams, then trebs. But I have noticed that I tend to have an extremely varied army composition. It's not like you'll just mass knights or crossbows or whatever. No, you'll see very diverse combined arms poo poo. It's honestly kind of exciting in its own way if you're willing to wait 20-25 minutes. I had a game the other day as Franks against persians where by the end I had produced Paladins, elite throwing axemen, pikes, monks, elite skirms, trebs, mangonels and bombard cannons and all of those except the pikes were in play in the final push. Hell, I even burst his wall with a couple petards where there weren't any houses on the side opposite and went raiding for a bit to buy me some more time

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Harveygod posted:

I haven't tried "quick play" yet. Did it put you all into lobby game or a ranked game? If it was a lobby game then I think that's just to be expected: lobbies have pretty much always sucked. Ranked ladder results in much more even matches, but even still teams are harder to balance than 1v1.

StashAugustine and I did a bunch of 2v2 games together a few months ago and I'll admit it was fun being the ones usually doing the "uberfucking."

Quick Play seems to be outside of ranked matches because it didn't count in my record. So yeah, it doesn't seem to be balanced at all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Harveygod posted:

I'd be down for some goon games once I get done with college in 2 weeks or so, its great fun and basically the only way I'd play team ranked.

I'm still just picking a civ or two and playing a dozen games or so to get used to all of them- I started with Magyar for Maximum Scout Rush but there's probably better options. Also worth noting that until the most recent patch Portuguese were considered garbage especially on 1v1 open land maps, idk if their recent buff (all techs faster) made enough of a difference

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Portuguese are firmly "okay" at this point, but when you're not playing at a high level it's still not a huge deal. At least in what I've experienced around 1100-1200 Elo, you can win matches just as easily with any civ as long as you're making good larger-scale decisions and keeping your economy running in the background.

Some will have an obvious economy advantage or strong unit type, but that easily balances out if that person makes mistakes or you catch them off guard with an early attack. At least in 1v1 matches, most games are decided during Castle Age anyway so even the less powerful civs have a good chance to win.

I usually pick 2-3 civs that look fun to me and just rotate between them, swapping out for new ones every once in a while. Right now Saracens and Malians are my favourite since they can do everything pretty well. Saracen market / Malian wood discount on buildings means it's a lot easier to switch into different units without as much notice which has really helped me lately.

An even bigger bonus: since they don't have 1 predictable build/unit type for feudal/castle age, your opponent never really knows what to expect. For something like Franks or Magyars you get a scout rush/knights 99% of the time, which makes it a lot easier to plan for. Surprise factor is always a big one.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 29, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Regarding Portuguese, never underestimate the value of gunpowder units in castle and if you can get a critical mass of organ guns out you're going to be sitting pretty after a point. And that 20% gold cheaper bonus is considerable either for making gold units or freeing up miners for non gold ones, namely skirms and pikes to screen your guns. Portuguese have excellent monk tree too and they're only 80 gold so you can convert knights readily to protect your guns/keep siege at bay or just get redemption and start converting their mangonels yourself. Or just buy your own knights since lmao they're only 60 gold.

Plus you can repair them with your forward villagers! Drop a castle forward, toss up some palisades for your guns and start chipping away at the fringes of their main.

Has anyone played the Cicero BO scenarios? I don't see how anyone is getting a decent grade on this poo poo. All my resources get exhausted long before the scenario prompts me to move them elsewhere. It's telling me to have x/x number on sheep while all my sheep have long since disappeared a few minutes back it seems. Or boar. Or berries.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any news if the AoE3 HD edition got unfucked? I mean like, the crashes and rebalancing they probably have to do with the decision to remove ore mining from the Native civs, of course.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

Regarding Portuguese, never underestimate the value of gunpowder units in castle and if you can get a critical mass of organ guns out you're going to be sitting pretty after a point. And that 20% gold cheaper bonus is considerable either for making gold units or freeing up miners for non gold ones, namely skirms and pikes to screen your guns. Portuguese have excellent monk tree too and they're only 80 gold so you can convert knights readily to protect your guns/keep siege at bay or just get redemption and start converting their mangonels yourself. Or just buy your own knights since lmao they're only 60 gold.

Plus you can repair them with your forward villagers! Drop a castle forward, toss up some palisades for your guns and start chipping away at the fringes of their main.

Has anyone played the Cicero BO scenarios? I don't see how anyone is getting a decent grade on this poo poo. All my resources get exhausted long before the scenario prompts me to move them elsewhere. It's telling me to have x/x number on sheep while all my sheep have long since disappeared a few minutes back it seems. Or boar. Or berries.

I just played the build order scenarios enough times until I was comfortable pulling it off in multiplayer, didn't worry too much about the grading since as you say sometimes the resources would run out or the timing would be off a bit.

Portuguese sound fun now, I think I'll have to try them out. Mostly I've been enjoying scout rushes with Turks.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can consistently get As and A+s on the M@A and Scout builds, but only up until I hit feudal, then get Bs or Cs on the rest, build orders get kinda loose after dark age so I don't really pay too much attention to that, what you do when you reach feudal really depends on what your opponent is doing and what you've been able to scout.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Turks got a great scout rush because once you get to castle it instantly becomes a light cav rush.

Then you get to make the fun choice of going for a castle and Janissaries or the meatiest cav archers you ever did see lol. If you've got the gold income maybe both.

Worst trash units ever though. Sub celts. God they're bad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm liking franks but man I suck at castle age+ where I have to manage a bunch of military while keeping my economy rolling. Free farm upgrades and dropping a bunch of "gently caress you" castles on equally poo poo players saves my lovely rear end sometimes tho :D

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

T90 swears by forward castle drops in LEL and from personal experience he's right and the Franks are so good at it. Plus axemen own rams. Franks are fun as hell in general. I remember when they didn't have berry bonus. Dark days

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Hera has been playing Franks non-stop for the last couple days.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 2, 2020

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

I like cavalry civs in general, but recently I discovered the mangudai. Sooo satisfying to play

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Nice to see some activity in the thread.

My team random map rank is bouncing between 16-1700, but I've yet to play a single 1v1 game. Sometimes I'm carrying, and sometimes I'm the one getting carried, but my early Feudal can be easily exploited and I'm bad at scouting.

How different is 1v1 from team games? Anything particular I should keep in mind?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

Any news if the AoE3 HD edition got unfucked? I mean like, the crashes and rebalancing they probably have to do with the decision to remove ore mining from the Native civs, of course.
You can probably play 1v1 non-treaty without crashes most of the time. Balance is fine. It's better than TAD balance and probably just as good as esoc patch.

Native civs are in a weird place where the mine change actually helps vs harassment but native civs aren't exactly new player friendly and they'd benefit most from the change. I've no idea if they will change the balance of it, but probably because it doesn't seem popular with anyone.

Single player is still pretty messed up.

Crashes aren't fixed. If you play in a long game or with more than 1v1 player counts you have a pretty good chance of crashing. In most games > 20 mins it crashes.

AoE3 annoys me more than any other age game because it has all the components to be the best in the series but they managed to stick them together with bubble gum leaving aoe2 as king. AoE1 DM (cho war is still a favorite) & AoE2 RM are still good fun. AoE3 is also the only RTS game people I know ever want to play except the goons I added on steam from the gbs aoe2 thread a while ago.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 3, 2020

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

How different is 1v1 from team games? Anything particular I should keep in mind?

The main difference is needing to be more reactive and including counter units like spearmen/skirmishers where needed. Most team games are full gold units with trade, usually knights/paladins or crossbow/arbalesters depending on your position. I've found games are a lot of fun since you're way more likely to be evenly matched and not carried by anyone.

My friend group has a lower TG rating overall so we try other dumb things and mess around and most of them don't play any 1v1 games. So we don't always play as effectively with those specific combos.

1v1 is good practice for scouting, since you're much closer together and only focused on each other. Feudal/Castle Age fights are much bigger game deciders too. If you're able to deny some key resources at the right times things can quickly snowball in your favour, since there's no opposing teammate to swoop in with knights to wipe out your raiding archer army etc.

I also have more fun playing different strategies in 1v1, especially when a certain unit is always expected from your civ. Doesn't quite work as well in TGs when everyone is counting on knights or crossbow support from you.

Last thing: you might be matched with better players at first if it's placing you higher from your TG Elo. If you power through you'll be back to even matches quickly though.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 3, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

T90 swears by forward castle drops in LEL and from personal experience he's right and the Franks are so good at it. Plus axemen own rams. Franks are fun as hell in general. I remember when they didn't have berry bonus. Dark days

Yeah what I'm finding at poo poo tier elo is that my opponents always outpace me, but if I can drop a nice castle or two, and especially if it's near something that looks juicy like my second or third TC, I can fight beneath it with knights and axes and something to fight spears and waste a ton of the enemy's resources. Then eventually I get to imperial and roll them with paladins/trebs/champions + whatever counters my opponent's units if the others don't. I'm always on the back foot the whole game and then steamroll. I assume this strat will not be as good once I start playing people that won't fight under my castles.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Hello AoE goons, let's talk about the 2v2 World Cup, which has entered now the play-offs. You can check the results here. Any of you has been following it? It's been really good so far.

I was watching Nili's predictions video and I want to ask you AoE goons about who do you think will realistically win and which team you hope would win.

The big crowd favorite is Norway A, (for obvious reasons) although Brazil A and Chinese A are up there as well. Personally, I bet on Brazil A to go the distance, they are on great form. However the team I'm really rooting for is Spain A, TatoH is great on team games and Laaan has improved a lot as well, however they have a very tough bracket to even reach the finals.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

My money is on Finland A or China A personally, both just play on a different level compared to everyone else (outside of Brazil A and Norway A). Both teams control space in ways that seem (to me, a novice) constantly innovative and difficult to counter without a lot of prior exposure. Norway and Brazil are both incredibly good but a bit too "conventional" to win the finals outright -- though either will put up a hell of a fight going down anyways. Think Canada has a decent chance at taking down Norway before the finals as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It amuses me that it seems all of the streamers have adopted the same weird pronunciations for certain things in this game. Kmurr, malleans, halbadiers

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It amuses me that it seems all of the streamers have adopted the same weird pronunciations for certain things in this game. Kmurr, malleans, halbadiers

TOOOOtens!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm watching Spain vs Argentina A and I must take back whatever good things I've said about Laaan, he's screwing up too much, even TatoH can't carry that much.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

T90 mispronouncing things and turning them into a meme is kind of tradition by now.

Edit: Jesus Christ, the third game in Spain vs Argentina is one of the craziest things I've ever seen, how the hell are they coming back.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 6, 2020

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

quote:

Jesus Christ, the third game in Spain vs Argentina is one of the craziest things I've ever seen, how the hell are they coming back.
Almost a replay of Germany - Argentina, literally the same thing happned. Do we want to put results in spoiler tags, do people care ITT?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gmaz posted:

Almost a replay of Germany - Argentina, literally the same thing happned. Do we want to put results in spoiler tags, do people care ITT?

So I've heard, this series felt closer than the end result suggest. About the spoiler tags, not sure is worth it, there's not that much movement ITT.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Where can I find these games to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Where can I find these games to watch?

https://www.youtube.com/c/T90Official/videos

There's also usually reruns on the twitch channel by the same name. Today's is currently rerunning https://www.twitch.tv/t90official

I'm watching it as we post!