Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CodfishCartographer posted:

Frankly what surprises me is people saying "Ralph dreaming of being a viking isn't even a joke" because, like, that's not the joke?? The joke is that Ralph thinks dreams are real.

Finally.

Can we put this to rest now? That's :thejoke:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Ralph's seed and feed (formally vikings)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't understand the cats breath cat food one. What other interpretation is there other than the cats breath and the cat food having the same scent, and Ralph not realizing that's because the cat eats cat food

E: also Dave Mirkin confirmed the dream version: https://amp.reddit.com/r/TheSimpsons/comments/2nfppo/age_old_question_answered_is_ralph_a_viking_at/

Sometimes Hellworld produces a flower :allears:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've used the phrase "that's where I'm a viking" to brag about something so many times. This is world shattering.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:dudsmile:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Trabant posted:

No, it's much simpler than that, and I have my professional-writer-wife to thank for what I think is the most likely explanation:

Most people would say that they're a viking "in their dreams", not while sleeping or during sleep or any other phrase involving "sleep." That's mostly because the latter suggests some kind of sleepwalker-turns-viking situation. On the other hand, if you were trying to say you were good at an activity, you might say something like "that's where ______"

So when Ralph says it, the phrase is just odd enough that -- for some of us -- it sounds like he's trying to say he's good at sleeping (unlike at dissecting frogs).

I know, I know, we're talking about Ralph

Wiggum here. I suppose we were just trying to make the phrase sound less wrong and that what or brains came up with.

That doesn't line up with the dialogue on the scene your absolute weirdo

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's a metaphors.

The piss is their posting.

E: also, that post reads like Shapiro's dry wife tweet.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Clearly the metaphor interpretation isn’t that crazy because apparently half the internet interpreted it that way. To most people it was probably just another weird thing that Ralph said to go along with all the other weird things he says all the time and they didn’t think about it much beyond that.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACgkwyuA-w

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The "wookie" represents the Foucauldian concept of capillary power and it being "bent" is clearly post structuralism. It's so obvious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I actually thought that the joke was that Ralph meant to say Champion instead of Viking, but he's Ralph, so of course he gets it wrong.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

sweet geek swag posted:

I actually thought that the joke was that Ralph meant to say Champion instead of Viking, but he's Ralph, so of course he gets it wrong.

Exactly, Ralph says weird, incorrect stuff all the time, like “Principal Skinner I got carsick in your office” and “one of the babies looked at me.”

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Ralph doesn't say weird stuff all the time, he says dumb stuff all the time.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm fully idiom-pilled now

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is going to sound insane, maybe, but I'm trying to find a specific scene from the golden years were a seemingly small character who might look like Troy McClure has a long, somewhat dark-in-tone laugh fit, pounding his desk or something while cracking up about some mild topic for a good 10 seconds or so. I don't really have much else to go on besides that. Does anyone else remember this scene or am I completely making it up in my head?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sweet geek swag posted:

Why would he confuse those two words in particular though? "Ralph says a completely unrelated word" is not a joke.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

imagine being outwitted by a wiggum

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

HMS Beagle posted:

Ralph doesn't say weird stuff all the time, he says dumb stuff all the time.

“Oh boy, sleep! That’s where I’m a Viking!” is both weird AND dumb

So is “I got carsick in your office”

Most things he says can be categorized as weird and/or dumb, so I’m not entirely sure what your point is

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

Why would he confuse those two words in particular though? "Ralph says a completely unrelated word" is not a joke.

I'm a dream supporter, but I think the logic is champion = warrior from a long time ago, viking = warrior from a long time ago, thus champion = viking

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus this latest one makes "dollars in dues" seem brilliant in comparison.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm fully idiom-pilled now

:getin:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm a dream supporter, but I think the logic is champion = warrior from a long time ago, viking = warrior from a long time ago, thus champion = viking

But "Sleep! That's where I'm a champion!" still implies you're dreaming about being a champion. Even if you say "the best" it implies dreaming about being the best. At least to me, "verb! That's where I'm adjective!" doesn't sound like a natural turn of phrase for describing how adjective you are at verb.

Maybe there's a dialect difference here? Maybe some people really would phrase things that way.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is going to sound insane, maybe, but I'm trying to find a specific scene from the golden years were a seemingly small character who might look like Troy McClure has a long, somewhat dark-in-tone laugh fit, pounding his desk or something while cracking up about some mild topic for a good 10 seconds or so. I don't really have much else to go on besides that. Does anyone else remember this scene or am I completely making it up in my head?

Burns' Heir where Burns laughs at itchy and scratchy for far too long?

Like a hog!

Or the one where Burns mashes up the irishman on his carnival electric scooter ride thing and laughs about the memory for a long time?

e: no you mean the guy pointing and laughing at the camera through the tv. The gif was posted recently in this thread I think.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I think Ralph get stupider every year

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
If someone said “sleep is where I’m a champion” I would assume they’re saying that they’re really good at sleeping, not that they were dreaming about being a champion. It’s a weird way of saying it, but I wouldn’t assume they were talking about dreams being real or whatever

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yall ever see a guy say good-bye to a shoe?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yes, twice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But does he literally think he's a wizard though?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Laopooh posted:

Burns' Heir where Burns laughs at itchy and scratchy for far too long?

Like a hog!

Or the one where Burns mashes up the irishman on his carnival electric scooter ride thing and laughs about the memory for a long time?

e: no you mean the guy pointing and laughing at the camera through the tv. The gif was posted recently in this thread I think.

I don't think it's Mr. Burns, it could be the gif posted on this page but I don't know what episode where the original clip that gif is from.

Also post that pic of your weight setup in your tiny Yokohama apartment, I'll never forget that for some reason. Did you ever move back to Japan?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

But does he literally think he's a wizard though?

Now I’m convinced that dreamposters literally think all their dreams are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is it maybe Troy McClure himself in "Fish Called Selma," where we open the scene with him laughing hysterically ostensibly at something Selma said over dinner, then says "I can't remember a time I've heard a funnier anecdote! Now you tell one."