Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

hobocrunch posted:

I am fairly certain that there is "basic" versions of things, but my guess is that this is highlighting what wasn't. We've seen basic wolves in one of the gameplay streams in the starting zones right? Think a lot of that was from Faerthale. Not an awful update on it's own I think but in context it is. Stuff like this I'd normally find very interesting, it's just that considering the rest of the game, and the point in time- It's hard to get motivated.

My understanding is the basic stuff is going away and we're going full alien planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sachant posted:

My understanding is the basic stuff is going away and we're going full alien planet.

oh god this is luclin all over again

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

cmdrk posted:

oh god this is luclin all over again

Space cats! From the MOON!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The fart bat with 12 nipples was a..... bold choice to start with

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

Fair enough. I personally liked the like "its a bear but not" style (though I can understand that D&D aesthetic of exploring through areas and meeting wildlife from Earth feeling). I know there's a lot of hate for the game right now but actually I think the overall aesthetic is fine by me (at least it's newish aesthetic).

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

quote:

Sunday, January 10 @ 9am PST join us at twitch.tv/cohhcarnage for a full gameplay stream with Cohh Carnage. See an all-new introductory story designed to demonstrate Pantheon's major features in a fully playable experience. You won't want to miss this never-before-seen content.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Something about the T posing models on the promotional materials that scream nothing but good things.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

onesixtwo posted:

Something about the T posing models on the promotional materials that scream nothing but good things.

I know they're still quite literally t posting models, so you're not wrong but they're meant to be armor stands.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ohh, well okay that makes more sense. Totally looked like a bad model render on my phone but that’s definitely not a head sticking out if it on further looks.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

onesixtwo posted:

Ohh, well okay that makes more sense. Totally looked like a bad model render on my phone but that’s definitely not a head sticking out if it on further looks.

For whatever it’s worth that’s what I thought it was, too

Themoor
May 15, 2020
I'll watch the stream but really starting to lose hope.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Its just now that you are starting to lose hope?

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Themoor posted:

I'll watch the stream but really starting to lose hope.

I am actually optimistic that the moves they've made since Brad's death have been actually quite good for the games development. I am genuinely surprised that they were even trying to build an MMO with "hard code". Whilst the game looks a little boring (based on PantheonPlus' gameplay videos), I do think that overall the game looks solid in that it is an MMO and it does seem to be working at a basic level. For the most part I think they just need to knuckle down and poo poo content out. For me this stream is going to be a pretty good line in the sand if they have done what I expected a company to have been able to do in the 3-6 months since the zone reworks started.

If you ask me if old Pantheon would have failed I would have said undoubtedly so, but I think this new look / version of the game is much better aesthetically, and should last the test of time. In that sense, I'm glad it got a graphical overhaul.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 7, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think VR wasted too much time and money building the game the wrong way. It's good that they admitted their mistakes and are trying to correct it, but it's hard to imagine that they have the resources left to actually finish a game.

I believe they're running low on funds and time and this Cohh stream is part of their last ditch effort to secure some non-crowd sourced funding. They want to show off all their systems working in tandem as a proof of concept. If we don't hear news of some investors or some kind of distribution deal within a few months, I think we'll get an announcement that the development is shutting down.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Or people start getting laid off or leave the team its over.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think it's too late. It's the right decision but someone should've had the guts to confront Brad about it, not wait until after his death.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think it's too late. It's the right decision but someone should've had the guts to confront Brad about it, not wait until after his death.

It's worth mentioning though that Pantheon scored way higher than I was expecting in the recent polls over at MassivelyOP.
If there is a push to acquire funding, they might be showing off their absolute best gameplay this stream, which would tie in to the narrative set in Nov > Dec by the developers that they would be looking for funding at the end of January.

Again most of this rides on the success of this coming stream.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

I think VR wasted too much time and money building the game the wrong way. It's good that they admitted their mistakes and are trying to correct it, but it's hard to imagine that they have the resources left to actually finish a game.

I believe they're running low on funds and time and this Cohh stream is part of their last ditch effort to secure some non-crowd sourced funding. They want to show off all their systems working in tandem as a proof of concept. If we don't hear news of some investors or some kind of distribution deal within a few months, I think we'll get an announcement that the development is shutting down.

I imagine if no substantial funding comes from this stream, then the game will be canceled.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

hobocrunch posted:

It's worth mentioning though that Pantheon scored way higher than I was expecting in the recent polls over at MassivelyOP.
If there is a push to acquire funding, they might be showing off their absolute best gameplay this stream, which would tie in to the narrative set in Nov > Dec by the developers that they would be looking for funding at the end of January.

Again most of this rides on the success of this coming stream.

Wow, that's a big list of upcoming MMO games - maybe a little too big.

Also, Star Citizen is third. Heh.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
check massively's old Most Anticipated awards for a fun time

2019: staff winner Torchlight Frontiers, poll winner Pantheon
2018: staff winner Torchlight Frontiers, poll winner Pantheon (yes this happened twice)
2017: staff winner Crowfall, poll winner Shroud of the Avatar
2016: staff winner Star Citizen, poll winner Camelot Unchained
2015: staff winner Star Citizen, poll winner Star Citizen

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol even if this poo poo wasn't DOA this would make year 7 they've been working on this poo poo with another four to eight years before we even see it "release"

just let it die. stop CPR. let it have some dignity in its final moments

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Licarn posted:

check massively's old Most Anticipated awards for a fun time

2019: staff winner Torchlight Frontiers, poll winner Pantheon
2018: staff winner Torchlight Frontiers, poll winner Pantheon (yes this happened twice)
2017: staff winner Crowfall, poll winner Shroud of the Avatar
2016: staff winner Star Citizen, poll winner Camelot Unchained
2015: staff winner Star Citizen, poll winner Star Citizen

Whoa, almost as if those game communities are brigading the polls for visibility!

New World appears to be the new hotness with the site's staff for this year's awards, which no doubt means it's going to flame out spectacularly.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ugh I gave money to Camelot unchained. Forever my Kickstarter shame.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

I kickstarted Crowfall so I’m right there with you.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
I tried crowfall beta worst game ever if you can even call it a game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

onesixtwo posted:

wait what happened with that
like the only thing that remotely interested me was some of the weird rear end playable races

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

frajaq posted:

like the only thing that remotely interested me was some of the weird rear end playable races

Complete vaporware:

https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/01/camelot-unchained-promises-that-a-game-is-starting-to-emerge/

8 years of development: "A game is starting to emerge"

That was in September 2020 mind.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

frajaq posted:

They hit pause on development of the MMO to make a MOBA.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Watching the Cohh stream. One of the VR guys just called this the "evaluator's demo" and said it was designed with accelerated gameplay so that they can showcase everything quickly, with a goal to secure funding.

So yeah, this thing stands on a knife's edge.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here's the stream.

https://twitch.tv/videos/868586664

hour 1 is Cohh hyper analyzing every little thing in the starter area

hour 2 is a dungeon crawl that ends in a boss fight

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
While I am a sucker for getting excited for a new MMO, only to be let down when I play it, it is hard to feel any excitement for this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DaitoX posted:

While I am a sucker for getting excited for a new MMO, only to be let down when I play it, it is hard to feel any excitement for this.

listen

they've only had like 7 years to work on it

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Ehud posted:

Here's the stream.

https://twitch.tv/videos/868586664

hour 1 is Cohh hyper analyzing every little thing in the starter area

hour 2 is a dungeon crawl that ends in a boss fight

Not even Cohh’s painfully forced sponsored enthusiasm makes this look engaging.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

Not even Cohh’s painfully forced sponsored enthusiasm makes this look engaging.

The biggest things that I think are ruining the engagement are no npc / player voice sounds, and enemies despite taking a while to kill, seem far and away easier to kill than say the Razormane Quillboars in Durotar- It's hard to be engaged in combat when all you're doing is a simple 3 button rotation and the enemies aren't even casting other spells like dropping totems that you need to deal with.

I got hard Morrowind vibes from the entire thing though. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It just looks... soulless? It doesn't have the charm of classic EQ, and it doesn't have the polish of a more modern game. It's somewhere in the valley of bleh.

It definitely looks and feels an older Elder Scrolls game, but not in a good way. I've never been a fan of those games to begin with.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

It just looks... soulless? It doesn't have the charm of classic EQ, and it doesn't have the polish of a more modern game. It's somewhere in the valley of bleh.

It definitely looks and feels an older Elder Scrolls game, but not in a good way. I've never been a fan of those games to begin with.

I dunno about Soulless, it does look lacking in areas though. Square rooms and hallways :stoked: I think Ashes of Creation looks Soulless. I personally wasn't turned off by any of it in any major way though. Just feels incredibly basic, but - I've never played Everquest and isn't that what yall wanted anyhow?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am trying to be open minded here because it's pre-alpha.... 7 years later. But that is its problem, it's pre-alpha 7 years later. And to top it off the lead designer overdosed and died in a puddle of their own vomit, and their only gameplay designs were ideas written down on toiletpaper most likely. Leaving the remaining team completely aimless.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Really is starting to look like Elder Scrolls Online and thats not a good thing at least for me guess ill keep on playing some p99 till something comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's Elder Scrolls Online, but with aggressively old school design without any purpose. No world map, no mini-map, no markers to help move a player along (imagine WoW but having to manually click every NPC to find out if they have a quest or not), everything is forced grouping (game will be balanced so that no class is able to solo any content), 9 bag slots total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
is the video.. gone? Twitch link doesn't seem to work anymore.