Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Cojawfee posted:

So you've done stuff with images, are you able to see that it's bad to base a car autopilot entirely on image recognition? Because telsa only uses cameras and routinely thinks that an overpass 200 feet away is a truck and it needs to stop, and it also will think that the ground under a semi trailer is a driveable surface. Or the times it gets dazzled by the sun and slams into a truck. Or doesn't realize that cones are physical objects that shouldn't be hit. These problems are solveable with other tech like radar and lidar, but Elon is disrupting tech and he only wants to use cameras.

Yeah, the problem is that all the failures that actually come to light are super-basic poo poo that they should have solved before ever putting a car out onto the road. If they can't get stuff like "disengage if the driver isn't paying attention" or "see a bright red fire-truck straight in front of the car", then what confidence are we supposed to have that they'll actually be able to handle rare cases that their data set may not have come across yet? Like, I dunno, figuring out that every other car on the road has stopped and that maybe you should at least slow down even if you can't see or hear the ambulance siren?

Couple that with the fact that I don't for a minute believe their self-reported safety statistics, and I do not in the slightest agree that Tesla has demonstrated that they're safer than human drivers in general. (Plus, IIRC, even if you take it at face value they're worst-in-class for their price point: high-cost vehicles tend to have fewer crashes)

Karia fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jTriOwS.gifv

Beep beep I’m a Jeep

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The idea of designing an auto-pilot for which the driver's task is to monitor it continuously at all times is in itself flawed design because the intent is that you remain as attentive as if you had no auto-pilot, but lose all forms of engagements in keeping the system in check and eventually run out of practice to actually supplement the auto-pilot when it encounters conditions too difficult to handle.

The design is bad in very predictable and fundamental ways.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Whoa look out we have an actual no poo poo mech E undergrad here, descended from on high to explain tesla autopilot to us.

rotinaj posted:

All of you need to shut your uneducated gobs and listen to me, because I...

Am an undergrad engineering student.

:laffo:
There's plenty of reasons to dunk on the guy, as demonstrated in the past page, besides the stilted way he described he's a MS computer toucher with a mechanical BS.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I've mentioned it before, but went through a weird time when I was about 30 where I did this twice in the span of 6 months (lotta stress, lotta drugs). Never before, never after...the first time it happened I went into the store, explained what happened, they didn't know what to do and just said take off no worries. Then it happened again and I just pulled the nozzle out and left, didn't even tell em. In both cases I didn't make it out of the gas station before noticing, because there was a odd resistance to me rolling away from the pump and then a loud rear end bang as the tube whipped the roof of my car.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've mentioned it before, but went through a weird time when I was about 30 where I did this twice in the span of 6 months (lotta stress, lotta drugs). Never before, never after...the first time it happened I went into the store, explained what happened, they didn't know what to do and just said take off no worries. Then it happened again and I just pulled the nozzle out and left, didn't even tell em. In both cases I didn't make it out of the gas station before noticing, because there was a odd resistance to me rolling away from the pump and then a loud rear end bang as the tube whipped the roof of my car.

I guess dude in picture was probably just doing more drugs on less sleep than you?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I mean, this is pretty impressive.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I believe this is standard procedure for changing the oil on those.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Are they all copycats of that one guy in Florida or was it a thing even before him?

e: Alan Abrahamson, himself copying a plot from CSI: Las Vegas.

And the writers of that probably got it from Conan Doyle's "The Problem of Thor Bridge".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dysgenesis posted:

I mean, this is pretty impressive.

Nah, this one doesn't tip over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQ7kjr8C9w

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

General Bullshit › OSHA IV: The design is bad in very predictable and fundamental ways.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/connorhelm/status/1334268904886194182?s=20

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

JENGA!!!!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It seems like they should tie those down somehow. Even if they're heavy there can still be weird shear poo poo going on, especially if the containers are bottom-heavy.

:yikes:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like they should tie those down somehow. Even if they're heavy there can still be weird shear poo poo going on, especially if the containers are bottom-heavy.

It would have been fine if it wasn't for the wind and the waves. Really no way to see this coming.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Tesla only recently developed object permanence LMAO.

Yeah of all the companies pursuing automated driving, I trust Tesla’s the very, very least.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They are tied down. Sort of. Each of the container's corners has holes for twist locks and turn buckles. Basically interlocking them. You can see some of the knocked over stacks still connected.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guyver posted:

They are tied down. Sort of. Each of the container's corners has holes for twist locks and turn buckles. Basically interlocking them. You can see some of the knocked over stacks still connected.

Right, but I was thinking like straps over the whole pile anchoring it to something load-bearing.

I dunno, I know gently caress-all about boats.

:shrug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Atticus_1354 posted:

It would have been fine if it wasn't for the wind and the waves. Really no way to see this coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0K6ojmGZA

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

these were packed with PS5's

:rip:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Schadenboner posted:

Right, but I was thinking like straps over the whole pile anchoring it to something load-bearing.

I dunno, I know gently caress-all about boats.

:shrug:

At some point, you are looking at the cargo breaking loose or the entire ship capsizing. At least the crew probably didn't die..?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

a couple bungie cords at least.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

these were packed with PS5's

:rip:

That's where all the GTX 3060/3070/3080's went! I hear Atlantis is all Cryptominers now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's where all the GTX 3060/3070/3080's went! I hear Atlantis is all Cryptominers now.

no wonder our oceans are heating up

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CarForumPoster posted:

I really don’t get the Tesla fear mongering either. I don’t have opinions on “autonomous cars” as a whole because Tesla is the only one with a large amount of miles driven semiautonomously. If the measurement of that safety is miles between incidents autopilot seems to be much safer than the us average, at least according to the numbers reported by Tesla. 4.5M miles between crashes with autopilot engaged compared to a US average of 0.5M.

There’s certainly flaws with this logic, maybe most important is that autopilot can only be engaged in lower risk scenarios, but that seems to be changing very soon. Additionally, the types of people who buy Tesla’s may be safer drivers than those who drive Maximas and Malibus, which have the highest MY2017 death rates. So at a minimum the fear mongering seems unsupported, but the consequences of acting on that fear mongering may mean 5-10x more accidents.

There’s a ton of fear mongering around “plowing into pedestrians/children” every thread it’s mentioned in but here’s the euroncap rating on their cheapest car: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model-3/37573

It scores comparably in pedestrian safety to bmw sedans and the test report indicates the cyclist avoidance got full points and the pedestrian avoidance performed well. There’s billions of miles driven...so I just don’t get the cultish hate in the same way I don’t get supporting Trump or not wearing a mask in public in the US.

You quite literally cannot trust any of Tesla’s safety statistics: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02/in-2017-the-feds-said-tesla-autopilot-cut-crashes-40-that-was-bogus/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm not a first-year engineering student so I have no idea, but are the stresses all transmitted to the bottom container that has to bear the brunt, or does locking them together share it out?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I'm not a first-year engineering student so I have no idea, but are the stresses all transmitted to the bottom container that has to bear the brunt, or does locking them together share it out?

We're going to need at least a second year student to run those numbers

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

We're going to need at least a second year student to run those numbers

I got two first-year students, does that work?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

This is at least a 15 year-student problem.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1335306529281630208?s=20

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ll happily agree that Tesla’s approach is comically dangerous, but I hope we can also appreciate the irony of us doing so in a thread that’s content is 50% human beings being idiots in vehicles which gets derailed for dozens of posts in the fairy rare instance one of those vehicles is a Tesla.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HardDiskD posted:

No, they only add up to sqrt(2)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A Tesla truck probably wouldn't get eaten by the 11 ft 8" bridge. It still might, but you could probably blame human error for that (you have to somehow inform the AI how tall your cargo is, and how high the bridges along your route are).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’ll happily agree that Tesla’s approach is comically dangerous, but I hope we can also appreciate the irony of us doing so in a thread that’s content is 50% human beings being idiots in vehicles which gets derailed for dozens of posts in the fairy rare instance one of those vehicles is a Tesla.

it's almost like...there's not very many of them on the road...and also are the only ones having self driving accidents...and therefore get a lot of attention when it happens.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AnTimNguyen/status/1335312845567741953

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clean, made bed, cat, I don't see the issue

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Columbia, South Carolina represent :woop:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Azhais posted:

Clean, made bed, cat, I don't see the issue

poo poo, there's even art on the walls and the bench seems like a not-bad 'Set it up, use it, then store it in the garage' sort of setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/vJiTspU.mp4