Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah median's rate of progression is pretty impressive at how smooth it is overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Welp, got hooked onto PD2.

Wonder if we could make a discord for this?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah its really a lot better with a group, especially trying to do maps. would be nice for trading too because the official discord is...pretty bad for that.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I made a discord awhile ago for diablo goons.

https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Kazvall posted:

I made a discord awhile ago for diablo goons.

https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

hopped on!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Eastern Sun was the best D2 mod. Fight me.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Seamonster posted:

This is an unassailable position.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
ES was fun but I am really liking project d2's approach of diablo 2 but better. It feels like 1.10 did back in the day with how much it has overhauled and improved, making more builds viable and adding sweet new features. the whole private battle.net with very vigilant mods who ban for botting and duping is pretty cool too

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah I’m a huge fan of this. I wish I had a mapping group though because my holy bolt paladin is great fun until I hit those magic immune revenants.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
there's enough people on the discord that we could probably get a map group together. I have an 88 sorc and am working on getting a barb going

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Truth has been spoken. So mote it be. Too bad Garfu had kids. We are due for another round of goontopia. J/K Garfu! Kids are great.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think at this point, if you're looking for some crazy updated (non-classic) experience, then Median XL is simply the best. It is definitely too bad ES is no longer updated. But, if anything I am super spoiled by the 1024x768 resolution of Median(along with some nicer glide settings) that I cannot go back to 800x600.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I've got a lvl 84 necro, though I might wanna get some respec tokens after I get some decent gear. Could do some maps though, as I can get a decent amount of magic find.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Kazvall posted:

I think at this point, if you're looking for some crazy updated (non-classic) experience, then Median XL is simply the best. It is definitely too bad ES is no longer updated. But, if anything I am super spoiled by the 1024x768 resolution of Median(along with some nicer glide settings) that I cannot go back to 800x600.

If you use D2SE launcher you can play ES or other mods at 800x600 doubled to 1600x1200. Its a straight pixel doubling so it doesn't look that pretty but it much friendlier on modern displays.

George
Nov 27, 2004

PD2 definitely has widescreen and upscale to higher res. I think it either uses an interpolation engine or did to create upressed assets though because it’s a bit muddy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well, they've mastered the engine enough for it to be true 1024x768. So, you've got like 20% more screen visible, not the same 800x600 that is blown up. This is also the best compromise in terms of monster view distance and gameplay integrity, especially for multiplayer.

Afaik and please correct me if I am wrong, but median is the only mod that can create and utilize new maps and content and zones without having to move around or recycle already existing zones. This was an engine limit every d2 mod had to work around.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Haven't really played D2 in forever. Decided to check out PD2 but the blur when I move is making the game unplayable, its going to give me a headache. I feel like I've tried an endless combination of setting the max fps to multiples of 25, fullscreen, windowed, fullscreen windowed, everything I can think of.

Is there some magical setting I can enable or something that will resolve this?

I've got 2x gsync enabled 165hz 1440p monitors. I have gsync on for fullscreen and was playing the game w/ the monitor's refresh rate display showing 25 in fullscreen but it was still tearing all over the place.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
See if changing to/from Direct3D, DirectDraw or GLide(likely enabled using a wrapper) has any effect at all. I’m not sure how PD2 handles it, I’m a vanilla guy, but it’s worth a shot.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The March Hare posted:

Haven't really played D2 in forever. Decided to check out PD2 but the blur when I move is making the game unplayable, its going to give me a headache. I feel like I've tried an endless combination of setting the max fps to multiples of 25, fullscreen, windowed, fullscreen windowed, everything I can think of.

I've got 2x gsync enabled 165hz 1440p monitors. I have gsync on for fullscreen and was playing the game w/ the monitor's refresh rate display showing 25 in fullscreen but it was still tearing all over the place.

make a shortcut to diablo.exe, add settings -w and -nofixaspect and run any one of the 100 programs that turn anything into borderless fullscreen

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The March Hare posted:

Nothing helps with it. It's just always that way. It's by far one of the worst parts about playing diablo2, but if you keep playing you'll stop noticing it.

I find looking at the cursor, looking at the overlay map, or not looking at the center of the screen much can help a whole lot.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 7, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
d2 is hard capped to like 30fps because all the animations are 30fps sprites. Supposedly this was one of the holdups for a d2 remaster because apparently the ability to extract sprites from the assets and to either procedurally or manually create interstitial frames is beyond the ability of small indie games companies.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Certain monitors have a lower bound to what their variable refresh rate can do, for a lot of AMD FreeSync implementations i's 30 or 35 FPS at the low bound before you just start getting tearing anyway, not sure about gsync but it may just be a mismatch of what new tech is expecting.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

d2 is hard capped to like 30fps because all the animations are 30fps sprites. Supposedly this was one of the holdups for a d2 remaster because apparently the ability to extract sprites from the assets and to either procedurally or manually create interstitial frames is beyond the ability of small indie games companies.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the original assets for Diablo 2 may well no longer exist in this case, which probably also affects things pretty seriously.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Olpainless posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the original assets for Diablo 2 may well no longer exist in this case, which probably also affects things pretty seriously.

It would be impossible for such a small indie company with their microscopic income to recreate 16 pixel sprites in the way that professional artists have been doing for a decade. Hell, can you image a free mod doing it?? Impossible and unprecedented.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It would be impossible for such a small indie company with their microscopic income to recreate 16 pixel sprites in the way that professional artists have been doing for a decade. Hell, can you image a free mod doing it?? Impossible and unprecedented.

Hahahahaha, it's hugely complicated, it'd need an art team rebuilding.

The character compositor system alone is made up of thousands and thousands of sprites, it is unreal the work it'd take to redo those without the original source 3d assets.

(To iterate - a character is composed of 6x3 components for Torso, Legs, Right Arm, Left Arm, Right Shoulder, Left Shoulder, Helm. Weapons are likewise a whole lot of different components and I think some characters have extra specific animations as well due to the attack stances. Everything needs to be rendered in 16 different directions for each frame.)

All the art was generated from 3d artwork, but if that doesn't exist, it'd rebuilding. Art is ALWAYS a huge hurdle.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 9, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Here's my take: gently caress a remaster!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Yeah, just make Diablo 3 already!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Heh, I had totally forgotten diablo 4 is even a thing. Pleeeeaaasssseee dont be bad.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kazvall posted:

Heh, I had totally forgotten diablo 4 is even a thing. Pleeeeaaasssseee dont be bad.
It's too late. They have some really bad ideas that they plan on doing according to all of the information they've laid out so far.

I also hope it's good. D3 eventually became good. In its own way. Much like d2 & d1 are very different games and each is good in its own way. I hope D4 achieves that as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm just a crazy person who actually liked the plot of D1/2, such as it was.

...They killed Deckard Cain with butterflies.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khorne posted:

It's too late. They have some really bad ideas that they plan on doing according to all of the information they've laid out so far.

I also hope it's good. D3 eventually became good. In its own way. Much like d2 & d1 are very different games and each is good in its own way. I hope D4 achieves that as well.

I know I am believing in the hype but at least it has a skill tree, unlike Diablo 3 which incorporated way more WoW than Diablo.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It probably will have a terrible story. I always wanted a Diablo prequel where you could play as key figures in the Sin Wars. Like, those would be the classes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I'm just a crazy person who actually liked the plot of D1/2, such as it was.

...They killed Deckard Cain with butterflies.
They solved this by making it so you never play the story except maybe once.

From a game design perspective, I genuinely admire the people who fixed d3 because they just left all the bad stuff there, didn't even try to fix it, and still managed to make the game amazing.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

except the bad stuff includes the itemization and meaningful choices in character builds... I've gone back to d3 since they supposedly fixed it, and it's still so unexciting and same-y i can't get through the campaign. why do i care about getting 50 more dex on my gloves or whatever? what am i even building towards?

George
Nov 27, 2004

Itemization is still the worst part of D3 and the thing they’re refusing to fix for D4. No thank you.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Diablo 3 PC was amazing at launch because the RMAH bought me so much drugs and helped make rent between financial aid checks back in college. Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil on the Playstation was an actual amazing game that I didn’t need to be bribed with drugs to have fun with, playing co-op with my wife or brother.

I’m not following D4’s development at all and I’m setting up really low expectations, but you bet your rear end I’m buying it on launch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

George posted:

Itemization is still the worst part of D3 and the thing they’re refusing to fix for D4. No thank you.

It's still in an early state and they're taking feedback from the community via the quarterly updates pretty well all things considered. While I agree that the early itemization looked questionable at best, I think blizzcon had placeholder poo poo in there more or less. I'm hoping they can turn it around but it's not the same company as it used to be so TBD. Really hoping the demonic and angelic power bullshit is either scrapped or somehow made interesting and good. I probably have more hours into d2 and d3 than any other series by a wide margin so I'm hopeful it'll be decent.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

George posted:

D3's itemization isn't bad these days. Every ARPG simplifies at the endgame at the highest level. There were builds that had very interesting itemization (tal manald archon always comes to mind), but they seem to have moved toward builds with very straightforward stat priority instead.

In S8~S12 the "early season" phase lasted longer and they hadn't power creeped the sets as hard so you had to make interesting choices for the first week or three. In the current season everything is accelerated to be done in a day or weekend at most outside of getting perfect rolls. During that initial gearing phase there are interesting choices with respect to CDR, CC, CHD, ASPD, AD, main stat, various legendary bonuses, etc as well with how to use the limited resources you have at the time.

Not a huge fan of d3's stat and ilvl systems. They seem designed to simplify the designer's job rather than to provide a good gameplay experience. Legendary item bonuses and set bonuses are cool. I'd love to see some company do something radically different.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 10, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Legendaries/Uniques modifying certain skills in big ways was really cool and I hope that stays. It can sometimes be a pain when you need a specific weapon or whatever but there are ways to target loot so it ends up not being the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Khorne posted:

Not a huge fan of d3's stat and ilvl systems. They seem designed to simplify the designer's job rather than to provide a good gameplay experience. Legendary item bonuses and set bonuses are cool. I'd love to see some company do something radically different.

Set items being so ridiculous in D3 was actually a negative for me. When a set adds 20.000% increased damage to an ability, my hands are sort of tied this season, you know? I did like the gameplay of D3 to a point, but trying to enjoy it in a setting that sports butterfly lady and suddenly sexy retcon Adria was just too much. And after Actiblizzard tipped their hand with the whole Hong Kong tragedy? I'm just done with it all and haven't installed battle.net since.