Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

greazeball posted:

socket wrench? or is :thejoke:

haha yeah that's it! i was definitely making a joke and not high as hell on the devil's lettuce. it actually would've been a pretty good one if i said socket instead of hole lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be fair, the average person's experience with Philips head screws is in DIY furniture kits, light fixtures and the like and the cheap screws packaged with them are chowdered the first time one tries to disassemble and rebuild them. Sure, busting through the plastic or particle board would be worse, but what people see is crap screws.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

owlhawk911 posted:

idk what you call it actually, but a setup where the driver goes around the whole screw/bolt head instead of into a hole in it. why can't i think of the name. poo poo

External drive

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The nice thing about flathead is any screw can be a flathead if you have a hacksaw. It's saved me in a number of stripped screw situations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

alnilam posted:

The nice thing about flathead is any screw can be a flathead if you have a hacksaw. It's saved me in a number of stripped screw situations.

Or a dremel!

There was a period where through a combination of lovely Chinesium screws and over-tightening, every Dell laptop I worked on seemed to have one screw that wouldn't loosen and ended up stripped and I'd have to dremel a slot into it.

Philips suck. If it's a low torque situation give me a flat head, if it's high torque like hardiebacker or something then give me a torx or square bit head.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Electrical terminal screws have ~universal~ heads that can be turned with either a bladed or Philips screwdriver.

Those drivers both have their own problems, through. Philips wants to strip and bladed wants to slip out.

So people who regularly work with the things have special screwdrivers that engage with the slot to get maximum torque and with the cross part to keep the bit centred.

Ironic.

There’s a similar thing with stage lighting, where wing nuts are used because they can be turned by hand, but everyone agrees that’s not good enough and wing nut wrenches on them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 5, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

butt dickus posted:

do not terminate cables yourself. they will be slower or just fail outright. i worked at a telecommunications interconnect and the failure rate for handmade cables, even ones made by skilled techs is high enough that it was our policy only to use premade cables with strain relief jackets. do you even have the tool to crimp them? just wrap them up or buy a cable that is the correct length.

owlhawk911 posted:

counterpoint, i've never bought a premade cable or had one i made fail. and idk how they could be slower instead of just not working at all

My best guess for the "slower" thing is that the old 100BaseT standard only uses four of the eight wires (the orange and green pairs). If one of the remaining four isn't connected right, the cable will work when you plug it into the network, but you'll never get gigabit speed through it since it can't go any higher than 100 megabit. So whenever I make a patch cable, I just give it a quick check with an eight-dollar cable tester. Cheap and cheerful, and works perfectly.

The part that I can't figure out is how the hell someone would even attempt to make an ethernet cable without a crimping tool. Squish it with regular pliers and hope for the best?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

All y'all might know all the technical advantages of various heads for screwin', but the real truth of the matter is that flatheads just look prettier. On several occasions I have bought flatheads for that reason alone.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why are the brand names Chinese companies choose for themselves on Amazon so crazy? What makes them think I would want to buy a Christmas tree topper from a company called SVNVIOZ?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It's the cheapest one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are the brand names Chinese companies choose for themselves on Amazon so crazy? What makes them think I would want to buy a Christmas tree topper from a company called SVNVIOZ?

Here’s an article about the phenomenon.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've heard o'plenty about the 'Aussie' accent (assuming there aren't dialects oh who am I kidding there probably are), but I have no clue what a Kiwi/Zealander accent sounds like. Or what their jargon resembles.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The one Zealander I've spoken to sounded vaguely British. Not at all like the stereotypical Aussie accent.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grouchio posted:

I've heard o'plenty about the 'Aussie' accent (assuming there aren't dialects oh who am I kidding there probably are), but I have no clue what a Kiwi/Zealander accent sounds like. Or what their jargon resembles.

Here is a good example of the NZ accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlu0foF3WBk

e: It should be noted that P is meth.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip-

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grouchio posted:

Korg from the Avengers movies sounds like a Kiwi because he's voiced by one of New Zealand's finest sons, Taika Waititi.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjIYJQ-NH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPs2SzShNc

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Other people have covered the Aussie/Kiwi difference but FYI there's generally thought to be three main accents in Australia, broad/general/cultivated, which are more class-based than location-based. There are definitely small regional differences as well but mostly it's just rural/bogan vs most people vs rich fuckers.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Was there a catalyst behind the "Latin explosion" of pop music in America in the late 90s?

Wikipedia makes it seem like it was just Latin culture bleeding into America (plus cultural momentum). I just remember that one day we all all of a sudden cared about Jennifer Lopez's butt and Santana's Smooth f. Rob Thomas.

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 6, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It was a different time and we were all just livin' la vida loca mang

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Organza Quiz posted:

Other people have covered the Aussie/Kiwi difference but FYI there's generally thought to be three main accents in Australia, broad/general/cultivated, which are more class-based than location-based. There are definitely small regional differences as well but mostly it's just rural/bogan vs most people vs rich fuckers.

I'd argue that there is a first nations accent in there too. While certainly not universal by any stretch of the imagination it is very much a recognisable dialect.

Starting from about 2:45 in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI8f2xpFOdY&t=165s

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
At my job we have a lot of external people who reach out to us with inquiries or requests and at the moment, these people will send an email to the group email with their inquiry. I want to set up a more efficient system where their inquiries are shown in one area where the team can view what's come in and assign themselves or others the relevant tasks to handle.

I would say we get about on average 1 to 5 requests a day so it's not that much, but this number could increase a lot more as the business grows. The information that we would like to be able to gather from these external people are obviously their name, contact information, a description of their inquiry, and an attachment of a file if needed. I was originally thinking of setting up a Google Forms but wanted to ask here if anyone else has any other recommendations for an easy to set up ticket tool. I know some of the other teams within the company use Asana or JIRA but I'm pretty sure that's meant for internal employees.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Google forms is what I would have suggested reading your use case anyway. It sounds like a perfect case for it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Busy Bee posted:

I was originally thinking of setting up a Google Forms but wanted to ask here if anyone else has any other recommendations for an easy to set up ticket tool.
Depending on your needs, maybe FreshDesk would be a good fit?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

At my job we have a lot of external people who reach out to us with inquiries or requests and at the moment, these people will send an email to the group email with their inquiry. I want to set up a more efficient system where their inquiries are shown in one area where the team can view what's come in and assign themselves or others the relevant tasks to handle.

I would say we get about on average 1 to 5 requests a day so it's not that much, but this number could increase a lot more as the business grows. The information that we would like to be able to gather from these external people are obviously their name, contact information, a description of their inquiry, and an attachment of a file if needed. I was originally thinking of setting up a Google Forms but wanted to ask here if anyone else has any other recommendations for an easy to set up ticket tool. I know some of the other teams within the company use Asana or JIRA but I'm pretty sure that's meant for internal employees.

It sounds like you are looking for a customer-facing ticketing system. Things like ZenDesk are popular at the moment (I don't really like zendesk, but it works).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How many birds have been killed by missiles?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

How many birds have been killed by missiles?

*extremely D&D player voice* :actually: any ranged weapon's projectile is technically a "missile"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Our dryer lint trap has a salad small tear in it, about a centimeter long or so, right at the top where it meets the handle.

Is that going to cause problems or is it okay?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 6, 2020

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
But why is the salad crying?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JesustheDarkLord posted:

But why is the salad crying?

Thwarted by gesture typing :negative:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I'm watching a wind waker speed run and the game is in japanese.

Why does some text have annotations above the main characters? Is it a phonetic thing for if somebody doesn't recognize the chinese character?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Methanar posted:

I'm watching a wind waker speed run and the game is in japanese.

Why does some text have annotations above the main characters? Is it a phonetic thing for if somebody doesn't recognize the chinese character?

Bingo. It's used in text which is aimed at (or includes) children or other learners.

Those characters above the Chinese characters are literally just the phonetics for how to pronounce it. Ordinary written Japanese is a mixture of phonetic characters (Hiragana) and Chinese characters (Kanji), and it's exactly the same phonetic character set used for those annotations. Hiragana also appears in that sentence as characters that do not have annotations.

(There's also another phonetic character set, Katakana, which is used only for writing foreign words. In this case I'm pretty sure it's all Hiragana and Kanji, with Hiragana annotations above the Kanji).

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 7, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's also used for a cool impossible-to-translate trick where you use the kanji for one word but put another word in the furigana, so you're saying one thing but really mean the other. Like if there was a way in English to write the word "dog" but with instructions to pronounce it as "friend". Can also just be really pretentious, or annoying when parents name their children a normal-looking Japanese name in kanji but you're meant to pronounce it as an English word.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

alnilam posted:

*extremely D&D player voice* :actually: any ranged weapon's projectile is technically a "missile"

Yeah, I know, but I want to know if there's like an actual kill count for birds vs missiles shot from military things like jets. I suspect there isn't, but this is the thread to ask.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, I know, but I want to know if there's like an actual kill count for birds vs missiles shot from military things like jets. I suspect there isn't, but this is the thread to ask.

I don't have an answer but I am very curious as to what train of thought led to this question.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I don't have an answer but I am very curious as to what train of thought led to this question.

Boyfriend explaining how radar locks for missiles work and how they can't capture things that are too small - or rather, they shouldn't, because you don't want your missile to go try and hit an ant. Or a bird. And I got to wondering!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I assume you mean killed by a direct impact with the missile as opposed to by the explosion?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

This question is great. I am now curious about how many millions of dollars have been spent on killing birds.

As an aside, there's a Danish expression, "at skyde gråspurve med kanoner", which literally translates as "shooting [small birds] with cannons", which describes an effective but excessive solution to a problem. In English I'd just say "overkill".

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Boyfriend explaining how radar locks for missiles work and how they can't capture things that are too small - or rather, they shouldn't, because you don't want your missile to go try and hit an ant. Or a bird. And I got to wondering!

Thank you, questions like yours are why I follow this thread :v:

BonHair posted:

This question is great. I am now curious about how many millions of dollars have been spent on killing birds.

As an aside, there's a Danish expression, "at skyde gråspurve med kanoner", which literally translates as "shooting [small birds] with cannons", which describes an effective but excessive solution to a problem. In English I'd just say "overkill".

LOL, this helps explain why I get such strange reactions when I translate "killing two birds with one stone" directly to Danish.

For others, the Danish version is a little less murderous : to hit two flies with one swat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Been trawling around the forums looking for the appropriate place to ask this...

So I've been asked by my job to put together a list of all the items we'd need to create a new video studio in our new building. It'll mostly be for demoing our products (computers and tablets) and talking about tech topics

I know I could just start googling around but it's always better to get first-hand advice IMO. If anybody here knows how to answer that'd be great, OR if you could even just point me towards the thread where this question would be most appropriate that'd also be a big help. Thanks in advance!