Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Girls I remember was big for about five minutes then people realised whatshername wasn't actually in on the joke about being a spoiled piece of poo poo

Better to watch Derry Girls. Or Gilmore Girls. Or River City Girls.

I remember she threw a fit when some NFL player (I think it was Odell Beckham when he was on the Giants) rejected her advances and she went full "woke cancel culture" on him because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forceholy posted:

I remember she threw a fit when some NFL player (I think it was Odell Beckham when he was on the Giants) rejected her advances and she went full "woke cancel culture" on him because of it.

oh man this is wild, thanks for reminding me

quote:

“I was sitting next to Odell Beckham Jr., and it was so amazing because it was like he looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards,” Dunham told comedian Amy Shumer during a ‘friend chat’ for Lenny Letter. “He was like, ‘That’s a marshmallow. That’s a child. That’s a dog.’ It wasn’t mean — he just seemed confused.

“The vibe was very much like, ‘Do I want to [expletive] it? Is it wearing a . . . yep, it’s wearing a tuxedo. I’m going to go back to my cell phone.’ It was like we were forced to be together, and he literally was scrolling Instagram rather than have to look at a woman in a bow tie. I was like, ‘This should be called the Metropolitan Museum of Getting Rejected by Athletes.’ ”

I tried to follow the link to Lenny Letter and yeah it's been totally wiped from the face of the worth lmfao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Girls was a very weird and desperate period for people seeking feminism in entertainment. At least Adam Driver got something out of it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

I am watching the lone gunmen series right now for the first time since it aired 20 years ago and it also deals extensively in conspiracies

it's pretty entertaining

There's a new comic book series called Department of Truth in which the villains are trying to alter reality to make conspiracy theories come true. It's included the Flat Earth, the Moon landing, satanic panic, and crisis actors so far. An upcoming issue will cover the phantom time hypothesis.

Action Jacktion has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Dec 10, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr Hootington posted:

Have you seen Klute? It is on my list.

Manchurian Candidate, All the President's Men, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Converstation, They Live, and Enemy of the State are all great.

Okay Klute loving ruled and I'd never heard of it before. Jane Fonda is all-around great as a call girl who gets wrapped up in what starts as a kidnapping, Donald Sutherland is an amazing weirdo as the detective investigating the case, and Roy Schieder has a great bit part as a sleazy pump. The direction, cinematography, and score are top notch at building tension (it's directed by Alan Pakula who did Parallax View) and there's some incredible Epstein brain vibes going on.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Girls I remember was big for about five minutes then people realised whatshername wasn't actually in on the joke about being a spoiled piece of poo poo

derry girls is really good

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Taintrunner posted:

I tried to follow the link to Lenny Letter and yeah it's been totally wiped from the face of the worth lmfao

Imaging despising what you covet.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Girls was a very weird and desperate period for people seeking feminism in entertainment. At least Adam Driver got something out of it.

Adam Driver carries the trilogy on his back. Yeah, Ridley, Issac and Boyega are decent actors, but he was the one making chicken salad out there.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

thank you president biden sir for opening the portal to 2014 i would die for you sir
https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1335388767473922048
https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1335390774238691330

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the new season of larva is really weird for those who dont know larva is a simple slapstick cartoon about insects who live in a sewer and get into wordless shenanigans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_sujqyYn8

the second season changed the formula slightly by moving them out of the sewer and into a house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXTiZQi0_w

the third season changed the formula slightly again by moving them out of the house and into the streets of a city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWfekV8bVXA

the fourth season moves them to a tropical island and i was expecting fairly minor tweaks like what happened with the last two seasons but uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4lKR7rg8I

all of the supporting characters are gone and there is now a speaking human in the main cast extended pop culture references and storyline episodes are now the rule rather than the exception the shows central gimmick of slapstick gags based around a single object or concept is gone and something about the animation just feels really off now theres too much open space and it never feels like the characters are trapped in corners and forced to come up with ridiculous solutions to get out of them which was like the whole appeal of the show

its not really bad but its so different it feels like tuba really wanted to make a new show entirely about the dude going crazy on an island but couldnt get any funding unless larva was involved because those were the main marketable characters they had so yeah its just weird and uhhh capitalism at work i guess because the fourth season coincided with an international netflix release and i dont think its coincidental that the show lost most of its original energy in a misguided attempt to cater to international audiences and introduce plotlines the main reason larva got popular to begin with was because nobody really makes that kind of high energy minimalist slapstick anymore

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

moreover, why would i encourage my kid to read anything that comes from an environment that manages to make social justice issues primarily about what one person lucky enough to get reasonably compensated to do socially useful artistic labor says to another peer of equal standing on twitter

i mean that could conceivably cover something real but at this point that tends to not be a subtle thing that needs much elaboration when you can just post screenshots

although id also argue that writing off anything written before (whatever date is woke) is inherently bigoted, because it reduces all previous human culture to 1950s america and comes from a material position which benefits directly from erasing literally everyone who wrote before an arbitrary date because they collectively constitute a massive amount of potential competition from the public domain (and are therefore also more accessable to the marginalized)

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 09:28 on Dec 6, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
the entire woke twitter scene is people who believe if you cancel someone you gain their clout Highlander style

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the entire woke twitter scene is people who believe if you cancel someone you gain their clout Highlander style

thats actually how it works, thanks to the gamification of discourse via likes/retweets/followers lmao

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

in principle this could lead to powerful posting, but the joke is that their collective clout is too meager to even eventually coalesce into a single fishmech level poster

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

in principle this could lead to powerful posting, but the joke is that their collective clout is too meager to even eventually coalesce into a single fishmech level poster

we have one of the highest concentrations of primordial posters here, so i'm not sure it's a fair comparison

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Hodgepodge posted:

One thing that generation of posters never understood is that clout is non-transferable between platforms

And I'm serious, a major problem with the wokescold types is not understanding that being respected for saying the correct opinions in one venue does not transfer to other places who have different assumptions and no more reason to listen to you than any other internet rando. Hence why they cannibalise each other; the only real targets they can actually claim.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
that markup of the apology is one of the most pathetic things i've ever seen posted anywhere and i've followed trudeau's posting career closely

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
hmm how can i put words in the mouth of this person who isn't even really wrong just because they caved to the pressure and agreed to apologize and also the words im putting in their mouth are designed to make them look as bad as humanly possible and also make me look really snide and clever because i intentionally used red ink

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Taintrunner posted:

I just realized lena kinda fell out of the spotlight and that's a good thing

But not before she got her crappy student film put in the criterion collection

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Pretty much every pre-2016 woke liberal darling basically just disappeared like a goddamn thanos snap

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it occurs to me that lena durham and her ilk are basically just gender flipped softboys

which is funny when you consider that theyre probably the people who coined the term softboy in the first place

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1334897755236364289?s=21
I'm getting the Girls 2012 controversy vibe from reading this.

Eileen Jones is good

Farm Frenzy posted:

thank you president biden sir for opening the portal to 2014 i would die for you sir

oh my god no shut it down SHUT IT DOWN

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Dec 6, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i recently found that eileen jones review of citizenfour that really left an impression on me when i read it years ago

https://pando.com/2014/11/02/edward-snowden-and-the-justice-league-a-review-of-citizenfour/

i appear to be basically the only other person aside from jones who really didnt like citizenfour but i could never quite express why until i read this review

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
wow, Tenet really is not very good at all. the time gimmick was pretty cool and well executed, I'll give it that. that's the only positive thing I can say about the movie

calling the characters two dimensional might be giving it too much credit, there was nothing there at all. just actors reciting exposition. did not give a single gently caress about the giraffe lady and her kid, who appears for 2 seconds in one scene I think. plot straight out of a bad james bond knockoff

there was a funny moment during the highway scene where I thought the music was really complete dogshit. but then you see the scene backwards and ooooooh, the music was playing backwards the first time around, it was dogshit on purpose I guess

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

i may never have a better reason to trust a film review

Eileen Jones is friends with the War Nerd guys. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but she approaches her reviews from the right place.

galagazombie posted:

The main character belongs to an ultra-orthodox sect that believes you shouldn't take your hat off.

yes, that is also covered in the Tablet piece

quote:

When Kuill, played by Nick Nolte, takes the Mandalorian under his wing, he is quick to inform him that he has “never met a Mandalorian,” only “read the stories” about the strange race. And yarmulke-wearing Jews who are accustomed to hearing people wonder what the deal is with their funny hat might recognize a familiar question from Mythrol—Horatio Sanz in blue make up. He pesters the Mandalorian, asking the bounty-hunter if “it’s true that you guys never take off your helmets.”

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new season of 90 day fiance just debuted and yeah it's utterly batshit wild from the get-go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66forHvBib4

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Taintrunner posted:

new season of 90 day fiance just debuted and yeah it's utterly batshit wild from the get-go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66forHvBib4

This owns. 90 day fiance is both an amazing and incredibly sad show.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like that The Long Kiss Goodnight implies the World Trade Center bombing was a CIA op and that they are planning a second one.

Serf
May 5, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

wow, Tenet really is not very good at all. the time gimmick was pretty cool and well executed, I'll give it that. that's the only positive thing I can say about the movie

calling the characters two dimensional might be giving it too much credit, there was nothing there at all. just actors reciting exposition. did not give a single gently caress about the giraffe lady and her kid, who appears for 2 seconds in one scene I think. plot straight out of a bad james bond knockoff

there was a funny moment during the highway scene where I thought the music was really complete dogshit. but then you see the scene backwards and ooooooh, the music was playing backwards the first time around, it was dogshit on purpose I guess

i just finished it and it was loving terrible. possibly one of the worst movies i've ever seen. only nolan could have made the movie because if it had come from anyone else they would have been laughed out of the room for pitching it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Xanadu sucks. Do not watch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i watched a bunch of ninety day fiance on an airplane once and there was this woman with a samoan dad who hates samoans because theyre a bunch of lazy slackers who ruined samoa then his daughter goes up and gets knocked up by a samoan guy in spite of being a mormon

really get the feeling that guy was a trump voter an observation i make not as a slur but to emphasize that minorities supporting trump isnt really as outlandish as youd think when you consider that they arent hive minds and will have varying life experiences as well as varying takes on those life experiences

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

i watched a bunch of ninety day fiance on an airplane once and there was this woman with a samoan dad who hates samoans because theyre a bunch of lazy slackers who ruined samoa then his daughter goes up and gets knocked up by a samoan guy in spite of being a mormon

really get the feeling that guy was a trump voter an observation i make not as a slur but to emphasize that minorities supporting trump isnt really as outlandish as youd think when you consider that they arent hive minds and will have varying life experiences as well as varying takes on those life experiences

oh my god I know who you're talking about and holy poo poo lmfao. it's honestly hard to hate Asuelu because he literally has the mind of a loving child. just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOgqzQ5lVw

like that's not even a language thing, he just... isn't developed, lmao. like he hasn't had those life experiences to really round out his personality. apparently since the show he's gotten his life together and found a decent job as part of a traditional samoan dance troupe, so he clearly has talents, it's more just that he just doesn't know how to like... be a grownup. and when asuelu's wife meets his family, yeah, it's actually super obvious to see where he's coming from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8pzU_G21TU

people in america (and lots of other places, but especially america) just come out unbelievably hosed up from super hosed up families and have absolutely zero safety buoy in society to find out how they're expected to act or behave or what they're supposed to do with their lives. and they're essentially left to sink or fuckin' swim, tragically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

my wife watches a lot of 90 Day Fiance and I know exactly who this is lmao

a lot of the conflict in their relationship comes from the Samoan dude's mom demanding that he send money back to the family in Samoa... money that isn't his to give since immigrants to the US under fiancee/marriage visas can't immediately work, and the money that the American wife is making already is only barely enough to get by on

really, 90 Day Fiancee is just a big object lesson in how hosed-up American immigration policy is

EDIT: lmao taintrunner :hfive:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: lmao taintrunner :hfive:

My wife and I dated for a month and a half before she proposed to me (before I even knew she was rich and I was just months out of homelessness) and holy lmao I had no idea this show was a thing, it's a loving fascinating obsession for me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Taintrunner posted:

people in america (and lots of other places, but especially america) just come out unbelievably hosed up from super hosed up families and have absolutely zero safety buoy in society to find out how they're expected to act or behave or what they're supposed to do with their lives. and they're essentially left to sink or fuckin' swim, tragically.

This is pretty much neets and incels, young men not so much raised as kept fed and vaguely presentable by disinterested parents who left them to be raised by tv and the internet

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought River City Girls was one of the best games last year

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

if we're talking 90 day fiancé, Colt is definitely a goon right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

if we're talking 90 day fiancé, Colt is definitely a goon right?

:gb2gbs:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/1335947170281885699

https://twitter.com/rjjago/status/1336025416977567745

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1334913504877404162

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Twitter is a magnificent career destruction engine.