Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

Yeah only time inside Japan counts, amigo. You will have to line up with everyone else.

no, i was able to count marriage time outside of japan for my minimum for duration of marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ok

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

sale on Banksy art posted:

You can apply for PR once you've been married three years and are also holding a 3 year+ spouse visa. You can even apply on the day you get that 3 year visa if you've already passed your third anniversary.

Nice. In 2023 when I go for renewal on the 1-year visa I will ask for 3 years and when (probably) I get it I'll ask for full non-renewal PR since we'll have been married 3 years at that point.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Hello, Japan thread. I have questions about foreign residency paperwork (past and present) in Japan, and the goon hivemind can usually answer questions about almost anything.

In spring 2007, I studied abroad in Kyoto, Japan, and I dutifully signed up for and carried my gaijin card (more formally: Alien Registration Card or 外国人登録証明書). In those days, they made you return those cards to immigration control upon leaving Japan, which I did. (I understand they stopped doing that in 2012 - is that true?)

Anyway, 13 years later, I'm expected to report the details of that card (including card #, issue date and expiration date) as part of a background check, and of course I no longer have any of those details. (If I had had the slightest idea at the time that I would ever need that info again, I would have made a photocopy of the card, but I was 21 and had no long-term perspective.) I'm posting here to ask if anyone in this thread has had to deal with this or a similar situation. I contacted the Japanese MOJ immigration office about this the first time I tried to go through the background check process (Jan/Feb 2019), and they said they couldn't send me the information because I did not have a residential address in Japan. Now I'm getting a Take 2 (to get the next higher access level), and I want to take another crack at it. If anyone has any experiences relating to this, I would love to hear about it.

Ninja edit: Also, were those cards good for 1 year in those days? I'm allowed to estimate the expiration date.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I studied abroad in 2001, 2006, and moved here in 2008. I didn't have to submit any of the previous gaijin card numbers. Did someone tell you that's a requirement, or are you just assuming it is? ARCs don't even exist anymore.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In 2015 they punched a hole in my Dirty Foreigner Card as I was leaving but let me keep it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I studied abroad in 2001, 2006, and moved here in 2008. I didn't have to submit any of the previous gaijin card numbers. Did someone tell you that's a requirement, or are you just assuming it is? ARCs don't even exist anymore.

Sounds to me like this is a background check unrelated to Japan and they blanket ask you for all your previous IDs

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Sounds to me like this is a background check unrelated to Japan and they blanket ask you for all your previous IDs

Correct - this is a US Office of Personnel Management background check that is a prerequisite for work related to a contract between (my company) and (other US federal department). You have to disclose any identity card you have ever been issued by any foreign country.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleButterfly posted:

Correct - this is a US Office of Personnel Management background check that is a prerequisite for work related to a contract between (my company) and (other US federal department). You have to disclose any identity card you have ever been issued by any foreign country.

Tell them you had it but it was long ago, it’s expired, and you don’t have copies, the main thing they’re worried about on something like that is if you’re vulnerable to coercion or subject to another country’s laws. Disclose everything you can and you’ve met the requirements. If you get interviewed they may ask you about it but just be honest and proactive and you’ll be fine.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
^That's exactly the approach I'm already taking. Thanks! (BTW, did those cards have expiration dates printed on them?)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleButterfly posted:

^That's exactly the approach I'm already taking. Thanks! (BTW, did those cards have expiration dates printed on them?)

Yes; I have only encountered one government issued ID that didn’t have an expiration date printed directly on it and it was for internal organization use.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

are there any good websites where i can order instant noodles and have them delivered to a japanese address? my wife's going over there and i'd like her to take some of the nissin リッチ line of insant noodles with her, but they're sold out on amazon and rakuten, is there anywhere else i'd be likely to find them?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If amazon and rakuten don't have it, then that product may no longer exist. I see a few sold boxes on Mercari, with clearly stated expiration dates on July and August 2020.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
You guys know any good places to go around central Japan in the winter?

Places I don't want suggested: Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hakone (and immediate surrounding areas), Gifu prefecture, Tokyo

Preferably something nature, a hot springs town, though anywhere interesting would be cool. Not interested in skiing and would prefer the area to not be too remote (as in, takes like a 3 hour bus trip to get there or something). Thanks in advance.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Minakami maybe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked Matsumoto a lot in winter. I'm sure there are hot springs somewhere around there, I didn't look. It's a reasonably big town but lots of mountains and nature all around it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You mentioned (not) Gifu so.. Tochigi? There's some nice hot spring towns over there too, like Nasu.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cubivore posted:

You guys know any good places to go around central Japan in the winter?

Places I don't want suggested: Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hakone (and immediate surrounding areas), Gifu prefecture, Tokyo

Preferably something nature, a hot springs town, though anywhere interesting would be cool. Not interested in skiing and would prefer the area to not be too remote (as in, takes like a 3 hour bus trip to get there or something). Thanks in advance.

arima onsen was nice, haven't been there in winter though, it's right near kobe

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Couple of recommendations:
Center of Wakayama (Kumano Kodo) or Shirahama
Kiso

I'd put Gifu (Okuhida) straight on the list but it is a bit remote relatively speaking. Although it is beautiful.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I already have Gifu down, it really is beautifu (and I like the remoteness tbh).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I was wandering around Tokyo in VR and when I pulled my headset off I made this audible sigh of disgust as reality set back in.

This whole COVID mess can’t end soon enough so I can sink all my free money into cheap konbini snacks again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Martytoof posted:

Man I was wandering around Tokyo in VR and when I pulled my headset off I made this audible sigh of disgust as reality set back in.

This whole COVID mess can’t end soon enough so I can sink all my free money into cheap konbini snacks again.

:same:

I want a 711 egg samich. And sushi that costs 1/2 what it does in the US and is better. And ramen that actually tastes right. And curry w/ chicken katsu that I don't make myself and is only okay. And to feel safe just walking around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I want to have a chance to see my family that's 1/3 of the world away, and to be able to go to our office without wearing a mask the entire time.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lol what is it about Japan that makes tourists so retarded

Can't imagine a Japanese person at work going 'i can't wait to go back to Australia, I really want some fish and chips!'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BB2K posted:

Can't imagine a Japanese person at work going 'i can't wait to go back to Australia, I really want some fish and chips!'

I know so many goddamn Japanese people like this

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Japanese domestic tourism is based on that entire idea lol. "Let's go to [specific region] to eat their [regional specially item]".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BB2K posted:

There’s plenty of amazing food to be had that isn’t shrink wrapped and 100yen, but I always loved starting my day by leaving the hotel and grabbing a cheap onigiri and bottle of green tea before a day of adventuring and exploring, or grabbing some lovely donut or chocolate bread on the way home for the night.

It was a part of the day that was special and remains strongly linked to a feelings of looking forward to things to discover, or a day well spent.

So ultimately, who cares? If some Japanese person has great memories of fish and chips why would you begrudge them wanting to go have fun in a way that makes them feel satisfied?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Dont know about other people, but I'm moving to Japan just so I can eat at Redrock's every day.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Unfortunately Japan still haven't figured out how to make good fish and chips, hamburgers or barbecue.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zettace posted:

Japanese domestic tourism is based on that entire idea lol. "Let's go to [specific region] to eat their [regional specially item]".

This. Precisely this.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Stringent posted:

Unfortunately Japan still haven't figured out how to make good fish and chips, hamburgers or barbecue.

I don't know how good it is yet, but next time I'm there I'm definitely trying some smoked wagyu brisket!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEViS0joTiA

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've smoked wagyu brisket at home once. It was good but I haven't had the urge to do it again.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

I've smoked wagyu brisket at home once. It was good but I haven't had the urge to do it again.

Was it was highly graded beef? I assume if we're talking A5 you'd render all the fat out before the connective tissue would break down.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't think the grading was listed, here's where I got it: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/singaki-meat/bfmgbk-brsk1kg/?s-id=ph_pc_itemname

I can't find any photos of it, but it cooked fine.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I wanna go back to Japan to sit in bars drinking whisky and smoking while annoying the bartender by becoming a local attraction to all the regulars who haven't seen a gaijin in their regular spot.

I think it was among the more funny things from my last trip. Were in a bar in Asakusa and this old guy comes in and the first thing he says is あっ、外人だ

It was fun talking with them since my work is in the tobacco supply chain and we do business in Japan and unsurprisingly everyone knows our client there.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Stringent posted:

Fish and chips aren't supposed to be good. I've had some drat good hamburgers in Tokyo. And barbecue is a word you made up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i miss ordering a tankard of wine at saizeriya

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First time I ever visited a Saizeriya I didn't realize there were little buttons on the table to call the wait staff so I was the guy just yelling SUMIMASEN at top volume across a family restaurant like the confused idiot tourist I am.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chappers posted:

I've had some drat good hamburgers in Tokyo.

Any place in particular you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i miss ordering a tankard of wine at saizeriya

The owner of a sharehouse I was in took me and some guys out to a restaurant that had big tankards of beer called Mega-beers. I miss those.