Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I remember playing the wwii cod on wii with one of these things:

and it was weirdly one of the more fun times I had with any cod game so I'm stoked for the vr upgrade. catching a grenade and throwing it back has been on my vr checklist of wants. the only thing I'm worried about is having to play tethered to my pc, my office space is currently kind of small :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Wish there were Knuckles versions of the Tower Tag blasters.. I'd make some if they existed but am not motivated enough to remix the stl's to make them work but the game looks like it would be super fun with them :v:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4378364

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1187330/Tower_Tag/

and looking for this stuff just now ran across some pretty rad examples of printed guns

:stare:

..and digging around on thingieverse ran across a printable face gasket for Reverb that's supposed to get your eyes like 15mm closer to the lenses and increase the fov quite a bit https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666466

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That CoD size is ridiculous but for you guys who are spending time moving games around or not playing with friends because of an install size 1TB SSDs are pretty cheap these days.....

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

That CoD size is ridiculous but for you guys who are spending time moving games around or not playing with friends because of an install size 1TB SSDs are pretty cheap these days.....

The fact it needs twice the space to be installed is what it kills me. I literally have no space on any of my internal hdds. I would have to install it on a external hdd I have and then move it to a ssd where I have 220gb free.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Is it just downloading one giant 120GB install.exe holy poo poo lmao

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I put a 1tb ssd in my new build I have CoD installed and I've never even played it lol

Reek fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 6, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have those of you who are shocked by a 100gb not played a AAA game in the last 5 years or something?

100 gigs in the norm for just about any major release these days. poo poo, Call of Duty is over 200gb.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Have those of you who are shocked by a 100gb not played a AAA game in the last 5 years or something?

100 gigs in the norm for just about any major release these days. poo poo, Call of Duty is over 200gb.

those games usually look good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Those games look better and have way more content

This is gonna be like a 5 hour VR experience, it has no sense being bigger than most MMOs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean yeah I suppose, Call of duty style games are traditionally a just 5 hour single player and then some multiplayer modes though. I don’t see how this is wildly different.

I think it looks pretty nice though. Defiantly not up to modern AAA standards but for a VR game it looks solid enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think it looks okay for what it is, perfectly reasonable. But also Alyx looks way better, and most flat screen AAA games look much better than Alyx.

If MOH was 70GB the graphics would be fine. Its just the graphics not being stellar makes the file size so questionable.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Thoatse posted:

..and digging around on thingiverse ran across a printable face gasket for Reverb that's supposed to get your eyes like 15mm closer to the lenses and increase the fov quite a bit https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666466

Interesting. Gonna print the wider remix version and see how it does. If printing goes smoothly, it should be done in a couple hours.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1335306529281630208

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it looks okay for what it is, perfectly reasonable. But also Alyx looks way better, and most flat screen AAA games look much better than Alyx.

If MOH was 70GB the graphics would be fine. Its just the graphics not being stellar makes the file size so questionable.

This is Respawn, half the game's file size will be in uncompressed audio.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Inacio posted:

those games usually look good

:drat:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ceive posted:

Interesting. Gonna print the wider remix version and see how it does. If printing goes smoothly, it should be done in a couple hours.

Awesome, hope it turns out well.. I bet this (or equivalent) 3/8" thick med density temper foam would be super comfortable face gasket material https://www.amazon.com/Support-Splints-Self-Adhesive-Padding-Protection/dp/B075LFHNS8?th=1&tag=racedep-20

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The file size is ludicrous for sure, but I also think judging the visual quality of any VR game based on youtube videos of gameplay is premature. We all know how much can fail to come through with flat video.

It may not look great, or, once in the headset it may actually pop and look really nice. I don't know which, but it seems weird to try and make definitive statements before seeing it in person.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

We all know how much can fail to come through with flat video.

Visual fidelity doesn't go up just because you're seeing a game rendered flat or stereoscopic. Sure, you aren't getting the feel of things being in 3D when watching a flat trailer but you're seeing the same textures, models, lighting details, etc.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

If somebody makes "old knife restoration sim," my spouse will never remove their headset.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Thoatse posted:

..and digging around on thingieverse ran across a printable face gasket for Reverb that's supposed to get your eyes like 15mm closer to the lenses and increase the fov quite a bit https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666466

This post made me remember this one:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Got my HP Reverb G2 on Friday, and found it was too narrow for my face. I tried taking the face gasket and stretching it out after heating it over the stove. Then it wouldn’t go back into the headset. Repeated efforts to bend it back just made it worse and worse and I wound up snapping it in half out of frustration. Contacted HP support and they’re not selling any replacement face gaskets. Guess I have a $600 paperweight now. Welp!

INTJ Mastermind, there may be hope for you!

Someone even made a wide face gasket:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4673045

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Thanks man! I might end up having one printed for me. That or wait for Chinese third party companies to do the needful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m having trouble loading just that one thingiverse link on my phone, but I’ll take a look tomorrow, might be able to help out.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i ordered a deadeyeVR stock but its not here yet.. its cheaper but idk if the quest stock is compatible with quest 2 controllers

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Okay kids! Get out your glue stick and safety scissors!

The "wide" remixed version on Thingiverse is the one that is actually the same width as the real g2 faceplate. The other one is narrower. The 3d printed "wide" faceplate still ends up being tighter on my glasses than the real faceplate, but they do still fit.

You need thin foam for it to actually work otherwise you just end up with the same FOV as the real faceplate. If you get it right though, dang, it is a very noticeable improvement.

Also worth mentioning I applied screen protectors to my g2 lenses when I got the headset. This mod has the glasses pretty much up against the g2 lenses.

Ceive fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 6, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

100gb is still not the norm. AC Valhalla is 50GB. AC Odyssey was a few GB less. Horizon Zero Dawn PC (with the dlc) is 67gb. Death Stranding is 63gb (And 14gb are movies!). Shadow of Tomb Raider is 40gb. Etc
Hell the super new Cyberpunk is 70gb.
Call of Duty is the stupid exception here, not even close to the norm.

And MOH is is not only 100 GB, that's still just a bit more than usual. I would rise an eyebrow but wouldn't complain that much for that. It's 160 GB.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 6, 2020

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

100gb is still not the norm. AC Valhalla is 50GB. AC Odyssey was a few GB less. Horizon Zero Dawn PC (with the dlc) is 67gb. Death Stranding is 70gb. Shadow of Tomb Raider is 40gb. Etc
Hell the super new Cyberpunk is 70gb.
Call of Duty is the stupid exception here, not even close to the norm.

And MOH is is not only 100 GB, that's still just a bit more than usual. I would rise an eyebrow but wouldn't complain that much for that. It's 160 GB.

It's a monster, that's more space than RDR 2 takes up for me. 160 gb is very much on the notably high end of game sizes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's pretty obvious that MOH needs twice as much space as a normal game because it's in VR and they need the assets for both eyes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Neat. TotF definitely needed work on its crowd - especially in the early fights where the crowd is like three of the same model, doing animations in perfect synchronicity.

I didn't know the Quest had foveated rendering - I thought that was a pipe-dream.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Its fixed as opposed to dynamic (which would require eye tracking), so its easy to notice if you look at your periphery.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Turin Turambar posted:

Why the hell is twice the size of Cyberpunk 2077

and I don't think I can clear up 320gb on any of my two ssds.

you have to install each texture twice, for each eye

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
The additional HDD space required is to simulate the burden weighing every man down who has ever had to face battle, the weight that never gets lifted even when the war is won

Appropriate message to bring morality back to arcade stabby-stab? :mcnally:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Synonymous posted:

The additional HDD space required is to simulate the burden weighing every man down who has ever had to face battle, the weight that never gets lifted even when the war is won

:911:

Also, it's finally happening: both of my quest 2 batteries has reached 10% today. After 53 days since it was delivered to me.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

You need 300+ gigs because they secretly need to run a separate copy of the game for each eye due to a coding issue early in game development.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's a cold day here. I decided to boot up Pistol Whip.

...ok, now I won't feel cold for the rest of the day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a cold day here. I decided to boot up Pistol Whip.

...ok, now I won't feel cold for the rest of the day.

No joke I find myself losing several layers as I play

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I laughed at the end of the second mission when he says "time to find some pants" because I've already gone down to my boxers and t-shirt by that point. That level is a crazy workout!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something I suspected long ago is that I'm not good with heights, and VR confirmed it. In fact, coming back to Pistol Whip, they way I'm killed more in the game is those narrow corridor/platform that float on the void, that end up or a column (in a wider space) you have to avoid by going left or right. The narrow platform and the surrounding void makes me doubt and react slowly, and I always eat the freaking column at the end.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I hope you don't me saying this but that's hilarious! I don't even notice the walkways outside of giving them more places to have enemies pop out. It's just a cool effect and standing over the edge doesn't mess with me for some reason :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you ever play Skyrim VR, do not do Mereidia's quest :barf: